What do you do to keep your mind sharp?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jazztonight

Re: What do you do to keep your mind sharp?

Post by Jazztonight »

Good topic. This subject is of particular interest to me since both my parents had a diagnosis of Alzheimers on their death certificates.

Personally:
  • I work out at home 3 days/week
  • Walk 3 miles 3-6 days/week
  • Study Spanish using Duolingo & Language Transfer; I also attempt reading/listening using a variety of sources.
  • I'm 5 years into a 7 year program of reading the Talmud in English
  • I practice the flute 3-5 times a week for 1-2 hours a session, and play in the flute section of a community concert band Wednesday nights.
  • Still improving my piano skills (currently working on my left hand walking bass)
  • Still performing with my own jazz combo, these days doing a lot of little gigs in retirement facilities.
  • I correspond with about 10 people around the world using a fountain pen--yes, I write letters the old-fashioned way. I also keep a journal.
  • I belong to a bi-weekly men's discussion group that's been meeting for 30 years.
And of course, the usual other stuff: read, travel, socialize, etc. However, I try stay away from the news as much as possible.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
BL

Post by BL »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:04 pm Duolingo.com

I am learning both Swedish and Norwegian. Free.

I read a lot of "for fun" books. The new Jack Reacher novel hit my Kindle 2 days ago.
Thanks for the link!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Exercise
Read
World of Warcraft my friends/guild
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Jazztonight wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 am
  • Still performing with my own jazz combo, these days doing a lot of little gigs in retirement facilities.
  • I correspond with about 10 people around the world using a fountain pen--yes, I write letters the old-fashioned way. I also keep a journal.
I try stay away from the news as much as possible.
+1
Also played Hawaiian and jazz standards music and sang in the care facilities. It's a wonderful thing to do. Uplifts those who cannot get out.
Letters. Yes. As a Lit./Econ double major it's interesting to see communication reduced to soundbites. A few lines of email and text. Thoughtful and substantive. . vs. . . Something elegant about putting pen to paper.
Also don't watch the news anymore. Rather get it online as a list. Journalism standards went with Walter Cronkite.
Substantive discussion on Bogleheads also keeps one's mind sharp.
thanks for posting and sharing.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Toons wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 am Learning a Foreign Language
Cooking
Exercise
Work with computers
Study finance and work with numbers
Read constantly
Volunteer work.
Crossword puzzles
Tavel. :happy
Great list Toons!
I have cherished senior retirees in my English classes in Germany. Love all their stories! I learn much more from them then they do from me.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Music, exercise, thinking, eating and sleeping. — Tet
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Read biotech companies presentations on their latest clinical results. Interesting stuff, real cutting edge, but I have to take my time learning the lingo. I’ll let you know if I find any winning lottery tickets. A little bit of exercise. Answer questions on Bogleheads, read a lot of other interesting posts. Learn new things here.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have discovered two nontrivial ways to sharpen my mind:
- Improvisation comedy
and
- Zumba.

A friend has recently mentioned that drumming is good for cognition. Does anyone know if that's true?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm The screen-name and the Exhibit CAA reference in another thread gave it away :sharebeer

Any card games requiring memory/thinking/calculating, such as blackjack, gin, poker, bridge, etc.
Word games, board games, reading, learning more about computers & electronics.
Frequently rejecting the BH "Philosophy of Simplicity" in some areas (due to available time, mental exercise, and learning opportunity.)
Awesome. Nice list.

Also, I figured nobody would know DanMahowny, or Exhibit CAA. Good job.
Funding secured
Ged

Post by Ged »

Build custom computers for friends and family.
Work on personal (private) web site.
Play video games.
Gym 3x a week.
Putz around in wood shop in garage.
Read SciFi.
Argue politics in Disqus.
read & post here.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DanMahowny wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:18 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm The screen-name and the Exhibit CAA reference in another thread gave it away :sharebeer

Any card games requiring memory/thinking/calculating, such as blackjack, gin, poker, bridge, etc.
Word games, board games, reading, learning more about computers & electronics.
Frequently rejecting the BH "Philosophy of Simplicity" in some areas (due to available time, mental exercise, and learning opportunity.)
Awesome. Nice list.

Also, I figured nobody would know DanMahowny, or Exhibit CAA. Good job.
Bought new--$400 IIRC. One of my best investments ever! Also had a copy of Beyond Counting purchased new ($50) that I no longer have.

Thanks.

I think only two types of people know Mahowny: APs and avid Philip Seymour Hoffman fans.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Exercise aggressively 7 days a week and get a good nights sleep.
tpetsch

Post by tpetsch »

Calculate whilst under heavy physical stress and a 120 heart rate minimum what my calories burned will be at different future time intervals -as compared to actual displayed calories burned- on the recumbent bike at the gym.

That and pondering my existence.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:08 pm
Toons wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 am Learning a Foreign Language
Cooking
Exercise
Work with computers
Study finance and work with numbers
Read constantly
Volunteer work.
Crossword puzzles
Tavel. :happy
Great list Toons!
I have cherished senior retirees in my English classes in Germany. Love all their stories! I learn much more from them then they do from me.
Thanks! :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

http://en.chessbase.com/post/evaluating ... n-boosters

Some food for thought.......BTW, I love and play chess irrespective of any evidence for or against it!
SHL

Post by SHL »

This is a great topic. I'm 62 and beginning to notice occasional 'senior moments' when I can't remember a name, etc. My mother has Alzheimer's, so it's a real concern for me. I'm about to retire from my job, and I hope that playing music will help me stay sharp. Will definitely follow some of the suggestions here. Thanks!
Stephen