what pickup truck

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ruger

Re: what pickup truck

Post by Ruger »

Tamales wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 pm If you plan to park it in a garage, be sure to check out the overall length of full size trucks (they are much larger than what was sold as a full size truck say 15 years ago), versus the layout of your garage. There may not be enough room to walk past them (which may or may not matter depending on your garage layout), or in some cases, to even close the garage door.
When I borrowed a friends F-350 I found out it was too tall to fit in my garage. When I went shopping for my own truck, I measured it to make sure it would fit.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 pm
The Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 am I upgraded from an old Ford Ranger to a larger 2016 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 two years ago.
It's great especially if you haul lots of stuff.
I got the 3.5 litre Ecoboost and it goes really fast.
For some of us, once you've had a pickup truck for a while, it's hard to imagine a decent life without one anymore. If that sounds a bit weird, I'm OK with that...
Now weird a'tall.
DW drives a full size SUV. I drive a pickup. Been that way for over 30 years. Neither of us can imagine driving a car anymore.
OK, but I keep a Mustang along with my F-150 and drive that most of the time I'm not doing something trucky.
It's nice to be able to park the Mustang anywhere on the first try, as opposed to the F-150, which can take a bit of doing...
Attempted new signature...
MnD

Post by MnD »

Unless you absolutely need a behemoth-sized truck to tow some monster RV I'd look at a Toyota Tacoma.

I bought a 2005 Toyota double-cab long bed 4X4 Tacoma in fall 2004. It was one of the first trucks sold in the state that was the "new" larger 2005 design. The current models have retained this mid-size class.
It has performed flawlessly. Scheduled maintenance is minimal and it drives today like it did when brand new. At 13 years old it still looks really good. As one of the first trucks off the assembly line of a totally new design, there have been several service bulletins and recalls, but all were performed without problem and without causing any problems at all prior to them being performed.

I wish the 4.0L V6 got better gas mileage and with the double-cab longbed being longer than a Suburban, its no picnic to park in tight spots.
But compared to all the problems my friends have had with their US pickups I'm not complaining.
Here's our last camping trip to the "zone of totality" for the total eclipse at Glendo Reservoir, Wyoming. :beer

70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Tamales wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 pm If you plan to park it in a garage, be sure to check out the overall length of full size trucks (they are much larger than what was sold as a full size truck say 15 years ago), versus the layout of your garage. There may not be enough room to walk past them (which may or may not matter depending on your garage layout), or in some cases, to even close the garage door.
My garage door is 6" from my truck bumper. The front bumper is against the front wall. :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The Wizard wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 am
The Wizard wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 am I upgraded from an old Ford Ranger to a larger 2016 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 two years ago.
It's great especially if you haul lots of stuff.
I got the 3.5 litre Ecoboost and it goes really fast.
For some of us, once you've had a pickup truck for a while, it's hard to imagine a decent life without one anymore. If that sounds a bit weird, I'm OK with that...
Now weird a'tall.
DW drives a full size SUV. I drive a pickup. Been that way for over 30 years. Neither of us can imagine driving a car anymore.
OK, but I keep a Mustang along with my F-150 and drive that most of the time I'm not doing something trucky.
It's nice to be able to park the Mustang anywhere on the first try, as opposed to the F-150, which can take a bit of doing...
Mustang GT?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

MnD wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:21 am
Nice Setup! :D
Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight »

Just a quick note. I bought my first-ever pickup a few months ago. a 2013 Nissan Frontier. 21,000 miles and a creampuff.

I didn't want to go quite the 150/1500 size, but close. And the Tacomas, the sellers/dealers tell you "they're expensive but they hold their value so well." Well that's good for Toyota and maybe good for the first buyer, but paying upwards of $30K for a 3-4 year old truck with 30K miles, no thanks.

I paid $21K for the Frontier, 21K miles like I said. Pretty well equipped. Sprayed-in liner, Utilitrack bed rails and cleats, leather, backup camera and sonar, climate control, 4WD, 4L engine, etc. Built on the Titan frame.

Best of all, I managed to find the crew cab / long bed combination. That's scarce in the Frontier. And the Tacoma too I think. I can't imagine why anybody would buy the short bed. Buy an SUV instead. And in the Tacoma/Frontier, the jump seat back seats are useless.

At least as of 2013 Nissan hadn't updated the basics (engine, etc.) much but they've kept up with the whistles and bells. I feel like I got a plenty good enough and reliable truck for 2/3 of what I would have paid for a F-150 or Tacoma with the same age/miles.

Good luck in your search....
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Now weird a'tall.
Not weird at all. SUV & pickup sales are up and sedan sales are way down. I know several people who have trucks (with covers over the bed) who never haul or tow anything; they just like the image. Funny thing - I was visiting Washington DC a little while ago, and notice there are very few pickup trucks there, and when you see one, it almost always has a company name on the door. I guess there are regional preferences.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

munemaker wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:01 am
Now weird a'tall.
Not weird at all. SUV & pickup sales are up and sedan sales are way down. I know several people who have trucks (with covers over the bed) who never haul or tow anything; they just like the image. Funny thing - I was visiting Washington DC a little while ago, and notice there are very few pickup trucks there, and when you see one, it almost always has a company name on the door. I guess there are regional preferences.
It would be "weird" to have a pickup just for the image. I had one for towing because it was the cheapest vehicle rated to tow what I wanted. Carrying stuff was a bonus that I only occasionally used, but that was very handy when it was needed. Parking was challenging - I had to back into my garage and then had only 3" clearance to the garage door when fully backed in. I easily went back to a sedan, but could change back to a truck just as easily. I don't feel pickups project any different image than a sedan now, due to how popular they've become. You need to go to a bigger truck if you want to project a different image.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Ruger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 am
When I borrowed a friends F-350 I found out it was too tall to fit in my garage. When I went shopping for my own truck, I measured it to make sure it would fit.

You need to check both the length and HEIGHT to make sure that the truck can fit into your garage

( I’ve got enough length, if I park the 250 on one side of the garage, but it barely gets under the garage door— any higher and I’d have had to find someone to raise the door and do some exterior work on the outside)
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

Nearing_Destination wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 am
Ruger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 am

You need to check both the length and HEIGHT to make sure that the truck can fit into your garage

( I’ve got enough length, if I park the 250 on one side of the garage, but it barely gets under the garage door— any higher and I’d have had to find someone to raise the door and do some exterior work on the outside)
Correct. The length was no problem, the height was especially since it had been lifted. I probably drove the dealers crazy measuring all the trucks I was interested in!
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

I have the RAM 1500 and drive it like a stole it. Airborne several times and I can tell you from experience the governor kicks in at 95 mph. That said, I've got just under 70,000 on it and have not had any issues that were not due to sudden impact with unmovable objects. :D
Topic Author
bbees

Post by bbees »

The truck will eventually replace my 1993 Chevy 350 V8, Z71 which now has 145,000 miles on it. I don't pull much other than a 16 foot trailer with tractor, 6,000 pounds maybe and not often towed. I have replaced starter, clutch, clutch and slave cylinders, front brakes and new tires this year. Seems things are beginning to wear out replaced. This truck will be kept for farm work.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

We use my trusty 1997 Toyota 4Runner to tow our light camper, but many of our friends who join us on group camping trips tow their trailers with full size pickups. Chevy/GMC, Ford, Ram (Dodge), Toyota, we see a full variety. They all love their trucks and are brand loyal. Seems like a pretty mature technology and maybe hard to go wrong brand to brand. Individual features seem way more important.
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

Random Poster wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am I'd suggest one that doesn't get stuck.

Based on this fine song from Corb Lund, I'm not sure what brand is best at avoiding such a pitfall. Perhaps something Japanese?
Never in my life thought I'd see a Corb Lund reference on Bogleheads
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted