what pickup truck

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bbees

what pickup truck

Post by bbees »

What pickup truck do you recommend and why? Are the new eco-boost 6 cyl. with twin turbos by Ford reliable? Whymcan't the Tundra 5.7 L get better gas mileage? Has Ford and Ram cured their electronic issues? Are GMC and Chevrolet pickups that bad to be poorly rated by Consumer Reports driver satisfaction rates? All questions I have.
JMacDonald

Re: what pickup truck

Post by JMacDonald »

I don't know anything about those other trucks, but I have a 2017 GMC 4X4 Extended Cab Sierra standard bed. I am not one one of those unhappy with my truck. I think it is great.
Best Wishes, | Joe
DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT »

GMC fan here. I have a 2011 Sierra 4x4 crew cab bought new in 2010 and it has zero issues. Nothing, except it likes to drink gas because I got the 6.2 :D

My Wife has a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali bought new in 2007. Zero issues not even minor ones to date, just oil changes and routine maintenance which is inexpensive at the GMC dealer.

The caveat is this were before they used the cylinder deactivation on the GM 6.2 engines. YMMV
TRC

Post by TRC »

What are your requirements?
Lucky2Invest

Post by Lucky2Invest »

bbees wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm What pickup truck do you recommend and why? Are the new eco-boost 6 cyl. with twin turbos by Ford reliable? Whymcan't the Tundra 5.7 L get better gas mileage? Has Ford and Ram cured their electronic issues? Are GMC and Chevrolet pickups that bad to be poorly rated by Consumer Reports driver satisfaction rates? All questions I have.
I just bought a 17 Ford with the 2.7 eco boost. It’s an amazing Truck and I love it. Was looking for an SUV and my buddy had a new Ford I fell in love with and I thought “WTH, this is pretty much an SUV with a bed”. Plus the deals they have on the 17s are incredible right now.

Only complaint is that the GMC looks awesome as well and I didn’t even look at it.
KevinIA

Post by KevinIA »

+1 on GM product with the 6.2l, not a truck but we have an 08 Escalade that has been trouble free except regular maintenance. My friend has a car lot and gets a lot of GM trucks with the LS V8 engines in on trade with 200-300k miles and he sells them as fast as they come in on trade.
Topic Author
bbees

Post by bbees »

There is a dealer about 80 miles from here who is the largest GMC dealer in the U.S. and they still have probably 50 full size and Canyon 2017 models left. I have been looking mostly at double cab or non SLE crew cabs 4wd that they are listing from $36-39,000.00 or 10 to $12,000.00 off MSRP--most have spray in bedliners and trailer packages, pretty enticing. Haven't checked out the Canyons but as much as their cost is about the same as a full size truck.

Haven't driven Ford Eco-Boost but have friends that have some and like them--I to am worried about longevity of turbo engines. Just not sure if I want to buy new truck?
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I would really like to have a Ford Raptor. However, I had to pass because, one, they are really expensive. Two, the gas mileage is terrible. I could have live with those two issues; but I need a standard bed, and the Raptor only comes in a short bed. :(
Best Wishes, | Joe
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If you're looking at a big truck, the Tundra might just be your best bet. I don't have experience with the new ones, but the old ones last forever.

Ford trucks are popular, the Chevy trucks look nice.

My wife's family only drives Chevy's, mostly trucks. My family owned Fords and Chevy's growing up. Now I drive a Ford. My wife drives a Chevy. It will probably be the last one we own.

I've never heard of a Chevy going more than 3 years with "zero issues", but maybe that unicorn exists. Who knows!?!

JT
Litfury

Post by Litfury »

16 f 150 lariat owner here. Couldn't be happier with the truck. I have no brand loyalty so I say this as unbiased as possible. You can not get dollar for dollar in any other brand truck what you can in the f 150. Being the #1 selling vehicle in America makes for discounts the other brands have a hard time getting close to. I cross shopped chevy, GMC, and dodge. In 16 the titan hadn't changed models since like 2004 so I didn't look at them. The tundra gets terrible MPG so I didn't look at them either.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

JMacDonald wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:49 pm I would really like to have a Ford Raptor. However, I had to pass because, one, they are really expensive. Two, the gas mileage is terrible. I could have live with those two issues; but I need a standard bed, and the Raptor only comes in a short bed. :(
I'm with you. I looked at Raptors a few years ago and really wanted one. At the time, they were $55k and got 11 mpg. I maybe could have lived with one of those issues but the price and mpg scared me away. I also looked at the new models and though the mpg is better the price increased to nearly $70k. I just can't justify spending that much on a truck.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota Tundra. 5.7. TRD. 4wd. Loaded.
History of reliability.
18 mpg. ave.
Switched from Ford when they came out with the modular blocks and gave up on the 351 ci.iron block. Don't trust the ecoboost. Switched from Chevy also years ago.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I purchased a used (6000 miles and 6 months old) Ram 1500 long bed about 6 months ago. I only drive it part time, but I love this thing. Drives and rides excellent. Terrible mileage because it has a big old honking V8 engine, but since it's a part timer it doesn't matter. Loaded with all kinds of goodies (got the Big Horn edition) and I couldn't be happier.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

You're looking at full size? Do you tow and if so, how much? Do you have a particular bed load or tongue weight rating you need?

Start there to figure out which models even fit your needs, then drill into reliability and other concerns.

The Ecoboost models haven't been around long enough to have large numbers reaching the 150,000+ mile regime you should be able to reasonably expect from a new vehicle these days, so long term reliability isn't clear yet. The fact that they have a turbo is one more system to potentially experience issues, and the higher cylinder pressures have to be accounted for in the design, but if done right, it shouldn't be an issue. Their diesel counterparts have been around for plenty of time to prove that a well-built turbocharged engine is easily capable of 1/4 million miles or more even when used for regular towing.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Depending on your needs, you may want to include the Honda Ridgeline on your shopping list. It only has a 5000 lb towing capacity but will probably be a better choice for everyday commuting chores. Just a thought.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Depends a lot on your needs with the pickup. I do not have brand loyalty and have had a Ford 350, 150 a Ram 1500 with hemi and a few Chevies in the past 15 years. Currently a 2016 Chevy 1500 crew with a 5.3 and it will tow up to 9,200 and rides better than anything I have had in the past. Now that I am only pulling trailers below about #6,000 I no longer have the diesels. They were great for pulling but a pain when it was time to maintain them.
Good luck with whatever you end up buying.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

bubbadog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:40 am Depending on your needs, you may want to include the Honda Ridgeline on your shopping list. It only has a 5000 lb towing capacity but will probably be a better choice for everyday commuting chores. Just a thought.
That’s not a truck, only 5 k towing?

Now, my F-250 .... that’s a truck

Seriously, first figure out the use of the vehicle—
how much towing capacity, both in the bed and on the hitch, then examine what vehicles match your requirements. Then examine reliability (anecdotally, seen more issues with rams than with Chevy or Ford and the tundras may not have enough towing capacity even with the 5.4 L ( can handle smaller loads but not the bigger trailers)

There was some good deals out there for some models, but the inventory for some is shrinking (except for the expensive, fully loaded.... which we found too expensive for what you get, but there may be a sweet spot for the vehicle you are looking at) so you might have to search farther away than just local inventory
nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

Trucks are very expensive and you have to get one to fit what you intend to do with it. Most people don't need 4x4, it's just 3K down the tube.

If you just need it for light stuff and don't need it right now. Look into the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Supposed to be released in 2020. It is not a full or mid size truck, but I bet can do a lot of what an average person does with a truck.
Meaty

Post by Meaty »

TRC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 pm What are your requirements?
This. I drove a Tacoma for years and it was excellent but if you need a full size then my advice wouldn’t help
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

1. Ford
2. Chevy
3. Toyota
4. Dodge
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

bbees wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm What pickup truck do you recommend and why?
That depends on how you plan to use it; Hauling? Towing? Daily Driver?
If you plan to put a camper in the truck bed, then you should look at a one-ton truck, minimum, and it should probably be a dually.
If it's a grocery-getter, then a Ford F-150 class type truck should suffice.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Tundra 5.7L here, love it despite the poor gas mileage! (But it's a 2nd vehicle and I only put about 5k miles on it per year)
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

I have a 14 dodge ram 1500 big horn edition with towing package, spray in bed liner, tonue cover and its a crew cab. Its a great truck hauls what I need it to and gets really good gas mileage. I have been really happy with it. Tires are one thing that the truck has been going through but...because I live on a gravel dirt road. I have a set now that have been wearing very well, not sure which ones they are (I can get it if you need to know.)
I find it the perfect size for family trips, hauling fire wood and stone, and carting craft show display/stock around.
I planned for three years before I bought it, I signed up for emails (gave me $1500 off, have a small business gave me $1500 off, went through my unions buying program (true car) which gave me a hefty discount). I felt exhausted once we were done with the negotiations but happy with the price.
dbr

Post by dbr »

My neighbor just brought home a new Ford F250 4x4 to add to his two Expeditions. But he is in the landscaping/snowplowing business. This guy is pretty much a motor head so maybe that is a recommendation but also evidently brand loyalty of some kind.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Echoing previous comments about what you really need it for. In my opinion, most people buy more truck than they need.
DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT »

nickjoy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 am Trucks are very expensive and you have to get one to fit what you intend to do with it. Most people don't need 4x4, it's just 3K down the tube.
I venture into the snow at times plus if I put my truck in auto 4wd or in 4wd hi, it is nice when it is raining. So it is a handy feature to have and you just may need it someday.

Another option to consider if you are towing is an integrated brake controller. Mine was a $150 option when I ordered my truck. When you are towing it actually ties into the stability control so if you ever do get squirrely it may save you. For every day towing though with any kind of a load it's a must. You can adjust the amount of current that goes to your electric trailer brakes so that your not using mostly your trucks brakes to stop.
GottaRun

Post by GottaRun »

i own a wakeboard boat and read themalibucrew.com forum a bit.

I've found the ski and wakeboard crowd are awfully passionate about their pulling rigs (mostly 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups).

might be worth checking out.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php? ... -tow-rigs/
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Was always very happy with my dad's Ford F150. Reliable, relatively light, excellent for hauling, seated 6. Mileage average for trucks.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

I'd suggest one that doesn't get stuck.

Based on this fine song from Corb Lund, I'm not sure what brand is best at avoiding such a pitfall. Perhaps something Japanese?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

2017 Sierra SLT 4x4 short bed 5.3 v8 with 36 rear end for towing. Third GMC truck in my life. I keep coming back to GMC.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Litfury wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 pm 16 f 150 lariat owner here. Couldn't be happier with the truck. I have no brand loyalty so I say this as unbiased as possible. You can not get dollar for dollar in any other brand truck what you can in the f 150. Being the #1 selling vehicle in America makes for discounts the other brands have a hard time getting close to. I cross shopped chevy, GMC, and dodge. In 16 the titan hadn't changed models since like 2004 so I didn't look at them. The tundra gets terrible MPG so I didn't look at them either.
I also had a 1985 F150 Lariat, and it was a great truck for my needs. But 3 trucks later, I'm back to GMC. I'm 6'4" tall and love the seats and comfort of my Sierra. And 21.5 mpg on a recent 1200 round trip is exactly what they claimed for mpg. Amazingly honest with the mpg.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

rustymutt wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 am 2017 Sierra SLT 4x4 short bed 5.3 v8 with 36 rear end for towing. Third GMC truck in my life. I keep coming back to GMC.
Rusty - that would be a 3.42 rear correct?
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I have a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and I love it. We have done a lot of projects on our property with it but it's small and comfortable enough for me to commute comfortably/park.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

smitcat wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 pm
rustymutt wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 am 2017 Sierra SLT 4x4 short bed 5.3 v8 with 36 rear end for towing. Third GMC truck in my life. I keep coming back to GMC.
Rusty - that would be a 3.42 rear correct?
Thank you for that correct answer sir, as you're correct. 3.42, 3.92 and then a even lower rear end. The lower the number, the higher the mgp.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

bbees wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm What pickup truck do you recommend and why? Are the new eco-boost 6 cyl. with twin turbos by Ford reliable? Whymcan't the Tundra 5.7 L get better gas mileage? Has Ford and Ram cured their electronic issues? Are GMC and Chevrolet pickups that bad to be poorly rated by Consumer Reports driver satisfaction rates? All questions I have.
Re the Tundra, I've got over 100k miles, and have had no issues. It runs great. BUT....I can go on a trip, and I swear I can see the gas gauge sinking down as I drive. The mileage is terrible, I may as well be driving a Greyhound bus.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TallBoy29er wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 pm
Re the Tundra, I've got over 100k miles, and have had no issues. It runs great. BUT....I can go on a trip, and I swear I can see the gas gauge sinking down as I drive. The mileage is terrible, I may as well be driving a Greyhound bus.
Average 18 mpg on my 2012 Tundra 4wd. Would be a bit better if it was 2wd and driven on more asphalt. Interstate gets 19+.
The gas tank is tiny. That's why it goes down so fast. My Ford truck had dual tanks and both were large. Which Toyota would get more serious about making a truck more truck. However, they go forever with zero problems. Consumer Reports on used Tundra has a stellar track record as far as reliability.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Nearing_Destination wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am how much towing capacity, both in the bed and on the hitch, then examine what vehicles match your requirements. Then examine reliability (anecdotally, seen more issues with rams than with Chevy or Ford and the tundras may not have enough towing capacity even with the 5.4 L ( can handle smaller loads but not the bigger trailers)
Tundra has never been available with a 5.4 L, Ever. That was the dismal Ford Triton. With the 5.7L, Tundra can tow 10,500 lbs, which is the same as other half-ton pickups with their respective max towing packages.
Last edited by lazydavid on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dog_Papa

Post by Dog_Papa »

I would place Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra 1st. Then put GMC/Chevy and Ford in 2nd place. I have not kept track of Ram trucks,
and would be hesitant to buy one since Fiat got involved. The Ford turbo is also something I would avoid. The Eco-Boast engine is
more complex, much more difficult to work on, and much more expensive to repair. Turbo replacement is very expensive and in
the past has what has gone out on these types of trucks.

As a general rule, turbo-charged engines do not last as long as normally exasperated engines. This is because more hp & torque
is being squeezed out of a smaller engine. This puts greater stress on the engine block and internal parts (pistons, connecting rods
etc). This is the main reason turbo-charged engines do not last as long.

Also, new technology such as the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) is on the way. Until then I would stick with a
exasperated engine. Ya know back in the 1980s, Chrysler claimed in an ad. That their turbo-charged cars had plenty of get up and
go. And that once you drove one, you would never what a V-8 again. Then a few yrs later, when they introduced the Chrysler V-10.
To be put in the Viper and certain pickup trucks. Chrysler said in a ad, that there was no substitute for cubic inches!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I don't believe you ever answered the use question. "Truck" is very arbitrary, as is "car."
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I upgraded from an old Ford Ranger to a larger 2016 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 two years ago.
It's great especially if you haul lots of stuff.
I got the 3.5 litre Ecoboost and it goes really fast.
For some of us, once you've had a pickup truck for a while, it's hard to imagine a decent life without one anymore. If that sounds a bit weird, I'm OK with that...
Attempted new signature...
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:11 pm
TallBoy29er wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 pm
Average 18 mpg on my 2012 Tundra 4wd. Would be a bit better if it was 2wd and driven on more asphalt. Interstate gets 19+.
The gas tank is tiny. That's why it goes down so fast. My Ford truck had dual tanks and both were large. Which Toyota would get more serious about making a truck more truck. However, they go forever with zero problems. Consumer Reports on used Tundra has a stellar track record as far as reliability.
FWIW - our 2016 Chevy crew 4wd with the 5.3 is getting just about the exact same mileage over the first 14,000 miles. Would get better than 18 if we were always n the highway or if we did not tow. But for the majority of time it is driven in conditions that favor mileage. Holds 25 gallons of fuel and rated to tow #9,300 which is a good combination for us now that we do not have any real heavy tows to make.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

fishmonger wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am Echoing previous comments about what you really need it for. In my opinion, most people buy more truck than they need.
Very true statement.
FlexibleSpender

Post by FlexibleSpender »

People love buying too much of X.

Play paintball once - goes home and buys professional level gun and gear

Plays golf once - has Tiger Woods's clubs next time

Borrows a friend's bike - has a new carbon fiber bike next time out

OP needs to find out what he needs a truck for. How often are you going to use the truck necessities?

I highly doubt that I will ever tow anything over 5,000 lbs. I highly doubt I will ever put any load greater than 1,500lbs in the bed. I highly doubt I will ever take it to Colorado or Utah and do some crazy off road trails. I will drive it most of the time on paved roads with things from ikea in the back and what not. Therefore, I was able to pick a truck that fit me best.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Dog_Papa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 pm As a general rule, turbo-charged engines do not last as long as normally exasperated engines. This is because more hp & torque
is being squeezed out of a smaller engine. This puts greater stress on the engine block and internal parts (pistons, connecting rods
I hear this a lot but have never seen any convincing evidence that it's true. Some car manufactures have used turbos for decades and they have been just as reliable as their NA engines.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Recently purchased new 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT with 5.3 V-8 and tow package. Averaging 18 mpg. We like it (she drives it more than I do)....rides smooth and handles very well.

This is our (DW is huge Chevy fan) first pickup truck so don't have any background other than to say we've usually owned Chevy products for the past 40 years.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 am I upgraded from an old Ford Ranger to a larger 2016 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 two years ago.
For some of us, once you've had a pickup truck for a while, it's hard to imagine a decent life without one anymore. If that sounds a bit weird, I'm OK with that...
Now weird a'tall.
DW drives a full size SUV. I drive a pickup. Been that way for over 30 years. Neither of us can imagine driving a car anymore.
WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 pm
The Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 am I upgraded from an old Ford Ranger to a larger 2016 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 two years ago.
Now weird a'tall.
DW drives a full size SUV. I drive a pickup. Been that way for over 30 years. Neither of us can imagine driving a car anymore.
+1 My wife drives a full size SUV (Yukon XL) and has zero desire to ever have a car as her daily driver for the same reasons mentioned above. My old (2006) Tundra is our teenage kids car (has 180,000 miles on it) and she doesn't want them driving cars either.
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

If you plan to park it in a garage, be sure to check out the overall length of full size trucks (they are much larger than what was sold as a full size truck say 15 years ago), versus the layout of your garage. There may not be enough room to walk past them (which may or may not matter depending on your garage layout), or in some cases, to even close the garage door.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

emoore wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 am
Dog_Papa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 pm As a general rule, turbo-charged engines do not last as long as normally exasperated engines. This is because more hp & torque
I hear this a lot but have never seen any convincing evidence that it's true. Some car manufactures have used turbos for decades and they have been just as reliable as their NA engines.
Normally "exasperated" engines are a subset of normally aspirated engines, which are more reliable :D . Fact of the matter is, any modern engine is likely to last longer than the average consumer is going to want to keep the car. Does forced aspiration increase engine complexity and increase maintenance and decrease lifespan? Possibly, but it likely doesn't matter and with CAFE standards, turbos are going to become more and more common.