Got an iPhoneX

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
angelescrest

Re: Got an iPhoneX

Post by angelescrest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm
angelescrest wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am
I will probably keep it. I'm getting used to it. I like everything about it, except I miss the half inch (or so) of screen width. It's still harder to read on vs my old 7Plus. That being said, it's easier, because it's physically smaller, to flip into landscape mode...so I'm reading that way, which I did not do on my old Plus. Face recognition and "flicking" are great. I'm still convinced that Apple will, next year or sooner, come out with an "X PLUS" and rehype the whole marketing circus again. But hey, that's how capitalism works! And ya know what? I'm the sucker who will buy that too, at an outrageous price, and one of my kids will get another near-new phone!
Half an inch? I thought the measurements were a LOT less than that in width. LIke .15 of an inch less or so?
Perhaps you are right. Regardless of the number it's noticeable.
In the study of design and composition there are known illusions, particularly in areas such as vertical-horizontal linear relationships. I think that’s in part what’s going on here. Indeed, it is marginally narrower, but it will appear all the more narrow because of the visual lengthening of the product.

One of the things that I wonder, though, is what part of the “screen”Apple actually counts in its measurements. It’s interesting how Apple hasn’t followed Samsung Galaxy phones in designing all the way up to the edge of the screen, which looks fantastic though in operating particularly with one hand I’ve had some problems with. So when they measure the screen, is it the glass, or just to the edge of the pixels? I’m assuming the latter.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 pm
knick17 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm
Everyone talk for months about this phones, stay up at night to order It online, line up at the shop, spend $1000, end then....It's just a phone, it does not change your life....I really don't get it!
Whoa there cowboy... that's crazy talk. How could you possibly live a complete life without a smart phone? Assimilate or prepare to be ridiculed.
hold on...nothing to say about smartphones. I have an amazing Samsung J2 prime, $90...works perfect, looks classy, 8GB storage is a pain in the butt, but I live happily with that. but $1000??? order online, stay up at night to see the streaming of the presentation, stay in line for 10hrs AND then....it's just a phone!....that is a bit silly to me. all due respect

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 am
knick17 wrote:
Everyone talk for months about this phones, stay up at night to order It online, line up at the shop, spend $1000, end then....It's just a phone, it does not change your life....I really don't get it!
A lot of people use their phones for hours every day. It actually is a bit transformative to have a new phone if you are such a heavy user.

I admit to waking up to order it, but I simply set an alarm for 5 minutes before orders open and went back to sleep 15 minutes later. It was fairly painless. The cost was not all that significant to me, especially compared to the cost of the service, which is substantially more than the phone regardless of whether you have a $100 Chinese Android unit or a $1,000 iphone X. It was worth paying a bit more for a better experience.

This is a very cool response. Appreciate. Sure the money is not in my realm, and as much as I "enjoy" a new phone, I would never be a geek in technology. With that said, hey, if you like and enjoy new technology and phones, can afford it, not bother with waking up or stay in line...well done!

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 pm

The anticipation is half the fun. Reading the leaks and speculation. Watching the keynote. Getting excited about preorder day. I've stood in line before (morning of, not overnight), and the excitement is palpable. Even though I woke up at 3 a.m. to preorder this year (that took all of 15 minutes, then I went back to sleep), I still got to my 8 a.m. time window an hour early on launch day just to join in the excitement with everyone else. Then you get the phone, play around with it for a couple of weeks, discover things you didn't expect. But even after the novelty has worn off, I have good memories from the lead-up and look forward to the next round. It's all fun. And if you're not breaking the bank to do it, what's the harm in getting excited about a new gadget from your favorite gadget company?

That said, I hope you enjoy your phone as well!

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm

knick17 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 pm
Tycoon wrote:
knick17 wrote:
Whoa there cowboy... that's crazy talk. How could you possibly live a complete life without a smart phone? Assimilate or prepare to be ridiculed.
hold on...nothing to say about smartphones. I have an amazing Samsung J2 prime, $90...works perfect, looks classy, 8GB storage is a pain in the butt, but I live happily with that. but $1000??? order online, stay up at night to see the streaming of the presentation, stay in line for 10hrs AND then....it's just a phone!....that is a bit silly to me. all due respect
It was an attempt at humor. I agree with your original thought.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm

knick17 wrote:
Here is humorous look at how smart phones have change people's lives:
http://ukrainianweek.com/Gallery/62993/2#gallery
This cartoon was by David Horsey in the LA Times.
Best Wishes, | Joe

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm
knick17 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 pm
Tycoon wrote:
knick17 wrote:
It was an attempt at humor. I agree with your original thought.
fair enough. sorry I didn't get the humour.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm
knick17 wrote:
Here is humorous look at how smart phones have change people's lives:
http://ukrainianweek.com/Gallery/62993/2#gallery
This cartoon was by David Horsey in the LA Times.
haha. we lookd better as apes!