Spam calls to cell phone...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by Nicolas » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 am

TBillT wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 am
I've recently gone from zero to seems like 30 junk calls a day on my cell phone.
Home phone has gone from 10 calls a day to about 50 also.
The apparent reason for this increase (besides indifference of Congress) is that my wife and I became Medicare eligible.
The only good thing is we get so many Medicare calls, the other robo callers must get busy signals all the time.

Cox is finally giving us "no mo robo" capability, so we are in the process of that. iPhone I guess I have to start blocking, but they vary the number every incoming call almost.
You can get nomorobo for iPhone too but it’s not free, it’s I think $1.99 a month, so I don’t do it, I don’t like monthly charges. I guess if it became intolerable I’d ultimately spring for it.

I get about two spam calls a day to my iPhone, I just don’t answer them. This policy tripped me up a couple times though as I missed important calls that I thought were spammers.

We’ve got nomorobo for free with our VOIPo internet phone and it works very well.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am

mouses wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am
Make sure you are on the National Do Not Call Registry.

When you get a spam call, use a phone app to block the number and immediately report the call to the DNC Registry.
As far as I can tell Do Not Call accomplishes nothing. If anyone has information to the contrary, I would like to hear it.
In my state, the AG has cracked down on the local, legitimate, but non-compliant businesses, such as HVAC service and carpet cleaners. I have not received these types of calls -which used to be very frequent - in a few years. I always reported them. I also found out where the callers were getting their calling lists from, asked the dnc registry to create a comments box, then used the comments box to report what I had learned.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm

I send all calls to voicemail, use a spam filter, and have VM transcription so I don't have to listen to them. Family and friends know to contact me through messaging apps. In an ideal world everyone would but we're not there yet. Google tried and has mostly failed, IMO because they're so schizophrenic in their approach. By my last count, they had 7 different messaging platforms (Hangouts, Hangouts Chat, Hangouts Meet, Allo, Duo, Messenger, Voice).

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

On my IPhone I do the following to deal with spam calls:

- I downloaded a "silent ringtone" from the app store. This is set as my default ringtone for all calls. Screen will flash with incoming call but no audible sound and calls will go to voice mail. 90% of the spam calls I receive will not leave a voice mail and those that are not spam usually will leave a voice mail.

- For all of my contacts I don't use my default silent ring tone, but instead assign an audible ring tone, so if my phone rings I know it is a caller that is on my contact list. Took about a 1/2 hour to go through all of my contacts and assign a ring tone, but this has worked well for me.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:04 am

The apparent reason for this increase (besides indifference of Congress) is that my wife and I became Medicare eligible.
The only good thing is we get so many Medicare calls, the other robo callers must get busy signals all the time.
Nah, it's because Medicare fraud is a huge business.
This sounds like a fun and profitable hobby. How much money have you made doing this? Can you file the case online, or do you need to appear in person at the court house?

How do you justify a charge back on your credit card if you legitimately bought the product or service they're selling?
I'm sure a person who put some focus on it could clear 50-100k annually without too much effort. If a person focused on it intently, they could probably clear 200k+ annually. I haven't kept track of it well, but for an over/under I can easily say well over 300k in the past 3 years.

You can file by mailing the case in. Some state courts may allow you to file a new case online. I live near a court house so I just run it down there as I am mailing stuff.

For a charge back, I would claim I didn't get it for a card not present transaction. On occasion someone will challenge that which reveals all the legal entities involved and players on the defendant side. It is really unwise on their part...if you want to feel good about yourself, take pictures of the product or video, mail it back and then do the cc dispute

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:58 pm

I simply want to enhance Caller ID at this point.

The carriers should offer Caller ID should only show me numbers of callers where I can reach them by returning the call.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:18 am

I have not answered a live phone call since 2012. iPhone got stolen that summer, and I simply went without a phone for four years. Googe Voice only. After getting a new phone finally, I set it permanently to Do Not Disturb, and it has no voicemail set up. All outbound calls go through Google Voice app, displaying that number on caller ID. GV does really good spam filtering. VM and SMS go to Gmail, where I can discard rapidly.

I don’t even know what the actual phone number to my phone is, and don’t care. Nobody has it, and even random calls to it go nowhere.

Oh, and I run a profitable consulting business utilizing this arrangement, for those biz people that think this would never work for them.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:16 am

I was successful in getting my auto warranty spam calls eliminated because they kept calling about the same car I bought from a local Chevy dealership. I called them directly, and after getting the run around from the manager, I called corporate. They apologized and said I would be removed within 30 days.
I still get other spam calls sporadically, but not about auto warranties!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 am

I sometimes answer just to have fun with them and to see how long I can keep them on the phone by giving them fake information.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 am

The apps I've tried weren't all that effective. Better, I put my iPhone on Do Not Disturb, EXCEPT Contact List. So now if I know the caller, it rings, and if I don't, it remains silent. Not ideal, but it's satisfactory.

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am

I have my cell phone set so that it only rings if the call is coming from a recognized number in my contact list. Any other call is silent. A legitimate caller will leave a message, and I will get it. Spam callers generally do not leave messages, and if they do it's only because the automated system believes the call was answered. This system does require me to keep my contact list updated.
Steve

afan

Post by afan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 am

I am impressed that someone has had success with taking these criminals to court. I had always assumed the sources were both out of the country and sufficiently well disguised that I could not identify a responsible party in the US. I will take another look at the totallystudly approach.

I have eliminated the problem using the Do Not Disturb function. Any call not from my contacts list goes directly to voicemail. My phone shows "missed" calls. I get a lot, but they never get to me. Rarely, less than once a month, a legitimate call goes to voice mail. Those I call back.

I suppose, in theory, a spammer might randomly land on number in my contact list and that call would go through. This is probably due to the small fraction of all possible phone numbers that are in my contacts list.

I would rather be able to pick up those legit calls as they come in and I would love to make some money fighting back.

For now, the spam calls seem to be completely suppressed.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 am

msi wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm
tractorguy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:44 pm
msi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 am
I use a free iOS app called 'Hiya' for blocking these. It works pretty well, though nothing is 100% perfect.
Hiya is also available for android. I've been using it for 3 months and have noticed a significant drop in spam calls from 1-2/day to 1 every other week. If the number is on their blacklist, the phone rings once and the call goes directly to voicemail.
Yeah, it's a great app. I'm left wondering why anyone would pay for NoMoRobo instead.
I installed Hiya on Android. It asked for lesser permissions than other free apps. But before I clicked on getting started, I read the terms and conditions. They have perpetual rights over the data transferred from my phone to their servers and they can modify the same and can use globally. The permissions requested included reading and modifying contacts and reading and modifying SD card. Ended up uninstalling.
Last edited by CarpeDiem22 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:02 am

I’m wondering why people aren’t putting the carriers to task for not giving us a service that works.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:55 am

Longdog wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am
I have my cell phone set so that it only rings if the call is coming from a recognized number in my contact list. Any other call is silent. A legitimate caller will leave a message, and I will get it. Spam callers generally do not leave messages, and if they do it's only because the automated system believes the call was answered. This system does require me to keep my contact list updated.
I think this method also will stop all notifications of emails and texts from those not on your contact list. Is that correct? I think that is why I went with adding a silent ring as a default and an audible ring for my contacts as I still wanted to receive notifications of emails and texts from those not on my phone contact list.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Due to the nature of my work, I get numerous calls from unknown numbers. I can't let unknown calls go to voicemail, because there is an over 50% chance it is someone calling me to provide information I have requested; going to VM would start the phone tag game and unnecessarily delaying the receipt of information. Further, I no longer want to carry two phones, so my employer allows me to use my own cell for work.

I have partially solved the problem by being VERY vigilant about giving out my cell number. Many transactions, such as online purchases, restaurant reservations, dr. appointments, etc. request a cell number. I've kept my old landline for this purpose. By not giving out my cell number to entities who may sell their database, and treating my old landline as a "throwaway" number, I've reduced the spam on my cell. Getting ready to port the landline to google voice to further reduce the problem on the old landline.

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Copper John wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:55 am
Longdog wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am
I think this method also will stop all notifications of emails and texts from those not on your contact list. Is that correct? I think that is why I went with adding a silent ring as a default and an audible ring for my contacts as I still wanted to receive notifications of emails and texts from those not on my phone contact list.
Yes it does silence email notifications. I have additional steps I need to take regarding texts to make sure they cause audible notifications. It does take some upkeep but it’s not that big a deal. A couple of minutes a week, maybe. And the very first call or text from a trusted person falls through the cracks.
Steve

teacher

Post by teacher » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Here's how to hang up on unknown or unwanted callers without answering first on an iPhone:
Press the Off button (Sleep button) on the upper right side of the phone twice.

I haven't tried this, but apparently, you can make the red Hang-Up button appear by tapping the name/number of the person calling.

I have ignored calls from unknown callers, but the repeated ringing can be very annoying, so I prefer hanging up without answering.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Copper John wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

- I downloaded a "silent ringtone" from the app store. This is set as my default ringtone for all calls. Screen will flash with incoming call but no audible sound and calls will go to voice mail. 90% of the spam calls I receive will not leave a voice mail and those that are not spam usually will leave a voice mail.

- For all of my contacts I don't use my default silent ring tone, but instead assign an audible ring tone, so if my phone rings I know it is a caller that is on my contact list. Took about a 1/2 hour to go through all of my contacts and assign a ring tone, but this has worked well for me.
What app did you use for the "silent ringtone".

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I have partially solved the problem by being VERY vigilant about giving out my cell number. Many transactions, such as online purchases, restaurant reservations, dr. appointments, etc. request a cell number. I've kept my old landline for this purpose. By not giving out my cell number to entities who may sell their database, and treating my old landline as a "throwaway" number, I've reduced the spam on my cell. Getting ready to port the landline to google voice to further reduce the problem on the old landline.
I do something similar in that I generally give businesses my old home phone number that is no longer in service. For example, I use this phone number as my alternate ID for my supermarket "club" card, at Staples and at other businesses that require you to provide a phone number to use as your account number. That way, I know the phone number since I used it as a real number for years and I know I'll never receive a solicitation call related to that number since it's no longer in service.

I check periodically to make sure the number has not been reassigned by the phone company, and it still hasn't after almost 10 years.

RightGuard

Post by RightGuard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm

I've seen some great suggestions from some other posters. The one about a silent ring for unknown/non-contact numbers and a 'normal' ring for trusted numbers is good.

If you have a smart phone and are diligent about blocking numbers known to be spam you will slowly turn the corner on them. The numbers they generate are not totally random and seem to fall within certain blocks for whatever reason. Through brute force mass blocking of these types of numbers I have built a list that screens out the majority of nuisance calls.

Nowadays I get maybe... 1 or 2 calls a week that are new spoofed numbers and sneak through. Takes less than 5 seconds to add them to the list.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Copper John wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

What app did you use for the "silent ringtone".
I went to:

Settings/Sounds/Ringtone/Tone Store/Search

In the search option I just put in silent ringtone and a number of options came up. I chose: Silence, Silent Void of Sounds for $1.29.

This method has worked perfectly for me. All of my sound notifications for emails and texts remain active, but I only receive audible rings for people I have put on my contact list. If someone not on my contact list calls, the screen will light up with the caller ID functioning, but it will not ring.

InvestInLife

Post by InvestInLife » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:34 pm

If it's a number I don't recognize, I don't answer. 99% of those are spam calls. If it's not spam and is of value, they will leave a message.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:43 pm

What do you do about spam telephone calls that are from your own telephone number? You can’t block them because if you do you will not get any telephone calls that you really want.