Comments on Kia Soul?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
protagonist

Comments on Kia Soul?

Post by protagonist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm

I have driven Hondas since the mid-80s and have been extremely pleased. My assumption (backed up by reviewers year after year) is that, generally, Honda and Toyota make the best cars. Whenever I have branched out to other manufacturers I have been burned. Reliability is very important to me as I tend to drive cars until they die.

Recently I have read very good reports about the Kia Soul, eg: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... sover-suv/ . I drove one yesterday and liked it.

But I am skeptical. I am trying to choose between a small crossover SUV for cargo space vs. a sedan like a Honda Accord (or possibly Civic) or Toyota Camry.

Most Important factors to me:
1. Reliability. (Great for Camry, Accord. ??? for Soul- supposedly much better in later years
2. Adequate leg room in driver's seat. (Yes for Soul, Camry and Accord)
3. Cargo space. (Soul>>>Camry or Accord)
4. Safe winter driving and handling in inclement weather (??? for all 3- no AWD)

Moderately important factors (less than above but still important):
1. Comfort (I haven't enough experience to compare)
2. How far one can drive between fill-ups (Camry>Accord>Soul)
3. Economy (Camry>Accord>Soul)
4. Audio system (very important but I suppose I can always get after-market if necessary (Soul has interface with Android. Camry does not)
5. Good heating system (???)
6. New "smart-driving" features (Camry probably best in base model)
7. Ease of city parking (Soul best- much shorter than other two)
8. Resale Value (I would guess Camry and Accord better than Soul)
9. Noise level

Not important at all:
1. Color
2. other superficial appearance factors
3. Rear seat space- don't need space for more than 2 passengers

So I am interested in the experience of Soul drivers.
- How do you like your car? Which year and trim level?
- Please comment on important factors above- especially where the Soul excels or is deficient
- It's easy to find independent mechanics to work on Toyotas and Hondas, but what about the Kia Soul?
- Techradar recommends the "Plus" trim level. Is it worth the extra money over the "Basic", and if so, why?
- Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance

VictoriaF

Re: Comments on Kia Soul?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Not important at all:
1. Color
I don't care about color esthetics but after I've read that white cars are more noticeable by other drivers I buy only white cars. I consider it a free safety feature.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

JDot

Post by JDot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:47 pm

I've never considered myself a fan of Kia. I still wouldn't buy one over a Toyota or Honda if the price was the same. However, we recently did a 10 day road trip in California and rented a car. They gave us a Kia Soul. Two adults and our toddler with a car seat. We were pleasantly surprised by the utility. I think it's because it's a box. If I were looking for this type of car and the Soul was able to undercut the others, I'd consider it.

I'd probably look at the used market for a Toyota/sion xb (whatever it's called). They are supposedly some of the most reliable cars ever made. I believe they stopped making them recently. I'm not sure if something similar replaced it from Toyota.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:09 pm

I am a fan of Kia. I have 4. One is a 2016 Soul base. I love it. I'm 58, it has everything in a car I could ever want. Easy for older people to get in & out of. As great as this car is, I would not have bought without that. My oldest Kia is now 6 years, 2 are 5 years. Not a lick of trouble with any of them, but I know we are just getting to the repair era of a car. It's solid and a nice vehicle for wife and I for around town. I needed a good reliable affordable vehicles and Kia has filled the bill. Resale is of little interest to me because I buy new & run forever. Had a Chevy Lumina (I Loved that car) for 16 years. Worst thing about the Kia? The shitty tires you get.
Too soon old, too late smart.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

I don't care about color esthetics but after I've read that white cars are more noticeable by other drivers I buy only white cars. I consider it a free safety feature.

Victoria
My wife won't buy a white car after reading about a driver in a white car driving into a ravine on the side of the road somewhere in a snow storm and not getting discovered for weeks. International orange is probably the best color for safety :)

I talked with some Kia Soul (EV) owners recently at an EV event and they liked the vehicle (not just the EV part).

Animal House

Post by Animal House » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:24 pm

I have a base 2011 Soul I purchased used in 2016 with 65K miles. I wanted a small car with lots of trunk space for driving around town and did not want spend a lot on it. The Soul fit the bill. My other vehicle is a 1 ton, long bed dually, so the Soul is comparatively quiet, but I would not say it was all that quiet for a small car. I don't baby it and I still average 32 mpg. Mine has the 1.6L engine and 5 speed manual transmission. I purposefully bought the 1.6L (versus the 2.0L) because until recently, the 2.0L had a timing belt and the 1.6L a timing chain. If you are looking at new, then that won't be a factor. I have put 10K miles on the car and so far have had zero issues. I do my own maintenance and the car is easy to work on -- any import mechanic should be able to work on it. The biggest negative is depreciation. I got the car from a dealer for a no haggle price which was 50% off the original sticker price. I considered that to be a great price. However, I imagine the previous owner traded / sold it for much less 50%. Given the depreciation, I would not recommend buying a new Soul.

Cargo space is excellent. With the backseat folded down, I can angle 8' 2x4s in and still close the hatch. With the backseat up, there is room for 6-8 paper bags of groceries.

My sound system is very basic. I think the non-base models come with more speakers and a subwoofer.

The 1.6L 5 speed really (and I do mean really) needs a 6th gear for the highway. At 65-75, the engine is way to busy for my liking. Not a big deal for short interstate hops, but it would get long after a 3-4 hours. As I said about, I get 32 mpg, so I could do 320 miles and still have a few gallons left.

I also looked hard at Scion xB's, but the few that were for sale around me either wanted too much or burnt a ton of oil. There was a recall on some of the xB's for oil consumption, but to qualify the car had to burn greater than 1L / 1000 miles.

I live in the south, so snow is not something I can comment on.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free.” | ― Nikos Kazantzakis

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
My wife won't buy a white car after reading about a driver in a white car driving into a ravine on the side of the road somewhere in a snow storm and not getting discovered for weeks. International orange is probably the best color for safety :)
Your wife is biased by the Availability Heuristic. The very reason the story is so memorable is an indication that the situation is uncommon. Let's get back to the basics:

Risk is a product of Impact and Probability, i.e., R = I x P.

P: Probability of being hit by another car is higher than probability of driving into a ravine.
I: Impact of being hit by another car can be much higher than impact of being bored while others look for you.

Thus, white cars are better in mitigating risk.

As for orange, it stands out in daylight but not in dusk. From physics: white is the only color that reflects light across the visible spectrum.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm

I've driven three different Kia models for a week+ as rental cars:
Forte, Optima, and Rio... I have not driven the Soul, but my impression of Kia from the other models was lousy. They did not handle well, noisy, and just unappealing 'feel'. I actually enjoyed the Hyundai rental cars I've had though, which is another low price Korean manufacturer.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Not important at all:
1. Color

Victoria
I have always wondered what the safest color for a car was?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm

rec7 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Not important at all:
1. Color

Victoria
Have I convinced you?

Victoria

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:15 pm

rec7 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Not important at all:
1. Color

Victoria
Safest from what? Do you know why zebras have stripes? Sometimes blending in with the heard is a good thing. Where I'm from, cars that aren't a subdued black/blue/grey are considered "bear bait" when the CHiPs are out giving speeding tickets.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Safest from a wreck. I don't speed so I don't need to worry about CHIPS.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

paramedic

Post by paramedic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm

I had a Kia Soul (2014 model, I believe?). It wasn't bad, but it had a lot of road noise. Perhaps the models have improved, but the road noise struck me as particularly annoying at the time. A friend of mine with the same make/model/year also commented on the road noise. My subsequent vehicle was a Chevrolet Camaro, which to me seemed notably quieter. Go figure!

Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I would consider a Mazda over a Kia. Have you driven a CX-3 or CX-5? They're getting rave reviews. I have a Mazda3 and love it.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm
rec7 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Not important at all:
1. Color

Victoria
Have I convinced you?

Victoria
Here you go Victoria
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-a ... tions.html

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm

paramedic wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm
I had a Kia Soul (2014 model, I believe?). It wasn't bad, but it had a lot of road noise. Perhaps the models have improved, but the road noise struck me as particularly annoying at the time. A friend of mine with the same make/model/year also commented on the road noise.
My experience, too, for a Kia Soul rental (don't know the year). I liked the car in theory, but the road noise was interminable. I thought it might be me.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

rec7 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
rec7 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Not important at all:
1. Color

Victoria
Have I convinced you?

Victoria
Here you go Victoria
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-a ... tions.html
Thank you, rec7,

The article authors tiptoe around the issue and hedge with "not enough research." But as, physically speaking, white reflects the entire color spectrum, it should be more visible under all conditions. I agree that it's not an excuse to drive more dangerously, but when all else is equal, it may prevent some collisions.

Victoria

meebers

Post by meebers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I have had various manufactures cars over the years, the last being a Toyoto Highlander. Nothing wrong about it, but when it came time to trade we usually visit all the dealers in town and make a decision. This takes a week or two. Last time we got a new 2013 Kia Sorento V6, it has been a wonderful car. Build quality is great, no problems yet. But back to the Soul, I like them, they are everywhere here in Florida.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

The article authors tiptoe around the issue and hedge with "not enough research." But as, physically speaking, white reflects the entire color spectrum, it should be more visible under all conditions. I agree that it's not an excuse to drive more dangerously, but when all else is equal, it may prevent some collisions.

Victoria
https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/def ... Safety.pdf

There might still be some opportunity for research in this area.

https://www.carloans.com.au/top-10/top- ... s-for-cars

Apparently the Aussies aren’t convinced that white is the way to go. And they don’t even have blizzards and snow-filled ravines to worry about :)

On the Kia, I would check if one of the local dealerships offers rentals. My Toyota dealer does, which is a great way for an extended test drive. Also, what does Consumer Reports say about the vehicle and Kia in general?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/def ... Safety.pdf

There might still be some opportunity for research in this area.

https://www.carloans.com.au/top-10/top- ... s-for-cars

Apparently the Aussies aren’t convinced that white is the way to go. And they don’t even have blizzards and snow-filled ravines to worry about :)
I agree with the Aussies that contrast matters. If all cars on the road were white, a car of another color would be more visible. However, even though there are statistically more white cars, there is enough mix of colors for this not to be a deciding factor.

They also make a good point about yellow. School buses are not safer because they are yellow, they are safer because other drivers are required to be more careful around them.

Victoria

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 pm

OP, have you considered Kia Niro; it is their new hybrid model and has a utility feel to it. It showed up recently as one of the top Consumer Reports cars for reliability. Combined MPG in the 50's got my attention. I drive a 2016 Camry and I have been happy with it. I like the free maintenance for 2 years feature. But I am thinking I should have perhaps purchased a utility car. Before the Camry I drove a 2004 Matrix for about 12 years. It was a very reliable and economical car with a utility feel to it, and I miss that car.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Like many of my generation (age 48), I had a honda as my first car and have a bias towards Toyota and Honda, and have always viewed them as having superior quality and durability to other makes. In reality, the Korean companies and particularly Kia, have probably surpassed them them in reliability and quality, but have not yet replaced them in reputation. In particular I find the Kia Soul to be a very compelling vehicle both in terms of quality and practicality. I would recommend it over a traditional Honda or Toyota sedan.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Tonygis

Post by Tonygis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:16 am

I purchased a 2017 Kia Soul base model about a month ago. I got it for $16200 out the door. I am impressed by the car. The only negative is that it is a little slow when accelerating (1.4 engine).

naha66

Post by naha66 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 am

JoMoney wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm
I've driven three different Kia models for a week+ as rental cars:
Forte, Optima, and Rio... I have not driven the Soul, but my impression of Kia from the other models was lousy. They did not handle well, noisy, and just unappealing 'feel'. I actually enjoyed the Hyundai rental cars I've had though, which is another low price Korean manufacturer.
They are the same company. They share platform, engines, transmissions etc. Most of their models are the same except for cosmetics. The Kia Soul is one of the exceptions. Some of their models are even built on the same assembly line.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2 ... 73961a1c7a

cathyr

Post by cathyr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am

My parents both have kia souls. My mom had one on a 3 year lease (2012 ish, I think) - after it came off lease, my father bought it out, and is still driving it. My mom got a new one after the lease finished. They both love them. I've probably only driven them a couple of times - they seem fine, but I think this was more local driving. Cargo space is definitely optimized - they've fit all kinds of furniture, home depot stuff, etc in there.

Good luck!

Cathy

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am

I drove a Kia Soul for 2 months as a rental. It was OK, but the reason I'd never buy one is that is has really bad blind spots because of the wide roof pillars (do a web-search on "kia soul blind spot" to find info on this). I was afraid to change lanes for the entire 2 months. I'd suggest checking your local Enterprise to see if they have a Soul available as a cheap rental for a few days to try it out.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am

VictoriaF wrote:
rec7 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Not important at all:
1. Color

Victoria
Have I convinced you?

Victoria
I know I am going to get in trouble questioning an accomplished statistician, but you have not convinced me. You say white cars are more noticeable. I believe you. However, does that translate into statistical significance when it comes to safety. to the extent that it should drive one's purchase decision?

Let's say that orange golf shirts were shown to be less prone to lightning strikes than silver ones. Given the relatively low frequency of lightning strikes on golfers, combined with the relatively small difference in susceptibility to lighting strikes based on shirt color, would the difference in safety be great enough to let it drive a golfer's fashion decision?

Also, what about for Northern drivers? I would guess that the greatest accident risk is under winter driving conditions. Are white cars more visible than orange ones in a snowstorm?

(playing devil's advocate here. I still don't care much about car color, other than I don't want a black car because they get too hot. I do care about whether the Soul will fit my needs. Others may feel differently, even if Victoria is right and I am wrong, which is highly likely.)
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm
paramedic wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm
I had a Kia Soul (2014 model, I believe?). It wasn't bad, but it had a lot of road noise. Perhaps the models have improved, but the road noise struck me as particularly annoying at the time. A friend of mine with the same make/model/year also commented on the road noise.
My experience, too, for a Kia Soul rental (don't know the year). I liked the car in theory, but the road noise was interminable. I thought it might be me.
I currently drive a 2006 Honda Element, and basically love it, but I imagine almost any car will be an improvement regarding road noise and I will perceive it as quiet after 12 years in the Element. Likewise, my gf's Honda Fit is a great car but very noisy. I imagine that is an issue with most "cheap cars". I'll report back after a test drive.

One big issue for me is that there is no Kia dealer in my town, whereas I can walk to Honda and Toyota dealers. The nearest Kia dealer is 25 mins away by car. Not a problem if my local mechanic can work on the Soul, but definitely a hassle if I have to take it to the dealer.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 am

boglegirl wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am
I drove a Kia Soul for 2 months as a rental. It was OK, but the reason I'd never buy one is that is has really bad blind spots because of the wide roof pillars (do a web-search on "kia soul blind spot" to find info on this). I was afraid to change lanes for the entire 2 months. I'd suggest checking your local Enterprise to see if they have a Soul available as a cheap rental for a few days to try it out.
That's an interesting approach, to rent one for a few days rather than rely on a quick test drive. Thank you for the suggestion, Boglegirl!

Do the other Kia owners on this site also have a problem with the "blind spot"? I had that issue with my Honda Element,as did my gf with her Fit. In both cases I purchased convex stick-on side view mirrors at Autozone for a couple of dollars each (like truck drivers have) and they solved the problem. I would actually recommend them for any car. They don't fall off and are probably the best under-$5 investment you can make that could save your life.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 pm
With my luck, I'd buy a bright orange car and then wind up driving into a ravine full of discarded traffic cones. :D
Stay on target...

Animal House

Post by Animal House » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am

protagonist wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 am
boglegirl wrote:
That's an interesting approach, to rent one for a few days rather than rely on a quick test drive. Thank you for the suggestion, Boglegirl!

Do the other Kia owners on this site also have a problem with the "blind spot"? I had that issue with my Honda Element,as did my gf with her Fit. In both cases I purchased convex stick-on side view mirrors at Autozone for a couple of dollars each (like truck drivers have) and they solved the problem. I would actually recommend them for any car. They don't fall off and are probably the best under-$5 investment you can make that could save your life.
Honestly, I have never noticed a blind spot. Between using the mirrors and shoulder checks, no drama so far :happy
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free.” | ― Nikos Kazantzakis

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am

Another question for Kia owners....

Kias come with great warranties.

Have you had any issues getting warranty service on your car?

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Animal House wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am
protagonist wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 am
boglegirl wrote:

Honestly, I have never noticed a blind spot. Between using the mirrors and shoulder checks, no drama so far :happy
Until I read boglegirls post I never thought of a blind spot either.

Of my 4 Kia's (actually 5, one was totaled) only one needed warranty work. That happened on a '12 Forte. Issue with the wiring harness & Kia replaced N/C. Was told it was about $2000 repair, of course that's dealership price.

Quick story about the totaled 2010 Kia Sedona. We wanted a van for the college years so we test drove Chevy, Dodge, Honda & Toyota. First two, eh. Latter 2 very nice but pretty steep. Thought I'd have to go the used route but wife says what about Kia. Never entered my mind. We test drove it, she really liked it, price was right. This was basically her vehicle to drive to work. 6 months later on her way to work a Pontiac something crosses median and slams head on into her. She was going about 35 mph, other driver about 45. Fire rescue had to cut him out of car. She got out on her own. When we went for a replacement vehicle she'd wanted another Sedona. We became Kia fans because of quality,price,safety,features & warranty. We knew very little about Kia before this and I guess Hyundai saved them from bankruptcy.

I agree about renting first. Good idea. Good Luck!
Too soon old, too late smart.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 pm

protagonist wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am
I know I am going to get in trouble questioning an accomplished statistician, but you have not convinced me. You say white cars are more noticeable. I believe you. However, does that translate into statistical significance when it comes to safety. to the extent that it should drive one's purchase decision?
I am not a statistician. I am an engineer with interests in Behavioral Economics and Black Swans. I have not seen any statistical data showing that white cars are safer. However, I am making a physical argument. White color reflects all frequencies in the visible spectrum, and therefore it's more noticeable than other colors. If your car is more noticeable, fewer people will hit it.

White colored cars always seem to be available, whereas many buyers are seeking exotic colors. When you are making a purchase decision, if a white car and some other color are available at the same price, the white one provides you with a free option (using Taleb's terminology) for fewer hits.

Victoria

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Which color(s) are most likely to be stolen?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:54 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:53 pm
According to the Australian statistics linked by TravelGeek, there are more white cars on the roads than other colors. If the base rate of white cars is higher, more of them are stolen.

The specifics depend on the thief. A professional thief will choose the most common color, which is white. A hormone-driven thief will get bright red. A romantic thief will get a pink car or whichever color his girlfriend asks for. And a ninja thief will, of course, get black.

Victoria

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:10 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:54 pm
smitcat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:53 pm
According to the Australian statistics linked by TravelGeek, there are more white cars on the roads than other colors. If the base rate of white cars is higher, more of them are stolen.

The specifics depend on the thief. A professional thief will choose the most common color, which is white. A hormone-driven thief will get bright red. A romantic thief will get a pink car or whichever color his girlfriend asks for. And a ninja thief will, of course, get black.

Victoria
A smart thief will avoid white if white cars are the most noticeable. Unless, perhaps, it is snowing on the day of the crime and if my argument is correct.

Fortunately, most thieves are not smart. I know this for a fact. They prefer breaking into homes in the neighboring town where most people have double-bolted locks and many carry guns, as opposed to my town where people leave their doors open, and they could just walk down the street on a Saturday night, look for a home without a car in the driveway, walk in and help themselves to anything they want.

I can't speak for white collar criminals, however. That is outside my realm of expertise.
I am an engineer with interests in...Black Swans
Are they less noticeable than white swans?