Job search techniques and etiquette

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Triple digit golfer

Job search techniques and etiquette

Post by Triple digit golfer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I am an accountant in the Chicago area looking for a new role (Controller, Director of Accounting, or similar).

I am working with a few recruiters, but they move slowly and will typically only submit you for one position at a time. Sometimes it takes weeks.

I could go with the approach of using Indeed.com or other job sites, but typically when I apply to positions on there, I get a call from a recruiter. It's not that I've actually applied for the position yet. Then I start the process all over with a new recruiter, and before you know it, I'm working with six or eight different recruiters.

I don't mind working with multiple recruiters, but the problem is that they're all fishing from the same pond and I don't want to end up submitting twice for the same job.

What do you all do when applying for jobs? Mass apply on job boards? Work with one or a couple recruiters? Work with multiple recruiters?

I worry that if I stick with just a handful of recruiters and don't go online myself and look for jobs, that the perfect job will pass by. On the other hand, if I'm working with a recruiter from ABC Firm, they never want you to apply online to any other posts from ABC Firm. They say they'll keep their eyes out and let me know of any matches.

The whole thing is just frustrating. Any tips?

p0nyboy

Re: Job search techniques and etiquette

Post by p0nyboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Its tough since different companies post job ads at different places. Its hard to catch them all. You need to do some legwork yourself. Craigslist, monster, indeed...even checking company websites that you're familiar with. Theres no trickery behind it. I guess linkendin could also work. Word of mouth, networking...etc.

tmhudg

Post by tmhudg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm going through this now. I've been mostly applying for jobs through LinkedIn and Glassdoor. The positions are either directly with the company or to a recruiter but I don't really care one way or another. The recruiter is not working for you, they are working for the hiring company so I don't really worry too much about following any kind of protocol they may have. I certainly treat them fairly and definitely don't burn any bridges but I'm looking out for me.

Most people will tell you that shot gunning job boards is not very effective. It's best to get a referral or some sort of direct connection to someone inside. That's easier said than done of course and so far, I've had fairly good responses from online applications - which translates into an extremely small amount of responses but more than zero.

From what I've learned, the best things you can do are update your LInkedIn profile (and do it right), and update your resume correctly - key words, two pages max, your value/branding statement, concise accomplishments.

Good luck!

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:39 pm

All of the above...

You absolutely have to suck it up and work with as many recruiters as you can find. Only when searching for a job did I realize the value of cultivating recruiter relationships during my career. When I was actively looking to leave Big 4 I was working with at least a half dozen recruiters that I met over the years. At the level you're talking about, I'm guessing most companies expect to find candidates through recruiters rather than dumb luck through their own job postings. But I'd also be searching job postings and company websites that fit your profile/skill set.

Finally, I'd be calling everyone I met throughout my career to see if they're aware of positions that might suit you.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm

I would spend time on recruiters and networking.

I have spent too much time filling out those online forms for too many companies that all I get in return is an automated message about "If I am a match, I will be contacted. Otherwise, good luck". It is definitely frustrating for someone looking for a job.

Another interesting way to look for one is going through Google Maps in commercial/industrial parks with ideal commuting locations. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 10 minute commute, for example.

One thing to note is to watch out for scammy recruiters. If they want information about your references before a phone interview with the Employer, then you are being played. They are trying to go to your references, typically managers, to sell their services or even poach them for other jobs.

MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm

I work in recruiting and my recommendation would be two-fold: 1) Set up 'passive' avenues where recruiters & companies are reaching out to you. This means posting your resume on Indeed, Monster.com, and within LinkedIn you can flag your profile as 'Open to Opportunities'. In Chicago with your background you should receive a lot of interest. 2) Apply to jobs daily, anything that looks like a good fit for what you want to do and for a company you'd like to work for.

Then, you should have a big pipeline of opportunities, and it's now your time to be selective. If the first conversation didn't go well, if the positions or company doesn't seem so great, or if the compensation isn't there, let them know you're going another direction.

Is this all very time consuming? Yes, absolutely. Especially given the face you should be doing a deep dive into the position and company each time to get prepared for the interview. But, a new job is such a huge component of your life, it's well worth it to invest a lot of your time now to make sure you find a great long term fit.