Gifts for a marathoner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Gifts for a marathoner

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm looking to get a gift for someone who inexplicably enjoys running 26.15 more miles than me. Was thinking maybe an inspiring book, or that gives a history and overview of famous ones (she's done Boston and NYC).

Could spend up to $50 or a bit more if something stands out.

Any recommendations?

GuyInFL

Re: Gifts for a marathoner

Post by GuyInFL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 pm

As a marathoner, I’ve enjoyed the book ‘Born to Run’ and the movie ‘Hood to Coast’

The book is about a tribe of ‘marathoning Mexican indians’ and the movie is about a 200 mile relay race.

bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm

A couple of favorite books:

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 pm

"Indian Running" by Peter Nabokov (may be out of print)
Bernd Heinrich's book,I think it was renamed "Why We Run" ,was originally "Chasing the Antelope" Bernd Heinrich probably knows as much about the physiology of running as Jack Bogle knows about the history of mutual funds.
Clarence DeMar wrote an autobiography,I think the title is simply "Marathon".

American runners such as Clarence DeMar and Louis Tewanima when sent to the Olympic Games in the past were probably not as well coached as they could have been and may have even arrived seasick. Otherwise USA might have had a higher medal count.

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm

I really liked "Running With the Buffaloes," about the 1998 University of Colorado cross country team.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 pm

I'd also suggest clothing (gloves, socks, technical shirt or t, rain shell or vest) or a gift certificate at their favorite running store. Also, running related food items (bars, gels, powders), stretching devices (balls, foam rollers), gift certificate for a massage, music (itunes gift card) or running headphones, or exercise/nutrition-related software.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 am

Safety gear is a safe choice, e.g., something like this: https://www.rei.com/product/842482/amph ... ckage-of-2. I'd shy away from buying personal items such as clothes or socks because serious runners are very picky about what they wear when running. Books are kinda iffy, just because he/she may have already read anything you choose. If your marathoner buys shoes at a local running store (which is likely given how many shoes marathoners go through), you could ask an employee there what they would recommend or buy a gift card at that store. Running-store employees tend to know their repeat customers pretty well or can at least tell you what the serious runners in town are buying right now.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am

Great, thanks all. Much appreciated. I know she's read a couple of those books but definitely not all.
Rupert wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 am
Safety gear is a safe choice, e.g., something like this: https://www.rei.com/product/842482/amph ... ckage-of-2. I'd shy away from buying personal items such as clothes or socks because serious runners are very picky about what they wear when running. Books are kinda iffy, just because he/she may have already read anything you choose. If your marathoner buys shoes at a local running store (which is likely given how many shoes marathoners go through), you could ask an employee there what they would recommend or buy a gift card at that store. Running-store employees tend to know their repeat customers pretty well or can at least tell you what the serious runners in town are buying right now.
Those reflectors look great. I bike myself and often take my kids out so am always looking for highly reflective gear.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

You may also want to look at these reflectors, I got pink for the wifey:

http://amzn.to/2zunjJO

Also gift certificates to where she buys her shoes is a great idea. Long distance runners got through them at an alarming rate and they are expensive.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:59 am

Most of the books listed are good and I've read them all. Of those mentioned, I enjoyed Running with the Buffalo's the most.

However, Once A Runner by John L. Parker is almost universally considered the greatest book ever written about competitive running. I read it about once a year. Its sequel, Again to Carthage, is actually about the marathon though not as good as the original. Still worth reading.
Last edited by OnceARunner on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

dlw322

Post by dlw322 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 am

Running Warehouse has a sale going on until this Friday on their gift cards, buy a $50 gift card, get $60.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes, definitely do not take it upon yourself to pick out clothing, shoes or other wearable accessories. A gift certificate is the way to go here. And only buy gels/powerbars if you know your friend's preferred brand and flavor.

With that in mind, here are some other ideas:
  • Gift card for a Road ID.
  • Gift certificate for one of the many places that will make a quilt out of race t-shirts.
  • DVD of "Without Limits". While Pre wasn't a marathoner, his life was still inspirational, and this is one of the better movies about it, focusing largely on his relationship with coach (and Nike founder) Bill Bowerman.
  • Some Body Glide. They might have a preference here, but the original "basic blue" is a pretty solid bet.
  • Subscription (or extension to existing subscription) to Runner's World magazine.
  • Something like a Southwest gift card if they frequently do "destination" races.
  • The Stick, or similar roller-massager
Stay on target...

barreg

Post by barreg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I'll second the suggestion of the Running Warehouse gift certificate. They free 2 day shipping, free returns, good selection, and shoppers can usually find a 10% off discount code online.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:39 pm

A costco sized bottle of ibuprofen.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Here are some good non-running books that I would appreciate as a runner:

Boys in the Boat
Endurance

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:13 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 pm
I'm looking to get a gift for someone who inexplicably enjoys running 26.15 more miles than me. Was thinking maybe an inspiring book, or that gives a history and overview of famous ones (she's done Boston and NYC).

Could spend up to $50 or a bit more if something stands out.

Any recommendations?
If she is not local to you and you'd like to see her. Buy her an entry to a local marathon near you!! It's a Win-win! Though it'll be more than $50..

yakers

Post by yakers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:28 am

Get Runner by Lizzy Hawker
Amazing story and amazing ability.

matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 am

The thought is nice but please don't get them any sort of running gear. As an avid runner and cyclist I can say that most of us a very finicky with gear selection and a non-enthusiast is unlikely to pick out the right thing. A gift card or one of the books that were suggested would be a nice gesture.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:40 pm

Wireless headset... Voltz.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 pm

I recently bought a running belt for my phone, wallet, and car keys. Doesn't bounce and is very unobtrusive.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Salomon ... A2BS7.html

The 250ml bottle that comes with it is useless.

HerbRight

Post by HerbRight » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 pm

a book (motivation) or accessories for running such as a running belt.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:10 am

Gift certificate for a massage. Or a pass (?) for a pool/hot tub if that's a thing.

Concur with the nice thought for buying running gear, but I wouldn't want someone to feel obligated to use/wear something I got them while running for long periods of time. Unless, you know, it's something that they've dropped hints about. I'm usually not too keen on picking up on those cues however, much to the chagrin of the wife..

If, for some reason, she doesn't already have a foam roller, then get a foam roller. The "TriggerPoint Foam Roller" works well. If she's like my wife and refuses to foam roll, then see the first comment: massage.

A nice meal might do the trick too -- post-race though. Or well enough before the race that it won't impact her normal pre-race routine.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 am

Cyclesafe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 pm
I recently bought a running belt for my phone, wallet, and car keys. Doesn't bounce and is very unobtrusive.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Salomon ... A2BS7.html

The 250ml bottle that comes with it is useless.
I can't help but wonder what those little bottles could do every time I see someone with a tiny little "hydration" bottle on a "hydration belt." I'd be more inclined to put something more potent than water into it for the long runs.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 am

Agree with the Running Warehouse gift card. Can't go wrong there.

Clothing and gear are very individual-specific. Some of us will never run with a belt, phone band, etc. The runner may already have a foam roller. We're all very picky about what kind of shorts we wear. I've got a couple tops sitting in a drawer that I got as well-meaning gifts. You might have the best luck with socks, but even there people have their preferences.

Books are good, but it just depends on your runner's background. I love "Running With the Buffaloes" - it's my favorite running book of all time - but I have dedicated running friends who never ran XC and might find it boring. If your marathoner is going to Boston or trying to qualify, check out "26.2 Miles to Boston" or "Duel in the Sun."

If your runner is old-school, there's always "The Complete Runner's Day-By-Day Log 2018 Calendar," a running log.

It's cool to see so many runners here. I shouldn't be surprised; the discipline and meticulous attention to workouts required to be a distance runner lends itself to approaching finances the BH way.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:24 am

NorCalDad wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 am
It's cool to see so many runners here. I shouldn't be surprised; the discipline and meticulous attention to workouts required to be a distance runner lends itself to approaching finances the BH way.
Nice insight. I think you're on to something.

Most of the Boglehead philosophy could apply to training: Develop a workable plan, diversify (mix shorter weekday runs and/or crosstraining with long weekend runs, etc.), stay the course (figuratively and, on race day, literally!), and so on.
Stay on target...