Has anyone bought a Samsung Note 8?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lynette

Has anyone bought a Samsung Note 8?

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 am

Has anyone tried the Galaxy Note 8. I've been reading the threads on the Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X and as well as well as researching the new Note 8. All seem to be around $1,000!

I need a new phone - lost my Note 5 and bought a temporary solution Note 4 from Ebay for $200. Its not working properly so need something new. I've had both iPhones and Android and switch back and forth. I don't like the bloatware on Samsung. Its a pain to disable the apps and then when there is an OS upgrade I had to do it again. I want a large screen (aging eyes), good camera, unlocked and GMS. I don't use a phone much as a phone - more for emergencies and GPS. I'm too lazy to mess around with having to install Sims, so I usually take my phone to AT&T. At the moment I have AT&T prepaid which costs me about $40.00 a month. This adequate for me.

I looked at the Note 8 but realistically I rarely use the stylus. The camera seems to be really good but I don't like Samsung bloatware. iPhone price is hefty but so is the Pixel and Note 8. I'm hard on phones and drop them so I'm concerned about the iPhone X and iPhone 8 plus glass breaking. So probably I'll get a iPhone 7 plus or Note 8. Pros and cons! I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Note 8.

Ron

Re: Has anyone bought a Samsung Note 8?

Post by Ron » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 am

Consider a Galaxy S8? It doesn't have a stylus but it does have some of the features of the Note 8.

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galax ... y-display/

The Galaxy and Note series phones are generally released on an annual basis, six months apart from each other. In six months, the new Galaxy (S9?) will probably be released with at least the features of the current Note 8.

- Ron

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks Ron. I've decided to go with the iPhone 7 plus. I used to buy phones and give the old ones to family members. Some time in the past I had the latest models of the Samsung Note and iPhone plus. I would run both and the Samsung phone always drained the battery faster. I know that test show they are often comparable. The difference was the Samsung bloatware. Its a pain to constantly disable the bloatware simply to have it re-activated when an upgrade is required. So I guess that this is the end of Samsung phones for me. I'm not so impressed with the upgrades of the iPhone X - plus all of the other accessories and insurance one has to buy.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:45 pm

I agree. I think you should buy the IPhone 6 Plus or the IPhone 7 Plus. These still have the Home button and the ear phone plug and no finger print stuff found it the 8 and X. Both have big nice screens and good cameras. Get the biggest memory available vs price that you are willing to pay. My wife loves her big screens as she cannot see either. Hers works great. Some restrictions on music due to Apple rules but lots of good stuff as well. Plus a very good camera.

Enjoy. Good Luck.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:51 pm

I couldn't bring myself to pay $1000 for a phone when my LG V10 suddenly up and died from the LG bootloop issue a little bit back. But the Galaxy S8+ was on sale that weekend for a bit over $700 for an unlocked version, so I went with that. I'm still getting used to the curved glass screen though, which has caused some keyboarding issues for letters along the curve. Battery life is far better than the LG V10. The V10 always drained the battery even if it was just sitting on the nightstand overnight with the most battery usage showing up for standard phone tasks like "device idle", "Android system", or "phone idle". I had to recharge it daily, and sometimes still had to swap to the spare battery before the end of the day.

My experience with the LG V10 is another reason I avoided the LG-produced Pixel 2 XL. Even if the price had been more reasonable, I'm not sure I trust LG's build quality and their firmware was a battery hog on the V10. I also like larger phones, so that's why I was looking at the S8+, Note 8, Pixel XL, etc. sized devices and not the smaller devices.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm

well...if you need a new phone...you can find many! I don't think you need to spend $1000 for it. I think only 5 ppl in the world NEED such an expensive phone... You can find great deals on Meizu or Xiami as chinaphones for example. even HTC

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 pm

knick17 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm
well...if you need a new phone...you can find many! I don't think you need to spend $1000 for it. I think only 5 ppl in the world NEED such an expensive phone... You can find great deals on Meizu or Xiami as chinaphones for example. even HTC
Not according to all the (young) guys standing in line this week to get the newest I-Phone :twisted: ...

I myself am running a Samsung J7 which I bought last year for around $275 (x2 - one for my wife). It does what I need, running MS software (Excel, Word, Outlook, Calendar, etc.) along with having a multitude of Android apps that were not supported by my two previous Windows Phones.

Heck, even Bill Gates runs an Android OS - using MS software of course :mrgreen: ...

- Ron

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I went to the Apple store. Its Sunday, raining and parking was crazy. Then the pleasant guard (policeman?) at the Apple Store agreed that he looked a little frightening with his gun and military-type equipment! The crowd was crazy and when I finally found an Apple Employee, I was told I'd have to stand in line for 30 minutes simply to get someone to talk to me. So I said forget it - I'd buy Samsung!

I have just retired and I'm going to take a class in photography at the local community college. I have a DSLR and to me what was lacking in the smartphone cameras was an optical zoom. I see that the iPhone 7 plus and 8 plus as well as the Note 8 have dual rear cameras that gives one depth of field. So I'm off to go and bug AT&T. I don't think they will sell a phone for new unlocked phone for prepaid service. As I travel overseas the phone has to be GSM and unlocked. I think that in the past Verizon only sold CDMA phones that could not be used overseas.

Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:19 pm

If you travel overseas quite a bit, you may want to check out T Mobile. They have free data usage in most other countries and minimal phone call charges. Their phones (most of them, anyway) have wifi calling capability, which is great overseas. I have an LG G6 with a T Mobile unlocked phone. Free Pandora streaming, too, with no data charged. Love it!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:55 pm

I am still on my Note 3. I too bought it for a bigger screen. Have the Otterbox case and have dropped it many times and no breakage (I'm not hard on phones though like some are)

Once the Note 8 is no longer the latest model (and is substantially reduced in price or 'free') I'll upgrade.

Going to see what Black Friday brings.....am looking hard at TMobile esp if they have a phone deal this Holiday Season.

No interest whatsoever in an Apple product. Being tied into Google, Droid makes more sense.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Lynette wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm
I have just retired and I'm going to take a class in photography at the local community college. I have a DSLR and to me what was lacking in the smartphone cameras was an optical zoom. I see that the iPhone 7 plus and 8 plus as well as the Note 8 have dual rear cameras that gives one depth of field. So I'm off to go and bug AT&T. I don't think they will sell a phone for new unlocked phone for prepaid service. As I travel overseas the phone has to be GSM and unlocked. I think that in the past Verizon only sold CDMA phones that could not be used overseas.
It's not as big of a pain to unlock phones these days. You can unlock AT&T phones once you have paid them off, or if you buy them by paying in full. I can't recall if the payment has to clear if you buy it outright before they'll unlock it. But it's relatively easy to do and doesn't require a trip to the store. There's a link for it on their website once you've logged in to your account.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 pm
Lynette wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm
It's not as big of a pain to unlock phones these days. You can unlock AT&T phones once you have paid them off, or if you buy them by paying in full. I can't recall if the payment has to clear if you buy it outright before they'll unlock it. But it's relatively easy to do and doesn't require a trip to the store. There's a link for it on their website once you've logged in to your account.
:D :D Maybe. I've unlocked about 4 phones. Sometimes it works easily, sometimes not and I've had the phone support suggest various things to try, new unlock numbers etc. etc. Several hours later, I took it to the "Phone Doctor" across the road and had it unlocked for about $100.

AT&T sells their own series of unlocked phones for prepaid but not the ones I wanted. They would sell me the phones I wanted on a plan and then if I paid in full, I could unlock them .......! In any event they did not have the phones I wanted in stock. So off to Best Buy. They had the iPhone 7 plus and iPhone 8 plus in stock as well as the Note 8 but not the iPhone X. A lady told me that I could manually change the F stop of one of the cameras as well as the ISO. So now I am the owner of a Note 8 - $949 plus sales tax. Tomorrow I'll take it to AR&T to put in the Sim for me. I pay $40 a month as I do auto pay. Otherwise it is $45 a month. I get unlimited text and phone as well as 6GB of data that I have never exceeded. I think it is worth this so that I can take my phone into AT&T, look helpless and they insert the SIM etc for me.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm

I purchased the S8 from Walmart about 7 months ago.
I use it in conjunction with Straight Talk Service which I have used for years.
The phone is outstanding. :happy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /353904048
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Just got a Note 8 to replace my Note 5. It's great so far. Battery life is just ok. Best part is I got it for free. Well, actually better than free! T Mobile had a promotion in my area where you get $750 towards a new phone when you start new service switching from another carrier. On top of that, Samsung Rewards gave $200 for the purchase of a Note 8. So $950 in rebates! And Note 8 was on sale for $820! I've been smiling for days 😁😁😁

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Lynette wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:20 pm
AT&T sells their own series of unlocked phones for prepaid but not the ones I wanted. They would sell me the phones I wanted on a plan and then if I paid in full, I could unlock them .......! In any event they did not have the phones I wanted in stock.
Just as an FYI for the future, there really is no such thing as a "contract phone" with AT&T anymore, where you get a discount on the phone for signing up for a 1-year or 2-year contract. They got rid of contract phones a while back. Now, you can either buy outright or sign up for a 20 to 30 month payment plan called AT&T Next. But both options have you paying the full MSRP, unless you catch something on sale.

Technically speaking, they don't even need to have the GoPhones, as there's no conceptual difference on the device prices anymore. But I suppose from a marketing standpoint, people like to get a phone and pay-as-you-go SIM all in the same box. Another marketing point is to put the cheaper models into the GoPhone range and leave the more expensive models for monthly plan customers.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks. I think we are in agreement. I know that there is a such thing as a discount on a phone via a contract anymore. It seems that I could not buy an unlocked phone I wanted from AT&T. I could get it unlocked after paying the full purchase price but I wanted to avoid this. I think that they have changed the name from Gophone to prepaid:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... /KM1216661

I did not investigate paying for the phone on a monthly basis. I don't know what the interest rate is of if there is one. I prefer to own the phone and to only pay the monthly charge. Then if I go overseas for an extended period, this gives me greater freedom. I also have AT&T internet and VOIP phone and see no real reason to change.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Lynette wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:28 pm
I did not investigate paying for the phone on a monthly basis. I don't know what the interest rate is of if there is one. I prefer to own the phone and to only pay the monthly charge.
There's no interest rate for the AT&T Next payment plans. My now dead LG V10 was on such a plan and I looked closely at that when getting it two years ago. I paid outright for my S8+ though, as it was only $25 to get it unlocked from Best Buy than to get it locked through AT&T Next. I also had an initial spend on a new rewards card that I needed to meet.

Edit: The unlocked S8+ was only $25 MORE than the AT&T locked S8+. I wanted to clarify that upon re-reading my words just now.
Last edited by Mudpuppy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:40 pm

The Note 8 seems to be a considerable improvement on the Note 4 and the Note 5 I lost. Samsung has likely incorporated the improvements from its other products a the Note series died with the infamous Note 7 battery problem.

The Note 8 is longer than my Note 4/5. In addition it seems to have far less bloatware. I'm a bit humbled as I have quite a lot to learn to be able to use some of the features. I'm pleased to have a stylus - better for typing than using my fat fingers. I will need to explore the cameras more fully. It seems that the two rear cameras are designed for a wide-angle lens with a f/1.7 aperture and the telephoto lens features a f/2.4 aperture that supports a 2X zoom. I'll have to figure out how this works.

So far, I'm really pleased though it's a hefty price and nearly as expensive as the iPhone X.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 am

I'm going to check my local T-Mobile for the deal found by snuffycuffs. I definitely want a note 8, just waiting for the right deal.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 am

Got my Note 8 for half price and a week before launch because I had owned the Note 7, which I still regret having to give up--it was THAT good. I actually considered importing a Note Fan Edition (Refurb Note 7 with smaller battery), but $900 for a year-old flagship with a crippled battery was too rich for my blood. Here's the review I posted on another site:

I'm beyond thrilled, and in a couple of areas I wasn't necessarily expecting to be. I'm coming from an LG V20, which I like quite well, but not nearly as much as the Note 7 it replaced (RIP )

The good:
  • Phone itself is just gorgeous. Nowhere near as striking as the Coral Blue Note 7, but for a black slab it's attractive from all angles.
  • Feels very good in the hand. It's probably on the heavy side, but the mass is evenly distributed, and just feels "right".
  • Skinny/tall formfactor is easier to handle than the fatter/shorter formfactor of the V20. Very noticeable
  • Once Google Now launcher is installed, TouchWiz is just a very light skinning in the settings menu primarily.
  • Iris and Fingerprint scanners are blazingly fast, and false negatives are minimal. Haven't tested for false positives.
  • Oh god that screen. In less than a year, I had forgotten how glorious Super AMOLED screens were. Good to be back, definitely the most gorgeous display I've seen on a mobile device, full stop.
  • 18.5:1 ratio is awesome for reading content
  • Battery life is outstanding--more on this later
  • Back to wireless charging! Single feature I missed most on the V20
  • Everything is amazingly fast--not surprising on a brand new flagship, but worth noting anyway.
  • Stylus works incredibly well, as would be expected.
  • Samsung "accidentally" sent me a 256GB Micro SD instead of the 128GB they promised.
  • Headphone jack!
The Bad:
  • The position of the fingerprint sensor is just asinine, and training it is an exercise in frustration. The payoff, however, is that it works flawlessly in actual use.
  • The "hard press" of the virtual home button is very natural. Unfortunately, you then still have to swipe to dismiss the lock screen. I find myself unlocking with the fingerprint scanner instead, because it's WAY faster.
  • Rear glass surface is pretty slippery. I often use Waze and just leave my phone on my leg while I drive. Not possible with an un-cased Note 8. Easily
  • corrected with the Alcantara case (which is VERY nice).
  • Touchscreen is a little TOO accurate--to the point that in doing certain operations, it's very difficult to perform a select (tap) vs. a move (swipe). For example, when playing PvZ2, tapping on a plant and then on the place you want to put it is successful maybe 25% of the time. I've had to change to dragging, using the stylus.
  • Some apps look really silly stretched out all the way to 18.5:9, and others are windowboxed.
  • The curved edges are more intrusive than I remember with the Note 7, and negatively impact both touch operation at the edge, along with cutting off text in some apps.
  • Headphone jack sounds great, but not nearly as good as the Quad DAC in the V70
  • As is typical for Samsung phones, bluetooth is weaker than I'd like. Headphones cut out more frequently when my phone is in my pocket compared to the V20, but about the same as the Note 7.
  • I think the second screen on the V20 is actually a bit more useful than the always-on display of the Samsung line.
  • Though it gets better each year, the state of Android backup/restore is still deplorable. I literally spent an entire day transferring what I could using a combination of Google's backup/restore, Samsung SmartSwitch, and Helium Premium, along with some manual digging into the file system. Then still had to spend another 5+ hours manually logging into and re-configuring apps. Contrast this with the recent replacement of my iPad Air with a 10.5" Pro. After the one-click restore, I had THE SAME iPad, with newer hardware. All my wifi networks, account logins, configurations, data, everything was exactly the same on both devices.
  • The only way to move an Android Wear device to a new "host" phone is to do a full factory reset and rebuild it from scratch. Horrible.
The negatives are mostly nitpicky, with the last two relating to the Android platform rather than the specific device. About the battery life: I'm amazed at how slowly this thing discharges, especially when doing things that are historically high-drain like playing games. On my V20, a simple game of solitaire or PvZ2 would deplete the battery at roughly 3-4% per 10 minutes. On the Note 8, games don't appear to be any greater draw than any other screen-on activity like reading emails. I typically charge at my desk (super-easy given the wireless charging), but today avoided any topping up and abused the battery as much as I could. Since taking it off the charger at 5am this morning, I've done:
  • 2 hrs of screen-on GPS with Waze
  • 1.5 hrs of listening to audiobooks, half wired, half bluetooth
  • Probably an hour going through and responding to emails
  • An hour or so of games
  • An hour of GPS (screen off) tracking a bike ride
  • 45 minutes or so of reading articles and webpages
  • Very small amount of video
  • Checking and responding to notifications throughout the day
It's now 8pm (15 hours), and I'm at 33%. On any previous day, the lowest I've seen it when dropping on the charger at night was 54%, and it was usually a good bit more than that. I think I could probably go 10 hours of constant screen-on use with this thing on a charge, and can't envision a situation in which I'd be unable to make it through a full day of even heavy use. The Battery manager says that I could get an additional 24.5 hours of runtime (from right now) in the Max power saving mode, the settings of which (brightness -10%, resolution HD+, speed limited, no background network, no always on display) don't sound horrendous. I'll put it to the test at the end of this month when I'll be at a convention, whose scheduling app has historically been absolute murder on battery life.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 am

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 am
Got my Note 8 for half price and a week before launch because I had owned the Note 7, which I still regret having to give up--it was THAT good. I actually considered importing a Note Fan Edition (Refurb Note 7 with smaller battery), but $900 for a year-old flagship with a crippled battery was too rich for my blood. Here's the review I posted on another site:

I'm beyond thrilled, and in a couple of areas I wasn't necessarily expecting to be. I'm coming from an LG V20, which I like quite well, but not nearly as much as the Note 7 it replaced (RIP )
Thank you. To save Boglehead's space, I removed some of the content of your post. I'll have to reread and learn a lot from your thread. I know that even on my Note 5, there was a Pro Mode that allowed me to use many of the same features of my DSLR in manual mode. I'm thrilled with the dual rear cameras. No hard home key!

I wanted to ask what type of case you bought. I have often bought Otterbox but the ones I got were really thick. Thanks,

Lynette

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 am

Snuffycuts99 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:31 pm
Just got a Note 8 to replace my Note 5. It's great so far. Battery life is just ok. Best part is I got it for free. Well, actually better than free! T Mobile had a promotion in my area where you get $750 towards a new phone when you start new service switching from another carrier. On top of that, Samsung Rewards gave $200 for the purchase of a Note 8. So $950 in rebates! And Note 8 was on sale for $820! I've been smiling for days 😁😁😁
I think that there will likely be more promotions available as Samsung is trying to win back its Note base that it lost with the Note 7 battery disaster. AT&T were sold out of both the Note 8 and iPhone X. They said the Note 8 only became available to them last week. Best Buy told me that they are selling a lot of Note 8's.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:03 am

Toons wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm
I purchased the S8 from Walmart about 7 months ago.
I use it in conjunction with Straight Talk Service which I have used for years.
The phone is outstanding. :happy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /353904048
Thanks - I don't think the S8 has the dual cameras that the Note 8 has. Now I'm going to have to learn how to use the cameras. :D

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 am

Lynette wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:47 am
Thanks Ron. I've decided to go with the iPhone 7 plus. I used to buy phones and give the old ones to family members. Some time in the past I had the latest models of the Samsung Note and iPhone plus. I would run both and the Samsung phone always drained the battery faster. I know that test show they are often comparable. The difference was the Samsung bloatware. Its a pain to constantly disable the bloatware simply to have it re-activated when an upgrade is required. So I guess that this is the end of Samsung phones for me. I'm not so impressed with the upgrades of the iPhone X - plus all of the other accessories and insurance one has to buy.
Lynette...... I've been using a Galaxy S7 Edge ... after an S5 and perhaps I'm just phone ignorant but what "bloatware" are you referring too? I use it mainly for trip photos with Samsung's 2 lens kit (16mm 26mm native and 52mm) and have a 256 gb micro card in it with over 6000 tunes and 6000 pics and it runs like a rocket and takes pics that has me leave my mirrorless DSLR on the cruise ship.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 am

The Note 4 I got from Ebay had about 35 Apps running. I could not uninstall them. I could disable them but had to do this each time there was a major upgrade. The Note 8 seems to be a major improvement in this area. I was able to uninstall one app. Some others seem to be hidden and are not activated. I've ordered a new battery for the Note 4 and may use this one overseas as it is unlocked. I think Samsung has vastly improved this recently.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 am

Lynette wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 am
Thank you. To save Boglehead's space, I removed some of the content of your post. I'll have to reread and learn a lot from your thread. I know that even on my Note 5, there was a Pro Mode that allowed me to use many of the same features of my DSLR in manual mode. I'm thrilled with the dual rear cameras. No hard home key!

I wanted to ask what type of case you bought. I have often bought Otterbox but the ones I got were really thick. Thanks,
They've done a great job with the virtual home button. It was there on my V20 also, but the haptic feedback on the Note 8 really makes it feel like you're actually pressing a physical button underneath the glass.

I'm not a case person--Note3, 5, and 7 were all used naked, as was my V20--at least until I gave it to my 10-year-old, at which point I put a UAG (Urban Armor Gear) case on it to protect it from him. But the Note 8 was just a touch slippery for my taste, so I put it in the Samsung Alcantara Case, which I love. Makes it more secure in the hand without adding significant bulk, feels high-end, and lets it sit stably on my leg when I'm driving and using Waze--it would slide off constantly when case-less.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 am

Ron wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 pm
knick17 wrote:
Not according to all the (young) guys standing in line this week to get the newest I-Phone :twisted: ...

I myself am running a Samsung J7 which I bought last year for around $275 (x2 - one for my wife). It does what I need, running MS software (Excel, Word, Outlook, Calendar, etc.) along with having a multitude of Android apps that were not supported by my two previous Windows Phones.

Heck, even Bill Gates runs an Android OS - using MS software of course :mrgreen: ...

- Ron
The same here, samsung J7 with T-Mobile added a $6 32Gig sd card for extra storage.
It works great and takes nice pictures and video. I am not a gamer and I have only a couple of apps.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 am

It's worth the extra bucks when I go to my digital photographic class at the community college next year to be able to show off my new phone camera to the kids :D They likely know more about photography than I do but won't have the fancy phone I have. Seriously I bought it for the cameras.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 am

Lynette wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 am
I've got my S8+ in a case model called Neo Hybrid by the company Spigen. It's a thin case with a textured back to provide better grip than the glass back. It has already protected my S8+ from one tumble (although it was a rather gentle tumble, so not really stress-testing the protective qualities of the case). I liked the look better than Spigen's other thin cases, with the rim of plastic providing a contrasting color. They make the Neo Hybrid for the Note 8 as well. MSRP is $35, but you can find them for around $15 on Amazon quite easily: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Herringbo ... B073RWTZ5V

I also bought a Ringke Flex S case and I really liked the look of the case. The case is also a little more rigid than the Spigen case. But I don't use it because I just don't like the feel of the faux-leather back. Here's the Amazon link for that case for the Note 8 as well: https://www.amazon.com/Ringke-Advanced- ... B074GXWS4S (leather colors) and https://www.amazon.com/Ringke-Advanced- ... B0756CJL92 (metal colors)

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks for the information on the case. I went to AT&T to get a new sim. I know that they overcharge on their screen protectors and cases but they do the installation for me. I can never seem to get the screen protector to align properly. I'm really hard on my phones - must learn not to put in my handbag and throw it on the floor when I open the door with my hands are full of packages. I got a screen protector and Otterbox Defender case. It makes the phone look quite bulky but hopefully this will protect it from my carelessness. I also got another 128 GB micro card the kind gentleman at AT&T installed them for me. I don't plan to get any more accessories but including sales tax, the phone has cost me about $1,150. Well .. I worked for 50+ years and I'll soon be 74 - so this is my one luxury this year - well except for fixing up my house.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 am

Lynette wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm
Thanks for the information on the case. I went to AT&T to get a new sim. I know that they overcharge on their screen protectors and cases but they do the installation for me. I can never seem to get the screen protector to align properly. I'm really hard on my phones - must learn not to put in my handbag and throw it on the floor when I open the door with my hands are full of packages. I got a screen protector and Otterbox Defender case. It makes the phone look quite bulky but hopefully this will protect it from my carelessness. I also got another 128 GB micro card the kind gentleman at AT&T installed them for me. I don't plan to get any more accessories but including sales tax, the phone has cost me about $1,150. Well .. I worked for 50+ years and I'll soon be 74 - so this is my one luxury this year - well except for fixing up my house.
Wow! The flagship models certainly are spendy :wink:

I always use a beefy case as well, I have UAG. I tell myself I'll never drop the phone - until I do.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am

I think that the Pixel 2XL, Note 8 and iPhone 8 and iPhone X are all great phones. I've had iPhones and Samsung Notes - give old ones to relatives overseas. I tend to think that the iPhones are easier to use - more user friendly - but the Notes have more opportunity for customization.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Ron wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 pm
knick17 wrote:

- Ron
As much as I try to consider myself a "young" fella at 30yrs old, I realize I am really not! My generation can not really grasp all this enthusiasm with phones and stuff, as we did not grow up with it...I went to Uni buying a "new" Nokia, exactly like a 3310 but with color screen! so,,,

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 am

Lynette wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 am
The Note 4 I got from Ebay had about 35 Apps running. I could not uninstall them. I could disable them but had to do this each time there was a major upgrade. The Note 8 seems to be a major improvement in this area. I was able to uninstall one app. Some others seem to be hidden and are not activated. I've ordered a new battery for the Note 4 and may use this one overseas as it is unlocked. I think Samsung has vastly improved this recently.
Important to turn off the data that runs in the background on those apps, even when you are not using data.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 am

Possibly - get around to it. I ordered a new battery for it from Amazon - total junk - would not hold a charge. I've ordered a new battery - I'll see if this one works.

I've read comparisons between the iPhone X camera and the Note 8. It's a close tie. But I do not think you can save a photo as RAW with the iPhone X. You have to use a App. I also think that there is more opportunity for customization with the Note 8 as there is a mode called Pro that allows you to set the ISO, White Balance etc. I need to be able to do this for my photography class at the community college. Realistically I cannot see much difference between the photos that I saved as RAW, manipulated with Photoshop Elements and the ones taken in Auto Mode. In addition, one can expand the storage by simply taking out the micro card. iPhones do not have as much opportunity for customization but I think that they are easier to use. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase of the Note 8.