Best strategy for selling cell phone on Ebay?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
protagonist

Best strategy for selling cell phone on Ebay?

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:05 am

Does one get better results with an auction, or by setting a Buy it Now price?

Also, does one do better by factoring shipping costs into the price and advertising free shipping, or by setting a lower price and adding a shipping fee?

Thanks in advance.

TheGreyingDuke

Re: Best strategy for selling cell phone on Ebay?

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:58 am

I have sold and purchased phones on swappa.com, I suggest them over ebay and their terms of engagement take care of most of your questions.

Once I purchased a phone and it was plagued by the LG G5 looping problem, no issue it getting the sale reversed and my money refunded, Ebay on the other hand, is filled with scams and counterfeit phones, not a reliable platform for the buying and selling of mobiles, IMHO
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

FraggleRock

Gazelle

Post by FraggleRock » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 am

Avoid hassles.
Gazelle.com

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 am

I have sold two on Gazell. Simple, why hassle with Ebay for $10 more.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 am
Because it’s usually a lot more than $10 more. It’s usually about double for phones. For example, I’m selling my iPhone 5. Gazelle offers $30. Prevailing selling prices on eBay are in the mid-$70s. The relative ease of selling to Gazelle is not worth $35 to me - eBay isn’t that hard to use. I’ve sold several phones and laptops on eBay without complications. eBay does have both seller and buyer protections if things go south (never had to invoke this except once, when someone never shipped the thing I bought, didn’t reply to refund requests, and eBay got me a refund).

p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:14 am

Sell on craigslist if you have a decent market. I wouldnt touch ebay with a 10 foot pole in terms of selling a cell phone. And if you do...do not be upset if you get scammed.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 am

Never tried eBay. I tried Swappa.com I think. Sold my last few phones there and made out pretty good. Very secure and uses PayPal to receive the payments.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:39 am

i just sold on Swappa with good results. people can certainly propose lower prices to you, but you do not have to take them. i sold mine for my asking price (and also they allow you to see comparable phone sale prices and SOLD prices to see what your "market rate" is). i would recommend it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 am
eBay does have both seller and buyer protections....
My experience with eBay is that they have very little seller protections now. You can't even leave negative feedback on a buyer anymore.

About five years ago my wife was selling some high end brand name shoes on eBay that would have been sold for several hundred dollars new. (She found them at a garage sale.) They sold for about $50 on eBay.

About 25 days after the sale the buyer complained that they were actually a men's size 8 instead of womans size 8 (or something like that) so they were way too large. I doubt that but since there were flats that might have been possible.

Our response was, OK ship them back and we will refund the money with the shipping if that was correct.

Her response was, I can't ship them back because I am traveling and out of the country. :oops:

She then applied to eBay for a refund.

Everything was time stamped and about five seconds after she applied for a refund eBay send an email saying someone like. "After reviewing the claim we are refunding the money." It was obviously all automated, and there was no way to appeal their decision. All the communications were through ebay so if they had taken 30 seconds to review the situation they knew that we she refused to return the shoes.

$50 was not a big deal but we were also out the eBay fees and they even charges us a PayPal fee to refund the money.

It was obvious that the "buyer" was intentionally scamming the system.
1) She waited until it was near the 30 day deadline to ask for a refund hoping we would miss that request.
2) She likely knew that the refund request would be approved.
3) The item was something that she could put in a consignment store to resale.

We will still occasionally sell stuff on eBay when that is about the only alternative.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 am

My thoughts were that eBay gets a lot more potential customers than Swappa or other competitors, so one is more likely to get top dollar in a sale.

Also, as a seller, I didn't think I need to worry about being scammed since I can receive payment via Paypal.

But so many people here down on eBay has me worried. Am I missing something?

And whether or not I use eBay, is a set price or an auction the best strategy, and how about shipping fees?

Thanks

BigMoneyGrip

Post by BigMoneyGrip » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:57 am

- Limit your sale to continental US. No international, Alaska, Hawaii, etc.
- Shipping: Use tracking number and require signature. Go overboard in making sure the item is packed safely.
- Be very accurate in your description and photos.
- Beware of scams...and follow ebay's TOS to resolve them.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 am
I am selling a Pixel XL. Gazelle offers $150, while it goes for $350+ on Swappa. I can buy one on Gazelle for $499. Sure seems like Gazelle would like this business model.
Last edited by Ketawa on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 am

Beware the eBay scammers.

You sell the phone, get the money through paypal, ship the phone. Say you sold for $70 plus $10 shipping. Between eBay and paypal, you pay $10 in fees.

Now the buyer puts in a claim "not as described" and ships you back something else. Maybe a counterfeit phone, maybe a broken phone. He gets the tracking number verified, eBay says "you lose" and paypal takes your money back.

This happens more than you'd want to think. I've sold to usell or on craigslist with no issues. I've mostly bought things on eBay because as a buyer, I know I'll always win any dispute.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 am
My thoughts were that eBay gets a lot more potential customers than Swappa or other competitors, so one is more likely to get top dollar in a sale.

Also, as a seller, I didn't think I need to worry about being scammed since I can receive payment via Paypal.

And whether or not I use eBay, is a set price or an auction the best strategy, and how about shipping fees?

Thanks
eBay does have potentially more buyers, but i also wonder if they are committed buyers. Swappa is mostly phones and maybe some electronics so the buyers are possibly more intentional about getting the right phone moreso than getting the absolute best price.
Swappa also uses PayPal and a feedback system. they also check if the IMEI number is still good before you post it so fewer scams that way as well and buyers feel more comfortable. they also require seller post pics of the device.
Swappa will take $10 fee, and shipping is on seller so bake that into the selling price as well. overall, it was a good experience (was my first time using it).

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 am

pochax wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 am
protagonist wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks
eBay does have potentially more buyers, but i also wonder if they are committed buyers. Swappa is mostly phones and maybe some electronics so the buyers are possibly more intentional about getting the right phone moreso than getting the absolute best price.
Swappa also uses PayPal and a feedback system. they also check if the IMEI number is still good before you post it so fewer scams that way as well and buyers feel more comfortable. they also require seller post pics of the device.
Swappa will take $10 fee, and shipping is on seller so bake that into the selling price as well. overall, it was a good experience (was my first time using it).
Small note, the fee on Swappa scales with the sales price. Paypal will also charge the seller a fee, same as on eBay.

I have sold a decent number of electronics on eBay and always prefer to use an Auction rather than Buy It Now. This way I can make sure I get a good price, especially on something that might not have a lot of comparable sales. Just ignore people who ask you if you'll take $X and tell them to bid if interested. Phones might be different, though. I also prefer to charge actual shipping costs through eBay rather than offer free shipping.

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 am

have you considered craigslist?
when selling on ebay, you have to have good pictures, detailed description and free or inexpensive shipping.
buy it now only works if you price it right. otherwise you will be "selling" it until the next model come out.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 am

+1 for Swappa - I have sold two phones for quite reasonable prices. Craigslist can work too but you do have to watch for shady characters

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 am

p0nyboy wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:14 am
Sell on craigslist if you have a decent market. I wouldnt touch ebay with a 10 foot pole in terms of selling a cell phone. And if you do...do not be upset if you get scammed.
+1

I do some selling on eBay, but stay far away from problem areas like electronics. Too many scams on both ends. The so-called eBay protections are heavily loaded in favor of buyers.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am

For those saying beware of scams on ebay, have you actually been scammed?

I had a side business about 10 years ago selling electronics on ebay. They were returned items from Best Buy. I would test them, then re-sell on ebay. We moved about $50k of inventory per month. Not only was I never scammed, I can only recall a handful of buyers who were difficult to work with when an issue came about.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm

I have a like-new (replacement unused- I think it may be a brand new phone but I cannot guarantee that it is not reconditioned) Axon 7 for sale....the phone seems to get about $200-250 used on eBay. I am selling it in its original box with a quality Spigen case that I purchased separately, and charger, USB-C cable, etc. So it is a higher ticket item than the $70 phone quoted above.

I like Craigslist but my concern in selling something costly locally is that if the phone has a problem months down the road some local person may harass me about it. If I sell on eBay I can offer a 7 day return policy and not hear from them again (hopefully).

I would think that scamming sellers on eBay (as opposed to scamming buyers) would be relatively rare, but perhaps I am mistaken.

I'll look into Swappa.....I have never used them.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 am

I have sold lots of expensive camera gear and electronics on Craigslist (most sales were a lot more than $250). Only once did I have a buyer call me about anything at all after the sale, and it was within 10 minutes after I left him. We discussed his problem, it was clear he was mentally ill (I had hints of this before the sale, but I wanted to make the sale anyway), and I quickly went back and refunded his money before things got out of hand. The next week I sold the item to someone else who wasn’t crazy.

Most Craigslist buyers and sellers are really nice people, and even the ones that would never be my best friend are at least polite. Even the crazy guy I refunded the money to.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 am

I sell on CL, swappa and ebay. I always get pretty much top dollar unless I want something sold quickly and I give some discount. I have never been scammed on ebay. I'm not a power seller but I have sold over 120 items at eBay, roughly half of them electronics: 50+inch TV/phones/tablets/laptop.

Gazelle or whatever usually give you crap prices. Penny on a dollar. I don't recommend it at all.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am

Momus wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 am
I sell on CL, swappa and ebay. I always get pretty much top dollar unless I want something sold quickly and I give some discount. I have never been scammed on ebay. I'm not a power seller but I have sold over 120 items at eBay, roughly half of them electronics: 50+inch TV/phones/tablets/laptop.

Gazelle or whatever usually give you crap prices. Penny on a dollar. I don't recommend it at all.
Which of the three would you recommend as a first choice for selling a cell phone in the $250 range?
Would you recommend set pricing or auction to get best price?
Would you factor shipping into your asking price or charge separate shipping price?
Thanks.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am
Momus wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 am

Which of the three would you recommend as a first choice for selling a cell phone in the $250 range?
Would you recommend set pricing or auction to get best price?
Would you factor shipping into your asking price or charge separate shipping price?
Thanks.
Swappa with a fixed $10 fee. Ebay charges around 13.3%. I normally put everything as free shipping and if I sell in CL, I lower the price by deducting eBay fee+shipping free. Honestly, shipping cost isn't bad. You can get the flat rate envelope usps for $6.

jcchen

Post by jcchen » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 pm

check the prevailing prices for your phone on the swappa, crraiglist and ebay. then subtract fees and shipping.

on ebay, goto advanced search and check completed sales over $50. that will filter out sales of accessories like cases. if you never sold on ebay, this would NOT be my first choice. buyers may hesitate to buy from a new user with 0 feedback. and you have to be careful about your description and give good photos. sell to usa addresses only. and offer free shipping and buy it now.

CL only works in big metro areas, w/ many potential customers. you can offer to meet at a cell phone carrier shop where buyer can verify the phone has good IMEI, not under contract, not owe carrier any money, etc.

for a cell phone, i would go with swappa if the net proceeds are similar.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 pm

I've been selling on eBay for nearly a decade now. It used to be pretty easy. Nowadays. Scams everywhere. I am seasoned so I can detect it but it still costs me money.

For example, I sold a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for $500. The buyer is a scammer and tries to pay me with an account with funds pending. I don't know what that means in bank speak. But to me, it means I'm not getting the money and the transaction will be canceled. True enough it gets canceled after 7 days but I have to wait 2+ weeks to clear the account before I can relist. Well, now the phone is worth $400 because the iPhone 8 just came out. My new buyer claims they never received the item despite signature confirmation and tracking. Paypal immediately took the amount out of my account. Since it was empty, my account is negative. I had a $40 promotion coupon from eBay for selling the phone but I can't use it because I have to pay the negative balance first. Given the settlement is usually in the buyer's favor, I am not going to take the chance. I am on week 3 of the dispute and the buyer has gone radio silent. No doubt, he is enjoying the phone and disappointed he couldn't double dip. He's not going to cancel the dispute. He'll just let it sit there to bug me for 8 weeks?...I don't know how long until eBay decides to close the dispute.

Tl:DR I like eBay and I'd do it again on eBay. You get the most money on eBay. But I wouldn't recommend eBay to anyone. Maybe if it was a small item worth less than $100.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 pm
I've been selling on eBay for nearly a decade now. It used to be pretty easy. Nowadays. Scams everywhere. I am seasoned so I can detect it but it still costs me money.

For example, I sold a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for $500. The buyer is a scammer and tries to pay me with an account with funds pending. I don't know what that means in bank speak. But to me, it means I'm not getting the money and the transaction will be canceled. True enough it gets canceled after 7 days but I have to wait 2+ weeks to clear the account before I can relist. Well, now the phone is worth $400 because the iPhone 8 just came out. My new buyer claims they never received the item despite signature confirmation and tracking. Paypal immediately took the amount out of my account. Since it was empty, my account is negative. I had a $40 promotion coupon from eBay for selling the phone but I can't use it because I have to pay the negative balance first. Given the settlement is usually in the buyer's favor, I am not going to take the chance. I am on week 3 of the dispute and the buyer has gone radio silent. No doubt, he is enjoying the phone and disappointed he couldn't double dip. He's not going to cancel the dispute. He'll just let it sit there to bug me for 8 weeks?...I don't know how long until eBay decides to close the dispute.

Tl:DR I like eBay and I'd do it again on eBay. You get the most money on eBay. But I wouldn't recommend eBay to anyone. Maybe if it was a small item worth less than $100.
I have sold a lot of random things on ebay.... so far no issues. In this case, did you have insurance on the shipping to collect for a loss? Was the buyer someone with a good rating and a number of completed transactions? I shudder to think of running into a scammer, but craigslist for expensive electronics has added personal security issues with people showing up and taking your items with a threat or weapon... At this point, perhaps I should stick to my little neighborhood garage sale group on facebook, where the buyers are all local only? And with a negative paypal balance, I hope you disconnected your bank and CC from them!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 am

TO ALL WHO RECOMMENDED SWAPPA....THANK YOU!

I sold my phone on Swappa within less than 24 hours of listing it and got more than I thought I would for it. It all went smoothly, and yes, I agree, it seems more secure than eBay.

Great tip! Thanks!!

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:59 pm

CAsage wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm
mmmodem wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 pm

I have sold a lot of random things on ebay.... so far no issues. In this case, did you have insurance on the shipping to collect for a loss? Was the buyer someone with a good rating and a number of completed transactions? I shudder to think of running into a scammer, but craigslist for expensive electronics has added personal security issues with people showing up and taking your items with a threat or weapon... At this point, perhaps I should stick to my little neighborhood garage sale group on facebook, where the buyers are all local only? And with a negative paypal balance, I hope you disconnected your bank and CC from them!
For a $400 item, you betcha I bought insurance. The dispute was finally closed by eBay last week due to inactivity from the buyer as expected. The buyer had a 100% rating with hundreds of feedback. You don't get to choose your buyer unfortunately. PayPal can't legally take money from your bank account or credit card without your permission, so I'm not too worried.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Ebay?
Start the auction at 1 penny,
It always worked for me. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:31 pm

I sold 3 on Gazelle recently and was very pleased. No hassle and prompt payment. They even paid more than their quoted amount after they inspected them and found them in better than good condition.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Facebook’s Marketplace
Nextdoor’s For Sale & Free
Pranav

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm

I have sold phones on Ebay and had no problems.

If you don't have a fair amount of feedback though I wouldn't sell it. You need to look like a reputable seller.

I usually do free postage for something small like that like since you can mail it pretty cheap. Or do flat $5 which would cover most of the cost.

If it sells for a lot do signature confirmation.

Good luck!

brad.clarkston

Re: Gazelle

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 am
Avoid hassles.
Gazelle.com
+1 this much easier for someone that isn't a seller on eBay.