I Cut the Cord yesterday!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
soccerdad12

I Cut the Cord yesterday!

Post by soccerdad12 »

Just wanted to say loud and proud that I finally cut the cord from cable yesterday! I now only get internet from Spectrum and we have youtube TV (I had to have access to ESPN) for our channels along with hulu and netflix. It feels great to return all of the equipment to Spectrum. It was funny because everyone around me in line were cutting the cord too and returning their equipment. The cable companies must be in trouble and I wonder if they are going to start raising the price of internet services?
jebmke

Re: I Cut the Cord yesterday!

Post by jebmke »

How does the offering compare to PS Vue?

Every time I look at these I get stymied by the lack of MASN which is on my cable feed. Orioles games.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy »

Its odd that people brag about cutting the cable then they purchase other services to replace cutting the cable. Netflix, hulu, youtube tv, playstation tv, etc etc.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

p0nyboy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am Its odd that people brag about cutting the cable then they purchase other services to replace cutting the cable. Netflix, hulu, youtube tv, playstation tv, etc etc.
Not really. It is quite a significant cost savings. The simplicity is what I loved. All the cords from the wall jack, the DVR and old clunky cable boxes. Hopeless remotes that come with the old cable systems.

All our TVs are wi-fi now. Amazon Fire TV or Stick. Simple/easy to use remote. No extra cables or cords.

Less is less sometimes.
harvestbook

Post by harvestbook »

p0nyboy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am Its odd that people brag about cutting the cable then they purchase other services to replace cutting the cable. Netflix, hulu, youtube tv, playstation tv, etc etc.
Cutting from $100 a month to $30 or so is not nothing. I've never had cable but I don't mind paying $10 a month for Netflix (and we get Prime for "free" since we had it for the free shipping anyway.) Any move toward minimalism is to be applauded.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.
Brokepilot

Post by Brokepilot »

I cut the cord last year and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately internet still costs $60 bucks but it is way better then the $120-$200 I was paying.
2019 Status: | Military Pilot. | Two mortgages, one a rental. | Maxing out the TSP and trying to max out Vanguard Roth.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Nothing odd about it. Now we can watch what we want when we want instead of being forced to buy extra channels we'll never watch. I'll be glad to see traditional cable die.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Not really - now I have a lot of free TV over the air - and when I want something else, I only pay for what I want. Bill went from over $150 to less than $20. I call that a win. :sharebeer
AJS

Post by AJS »

soccerdad12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am Just wanted to say loud and proud that I finally cut the cord from cable yesterday! I now only get internet from Spectrum and we have youtube TV (I had to have access to ESPN) for our channels along with hulu and netflix. It feels great to return all of the equipment to Spectrum. It was funny because everyone around me in line were cutting the cord too and returning their equipment. The cable companies must be in trouble and I wonder if they are going to start raising the price of internet services?
Congrats! I cut the cord a couple of years ago and it has saved me lots of money. I had a home phone, internet and tv bundle. Now I have Ooma for phone and Sling for cable channels. The price of my internet service has not changed since I cancelled everything else. The provider knows I can (and will) switch to the phone company for internet service at any time.
Admirer of the great John Bogle
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Congrats! We are going on about 5-years now. We went with an antenna and that was it ($19.99 one-time from Amazon). We also watch some Amazon Prime videos, but subscribe to Prime for the shipping, not the TV.

Our next goal? I want to get rid of remaining TV set in the house.
ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower »

soccerdad12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am Just wanted to say loud and proud that I finally cut the cord from cable yesterday! I now only get internet from Spectrum and we have youtube TV (I had to have access to ESPN) for our channels along with hulu and netflix. It feels great to return all of the equipment to Spectrum. It was funny because everyone around me in line were cutting the cord too and returning their equipment. The cable companies must be in trouble and I wonder if they are going to start raising the price of internet services?
Good for you! I for one don't miss cable at all. I will say Time Warner, now Spectrum has raised my internet rate incrementally from 20 to 60/month for minimal 15Mb service since we cut the cord 2-3 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it continues to go up, but even with the increases and adding Sling, we're easily saving over 100/month and enjoying the content we do watch much more.
furwut

Post by furwut »

soccerdad12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am The cable companies must be in trouble and I wonder if they are going to start raising the price of internet services?
In many places they already have and have been doing so for some time. Comcast is also rolling out data caps so, in the near future, all that streaming is still going to cost you plenty.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

• We've saved maybe 1500 / year, and have cut the cord for nearly 10 years now? Thats something!
  • Call your internet provider when your promo rates expire. Go straight into the line to cancel your service, and have a good idea what they are offering new customers. Thats about 500$ / year for us in better prices.
  • When you don't have cable, I find we watch far less commercials and junk programming. When we visit family with cable, I'm always shocked in the amount of rubbish on pay TV. What's even more shocking is the amount people pay for it.
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

I can't wait for comcast to lower Internet cable rates. :|
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
squirm

Post by squirm »

We don't take television too serious. We usually watch old Seinfeld shows, news, etc.i will watch squak box while getting ready. We never pay more than $50/mon for dish. Most important to us is the 30 second skip.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I went from about $180/month with cable to $85 with Youtube TV plus internet. Just because I didn't go to $0 doesn't mean I'm not very pleased with the results. Oh, I have an antenna and OTA TiVo DVR too. It took be 5 months to break even on those. I now have a more complete selection of channels for my needs than I had with cable but am saving $95/month. That's almost $1200/year savings! I have zero desire to have cable again and I watch a lot of TV.

Edit: Added cost of internet.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

My intro rates with Comcast started at 40 something, went into 50 something, and finally got to $86.

I called to cancel knowing they had an intro offer for 40. Initially they refused but when they saw I was going to cancel they folded. They offered 40 dollar deal but with a tv bundle. That particular bundle had tv taxes. So we are back in 50 something range. They had an internet only deal but you had to sign a 3 year commitment. Bogus! I went ahead and cancelled.

Got att fiber for 40. No tv bundle and tv taxes.

Save yourself they headache. Get an antenna. Dump cable
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

We cut the cord many moons ago. I’m going to guess it’s been 7-8 years. We also got rid of Netflix and don’t subscribe to any other paid services. We mostly watch DVDs borrowed from library and various streaming content. Our library membership now provides us with several streaming service options. What’s hard to replace for free are live sports. For me, I saw it as an opportunity to wean myself off sports and I’m glad of it.

Although it sounds as though the move was primarily for cost savings it was not. I think there one of the worst habits a human can indulge in is mindless tv viewing. While one can be aware one is doing so, it’s rather easy to fall back into the habit. The option of turning on the boob tube to the local news and plopping down in the easy chair has been removed.
p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy »

Wow sounds like everyones cable service is brutal. I pay $90/month for 100meg internet. For an additional $30 I get 150 channels in, hi def. It doesnt make sense for me to not pay for cable tv...then pick up netflix, hulu, youtube tv, etc etc. Im lucky I suppose.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I pay $64 for Spectrum internet here in Central FL. Spectrum bought Brighthouse when I was paying $58 for 24mbps. Spectrum then bumped speed to 60 for $6 more. Last week Spectrum sent me a letter saying my speed was now 100mbps for the same $64. I tested and I'm getting 110 this morning.
I know a price hike has got to be coming. I was fine at 24 & 60 speeds even with 15 or more wireless devices in-house.

PlayStation Vue, TiVo Roamio OTA (80 channels, watch about 30), Netflix, Amazon Prime. Recurring monthly cost $54.23. I have never had better programing. My wife and I are homebodies. We don't like going to movies. Mostly eat in. Occasional baseball or hockey game. We do like to watch good quality programs on our terms & no commercials. Dropped Directv over 2 years ago ($140 a month).

I agree we don't "Cut the Cord". We adjusted to take advantage of new technology, while rediscovering older. Television (radio too) has changed back to old school (antennas) & new school (internet). I love radio too. I listen to local stations & broadcasts from around the world! The internet is a utility, used for communication, security, entertainment, financial, information, shopping. Think how computers and internet has affected our lives & changed the world. Incredible.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I cut the cord the month after my husband died--after realizing that he was the only TV watcher in the family. That was June 2013. My young adult daughter (who lives with me) and I have not missed it since then (except--a little--during the National Spelling Bee. There are years we have joked about going out to a sports bar to watch it! Believe it or not, some people in sports bars watch the bee and bet on the spellers! But that is not our style so we have not gone that route. Usually we figure something out--sometimes it is available on an internet channel or we go to a friend's home.)
jriding

Post by jriding »

Century Link 40 mbps internet: $25/mo
Netflix: $10/mo
Amazon Prime: $100/yr (not sure how to allocate this to TV since I also value the 2-day shipping, photo cloud storage, and music service)

Where we're getting hit is purchasing seasons of my kids two favorite shows via Amazon: Supergirl and Flash at ~$40/season each. :oops:
But at least, in this case, we're only paying for what we watch.
simple man

Post by simple man »

And if you want the premium cord cutting experience, I highly recommend that after you get your antenna, get a DVR for over the air broadcasting. I got mine from Channel Master and it is awesome. One time charge, and if you get the wifi connected model, they provide you a full channel guide on the screen for the next 2 weeks - for FREE. It allows you to save shows and also rewind live tv!
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Don't you still have "a cord" (sounds like from the same Cable Company) for Internet Service? :happy

In my area - if I buy Internet Service WITHOUT TV it is far more expensive as a single service that it is when bundled with a 2-year triple-play package (e.g. adding TV Service is really not that much more than paying for High-Speed Internet alone).
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

simple man wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 am And if you want the premium cord cutting experience, I highly recommend that after you get your antenna, get a DVR for over the air broadcasting. I got mine from Channel Master and it is awesome. One time charge, and if you get the wifi connected model, they provide you a full channel guide on the screen for the next 2 weeks - for FREE. It allows you to save shows and also rewind live tv!
Another excellent option is the TiVo Roamio OTA 1gb DVR. It includes the guide (for the life of the DVR) for free. It also has a great commercial skip feature. For popular shows shortly after they air the commercials are 'marked.' After this is done pushing one button when a commercial begins will skip the entire commercial break. Price is $369 on Amazon.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

The more I read this the more lost I get. I guess it's like the confusion some people feel doing math. I'm surpried there are not independent companies that will piece these things together for you based on your needs and desires.
euroswiss

Post by euroswiss »

soccerdad12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am The cable companies must be in trouble and I wonder if they are going to start raising the price of internet services?
you can count on that! In the end, the piper has to paid somehow...
euroswiss

Post by euroswiss »

noco-hawkeye wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 pm
  • Call your internet provider when your promo rates expire. Go straight into the line to cancel your service, and have a good idea what they are offering new customers. Thats about 500$ / year for us in better prices.
Be prepared for them to call your bluff though. I have found that it is pretty common these days for them to let you walk, rather than negotiate. Just had that experience and ended up switching from Spectrum back to ATT U-verse. I have no doubt that 12 months (24 months at best) from now, I'll be switching back to Spectrum again because ATT will have become excessive by then. I seem to play the same game back and forth for both, my own place and my MIL's place.... :?
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

Mitchell777 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 am The more I read this the more lost I get. I guess it's like the confusion some people feel doing math. I'm surpried there are not independent companies that will piece these things together for you based on your needs and desires.
Based on the prices from the new providers coming out (Youtube TV, SlingTV, etc), I have a feeling they are priced close to as low as they can go. It wouldn't surprise me if they were at a breakeven point now, or even losing money in order to attract new customers.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

ERISA Stone wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am
Mitchell777 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 am The more I read this the more lost I get. I guess it's like the confusion some people feel doing math. I'm surpried there are not independent companies that will piece these things together for you based on your needs and desires.
Based on the prices from the new providers coming out (Youtube TV, SlingTV, etc), I have a feeling they are priced close to as low as they can go. It wouldn't surprise me if they were at a breakeven point now, or even losing money in order to attract new customers.
The companies providing the live TV streaming services as well as cable companies must negotiate with the networks to carry their programming. As I understand, the networks often own multiple 'channels' such as NBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, The Golf Channel, etc. and will not break these out channels out individually for licensing, or make it cost prohibitive to do so. For this reason the consumer can buy 'packages' of channels rather than a la carte channels. I don't know what might change this other than competition but as long as the major networks own most of the channels I suspect they all are better off not allowing a la carte at reasonable prices to happen - so it won't.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I also cut the cord last weekend.

I get pretty good broadcast. I have a big old antenna in the attic and it took me 2 hours of running downstairs to the rec room and back up to try and get the angle correct to receive CBS-2 Chicago and NBC-5.

I have an HD homerun and watch broadcast on my computer with a large monitor in my bedroom and I can also stream it to any wifi device in the house with appropriate software.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 am
The companies providing the live TV streaming services as well as cable companies must negotiate with the networks to carry their programming. As I understand, the networks often own multiple 'channels' such as NBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, The Golf Channel, etc. and will not break these out channels out individually for licensing, or make it cost prohibitive to do so. For this reason the consumer can buy 'packages' of channels rather than a la carte channels. I don't know what might change this other than competition but as long as the major networks own most of the channels I suspect they all are better off not allowing a la carte at reasonable prices to happen - so it won't.
I was thinking more along the lines of contractors who could analyze your needs/desires and tell you to use some combination of inside or outside antennae, Hulu, Netflex, Sling, YouTube etc etc and then help in setting that up. I am probably the only one that finds this all confusing. May be about getting old.
Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj »

FYI: you MIGHT be able to get (small) additional savings by replacing YouTubeTV with Hulu Live (which gives you, I think, everything YouTube TV offers, plus what you already have on your regular Hulu).

Per some quick research, YouTubeTV costs $35 a month; Hulu Live costs $40 a month (but that $40 includes everything you're currently paying for with your Hulu -- presumably $10 a month -- meaning you'd save $5 a month switching to Hulu Live TV only).

But maybe there's something on YouTubeTV that I'm missing that is extra value to you....
mxs

Post by mxs »

sschoe2 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:34 pm
I get pretty good broadcast. I have a big old antenna in the attic and it took me 2 hours of running downstairs to the rec room and back up to try and get the angle correct to receive CBS-2 Chicago and NBC-5.
My antennae reception is very disappointing. I have an amplified flat rectangular one that often loses a channel when traffic outside seems to block the signal. I don't know if it is my house, the direction the stations are transmitting from, my antenna, or some combination of all of these. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be happy to hear them.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Chadnudj wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm
FYI: you MIGHT be able to get (small) additional savings by replacing YouTubeTV with Hulu Live (which gives you, I think, everything YouTube TV offers, plus what you already have on your regular Hulu).

Per some quick research, YouTubeTV costs $35 a month; Hulu Live costs $40 a month (but that $40 includes everything you're currently paying for with your Hulu -- presumably $10 a month -- meaning you'd save $5 a month switching to Hulu Live TV only).

But maybe there's something on YouTubeTV that I'm missing that is extra value to you....
I've found that price isn't everything with streaming services. We've tried nearly every live TV streaming service and have found YouTube TV to be far and away the most reliable. What that translates into is an excellent quality picture that doesn't change with time, no buffering, no ballgames blacked out by mistake, no "oops, there's been a technical error" messages, etc. It just works well and works well all the time, every time. I think that's what most of us expect when it comes to TV but in our experience many of the services didn't deliver. It's probably not surprising that Youtube TV is technically better than most given that it's owned by Google which means it has access their practically unlimited resources.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Mitchell777 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 am
I was thinking more along the lines of contractors who could analyze your needs/desires and tell you to use some combination of inside or outside antennae, Hulu, Netflex, Sling, YouTube etc etc and then help in setting that up. I am probably the only one that finds this all confusing. May be about getting old.
I told my wife a few months ago I should do this, kind of a Entertainment Media Advisor. I don't find it confusing, and never really thought others would be confused either. But just reading some posts on a local neighborhood forum told me there a lot of folks who think it is confusing. I think that whole analog/digital transition caused people to think you better have cable or satellite or you'll be shut out. Now throw in streaming media & WiFi, well maybe there is a market for that. Wouldn't want to go up on rooftops or crawl through attics though! :D
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Also consider the number of concurrent streams allowed for each streaming service.

Hulu Live is 2.

Playstation Vue is 5. (This is where we are for the past 18 months +)

SlingTV has a 1 tier view and then another tier for multiple viewers.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

How could you connect to the outside world by cutting cord? Do you use wireless ISP?
mrc

Post by mrc »

Mitchell777 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 pm
I like the idea. Say I have FiOS ISP, phone, and some TV plan for $150/mo. On the TV we watch N networks regularly. Few sports.

Q: What component technologies would give us those channels and work with FiOS ISP for our TV preferences, and at what cost?

I'd use a tool that would spit out a list.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm How could you connect to the outside world by cutting cord? Do you use wireless ISP?
Cut one of the two cords. The one I cut was the most expensive - by far.
tj

Post by tj »

Why is it odd? You save a ton of $$$ and electricity by cutting out the cable comapny. Those cable boxes, DVR etc suck a lot of power.
tj

Post by tj »

mxs wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm
My antennae reception is very disappointing. I have an amplified flat rectangular one that often loses a channel when traffic outside seems to block the signal. I don't know if it is my house, the direction the stations are transmitting from, my antenna, or some combination of all of these. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be happy to hear them.
The flat antennas are terible. You need a real antenna. Try a Winegard Freevision.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:06 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm How could you connect to the outside world by cutting cord? Do you use wireless ISP?
two cords for your home before? one cold water and another hot water? now you cut the heated one for savings?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:06 pm
two cords for your home before? one cold water and another hot water? now you cut the heated one for savings?
But I'm not without hot water. I'm getting the same hot water through another company for a fraction of the cost.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I cut cable a year ago and the savings have been minimal to me (~$10-$20 per month), however I'm really glad that I made the move because I absolutely hated the fact that once my cable contract was up, they would jack the price up by like 50%, then I'd have to renegotiate and repeat the cycle. I'm never switching back to traditional cable.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

We "cut the cord" approximately 3 years ago. FIOS internet only for $54.00 / mo plus PS VUE which we split with friends ($40/2 = $20.00), Netflix ($10), and Hulu ($12). My bill went from almost $180/mo to just under $100. While I understand it may be cheaper to bundle packages nowadays, where FIOS gets you is with the taxes and set-top box rentals. They require you to rent a set-top box. Internet only = no taxes and no equipment rentals since we own our modem.

With regards to promotional rates, at the end of my contract I always make a concerted effort to receive the newest promotional rate offered to new customers. If they balk, I walk. When I say walk, I essentially cancel the service in my name and open a new account, with the new customer rate, under my spouse's name. We have flip-flopped twice thus far with positive results.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

keystone wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm
I cut cable a year ago and the savings have been minimal to me (~$10-$20 per month), however I'm really glad that I made the move because I absolutely hated the fact that once my cable contract was up, they would jack the price up by like 50%, then I'd have to renegotiate and repeat the cycle. I'm never switching back to traditional cable.
This was a primary consideration of ours, although our savings are substantial. My wife usually did the calling (pleading, threatening, whatever worked) to the cable company to get our bill reduced. Although the first couple of times it seemed worth it, it quickly became a hated annual exercise. That was when I became determined to find an alternative to cable. Fortunately for me the live TV streaming services began to pop up at about this time. We switched to streaming and the services continued to proliferate adding more and more options. I was lucky that I started looking when I did. Had I started much sooner I would have been very frustrated.

When we first went to streaming our thought was that we now had real leverage with the cable company and that we could go back at anytime on the new customer rate and then continue switching back-and-forth between streaming and cable to keep the best rates. Once we hit upon Youtube TV we decided to stay with it until there's reason to change. So far we've found none. That may not be the case for everyone but we are very happy at this time staying where we are.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

mxs wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm
THe best antenna's I have are standard loop and dipoles with very long rods for the dipoles. I have those on TV's on the top floor of my house including the HDhomerun. It takes me about 20 minutes each time to get the perfect angle to get CBS-2 Chicago with one so once you get it I avoid moving it at all cost.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Smart Move .
We cut it 3 years ago.
Cable TV and Over the air channels are pretty much a thing of the past for us.
Youtube,Neflix,Amazon Prime cover our needs.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Instead of cutting cord, I enhanced cord. increased comcast speed to 50mp. Now I have Netflix, ooma voip, Tidal , comcast cell all on 50mp ISP. might increase speed to 100mp.