Got an iPhoneX

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
knick17

Re: Got an iPhoneX

Post by knick17 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Everyone talk for months about this phones, stay up at night to order It online, line up at the shop, spend $1000, end then....It's just a phone, it does not change your life....I really don't get it!

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm
Hard to believe, but the local Apple store had plenty of iPhoneX's, so I bought one and cancelled my online order. Frankly I'm a bit disappointed. I swear this screen is smaller than my old iPhone 7Plus. I even did a "room lights off" comparison and it's clear that the X has a narrower screen. What's with that? Is this just a set up to come out with an XPlus in a year or less (yeah, I know...there's ALWAYS something new)? The phone just feels chintzy compared to the substantial feel of the old Plus. Also, it sounds like the speakers on the old phone...both the "play music on my table" speakers and the "phone call voice to my ear" speaker sounds better on the old phone. Or am I imagining it? Bottom line is that this feels like a downgrade from a PLUS phone to a "regular", albeit new version iPhone, being sold under the guise as "better than Plus", temporarily until they have a real XPlus. Then they'll quietly forget that they used to sell it as "better than old Plus". Also you have to dig to find out the battery percentage. I REALLY dislike THAT. I'll hang on for a while but might take it back for an iPhone 8Plus.

Any other early users? All the reviews were glowing. Is there something wrong with me?
since this is the greatest ever per Apple, then you must be doing something wrong (also per Apple).

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 pm

I've been thinking about upgrading my 10+ year old Motorolla Flip Phone with an X. I figure I've saved probably 5 grand compared to most techies, so I can probably afford it. The problem is, my flip phone still works great as a phone. I charge the battery once a week. It even has a real keyboard. Having said that, I do kind of feel left out when my entire family is looking down at their phones. No idea what they are looking at. Their thumbs move a lot too.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Lol anyone who still has a flip phone these days has it just to be different. One of my good friends was a flip-phone snob until he recently left it in the airport bathroom (he thinks...no find my iPhone!). He was crushed because he finally had to give in to consumerism. But even he has to admit that his life is better with GPS and the internet in his pocket...

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm

angelescrest wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 am
bostondan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 am
In the second year of ownership I rely on Amex extended warranty. It has worked extremely well the one time the battery gave out. Amex refunded the entire price of the phone. I don’t really understand why they did that, but I didn’t complain.
I bought with an AmEx, how does this work?
There are a lot of cards out there with extended warranties built in- check your card terms. If you're outside of the original warranty, the card will reimburse you (how much outside of the original warranty depends on the card you used and its terms- Citi cards typically add 2 years, Amex 1, etc). It's worth noting, though, that it's not going to give you accidental damage protection. If you're purchasing Applecare or Squaretrade for the repair protection, you still might want to do that; if you're purchasing it to add to the original warranty, you can likely skip it.

@BostonDan- Amex probably has a deal with its insurer- they don't insure these things themselves. Probably less work for them to just reimburse the whole thing rather than dealing with repair estimates- that makes for things like cars, but given the number of people who use the warranty and the relative price on iphone repairs or even original iphones as opposed to a car or homeowner's claim, it might not be worth dealing with the hassle.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:41 pm

The whole iPhone thing, including Apple care, is hugely expensive. But not necessarily a poor value. For folks like me who are always using their product, it's just the cost of doing business. And frankly, even at $1500-$1800 per year, it's a great value in terms of dollars spent for time used and utility provided. Versus like auto ownership or travel etc. Apple (like Microsoft) is a love-hate relationship. But I pay the juice vs fooling around with Square Trade or Amex. I wanna go to the store and just say "FIX IT"
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 pm

knick17 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm
Everyone talk for months about this phones, stay up at night to order It online, line up at the shop, spend $1000, end then....It's just a phone, it does not change your life....I really don't get it!
Whoa there cowboy... that's crazy talk. How could you possibly live a complete life without a smart phone? Assimilate or prepare to be ridiculed.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm

I keep my phones 4 years or so. I have a 5S and I might go for the X since I’ll have it 4 years.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:30 pm

masteraleph wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm
angelescrest wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 am
bostondan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 am
In the second year of ownership I rely on Amex extended warranty. It has worked extremely well the one time the battery gave out. Amex refunded the entire price of the phone. I don’t really understand why they did that, but I didn’t complain.
I bought with an AmEx, how does this work?
There are a lot of cards out there with extended warranties built in- check your card terms. If you're outside of the original warranty, the card will reimburse you (how much outside of the original warranty depends on the card you used and its terms- Citi cards typically add 2 years, Amex 1, etc). It's worth noting, though, that it's not going to give you accidental damage protection. If you're purchasing Applecare or Squaretrade for the repair protection, you still might want to do that; if you're purchasing it to add to the original warranty, you can likely skip it.

@BostonDan- Amex probably has a deal with its insurer- they don't insure these things themselves. Probably less work for them to just reimburse the whole thing rather than dealing with repair estimates- that makes for things like cars, but given the number of people who use the warranty and the relative price on iphone repairs or even original iphones as opposed to a car or homeowner's claim, it might not be worth dealing with the hassle.
Interesting point. I never thought about the fact that it might be cheaper to just pay the entire thing than to figure out repair estimates.

Last time I called to let them know about a broken iPhone and they asked me to bring it to the store to get it fixed and then send them the receipt. Before I even had a chance to bring the phone in, maybe two or three days after the call, they had already refunded the cost of the iPhone and closed the case.

My BofA Visa also says it extends the warranty, but I haven't tried it. Amex has such better customer service so I only buy expensive items requiring warranty extension using that, even if I would get better cash back with a different card for a given situation. I find that Amex is more willing to bend the rules if it seems reasonable, while Visa and MasterCard sticks strictly to what the rules say, even if it seems like a reasonable situation to bend them slightly.

Has anybody tried a non-Amex extended warranty?
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 am

I’ve got a 5-year-old iPhone 5. The earpiece stopped working a few months back so I have to use speakerphone or earbuds to make a phone call. The iPhone X is definitely extravagant but I’m expecting it to arrive in the mail tomorrow. I’ll probably keep it 4-5 years as well. I know it would make more sense to get a slightly off-cycle phone and keep that for five years, but I’m looking at this as a little bit of a reward for putting up with an old and failing phone for so long. After all, the phone is a pretty central part of both my home and work lives (especially work).

Cash

Post by Cash » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 am
I’ve got a 5-year-old iPhone 5. The earpiece stopped working a few months back so I have to use speakerphone or earbuds to make a phone call. The iPhone X is definitely extravagant but I’m expecting it to arrive in the mail tomorrow. I’ll probably keep it 4-5 years as well. I know it would make more sense to get a slightly off-cycle phone and keep that for five years, but I’m looking at this as a little bit of a reward for putting up with an old and failing phone for so long. After all, the phone is a pretty central part of both my home and work lives (especially work).
Since you skipped the 6/7/8 screen size, you're definitely going to notice a difference. Speed too. The X does everything noticeably faster than my old 6, which was markedly better than my old 5.

I just picked up my work iPhone 7 after using my X exclusively all weekend. It definitely felt like a step back in terms of how I interact with my device. Physically pressing a button to go to the home screen (flicking screens away really is a better way to do it), the big black bars at the top and bottom, the smaller screen size, no tap to wake, plugging it in to charge, placing my finger in a particular place to open it, etc.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 am

knick17 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm
A lot of people use their phones for hours every day. It actually is a bit transformative to have a new phone if you are such a heavy user.

I admit to waking up to order it, but I simply set an alarm for 5 minutes before orders open and went back to sleep 15 minutes later. It was fairly painless. The cost was not all that significant to me, especially compared to the cost of the service, which is substantially more than the phone regardless of whether you have a $100 Chinese Android unit or a $1,000 iphone X. It was worth paying a bit more for a better experience.

Brokepilot

Post by Brokepilot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am

I just can not justify $1000 for a phone. Heck I can not justify the IPhone 8 or 8 plus for the cost. Why?

Because my iPhone 5 does everything a smartphone needs to.
Phone calls... Check
Texting... Check
Emails... Check
Web surfing... Check
Youtube... Check
FaceTime... Check
Calendar... Check

That is what I need a phone to do My old one works and I could replace the battery for cheap to keep it going. A new phone only offer better performance and a camera. Performance is about perspective and Im used to the speed of the iphone 5. The camera is ok if I am in a pinch, but when I travel I bring my big camera.

I don't have disposable income and I don't understand how others can afford to buy these devices every year or two.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am

Cash wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm
Lol anyone who still has a flip phone these days has it just to be different. One of my good friends was a flip-phone snob until he recently left it in the airport bathroom (he thinks...no find my iPhone!). He was crushed because he finally had to give in to consumerism. But even he has to admit that his life is better with GPS and the internet in his pocket...
I do not have a flip phone, I have an employer-subsidized smartphone and it is pretty integral tool for my job, but I can't agree with this. Is life "better" with constant connectivity? Technically, having the opportunity to access the internet and GPS by simply digging in your pocket is absolutely a good thing, but for the majority of people, I'd argue that in reality the effect is quite the opposite. Recent research has directly connected the time people spend with their smartphones to negative outcomes in regards to almost every metric of health, increased risk for emotional/psychology issues, lack of production at work, etc.

It's amazing technology, which offers amazing opportunity, but of course humans screw it all up by getting literally addicted. You want to talk about something that has improved quality of life: earlier this year we made a household rule that the phones go in a basket at the front door when we enter the home (this includes guests). It has actually angered some of our guests, but if that is the case, I don't feel too bad that they don't want to come visit again.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 am

You raise a bigger question: with all of the improved standard of living devices, are we any happier? And if not, why not?

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am

Brokepilot wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am
A new phone only offer better performance and a camera. Performance is about perspective and Im used to the speed of the iphone 5. The camera is ok if I am in a pinch, but when I travel I bring my big camera.

In some ways, the camera on the iPhone 5 is actually better than the newer ones. Starting with the iPhone 6 and going forward, Apple changed their JPEG algorithm and greatly increased the amount of noise reduction applied to photos. If you look closely at pictures taken with the newer iPhones, they look like watercolor paintings. All the detail is gone and replaced with smeared pixels (especially noticeable in people's faces). It's a software problem and can either be fixed by Apple if they wanted to, or can be bypassed by shooting RAW and processing the photos yourselves, but it was nice when everything was automatic without the need for third party apps.

Brokepilot

Post by Brokepilot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 am
You raise a bigger question: with all of the improved standard of living devices, are we any happier? And if not, why not?
I like smarts photos for the three reasons.

1) Directions
2) Communication in an emergency.
3) Price checking before I buy in a store.

Otherwise they sucks. People hide behind them instead of socializing and I no longer have a place to hide as everyone (work and wife) knows I have this device on me and If I ignore it there are ramifications.

It is a ball and chain.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 am
You can ask this question about every technological advance. Are we really so much happier than our ancestors who lived without running water or electricity?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 am

It's a software problem and can either be fixed by Apple if they wanted to, or can be bypassed by shooting RAW and processing the photos yourselves, but it was nice when everything was automatic without the need for third party apps.
I didn’t realize shooting RAW was an option. Interested. Do you have a link to explain the process and software required?

ETA: I see it’s not supported on my 6, but will be on my next phone

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:25 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:23 am
F150HD wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 am
squirm wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 pm
Why congratulations on buying a phone? Hey, i expect that if one becomes a dad or mom, but buying a phone? No heroic act was performed.
lol. For $1000 I'll pass.

Of course you can thank the OP for putting $$ into your pocket for pushing Apple and the S&P 500 up higher (thus VTSAX and VTI up as well), I'm guessing that benefits many here.
I’m embarrassed to tell you that with tax, AppleCare ands case, I spent almost $1500 :o
Nothing embarrassing about having $1,500 of discretionary income you can put towards something you want. This isn't the MMM forum.
Exactly. I've known for over a month what my bill would set me back. The only uncertainty I have is what the case will cost.

I have an iPhone 5. I'm waiting to get the X for a little while to make sure I don't read about anything that will possibly give me an "ah ha!" moment to regret the purchase. (I'm not saying there's anything out there objectively wrong with the phone, but my preferences may be swayed one way or another by someone else's investigations.)

I'm intrigued by this thread, but nothing anyone said has changed my mind. I think it will be mildly life-altering. I've been married, had 2 babies, lost 2 babies, been unemployed, been very sick, seen a sunrise and sunset on a beach, been on a pilgrimage: this won't compare to those experiences, but my phone has become an integral part of my daily life. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade! (I'll probably cringe a bit when I pay the CC bill, then move on. :-)

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 am
It's a software problem and can either be fixed by Apple if they wanted to, or can be bypassed by shooting RAW and processing the photos yourselves, but it was nice when everything was automatic without the need for third party apps.
I didn’t realize shooting RAW was an option. Interested. Do you have a link to explain the process and software required?

ETA: I see it’s not supported on my 6, but will be on my next phone
RAW is only supported on the 6S and newer phones. It makes a world of difference in the pictures.

Apple unfortunately will not let you shoot RAW with the native camera app. I use the Lightroom app (free) to shoot RAW, then covert the file to a JPEG which saves to the camera roll.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Brokepilot wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 am

I don't have disposable income and I don't understand how others can afford to buy these devices every year or two.
Keep in mind the "old" phone has value. We haven't put the old ones up for sale yet, but it looks like we can get between $500-$550 for them.

I had no intention of upgrading from a 6s to a 7s last year, but there was some kind of offer (I can't even remember where now) in which the new phone would cost me the exact same price as the old phone in total. I couldn't find a reason NOT to get the 7s.

In an earlier thread on bogleheads, someone was considering a $10k sofa and I was all :shock: . But we all spend our $$ on things we like. To each his own.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I am happy to read the posts about those buying an iPhoneX. Seriously. My Apple stock is a-popping, and hopefully the iPhoneX will enjoy robust sales for a couple of quarters from now. I would love to see a doubling of my buy in January 2016 @ $93.55.

Wife and I have Samsung Galaxy S5 phones, still working just fine. After looking around for replacements, instead we are getting new screens and one charging port for around $200. If they die soon, I see new Samsung Galaxy S6s online, unlocked for less than $300.

Meanwhile my Samsung Galaxy S3 is humming along repurposed as an MP3 player.

I totally get the allure of tech, I have a THX certified receiver, and my poor old ears probably would be served just as well by a pocket radio!

We all have weaknesses, and if our investments can support a little tech bling, why not?

So, put those doubts aside, buy the new Apple phone, and enjoy life!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 am
@masterakeph, good point about TouchID after washing hands or taking a shower.

Current owners, what case and screen protector did you select? I usually don’t spring for the insurance, but those screen repair prices are scary.
I've always used Otterbox Defender. Tough as nails. I have one on my iPhone SE as well as my and DW's iPad 2 Air.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Cash

Post by Cash » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am
Is life "better" with constant connectivity?
Well I wasn’t really speaking generally. His life is actually better with GPS because he’s bad with directions :P.

And yes, I enjoy my constantly connected life very much. I’m not one of those people who can never put down their devices. I agree that technology does not make everyone’s life better. But probably most people. Definitely mine.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:

Current owners, what case and screen protector did you select? I usually don’t spring for the insurance, but those screen repair prices are scary.
I've always used Otterbox Defender. Tough as nails. I have one on my iPhone SE as well as my and DW's iPad 2 Air.
+1 I've never(knock on wood) damaged a phone or iPad that was sporting an Otterbox Defender, certainly bulky but well worth it for me. I've dropped my current phone hundreds of times with my Otterbox and the case isn't even scratched. I did tear out the screen protector and I'm using tech armor ballistic glass instead. That completely eliminated the need for me to take my case off to clean behind the built in screen protector.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:38 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:

Tech21 case with a Zagg screen protector. Zaggs come with a lifetime replacement warranty, which I normally use. I have shattered one screen. I dropped it on gravel and my phone chose to land on the one piece that was sticking up.

I've used Otterbox in the past. Their nice but just a little too bulky for me. Same for Lifeproof.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:31 pm

ZapRowsdower wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:

+1 I've never(knock on wood) damaged a phone or iPad that was sporting an Otterbox Defender, certainly bulky but well worth it for me. I've dropped my current phone hundreds of times with my Otterbox and the case isn't even scratched. I did tear out the screen protector and I'm using tech armor ballistic glass instead. That completely eliminated the need for me to take my case off to clean behind the built in screen protector.
In fact I tore out the small round plastic "thumb" sheet, it was interfering with the thumb print reading process.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Momus

Post by Momus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 pm

https://www.facebook.com/ign/videos/10155331007491633/

The last man hair line standing in line is awesome. Stupid top bezel.

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:21 am

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm
I am happy to read the posts about those buying an iPhoneX. Seriously. My Apple stock is a-popping, and hopefully the iPhoneX will enjoy robust sales for a couple of quarters from now.
I guess we should all want Apple, and Samsung, to do well, given that most Bogleheads own stock in both in the form of VTSAX.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:05 am

Cash wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:21 am
DxOMark rates the camera a 97:

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-x- ... er-stills/
I’ve never cared about DxOMark scores. Here is a review that largely mirrors my thoughts on the camera—a key reason I upgraded. As expensive as the phone is, I am going to save money by getting rid of my semiprofessional camera and will probably never get another one (I have a professional camera, but that’s for a different purpose).

http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-x-cam ... -guatemala

Cash

Post by Cash » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 am

angelescrest wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:05 am
Cash wrote:

I’ve never cared about DxOMark scores. Here is a review that largely mirrors my thoughts on the camera—a key reason I upgraded. As expensive as the phone is, I am going to save money by getting rid of my semiprofessional camera and will probably never get another one (I have a professional camera, but that’s for a different purpose).

I also thought about posting that one! Are there any camera apps you recommend? Based on reviews, I’m debating between Camera+, VSCO, and Halide.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm
Hard to believe, but the local Apple store had plenty of iPhoneX's, so I bought one and cancelled my online order. Frankly I'm a bit disappointed. I swear this screen is smaller than my old iPhone 7Plus. I even did a "room lights off" comparison and it's clear that the X has a narrower screen. What's with that? Is this just a set up to come out with an XPlus in a year or less (yeah, I know...there's ALWAYS something new)? The phone just feels chintzy compared to the substantial feel of the old Plus. Also, it sounds like the speakers on the old phone...both the "play music on my table" speakers and the "phone call voice to my ear" speaker sounds better on the old phone. Or am I imagining it? Bottom line is that this feels like a downgrade from a PLUS phone to a "regular", albeit new version iPhone, being sold under the guise as "better than Plus", temporarily until they have a real XPlus. Then they'll quietly forget that they used to sell it as "better than old Plus". Also you have to dig to find out the battery percentage. I REALLY dislike THAT. I'll hang on for a while but might take it back for an iPhone 8Plus.

Any other early users? All the reviews were glowing. Is there something wrong with me?
So it's been a week now...did you take it back?

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

I will probably keep it. I'm getting used to it. I like everything about it, except I miss the half inch (or so) of screen width. It's still harder to read on vs my old 7Plus. That being said, it's easier, because it's physically smaller, to flip into landscape mode...so I'm reading that way, which I did not do on my old Plus. Face recognition and "flicking" are great. I'm still convinced that Apple will, next year or sooner, come out with an "X PLUS" and rehype the whole marketing circus again. But hey, that's how capitalism works! And ya know what? I'm the sucker who will buy that too, at an outrageous price, and one of my kids will get another near-new phone!

mhop

Post by mhop » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 am

Next year the iPhone X features will be standard for the phones that are released and the prices will decrease back to normal levels. The pricing this year was intended to cut demand but with a longer run time for manufacturing you shouldn't expect to have that problem next year.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am
I will probably keep it. I'm getting used to it. I like everything about it, except I miss the half inch (or so) of screen width. It's still harder to read on vs my old 7Plus. That being said, it's easier, because it's physically smaller, to flip into landscape mode...so I'm reading that way, which I did not do on my old Plus. Face recognition and "flicking" are great. I'm still convinced that Apple will, next year or sooner, come out with an "X PLUS" and rehype the whole marketing circus again. But hey, that's how capitalism works! And ya know what? I'm the sucker who will buy that too, at an outrageous price, and one of my kids will get another near-new phone!
:sharebeer

An X Plus is probably inevitable. I will probably stick with the regular X for the form factor, but will envy that big OLED screen. I can't believe how tiny and outdated my iPhone 7 work phone feels now...

EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:45 am

It's the aspect ratio I don't like. For some reason, I tend to prefer the 8x10 sizing, in both portrait and landscape. No phone has that, but wider seems better in my opinion.Image
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am

I am upgrading from an IPhone 5 (served me well, but really getting sloooow) to an IPhone X. Due to be delivered Mid-December.

I ordered the 64GB version (rather than the 256GB). Right now I am only using 23GB of storage on my phone. I have an ICloud account that stores up to 50GB of photos on the web.

Question: Do you think it is mistake to get the 64GB version?

Thanks

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:24 am

Cash wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 am
Are you trying to post something like this? (from another forum):

The screen is taller than the Plus but a bit skinnier.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am

hirlaw wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am
I am upgrading from an IPhone 5 (served me well, but really getting sloooow) to an IPhone X. Due to be delivered Mid-December.

I ordered the 64GB version (rather than the 256GB). Right now I am only using 23GB of storage on my phone. I have an ICloud account that stores up to 50GB of photos on the web.

Thanks
I think you'll be fine as long as you optimize photo storage with iCloud and don't have a huge music collection. I got 256GB because we will probably have a kid while I have the phone, and I anticipate lots of photos and 4K videos that I'll want to store locally.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 am

hirlaw wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks
Not at all. I am using 30GB of my current 64, and I ordered another 64 Model. I have iCloud storage, and I don’t think I need a quarter of a terabyte storage on a phone.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 pm

mhop wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 am
Next year the iPhone X features will be standard for the phones that are released and the prices will decrease back to normal levels. The pricing this year was intended to cut demand but with a longer run time for manufacturing you shouldn't expect to have that problem next year.
On the contrary, all those features have been standard on the Android platform for years, they are 'new' only for the Apple crowd.

The only thing unique to the X is proper facial recognition, it remains to be seen how useful that will be. I would never use it, my employer requires and old skool PIN to be entered.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm

The animoji thing is a great toy! The first time. Then it gets old. I'm having fun with it but truthfully I doubt I'll use it once the novelty wears off. And I'm sure I'm ticking off my friends with it. I can just :shock: see them rolling their eyes!

andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:07 pm

I just came from Apple Store. iPhone X is smaller but screen bigger than 8 Plus - no doubt.
However when I click camera or you tube video there is black spacing on both sides of X. When compared with 8 Plus - 8 plus screen is bigger
on youtube video and rear camera.

I asked this question to Staff : What is the use of bigger screen if during youtube video or camera(rear) it cuts from both side? So practically its smaller than plus. It's just 'home page' screen bigger?

She said she will need to add em to 'waiting queue' to answer the question. Or probably she did not had the answer.

So I am debating now 8 Plus or X ?

There are some other better features in X like double optical stabilization, animoji, portrait features in front camera too.

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:32 pm

andyandyandy wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:07 pm
I just came from Apple Store. iPhone X is smaller but screen bigger than 8 Plus - no doubt.
However when I click camera or you tube video there is black spacing on both sides of X. When compared with 8 Plus - 8 plus screen is bigger
on youtube video and rear camera.

I asked this question to Staff : What is the use of bigger screen if during youtube video or camera(rear) it cuts from both side? So practically its smaller than plus. It's just 'home page' screen bigger?

She said she will need to add em to 'waiting queue' to answer the question. Or probably she did not had the answer.

So I am debating now 8 Plus or X ?

There are some other better features in X like double optical stabilization, animoji, portrait features in front camera too.
your question will be answered when app developers adapt their apps to the new 18:9 displays that everyone is moving towards. soon, youtube, etc. will utilize more of these screens. it is a software issue that will be solved because the entire market is shifting to this new display ratio.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm

andyandyandy wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:07 pm
camera(rear) it cuts from both side?
I'm not sure what you're talking about with the camera. I just looked side by side with my iPhone 7, and the viewfinder is definitely bigger on the X, and the app's buttons are where the header and footer are on the 7. In other words, the app takes up the entire screen.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Cash wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 am
angelescrest wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:05 am
Cash wrote:

I also thought about posting that one! Are there any camera apps you recommend? Based on reviews, I’m debating between Camera+, VSCO, and Halide.
I like VSCO for their excellent color grading, but for something important I almost always just take it in the photo app and import it into Photoshop on my laptop. But, in all honesty, I'm not one to talk credibly about apps and photography, though I could about professional photography beyond smartphones.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Half an inch? I thought the measurements were a LOT less than that in width. LIke .15 of an inch less or so?

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm

angelescrest wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Half an inch? I thought the measurements were a LOT less than that in width. LIke .15 of an inch less or so?
Perhaps you are right. Regardless of the number it's noticeable.