Anyone understand Permanent Press washing machine cycle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
knightrider

Anyone understand Permanent Press washing machine cycle?

Post by knightrider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Every washing machine has it , but nobody seems to really know what it does. Apparently it reduces wrinkles. Has anyone verified it actually works? I would think you would still have to iron, so who cares if it has less wrinkles? Plus most people wear wrinkle-free clothing these days. So it seems pointless.

JohnFiscal

Re: Anyone understand Permanent Press washing machine cycle?

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 pm

I use the cycle for those of my dress shirts sold as "permanent press". Not that I really accept that these shirts can be worn without any ironing (and eventually the press finish washes out); I always iron them. I believe that the wash cycle is at lower temperature and less agitation, producing less creasing; this is a top load HE washer. The wrinkles are supposed to come out in the dryer.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm

I have been using it my entire clothes-washing life - I have never, ever used other cycles.

Why? Because that is always what my mom used.

Does it do anything fancy? Who knows, but my clothes have been clean upon coming out!

Post by 123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Someone over at sears.com whispered the following to me:

A washer on permanent press will wash clothes in warm water and rinse them in cool water, maintaining a mild agitation and spin. The warm water helps relax creases while the slow spin prevents new wrinkles from forming. A permanent press cycle is gentler than a regular cycle, making it good for synthetic fibers like polyester, rayon and knits. Because it does not use hot water, a permanent press cycle will also reduce shrinking and color fading.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Less spinning, and less heat (both was and dryer).

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:48 pm

123 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm
Someone over at sears.com whispered the following to me:

A washer on permanent press will wash clothes in warm water and rinse them in cool water, maintaining a mild agitation and spin. The warm water helps relax creases while the slow spin prevents new wrinkles from forming. A permanent press cycle is gentler than a regular cycle, making it good for synthetic fibers like polyester, rayon and knits. Because it does not use hot water, a permanent press cycle will also reduce shrinking and color fading.
I have an idiot washing machine that, when it's set to warm, alternates dumping hot and cold water into the tub. Obviously designed by someone who has never washed clothes in his life.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm

"Permanent press" is just an older term for what you call "wrinkle free". In order for the clothes to remain permanently pressed or wrinkle free, they should not be washed in hot water, should be rinsed in cool water, not be agitated too long or too fast and removed from the washer promptly. The permanent press cycle allows for the first four to happen automatically. You're in charge of the last. This automation was more important in the pre-energy saving days when rinse water could be hot or warm or cold, and mid-range washers actually had two different agitator speeds.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm

DW says so. That's all I need to know.
I only do my own clothes. Other house machines are off limits.
Stay safe.