Spam calls to cell phone...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vaught

Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by vaught »

I used to only get these spam calls to my cell phone very sporadically (maybe once a week).

Now I am getting at least one a day. Automated calls that say "you need a new car warranty..." or "we can get you a better interest rate on your credit card..."

The numbers are obviously spoofed as the area code always shows my hometown area code. My state actually has a do not call list for cell phones that I joined a long time ago.

Is there anything to do?
The Wizard

Re: Spam calls to cell phone...

Post by The Wizard »

My spam blocker software usually picks up on these. But if I'm fast, I sometimes answer the incoming call first and play an old FedEx commercial for them.
Spam for the spammers...
Attempted new signature...
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Not much - the calls are computer-generated (often overseas), and the callers don't care about do-not-call lists.

I just let all calls from numbers I don't recognize go straight to voice mail, then block them using the cell phone options.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
financeidiot

Post by financeidiot »

Send every call you don't recognize to voicemail. If you answer the phone, they know a real person is responding to your number. I used to get spam calls all the time (at least 3X a day). After a month of not answering my phone for every number I didn't recognize, they've reduced substantially (1-2X a week).
mrc

Post by mrc »

This has been happening on my land line for a couple months, where the area code and exchange matches, with a random last 4. For example, say I live in Iowa and my number is 712.322.1234. The call will come in 712.322.xxxx.

Last week the same thing began happening on my cell. According to the call record, the last 4 are never the same. Blocking them can be a futile effort. There is a special place in hell for these people.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
bberris

Post by bberris »

The weird thing is when you get a call from your own number. I was tempted to answer, thinking that I might be in trouble.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just block them using the cell phone software. I went through a rash of them here in early summer and then I haven't had one in months. Like others said, if the name isn't in my contact list so that is shows up, I always let it go to voicemail. If they don't leave a message, then it probably wasn't worth my time to hear what they wanted.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I broke down and paid for an app that screens them out. Works pretty well. Couple of bucks a month. Robokiller.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

mrc wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am This has been happening on my land line for a couple months, where the area code and exchange matches, with a random last 4. For example, say I live in Iowa and my number is 712.322.1234. The call will come in 712.322.xxxx.

Last week the same thing began happening on my cell. According to the call record, the last 4 are never the same. Blocking them can be a futile effort. There is a special place in hell for these people.
Do you have option for nomorobo ? It’s only on cable based landlines and internet lines. Not available for old style telco landlines.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Make sure you are on the National Do Not Call Registry.

When you get a spam call, use a phone app to block the number and immediately report the call to the DNC Registry.
mrc

Post by mrc »

JBTX wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 am
mrc wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am This has been happening on my land line for a couple months, where the area code and exchange matches, with a random last 4. For example, say I live in Iowa and my number is 712.322.1234. The call will come in 712.322.xxxx.

Do you have option for nomorobo ? It’s only on cable based landlines and internet lines. Not available for old style telco landlines.
Land line (FiOS) is on nomorobo, but not the cell. Also on the do not call registry.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

My wife recently got a call from her exact number.
financeidiot

Post by financeidiot »

I wouldn't necessarily block the number. The phone numbers are typically spoofed (not the actual number they're calling from) and they won't use the same number twice. You could also block a number you want to receive calls from in the future (though unlikely).
mrc

Post by mrc »

jasc15 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am
I suppose that's next. :annoyed

I already screen all calls, but I am surprised, despite being on nomorobo and donotcall.gov, how many I receive.
Toons

Post by Toons »

This app does an excellent job for me,,,years
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cker&hl=en

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
furikake

Post by furikake »

My cell provider has an app that blocks spam calls. It works most of the time unless it's a new number, then you have to tell it to block manually. The automatic ones don't even ring, they are just blocked, but you can see who they blocked and you can unblock if you want.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Only 3-4 people have my cell number and I know who they are. I just ignore all other calls and text messages that are not from them or involve 2FA.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

jasc15 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am My wife recently got a call from her exact number.

This is my fear - that I diligently block all these fake numbers on my phone, but end up blocking real numbers because of the spoofing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jasc15 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am
I get those on my home Voip number (from me, not your wife :P ).
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

mrc wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 am

Land line (FiOS) is on nomorobo, but not the cell. Also on the do not call registry.
So you are saying nomorobo misses these calls? That’s odd because we practically never get unwanted calls anymore. I’ll hear the landline phone ring 3-6 times a day, just one ring, which means nomorobo flagged and stopped it. Almost never does an unwanted call keep ringing.

Make sure you have all settings like “do not accept anonymous calls” set in your phone company settings online. If you keep getting the same numbers add them to the call block list, but I haven’t had to add any to list in months. It may be worth emailing nomorobo and see what they say.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I have it easy, use the cell phone only for emergencies. Once a while I simply delete all messages. My wife does not even delete them, lets them fall off when that memory is full.

Post by 2015 »

Toons wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am This app does an excellent job for me,,,years
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cker&hl=en

:happy
I used Mr. Number for the longest until something happened with the app and it changed. Then it stopped blocking calls as effectively. I read a bunch of stuff about it, can't remember where, maybe in the app reviews about it not being as effective. I switched to Legal Call Blocker a couple years ago when it all happened and have not looked back. LCB app is totally effective the way Mr. Number used to be when I first used it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cash&hl=en
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Even thought it seems futile, I would advise continuing to report the robocalls to donotcall.gov.

The Do Not Call list has helped cut down on unsolicited calls from businesses that operate openly, but the rise of illegal robocalling has created a way around it for those with no respect for the law. Regardless, I figure providing the data to the FTC will help them ultimately get a grasp on how to track down and prosecute those law breakers.
pondering

Post by pondering »

What amazes me is that they took away the *57 call trace service on my cell phone
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
mouses

Post by mouses »

protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am Make sure you are on the National Do Not Call Registry.

When you get a spam call, use a phone app to block the number and immediately report the call to the DNC Registry.
As far as I can tell Do Not Call accomplishes nothing. If anyone has information to the contrary, I would like to hear it.
mouses

Post by mouses »

pondering wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:19 pm What amazes me is that they took away the *57 call trace service on my cell phone
Wow, really? I had no idea that was gone. Why would they do that? That has helped me twice over the years when loons were calling me.
Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth »

I used to get these calls a few times a week.

If you pick up the phone, they simply mark your number as "active" and you will get more calls. There is never another person on the other end of the line. It's all automated (although if you respond to the offer for a free credit card or whatever they are selling it will try to connect you to a foreign call center). You aren't going to solve anything by trying to reason with them.

The better option is to not pick up. You can look up the number online to see if it's a known spammer, and then simply block the number. After a month or so the number of calls will be cut down substantially. At this point, I only get a call of this type once every few months.
namekevaste

Post by namekevaste »

Create a contact in your address book (mine is called "Ihate Spam"). Block this contact. Each time you get a spam call, use "Add number to Existing Contact" to add as a new number for the blocked contact. I know people who have added >100 numbers in this manner.
mrc

Post by mrc »

JBTX wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 am
mrc wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 am

So you are saying nomorobo misses these calls? That’s odd because we practically never get unwanted calls anymore. I’ll hear the landline phone ring 3-6 times a day, just one ring, which means nomorobo flagged and stopped it. Almost never does an unwanted call keep ringing.

Make sure you have all settings like “do not accept anonymous calls” set in your phone company settings online. If you keep getting the same numbers add them to the call block list, but I haven’t had to add any to list in months. It may be worth emailing nomorobo and see what they say.
Nomorobo snags a lot of calls (I notice only one ring), so that's great in that I don't get a 2 second VM. :x But nomo doesn't snag these local exchange spoof calls. Unfortunately, I can't block anonymous calls until DW retires--her work number is blocked from caller ID. Thanks for the reminder to do that then!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

mouses wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm
protagonist wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am Make sure you are on the National Do Not Call Registry.

As far as I can tell Do Not Call accomplishes nothing. If anyone has information to the contrary, I would like to hear it.
I can only speak anecdotally.

I get small waves of spam calls....like 3 or 4 or 5 in a week....and then when I report them all I don't see another spam call for many
months.

I have associated that with reporting them, though whether it is cause-and-effect , I have no clue.

Plus, I get very few spam calls, compared with people I know who are not on the DNC registry. That said I am pretty careful about protecting my identity online, using pseudonyms and fake phone numbers whenever possible.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

mouses wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

It does work on the types of calls the law was designed for and The FTC occasionally issues press releases when they successfully prosecute major violators:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-r ... ator-using

However, the big problem now is not ordinary US-based telemarketing. It's robocalling typically using temporary, spoofed, or foreign numbers that are hard to track down or even outside US jurisdiction. These were a far less significant issue when the Do Not Call law was originally passed, but it is so cheap to implement that it has grown much faster than traditional telemarketing has declined.

And the phone companies just don't care.

A bit more on the topic here:
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... is_it.html
pondering

Post by pondering »

Is there an organization that is worth supporting on this effort?
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

bltkmt wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am
jasc15 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am My wife recently got a call from her exact number.

This is my fear - that I diligently block all these fake numbers on my phone, but end up blocking real numbers because of the spoofing.
If someone is calling from a real local number, the Caller ID on my portable handset will show:
  • Name and phone number if calling from a land line
  • City and phone number if calling from a cell phone
But spoofed calls show up as "out of area" with a local number - I also get "out of area" with an out of area phone number or "toll free caller" for toll free numbers.

I recently purchased CPR call blocker which will allow you to block up to 5000 individual phone numbers. If the number is blocked, the phone will still ring once but that saves me from having to get up and check the handset. (The caller ID is audible, but I can rarely decipher the computer voice to figure out who is calling unless it is a number I programmed in myself).
luckybamboo

Got a call from my OWN number on mobile. How is it possible?

Post by luckybamboo »

I got two phone-calls from my own number. One of them said 'Your account is compromised. Please key in last 4 digits of your SSN after the beep' I didn't do anything and hung up. Got the call again and no one was talking.
Anybody have any clue on how this could happen? Anything to be concerned about? AT&T customer service is closed right now so I couldn't reach them.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

luckybamboo - I merged your post into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Zott

Post by Zott »

I've got two apps on my Android phone that seem to work pretty well-

--Should I Answer blocks spam calls based on community ratings for the phone number calling. Known telemarketers get a negative rating and can be blocked.

--Calls Blacklist--I use this to block all spoofed calls from my area code and exchange, ie 123-456-xxxx. It works well, and there's a whitelist in case you know someone who actually has the same area code/exchange as you.
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

Since this is a finance site, I'll propose a financial solution: identify the caller or end user and sue them under the TCPA and collect 3k per call. Yes, $3,000 per call. I've done it.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

I HATE this. Happens to me sometimes 6-8 times a day. I would pay big money for an app that solved this problem.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Did you win?
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

I almost never go to trial, most settle and a few go to summary judgment, others have been default judgments and i collected on then. I settled several this month for over 20k, which isn't common, but happens as the cases settle and the defense attys have milked their clients dry for attys fees. I have had some settle in days, I have had some take 12-18 months.

Typical is 3-6 months from filing to a check in my hand.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I don't answer any call on my cell phone from a number that's not already in my address book or I otherwise don't recognize. The spammers never leave a message. Still mildly annoying but not enough to warrant me spending more time trying to prevent it from happening.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

totallystudly wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm I almost never go to trial, most settle and a few go to summary judgment, others have been default judgments and i collected on then. I settled several this month for over 20k, which isn't common, but happens as the cases settle and the defense attys have milked their clients dry for attys fees. I have had some settle in days, I have had some take 12-18 months.

I am curious how you identify exactly who or what entity is behind a particular call so you know who to sue.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I don't answer the phone if I don't know who is calling. Last week the caller ID screen showed it was from my medical insurance company, so I answered it.
Turns out it was a spam call.
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

Still mildly annoying but not enough to warrant me spending more time trying to prevent it from happening

At 3k per call or even 750-1000 per call for a settlement that isn't worth your time? Even if the call took an hour, that's a pretty good hourly rate...

I am curious how you identify exactly who or what entity is behind a particular call so you know who to sue.

I pick up the phone and talk to them nicely. Whatever they are selling, I'm buying. Often I will buy the product and do a charge back at the end of the month so I have a paper trail and money trail. Worst case I will file a john doe lawsuit and subpoena the phone carrier, but usually I can figure it out by pretending to be customer.

Blocking calls is throwing away potential money and I'm not going to run or hide from telemarketers.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

tim1999 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 pm
totallystudly wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm I almost never go to trial, most settle and a few go to summary judgment, others have been default judgments and i collected on then. I settled several this month for over 20k, which isn't common, but happens as the cases settle and the defense attys have milked their clients dry for attys fees. I have had some settle in days, I have had some take 12-18 months.

Agreed even the FTC has a lot of trouble finding these robocallers and when they do many are not even in the USA. That is the problem. Enforcement is very difficult due to the difficulty in both tracing and getting jurisdiction as well as the share number of them.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Is there a checklist and detailed instructions on how to process one of these suits?

What is the hourly payback range?
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

Every federal court has a pro-se manual to go over the basics. You could alternatively file in small claims or hire a tcpa experienced lawyer to run the first case and then learn how to do it from the filed documents. You could look at a case filed on pacer and see the basic progression.

Nolopress has some really good books and basic how to stuff written by a lawyer as well. Step by step.

Hourly pay back is relative, could be a lot if you take small amounts, but I think you could get $100 per hour easily if you are willing to grind it out and wait a year and make 10k. Alternatively you could settle a 10k case for 1k and claim you made maybe $500 per hour. I'm generally in no rush to get paid in the market or otherwise.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I just think that if I could write up how to do this on a wiki or blog, I could recruit people to do it more easily. If more of these actions were taken it would reduce the problem dramatically.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I'm also guessing that once I receive one of these calls I might want to find out more about the person making the call by being friendly and polite to the person calling me.
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

pondering wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 pm I'm also guessing that once I receive one of these calls I might want to find out more about the person making the call by being friendly and polite to the person calling me.
I should think that the posting of a telephone number and name in your signature will grant you this option far sooner than anticipated.