Online Canadian Pharmacy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
in_reality
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am

Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by in_reality » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 pm

A prescription for Metronidazole gel (acne) costs $150 in the US (without a prescription).

It is available at a Canadian pharmacy online for $35.

Any concerns or suggestions?

https://www.canadapharmacyonline.com/Dr ... trogel6116

Beck49
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by Beck49 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:30 pm

There is an organization that certifies these Canadian pharmacy.

I think it is here.

https://www.cipa.com/check-online-pharm ... ied-rogue/

Your pharmacy came up as verified.

I've used Northwest Pharmacy in the past and was very happy with the service. Your site seems cheaper for this particular drug. In my experience, you have to wait several weeks and the drug comes from off shore.

Good luck.

need403bhelp
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by need403bhelp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Try goodrx

https://m.goodrx.com/metronidazole?dosa ... quantity=1

In my area, I get cheapest 0.75% metronidazole gel 45 gm ~$35 cash at Costco.

Slightly more expensive (yours is 60 gm) but much less hassle

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 11577
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by Watty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm

We get a different prescription from a different Canadian pharmacy without any problems.

https://www.onlinecanadianpharmacy.com/

I am not sure but why, but they only take American Express.

One thing to check on is which country your prescription will be shipped from to make sure that it will be shipped from Canada. Some of them will ship from various countries around the world.

Nate79
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by Nate79 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Concerns? Yes, it is illegal. Yes many do it and yes it is basically not enforced.

User avatar
in_reality
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by in_reality » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 pm
Concerns? Yes, it is illegal. Yes many do it and yes it is basically not enforced.
Thanks for the info. I have no problem being dragged to court but it’d probably be contempt for complaining about price gouging for necessities.

It doesn’t cost them that much more if anything to charge my card. They just know people who have no alternative will have to pay 5 -6 times the normal price.

Sigh...unfortunately I am shipping to a minor child in the US and it would be the end of me to get them and their school dragged in.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 41083
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Thread locked for moderator review.

The import is illegal, but not enforced under certain circumstances. See:

- Laws Governing Online Pharmacies
- How Do I Know If An Online Pharmacy Is Legitimate?
- Information for Consumers (Drugs) > Imported Drugs Raise Safety Concerns
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 41083
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Upon further review, we have an older thread: Using Canadian Pharmacies

As long as the discussion is within the legal framework described in the referenced thread and here, we can continue. This thread is now unlocked.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mouses
Posts: 2322
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by mouses » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Watty wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm
We get a different prescription from a different Canadian pharmacy without any problems.

https://www.onlinecanadianpharmacy.com/

I am not sure but why, but they only take American Express.

One thing to check on is which country your prescription will be shipped from to make sure that it will be shipped from Canada. Some of them will ship from various countries around the world.
I've bought from these people for a number of years. Most major credit cards will not let you charge for Canadian meds. I am surprised to see that AmEx does. Maybe things have changed. I send a check.

You can ask what countries a particular med is available from and choose the one you want at slightly varying prices. I buy ones from the UK. I think they are shipped from the UK, but I don't recollect off the top of my head.

My cat's asthma med costs $400 in the US, about $60 from this site from the UK.

I have no ethical qualms about doing this whatsoever. I used to believe the propaganda about the extra cost being for research, until I read a nytimes article about bigpharma employees laughing about how they had jacked up the cost of end of life cancer meds by some tremendous amount because patients had no choice.

User avatar
gasdoc
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by gasdoc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 am

I am self insured, with an old health insurance policy that has been grandfathered in. I pay full price for any meds my family uses. Two family members use steroid inhalers for asthma. I buy these from a verified Canadian pharmacy, and have for years. As a previous poster wrote, it can take a few weeks to get the product. I order when our supply gets down to about one month, which for these inhales means we are down to the last one. For less expensive meds, we use GoodRX to get a coupon at the lowest priced pharmacy in our area (it varies by the drug, but it is usually at a Kroger Pharmacy or Walmart.

gasdoc

sport
Posts: 6081
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by sport » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am

gasdoc wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 am
I am self insured, with an old health insurance policy that has been grandfathered in. I pay full price for any meds my family uses. Two family members use steroid inhalers for asthma. I buy these from a verified Canadian pharmacy, and have for years. As a previous poster wrote, it can take a few weeks to get the product. I order when our supply gets down to about one month, which for these inhales means we are down to the last one. For less expensive meds, we use GoodRX to get a coupon at the lowest priced pharmacy in our area (it varies by the drug, but it is usually at a Kroger Pharmacy or Walmart.

gasdoc
Can you share the price and number of doses in the steroid inhalers?

User avatar
in_reality
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by in_reality » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Thanks everyone!

Due to the legal concerns (I read the links and fine print -- thanks LadyGeek!) and not wanting to make my son's school worry about receiving medicine from a Canadian pharmacy, I kept looking for a US pharmacy who didn't charge so much for self payment.

I found one in Arizona that would fill and ship the prescription for $25 vs. the $150 quoted by the pharmacy that the school uses.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. It's greatly appreciated.

hudson
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by hudson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 am

It pays to shop around and ask questions on forums like this. A good scrounger never pays retail.

User avatar
gasdoc
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by gasdoc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 am

sport wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am
gasdoc wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 am
I am self insured, with an old health insurance policy that has been grandfathered in. I pay full price for any meds my family uses. Two family members use steroid inhalers for asthma. I buy these from a verified Canadian pharmacy, and have for years. As a previous poster wrote, it can take a few weeks to get the product. I order when our supply gets down to about one month, which for these inhales means we are down to the last one. For less expensive meds, we use GoodRX to get a coupon at the lowest priced pharmacy in our area (it varies by the drug, but it is usually at a Kroger Pharmacy or Walmart.

gasdoc
Can you share the price and number of doses in the steroid inhalers?
Varies depending upon the number of inhalers you purchase at one time, maybe $50-$75 per inhaler. 100 doses per inhaler. Much less than US.

gasdoc

sport
Posts: 6081
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by sport » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am

gasdoc wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 am
sport wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am
gasdoc wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 am
I am self insured, with an old health insurance policy that has been grandfathered in. I pay full price for any meds my family uses. Two family members use steroid inhalers for asthma. I buy these from a verified Canadian pharmacy, and have for years. As a previous poster wrote, it can take a few weeks to get the product. I order when our supply gets down to about one month, which for these inhales means we are down to the last one. For less expensive meds, we use GoodRX to get a coupon at the lowest priced pharmacy in our area (it varies by the drug, but it is usually at a Kroger Pharmacy or Walmart.

gasdoc
Can you share the price and number of doses in the steroid inhalers?
Varies depending upon the number of inhalers you purchase at one time, maybe $50-$75 per inhaler. 100 doses per inhaler. Much less than US.

gasdoc
Thanks. The one I use seems to be available with 60 or 120 doses. So apparently it is different. However, it is also expensive. Fortunately my insurance covers it and my copay is $30.

neilpilot
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by neilpilot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 am

Watty wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm
We get a different prescription from a different Canadian pharmacy without any problems.

https://www.onlinecanadianpharmacy.com/

I am not sure but why, but they only take American Express.

One thing to check on is which country your prescription will be shipped from to make sure that it will be shipped from Canada. Some of them will ship from various countries around the world.
I take a medication that is currently inexpensive using my Part D coverage, but is going into Tier 4 next year. The monthly cost will increase from about $3 to $95. I decided to check on pricing using the pharmacy you recommend above, and the price for a 3 month supply would run around $59/mo. Also, for my medication, they say the pharmacy is "based in Canada, India, New Zealand, Singapore, Australia, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, or Mauritius". I ended up ordering from the pharmacy referenced by the OP, using my Visa card, and the meds will be shipping from India at a cost of $15/mo.

sawhorse
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by sawhorse » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 am

I save over $1000 a month by ordering from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in British Columbia. They have an actual physical pharmacy in addition to their online ordering. They have some partners in other countries (India I think), and when ordering they will tell you where the medication is coming from. Often you will have a choice of paying more--but still less than you would in the United States--for medications shipped from their British Columbia pharmacy, or save by having medication shipped from their partner in another country.

If you take any temperature sensitive medications like insulin, I highly recommend using them as you can choose to have it express shipped in a temperature controlled container.

I've had no problems using credit cards.

While many medications are cheaper in Canada, don't automatically assume this is the case. A recent drug I took was about $1 per pill in the United States and $10 per pill in Canada before shipping charges.

User avatar
gasdoc
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by gasdoc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:26 am

sport wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am
gasdoc wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 am
sport wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am
gasdoc wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 am
I am self insured, with an old health insurance policy that has been grandfathered in. I pay full price for any meds my family uses. Two family members use steroid inhalers for asthma. I buy these from a verified Canadian pharmacy, and have for years. As a previous poster wrote, it can take a few weeks to get the product. I order when our supply gets down to about one month, which for these inhales means we are down to the last one. For less expensive meds, we use GoodRX to get a coupon at the lowest priced pharmacy in our area (it varies by the drug, but it is usually at a Kroger Pharmacy or Walmart.

gasdoc
Can you share the price and number of doses in the steroid inhalers?
Varies depending upon the number of inhalers you purchase at one time, maybe $50-$75 per inhaler. 100 doses per inhaler. Much less than US.

gasdoc
Thanks. The one I use seems to be available with 60 or 120 doses. So apparently it is different. However, it is also expensive. Fortunately my insurance covers it and my copay is $30.
Actually, the doses of the inhalers internationally are slightly different as well, but it really makes no difference. They probably do that to isolate the US market. Just ask your doc to choose one of the strengths in the international market. The international one my family uses is 200mcg. The US inhaler is 180 mpg. It makes no difference which one you use.

gasdoc

wisevermilion
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by wisevermilion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

I will echo the recommendation to try GoodRx. GoodRx is used in place of commercial insurance (so it will not count towards your deductible).

neilpilot
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Online Canadian Pharmacy

Post by neilpilot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm

wisevermilion wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm
I will echo the recommendation to try GoodRx. GoodRx is used in place of commercial insurance (so it will not count towards your deductible).
For a drug that I take, that is moving into Tier 4 in 2018, my cost with Part D insurance would be about $95/dose. I just ordered from a Canadian pharmacy at a cost of $15/dose. When I checked GoodRx, it was $65/dose.

Post Reply