Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jabberwockOG

Re: Thouhgts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 am

FedGuy wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm
1. Your professors were expressing their unique tastes. They would cringe if their attire were called "uniform."
I know generalizations like the one I'm about to make are dangerous, but I think that's a very female way of looking at things. I, and most guys I've discussed this with, have no interest in using clothes to express our tastes. For most guys, clothes are not a means of self-expression. For a guy, usually the two big goals are (1) to NOT be noticed for our clothes and (2) to not have to spend too much time and energy thinking about clothing. The professors likely found a look they were comfortable with and stuck with it because that was the path of least resistance--no need to explore new styles, no need to try on new clothes and see how they fit, no need to figure out which shirt goes with which pants, etc--not a conscious decision to consistently express a particular stylistic preference.
100% agree. For clothing items that fit well, and are well made I buy 5-6 of that item - shirts, shorts/pants,shoes,socks, etc in either blue, gray or black. When they wear out I re-buy if still available. Two goals in my wardrobe - 1) stealthy blend in, 2) waste no time or energy deciding what to wear. Side benefit is to making packing for travel very easy and quick.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am

FedGuy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
1. Your professors were expressing their unique tastes. They would cringe if their attire were called "uniform."
I know generalizations like the one I'm about to make are dangerous, but I think that's a very female way of looking at things. I, and most guys I've discussed this with, have no interest in using clothes to express our tastes. For most guys, clothes are not a means of self-expression. For a guy, usually the two big goals are (1) to NOT be noticed for our clothes and (2) to not have to spend too much time and energy thinking about clothing. The professors likely found a look they were comfortable with and stuck with it because that was the path of least resistance--no need to explore new styles, no need to try on new clothes and see how they fit, no need to figure out which shirt goes with which pants, etc--not a conscious decision to consistently express a particular stylistic preference.
It's because you hate shopping. Admit it. :wink:
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am

dia wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am
FedGuy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
It's because you hate shopping. Admit it. :wink:
Very, very true : )

Taz

Post by Taz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:35 am

When I attended the Naval War College we worn slacks and coats instead of uniforms four days of the week. (The idea was to encourage more open discourse by minimizing service and rank influence.) About 80% of the males (including me) seemed to look a bit uncomfortable. Lot's of ill-fitting blue jackets, khakis, button downs, and father's day ties.
The destination matters.

CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 am

As a tech CFO in the upper Midwest, I simplified my work wardrobe, Jobs-style, five years ago and couldn't be happier. For me, it is jeans with a black, long sleeve shirt Oct-Mar and a short sleeved polo Apr-Sept. About once a month I'll have a client meeting or a Board meeting that I wear dress pants with a shirt.

My complete work wardrobe is 3 pairs of jeans, 3 black long sleeve shirts, 3 black polo shirts plus a handful of colorful tshirts worn underneath in the colder months. Those are good to wear when the long sleeve comes off for serious office ping pong matches.

Kevin

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am

CFOKevin wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 am
As a tech CFO in the upper Midwest, I simplified my work wardrobe, Jobs-style, five years ago and couldn't be happier. For me, it is jeans with a black, long sleeve shirt Oct-Mar and a short sleeved polo Apr-Sept. About once a month I'll have a client meeting or a Board meeting that I wear dress pants with a shirt.

My complete work wardrobe is 3 pairs of jeans, 3 black long sleeve shirts, 3 black polo shirts plus a handful of colorful tshirts worn underneath in the colder months. Those are good to wear when the long sleeve comes off for serious office ping pong matches.

Kevin
Intriguing. Are the jeans blue, black, or both? All the same brand I imagine.
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 am
cantos wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:53 pm
All these posts and I'm surprised no one has mentioned why this has become a thing. It's because of a phenomenon called decision fatigue (google it). The theory is you start the day with a tank of fuel to make decisions. Every decision you make uses up some fuel. By the end of the day/after having made enough decisions, you are out of decision-making fuel, and your decisions after that point are either irrational or conservative (falling back to your preferred status quo). There's some good research to back this up.
It’s also related to willpower fatigue. It’s why you don’t have chocolate on the kitchen counter if you’re trying to lose weight, so as to not have to decide not to eat some every time you walk by.

Last I read, pretty much none of the ego depletion studies have stood up to reproduction. The theory sounds great but there is no evidence that it has any basis in reality. You can google all the articles that talk about this and the general trend of most of the social science work of the past 50 years being crap. It has been a big issue where all these influence studies just don't stand up to scrutiny. The initial papers that get all the press sound great but the later studies don't back up those initial papers.

The reason it is a thing is that people have found they can make money pushing the idea and being the minimalism guru. Some chunk of the population will buy into the scheme and make those people rich selling books and seminars.:)

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:26 am

There is more than one side to this question. Working, retired, old young.
There is always fashion even in the anti society group. You can be a slave to fashion or not. As you age or retire the requirements by society loosen up considerably. 67, retired now. I can wear anything I want. Or the same things. No matter. Most of my interactions are with people in a transitory way. They do not know that I have the same 'uniform" on. And being older, they don't care. There is no judgement.
It is much easier to just get up and dress and you are done. The only times I change that plan is if the clothes I wear have to be practical. Such as, hiking, bike riding, dirty work around the house (overalls).
There is a big freedom in all of this. If you are not old, retired, you have more societal demands on you. Expectations. Yet, you can break free of that. Those around you on a regular basis will get used to it. Just make sure you don't look sloppy, or like you slept in your clothes. That goes for all of us.
If people are taking your picture and you find yourself posted on Walmart people than maybe you should reconsider your clothes decisions.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 am

I can't imagine a person having such a dilemma over what to wear to work that there would be actual stress over it. I would imagine trying to maintain the routine without fail would be the more stressful thing.

An area where I think there is an issue over "uniforms" in clothing for men is trying to figure out the current custom for wearing a suit. I have gotten tired of feeling like an idiot when I go to a wedding, a funeral, or some other important ceremony in a suit and everyone else is anything from jeans and a flannel shirt to at best slacks and jacket with no tie. Even worse is wearing a suit with no tie. The changeover to that uniform occurred at Megacorp over a period of a few months maybe twelve or thirteen years ago. It was hilarious really.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:34 am

I'm sure this person has enough creativity to satisfy a reasonable definition of the word:

"Why I Wear The Exact Same Thing to Work Every Day" - Harper's Bazaar

-----

I wear dark blue scrubs to work, so that's taken care of.

Non-work wear: Gray or black Land's End T-shirts, Wrangler cargo khakis.
daveydoo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:49 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm
No, but I walked into a Walmart wearing a blue short sleeve polo and khakis and had 4-5 people coming up to me asking where items were.
Same! Tank top and orange short-shorts to Hooters. Never again.
Excellent :D
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Clueless

Post by Clueless » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 am

I rock a uniform. I prefer scrubs over professional attire.

My reasons:
1. Running around in tennis shoes is easier than heels
2. My tops and bottoms cost $10-12 a piece
3. NO MORE DRY CLEANING BILLS
4. I save a lot of money avoiding Ann Taylor

That being said, i do notice that people treat me differently in scrubs v professional attire. I find I get significantly better customer service dressed in professional attire. Honestly, this makes me sad. Why judge a book by its cover?

mw1739

Re: Thoughts about wearing a "uniform"/same thing everyday?

Post by mw1739 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:52 am

I’ve been thinking about switching to a uniform for the past couple months. I’ve reached decision fatigue and don’t really like shopping. Glad to see there are plenty of like minds out there.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am

Clueless wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 am

My reasons:

That being said, i do notice that people treat me differently in scrubs v professional attire. I find I get significantly better customer service dressed in professional attire. Honestly, this makes me sad. Why judge a book by its cover?
Aren't scrubs supposed to be "clean" attire retained in the work environment of a hospital. I always get the willies when I see health care people running around in public in their work clothes. In my field when involved in manufacturing work we usually had protective/clean attire that did not leave the work area much less the actual facility.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 am

Cruise wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:52 am
OP: Everyone has a brand, a schema by which they are known. Do you really want your brand to be associated with a lack of fashion sense and eccentricity? Wouldn’t you rather be known as the smart/creative/reliable/<insert here> coworker/subordinate/ prospective promotee?
Anything that will get people to leave me alone and work and let me work on MY projects instead of being the one that gets pulled into everyone else's stalled projects, problems, customer issues, or being tasked with completely unrelated to my job function projects because I am one of the few "doers" in the plant.

I don't want to be promoted. Been there, done that, I don't like directing others, I would rather do it myself.

If wearing weird clothes will help deflect that, maybe I should dress even stranger. I bet I could do stranger if my wife didn't match stuff for me. :D

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am

randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
cantos wrote:
All these posts and I'm surprised no one has mentioned why this has become a thing. It's because of a phenomenon called decision fatigue (google it). The theory is you start the day with a tank of fuel to make decisions. Every decision you make uses up some fuel. By the end of the day/after having made enough decisions, you are out of decision-making fuel, and your decisions after that point are either irrational or conservative (falling back to your preferred status quo). There's some good research to back this up.
It’s also related to willpower fatigue. It’s why you don’t have chocolate on the kitchen counter if you’re trying to lose weight, so as to not have to decide not to eat some every time you walk by.

Last I read, pretty much none of the ego depletion studies have stood up to reproduction. The theory sounds great but there is no evidence that it has any basis in reality. You can google all the articles that talk about this and the general trend of most of the social science work of the past 50 years being crap. It has been a big issue where all these influence studies just don't stand up to scrutiny. The initial papers that get all the press sound great but the later studies don't back up those initial papers.

The reason it is a thing is that people have found they can make money pushing the idea and being the minimalism guru. Some chunk of the population will buy into the scheme and make those people rich selling books and seminars.:)
I have no financial stake in this issue, as a buyer or seller, but I’ve put it to good use. As an example, I wanted to reduce my intake of artificial sweeteners (I had a Diet Peach Snapple addiction). I tried to cut down, repeatedly and without success, but found it pretty easy to just quit, completely, and categorically (I.e., no substitutes).

The same thing happened when I tried to cut down on bread and pasta. It didn’t work until I quit flour products entirely. I’m an insulin dependent diabetic, and my doctor wondered whom I paid to take my blood test for me. :D

I’m not an academic, and honestly don’t care, other than I like being able to wear my UnderArmour uniform and reduce my insulin dose.

ETA: if someone is getting rich on this, it’s not due to my purchase of books.

6bquick

Post by 6bquick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:24 am

dbr wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am
Clueless wrote:

My reasons:

Aren't scrubs supposed to be "clean" attire retained in the work environment of a hospital. I always get the willies when I see health care people running around in public in their work clothes. In my field when involved in manufacturing work we usually had protective/clean attire that did not leave the work area much less the actual facility.
Scrubs here too. Switched recently with job change and, like Clueless mentioned, i love them. Easy, comfy, a bazillion pockets, whats not to love? As far as them being clean, There are "surgery" scrubs that are typically institutionally owned and cleaned that particular employees will change into once they get to work depending on their job; ie surgeon, scrub nurse etc. But there are lots of other jobs that also wear their own scrubs that aren't necessarily going to be saturated with VRE or bodily fluids upon leaving work. Having said that, i don't wear mine to church or anything but i don't exactly think twice about stopping for gas on my way in or grabbing eggs on my way home. HTH.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am

I have no financial stake in this issue, as a buyer or seller, but I’ve put it to good use. As an example, I wanted to reduce my intake of artificial sweeteners (I had a Diet Peach Snapple addiction). I tried to cut down, repeatedly and without success, but found it pretty easy to just quit, completely, and categorically (I.e., no substitutes).

The same thing happened when I tried to cut down on bread and pasta. It didn’t work until I quit flour products entirely. I’m an insulin dependent diabetic, and my doctor wondered whom I paid to take my blood test for me. :D

I’m not an academic, and honestly don’t care, other than I like being able to wear my UnderArmour uniform and reduce my insulin dose.

ETA: if someone is getting rich on this, it’s not due to my purchase of books.
That isn't ego depletion. That is addiction:) The difference is when you go to a restaurant after a long day. If you believe in Ego deplettion, you will order the snapple cause your don't have the will power to resist. Addiction means you will avoid it because you no longer have the habit of drinking it.

bantam222

Post by bantam222 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 am

I rotate through this the same 6-8 work shirts.

I’m don’t have to think about it in the morning (grab next shirt from “work shirt” area of closet) but I’m also not the guy who wears the same thing every day.

Shopping is also easy - go once a year and buy another 4-8 shirts

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 am

bantam222 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 am
I rotate through this the same 6-8 work shirts.

I’m don’t have to think about it in the morning (grab next shirt from “work shirt” area of closet) but I’m also not the guy who wears the same thing every day.

Shopping is also easy - go once a year and buy another 4-8 shirts
Exactly. I think people are putting more thought into not thinking about it than thinking about it would require. :shock:

Clueless

Post by Clueless » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am

DBR,

I have reps stop by the office. I am their customer regardless of my attire.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned if I saw someone in public wearing scrubs. I'd be more concerned about the person coughing all over me in a check out line. :shock:

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 am

mouses wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:45 am
stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:18 am
mouses wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 am
stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:56 am

For the record, I only own 5 or 6 of the same pant and the same with shirts. You don't need 15. This has taken a part of my life and simplified it. I work midnights and never liked wondering what I was going to wear, I'm not good at matching colors and all that comes with it. My uniform was a godsend and I am glad I did it so long ago.

For the record, once you find a nice pair that fits which I did, I now buy my uniform on Amazon and haven't shopped for clothes in years.
You need 15 if the manufacturer stops making the item. 15 lets you coast for a few years. Like, it is impossible to find natural waist jeans for women nowadays. Even the ones that claim to be ride several inches below the waist.
With all due respect, I think you are overthinking it. If they discontinue them, I'm sure you can find something similar on Amazon. I am a 53 year old male and I do need an expanded waist and Lee has exactly what I need, but many others make the same type of pants. Having said that, if you want to buy 15, go for it. 5 to 7 has worked for me and when they start looking worn, I replace them.
I'm not talking about an expanded waist. I'm talking about sitting at the natural waist, not lower. I have spent a good deal of time trying to find natural waist jeans sold currently, and they do not exist, despite false claims by the manufacturers.
I don't even know what they are, but good luck finding them. I guess if they are that hard to find, you might as well buy as many as you can. Did you try Amazon?
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:34 am

dbr wrote:
Clueless wrote:

My reasons:

I have always wondered aboit this too! I don't want my healthcare providers bringing street germs into the "clean" facility, nor do I want them taking hospital germs out into the street...

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:36 am

I have a capsule wardrobe, which is as close as I can get to wearing the same thing without being too eccentric or getting bored. Like others who've posted, I don't love shopping and I don't have lots of fashion sense. Many women I know spend a significant amount of time "researching" their fashion choices, putting outfits together, laundering special items separately.... I want to do other things with my time.

Regarding scrubs in the outside world: I was always taught not to do it. Have I done it? Yes. Are germs everywhere anyway? Yes.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am

Posted by Veiled
being too eccentric
I know what you mean. At work they call me Johnny Cash because of my black outfit, but I always make it a point to tell them, you know I change my clothes every day. I work with a fun crew and I joke around a lot with them, but I know some people think it's odd, but so what, I am a bit eccentric. My daughter's future father-in-law is a clothes horse and when I told him about my uniform wardrobe, he looked at me like I was nuts. He also is big hat - no cattle type of guy. I know they have big money problems, but he dresses like a movie star and drives a leased Mercedes. Me on the other hand drive a 09 Nissan Versa and wear a black uniform because I rather put my money in my net worth, not to impress people I won't like anyway. But I actually like my uniform and feel comfortable in it, so it has nothing to do with money. I just don't like to worry about what I'm going to wear every day.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:15 pm

dia wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 am
Your clothing is your personal brand. Something to be said for consistency (marketing person here).

As a female, this feels wrong. But males have it a bit less intense in the wardrobe department. I would change it up a bit. You don't need to go beyond the basics, but show a touch of creativity. Be interesting.
I'm female and have worn some kind of self-imposed "uniform" since junior high.

Today at 56 and semi-retired my "uniform" most of the year is mock turtleneck, sleeveless vest and jeans. Jewelry is how I "dress things up".

Coato

Post by Coato » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm

I went to this concept a few years back and it is actually unbelievably enjoyable to reduce down. In my case I have 40 items of clothing total (including accessories, but not including specialty stuff for skiing, backpacking etc.) that all go together, are all some sort of wool (no smell, barely ever wash, seem better made), quality leather, a good watch I can wear all the time...

I think of it as a uniform because I had to eliminate everything that doesn't go with everything else. Everything I own is grey, blue or navy and the shoes are brown.

A few things:

1. Not everyone would like doing this kind of research, I thoroughly enjoyed it and constructing the wardrobe was a hobby. But there isn't really much choice everyday. So no tough decisions in the morning, but lots of fun study at night.

2. It is really expensive to buy well-made items that can stand up to constant wear. But I do think the washer/dryer damages clothes more than anything else and will clothes rarely need the washer, and never the dryer.

3. I don't want to sound preachy, everyone can live however they like, but I have enjoyed setting arbitrary self-limits. It gives ME a good feeling to know I have a disciplined, thought-out plan with the wardrobe.

4. You don't have a few extra sets of clothing for when you gain a few pounds, so the holidays are tough.

5. For the 40 items I probably spent north of $6000 (half that is a watch and three pairs of shoes). So it wasn't cheap. But I wear the same thing to work as I do on weekends so I don't think it is too bad. Definitely a choice. None of the items are luxury names so I think I paid for craftsmanship and not name, but who knows. One company has replaced two collared shirts free after they frayed after a year of heavy use, so sometimes you do get what you pay for.

6. Some things will last forever (thick wool coat) and some won't (coated rain shell) so some things aren't worth spending on.

7. People who live in more variable climates might find this more difficult.

khh

Post by khh » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:46 pm
I think if you are a genius/billionaire people will let it slide (or even envy it), but otherwise it looks lazy and/or like you have no imagination and/or you put no effort into it. Inevitably there are going to be people that think you are re-wearing dirty clothes too.
Had to chuckle, as that reminded me of the scene from Bull Durham where Crash Davis is scolding Nuke for having fungus on his shower shoes =>

"Win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it only means you are a slob."

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:47 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:49 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm
No, but I walked into a Walmart wearing a blue short sleeve polo and khakis and had 4-5 people coming up to me asking where items were.
Same! Tank top and orange short-shorts to Hooters. Never again.
:shock:

Made a killing in tips though. :beer

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Clueless wrote:
I find the opposite. In most metropolitan areas, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hundred guys in generic suits or sport coat-polo-slacks combos. But when I'm out in public in scrubs, people assume I'm a physician (I'm not) and the level of customer service actually goes up. I even had someone pull up next to me at a gas station one time and thank me for saving lives. It was at midnight though and I'm pretty sure he was drunk. :beer
dbr wrote:
That's a really interesting point, but when properly done, it's more like this:
- You can wear scrubs from home to work but need to cover them with a clean lab coat when you go into patient care areas.
- You can change into scrubs *within* patient care areas but then need to cover them with a clean lab coat when you go outside that area (like to the cafeteria).

That said, it's a well-known fact that physicians are immune to germs so they don't need to wear head or face coverings in the OR. :P

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
2. The main advantage of having standardized clothes is the reduction of the cognitive load of getting dressed. The saved capacity of System 2 can then be used for more important tasks such as writing books and winning Nobel prizes.
Mark Zuckerberg made Facebook a "success" by wearing the same T-shirt every day.

Now if he would only move on to wearing different, complicated, multi-color, multi-item clothes to move his cognitive load onto clothes and stop messing around with our internet... :|

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
cantos wrote:

The idea goes back to William James and his writings about habit. The idea was that every habit created reduces the need to make a decision thus freeing the mind to focus on other more interesting ventures.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 pm

stemikger wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am
At work they call me Johnny Cash because of my black outfit, but ...
I would take this as a massive compliment; no need to explain anything to them. You're the Man in Black.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 pm
stemikger wrote:
I would take this as a massive compliment; no need to explain anything to them. You're the Man in Black.
LOL. I definitely take it as a compliment!! I love him. It even fits me more because I work midnights. Johnny Cash working midnights at a Wall Street Law Firm. That has been my life for 23 years and hopefully many more. When I retire, I might wear all white for my last day just to throw everyone off and signify my freedom from corporate America. lol.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:27 am

It’s helpful to know what industry you work in, as the tech CFO indicated. Looks like many here are posting from medical and tech industries. I’ve worked in several different industries, and my wardrobe varied significantly depending which. I work with a lot from the creative class now, and it’s not only helpful but enjoyable to wear well designed clothing.

But more important than what you wear is how well it fits. Wardrobe or not, size things appropriately and get a good tailor. I don’t care so much what people wear, or if they wear the same thing, but when it doesn’t fit well, it looks sloppy and unprofessional. No self respecting medical professional, manager, salesperson, or customer service provider should wear something that, e.g. is bursting at the gut (or biceps), pools all over your shoes, or makes your pant waistline and bottom look saggy because it’s not properly sized and/or tailored. It’s common to see a young professional with a jacket (or lab coat) too big whose sleeve will rest almost in their palms, and then they fidget with their sleeves, which makes them look insecure and nervous.

Having your clothes properly pressed also makes all the difference between two people wearing the same uniform. It’s these little details that make a world of a difference. Just like some here might be quick to judge someone driving a flashy car as spendy, a lot of people are going to subconsciously make assumptions about a person wearing an ill fitting outfit. One of my colleague dresses almost the same way every day, with khakis and a nice button down shirt, but he always opens up the top 2-3 buttons and shows a really ratty white crewneck undershirt beneath it, and it looks very sloppy and disheveled. It doesn’t help that the shirt is oversized, as it exaggerates the sense of disarray. It almost looks creepy if you walk into his office and it looks as though he’s in the act of getting dressed or undressed.

Wearing a uniform is a great idea, though I would suggest it doesn’t mean you have to buy a dozen of the exact same item from the same manufacturer. Despite it sounding counterintuitive, a number of the world’s top designers wear a uniform. Tom Ford, for example, almost always wears a black coat and a perfectly crisp white shirt. I’m thinking of stemikger who wears all black. But Ford’s choice is well thought out, as this is a near timeless way to dress, and is flexible. There’s a reason Issey Miyake and Jobs coordinated around a black turtleneck. If you’re only wearing Dockers and a colorful polo, there’s really no changing it up if your day’s events and nature of your job demands it. If you are a doctor or some other manager, and wear some nice shoes with a crisp pale blue button down shirt, you can always have a nice coat and even tie lying around in case you need to run to an important meeting with a patient/client, or even if there’s an after work evening event to go to. If you’re wearing trainers, forget it. Certain colors, too, particularly darker ones, are easier to dress down or dress up, and are more versatile.

I spent some time in cowboy country recently, and I was so impressed by what the ranchers wore—it was basically a uniform with their fairly snug blue jeans, light colored button dress shirt, fat leather belt, cowboy boots, and wide brimmed hats. They always started out the day clean, their clothes fit well, and suited their work. On weekend get togethers or church it was basically the same thing, except you could tell it was a higher quality jean, shirt, and yes, even a cleaner pair of boots and a beautiful white Stetson that never saw any mud. Basically the same clothing, with some variation.

I used to work in the medical field, and my observation is that both scrubs and professional attire can work very well, and suggest different activities in the professional’s day. But the often oversized and long white lab coat I am not a fan of—it’s a cold, sterile, and while official looking is more of a piece of armor between patient and professional than anything else. Add the stethoscope and all the other tools poking out from the many pockets, and it’s a clear indication to keep your distance. Scrubs are a much softer, accessible look.

I’m reading here some folks describing the use of having a uniform is really to reduce the decisions you need to make and focus on what matters. I look at it differently. Getting ready in the morning, including washing up, helps me prepare and concentrate on what I am going to accomplish that day. This includes what I will wear. If I have an important meeting that day, I play it out in my mind, and I do this while I’m getting dressed. It focuses my attention and increases my sense of preparedness as I am doing everything I can to prepare myself. Sometimes, depending on who I’m meeting with, I will adjust my outfit to be more relatable.

In my line of work, I wear a wide variety of clothes, but there is a lot of similarity and pattern in what I wear. Not quite a uniform, but in the long winters it’s often wool flannel pants, a nice leather dress shoe, crisp dress shirt (white or pale blue), and often a sleek merino or cashmere cardigan that is a softer, friendlier version of a coat. If there are meetings with other mid level managers and/or supervisors, I’ll wear a tie that day and bring a coat, all of which layers nicely over the same outfit. On weekends, I lose the dress shirt and wear a t-shirt, sometimes with the same cardigan jackets. Instead of flannels, maybe corduroys or jeans. A blend of sleek modern pieces with some texture. This essentially adds some country to a more modern urban look, and while professional, makes me more approachable.

As the years go by, I find myself in a continual progression towards clean, modern simplicity, much as they do in Scandinavia. I’m getting rid of the variety in colors, style, and everything is more timeless. Maybe in 10-15 years I’ll have a uniform, with the most variety appearing in my shoes (oxfords vs derbies, brogues vs wingtips), and classic patterns (houndstooth, herringbone, princes of wales check) in my overcoats.

Mimi2

Post by Mimi2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm

I have no money to speak of and an extravagant wardrobe due to the excess available in our American lifestyle. I may average an annual expense of $300. I can express myself in any way I please including dressing down as a lower middle class citizen when the occasion presents itself. I admire anyone with an individual aesthetic they have developed to please themselves. Usually a unique personality shines through.
Mimi

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
stemikger wrote:
There was a Goth-type guy in our office (all black attire, all the time) who had a very scary nickname. He seemed to like it though as he definitely wanted the attention. He didn't last long though in a traditional office setting.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:36 pm

angelescrest wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:27 am
I’m reading here some folks describing the use of having a uniform is really to reduce the decisions you need to make and focus on what matters. I look at it differently. Getting ready in the morning, including washing up, helps me prepare and concentrate on what I am going to accomplish that day. This includes what I will wear. If I have an important meeting that day, I play it out in my mind, and I do this while I’m getting dressed. It focuses my attention and increases my sense of preparedness as I am doing everything I can to prepare myself. Sometimes, depending on who I’m meeting with, I will adjust my outfit to be more relatable.
That assumes you have a lot of time in the morning to make sure you get the outfit right. Some of us prefer to sleep in a bit more. :)

The solution is to lay out everything the night before, but that still can be a cognitive load.
As the years go by, I find myself in a continual progression towards clean, modern simplicity, much as they do in Scandinavia.
Maybe Ikea will come out with a clothing line. :)

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm
Why would one need 15 of the same uniform? I had one white shirt and one white slacks when I worked in a hospital. I wore the same thing every.single.day. I washed them when I got home and wore them the next day.

So I can see owning 2 or 3 shirts and 2 or 3 slacks, but not 15 of anything. Just buy new ones when something wears out.
That sounds like a lot of washing. Hand washing?

If I find a shirt I really like, I buy ~five of them. Not really a uniform, but a backup when I don’t want to decide. “I can always wear that.

Bonus: I can throw them all in the wash together since they’re “like colors.”
Sometimes I keep one unworn (never worn) as I’m bound to get pasta sauce on one of them.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

SR II

Post by SR II » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
I just don't see how it is complicated to have a few pair of jeans and different colored polos. I mean, pretty much any polo would match jeans. I think if you are a genius/billionaire people will let it slide (or even envy it), but otherwise it looks lazy and/or like you have no imagination and/or you put no effort into it. Inevitably there are going to be people that think you are re-wearing dirty clothes too.
I'm a female that worked in a really laid back, artistic studio environment before I retired August 1. The last couple of years I bought about 10 to 12 different colored polo shirts (a few of the same color if I really liked it) and several pairs of jeans. I wore a polo and jeans everyday, making sure I didn't wear the same color polo (even if it wasn't the same shirt) twice in a week. Nobody ever said a thing. So easy!

My husband did the same thing at his job for the last five or so years before he retired.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:22 pm

azurekep wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:36 pm
angelescrest wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:27 am
That assumes you have a lot of time in the morning to make sure you get the outfit right. Some of us prefer to sleep in a bit more. :)

The solution is to lay out everything the night before, but that still can be a cognitive load.
As the years go by, I find myself in a continual progression towards clean, modern simplicity, much as they do in Scandinavia.
Maybe Ikea will come out with a clothing line. :)
I spend about maybe 3 minutes getting dressed, less than some guys I know spend on the toilet.

Plenty of Scandinavian clothing designers around, but I would NOT be surprised if IKEA sold clothes; who would’ve thought Amazon would be doing so when they started out with books?

Post by 2015 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Mimi2 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm
I have no money to speak of and an extravagant wardrobe due to the excess available in our American lifestyle. I may average an annual expense of $300. I can express myself in any way I please including dressing down as a lower middle class citizen when the occasion presents itself. I admire anyone with an individual aesthetic they have developed to please themselves. Usually a unique personality shines through.
Mimi
About 100 years ago now...I read in some designer's book that people without taste, buy style. People with taste, create it (without having to spend a lot of money).

FlexibleSpender

Post by FlexibleSpender » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Funny thread! I typically wear the same thing one day per week. I always think that if someone only came to the office on that day, they would think I only had one pair of clothes.

Yesterday, I went to wear brown shirt and khaki shorts but then I felt like the UPS guy so I had to nix that idea.

Easier to spend some time up front and buy clothes that match well together and have "outfits". This takes out the guess work.

Plus with guys' clothing it is typically pretty easy being that most men's clothing is basic colors that work together.

Thread reminds me of this.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:39 pm

In college years:

1. Me: Total kiss principle.

Blue jeans (cheaper than non blue jeans in the 1969 years for at least 10 years of my higher ed years.
Long sleeved white dress shirts, sleeves worn rolled up. ( $0.25 at the college thrift shop, and few college students bought them.)
Converse tennis shoes, or Red Wing work boots: The only two pair of shoes I had. The boots lasted decades. Converse was cheap.
There was no less expensive attire at the time of my college years that I could find in that era.

(I unknowingly became known for this attire... as I had a lot of on campus activities, and jobs in various labs and animal facilities, not to mention commonly taking 18 to 21 units at a time.. in part to get more for the tuition dollar.)

I commonly was barefoot anytime I was at the home base.

Later years (at least the last 31 years: Safari pants from REI (or other "bush pants")
Any collared shirt.
Keen Sandals and socks after Keen came out, prior to that Rockport shoes.

2. My eldest son:

In college: soccer shorts, indoor soccer shoes and socks, white t-shirt usually, sweat shirt as his main cold weather addition. He did this for 4 years at U of Wash, 3 years at LMU in Germany, and at U of Michigan now, I suspect he wears long pants finally.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm

It works for Mark Zuckerberg and did for Steve Jobs. I don't do it as rigorously as they did, but I wear pretty much the same stuff every week.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 pm

linenfort wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm
That sounds like a lot of washing. Hand washing?
I could not afford to buy more than one set of work clothes back then, but washing/drying in machines was free to me.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
I just don't see how it is complicated to have a few pair of jeans and different colored polos.
Your response is quite different from FedGuy's above. Do you mean that all guys are not the same?

Victoria
Indeed, we aren’t. I actually enjoy wearing nicely tailored, well-made, classically stylish clothing. I would hate wearing the same thing every day.

f35phixer

Post by f35phixer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:38 am

We had a young engineer working for us, wore the same black pants every day. I gave him the call sign SPEED - Same Pants Every EFFIN day!!! :D

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 am

f35phixer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:38 am
We had a young engineer working for us, wore the same black pants every day. I gave him the call sign SPEED - Same Pants Every EFFIN day!!! :D
This is what I was a little afraid of. I didn't want people to think I was unhygienic. How do you know he didn't have 5 pairs of the same pants.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am

azurekep wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
stemikger wrote:
There was a Goth-type guy in our office (all black attire, all the time) who had a very scary nickname. He seemed to like it though as he definitely wanted the attention. He didn't last long though in a traditional office setting.
Yeah, I get that. Especially with all the crazy people out there who lose it at the work place. We have a few of them also. My black outfit is a dress black shirt and Lee casuals. Very similar to the way Johnny Cash used to wear except I wear plain black loafers. For the record, I have been wearing the same shoes by Dexter just as long. I buy them on Amazon and they last about a year and are extremely comfortable.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:02 am

FlexibleSpender wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:16 pm
Funny thread! I typically wear the same thing one day per week. I always think that if someone only came to the office on that day, they would think I only had one pair of clothes.

Yesterday, I went to wear brown shirt and khaki shorts but then I felt like the UPS guy so I had to nix that idea.

Easier to spend some time up front and buy clothes that match well together and have "outfits". This takes out the guess work.

Plus with guys' clothing it is typically pretty easy being that most men's clothing is basic colors that work together.

Thread reminds me of this.
LOL. I saw this before and I love it!!