Moving to Oahu, HI -- best way to find an apt

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
coffeehubcap

Moving to Oahu, HI -- best way to find an apt

Post by coffeehubcap » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 am

I'm married, no kids, 2 dogs. I'm looking for a reasonable 1 bedroom apt. with parking on the street and a radius of 10 to 15 miles from the Federal Bldg in Honolulu. Haven't been there but need to start searching. Any suggestions? Know anyone who has rental apts in Oahu? Appreciate any help you can give me.

aristotelian

Re: Moving to Oahu, HI -- best way to find an apt

Post by aristotelian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:58 am

coffeehubcap wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 am
I'm married, no kids, 2 dogs. I'm looking for a reasonable 1 bedroom apt. with parking on the street and a radius of 10 to 15 miles from the Federal Bldg in Honolulu. Haven't been there but need to start searching. Any suggestions? Know anyone who has rental apts in Oahu? Appreciate any help you can give me.
How long are you looking to rent? Is this for more than a vacation?

You will probably find the best deals in Pearl City but in my opinion the quality of life is very low there. It's very hot, far from the beach, lots of traffic and sprawl.

The University area would be terrific if it's in your budget.

Kailua is outside your radius but really nice if you could handle the commute. We did a rental through VRBO and really liked that area.

coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 am

3 years at the most. Thanks for your suggestions

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am

coffeehubcap wrote:
Try Craigs List or the Star Advertiser to get a sense of pricing. The following comes from the Advertiser's listings.

http://www.hawaiiislandhomes.com/rental/

I'd suggest doing some due diligence before arriving so you understand cost of living on the island: housing, food, etc. BTW 10-15 mile radius from in town covers a very large part of the island, but traffic can be/is horrendous. For instance Kailua to Prince Kuhio Federal Bldg is about 13 miles and 40 minutes in the morning according to google maps. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kailua, ... 21.3035121

Parking at the Kuhio may be an issue unless your job includes a spot.

Aloha!

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 pm

My sis and BIL moved to Oahu for a 3-yr stint with the Fed gov't. They were able to take the lease from someone in the dept who was moving back to the mainland. You might start your search by contacting your hiring agency for suggestions.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 pm

coffeehubcap wrote:
You will have a very very difficult time finding an apartment building that will take 2 dogs. Maybe a mother in laws quarters or such in Kalihi or Kahaluu, etc, etc. Married, no children, without pets is better. Include 2 bedrooms as 1 bedrooms can be very very tiny. Most mainland apartments are larger than what you will find on Oahu.

Commutes from the Windward side, Kaneohe, Kailua, to Downtown can range from 40 minutes at 5:30 a.m. to 1 to 1.5 hours after 6:30 depending on how many traffic cones are out and who's trimming the trees along the highway, and how many fender benders closing it down to one lane. Same for Pearl City and farther out. Think. . . gridlock.

You would be closer in the University, Kaimuki, Makiki, Upper Makiki, Moiliili, McCully, Lower Nuuanu zone. Apartment inventory is substantial in these areas so you're likely to find something. Or even Salt Lake. Avoid Kalihi, Waipahu, Papakolea zone, and anything farther out. Inventory is competitive and scarcer in Kailua, Kaneohe, and the Windward side. Inventory is substantial in Pearl City but the commute is killer and there are micro zones that you would not want to be in. You'd have to see specifically where the apartment is at in this area. Some are really nice, some marginal.

Where one stays on vacation or renting a VRBO is far different than renting to live and work there.

Parking downtown is nearly non existent and very very pricey. If your workplace has it's own parking garage, great.

I used to have buildings and rentals all over the island for decades. The ones I still have don't take pets.
What is your monthly budget?

PM me if you need to get more detail, what rental contracts require there, etc, etc.
Give me the cross streets of where you're looking at and I'll give you input.

nm451

Post by nm451 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 pm

As has been mentioned finding a place to rent with dogs is going to be tough. It took a friend of mine about 6 months to find a place she liked that allowed dogs. If you are going to be bringing your dogs then you should look at the Hawaii State Quarantine website for the information there are a lot of hoops to jump through.
hdoa.hawaii.gov

A one bedroom apartment with two people and dogs will probably be very cozy. Also if you are looking for somewhere in the Downtown Honolulu area I would not assume that I could easily find street parking. You would probably have to pay for parking at your apartment.

Also depending on where you are from, moving to Hawaii may be a big culture shock. I would recommend doing some more research to prepare yourself.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm

nm451 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 pm
As has been mentioned finding a place to rent with dogs is going to be tough. It took a friend of mine about 6 months to find a place she liked that allowed dogs. If you are going to be bringing your dogs then you should look at the Hawaii State Quarantine website for the information there are a lot of hoops to jump through.
hdoa.hawaii.gov

A one bedroom apartment with two people and dogs will probably be very cozy. Also if you are looking for somewhere in the Downtown Honolulu area I would not assume that I could easily find street parking. You would probably have to pay for parking at your apartment.

Also depending on where you are from, moving to Hawaii may be a big culture shock. I would recommend doing some more research to prepare yourself.
Absolutely. Hawaii has a unique island culture.
People actually wait and waive to let others go through a four way stop.
When someone asks, "how you doin"" they actually want to know. Greetings are not perfunctory.
Nobody wears a suit. Business wear is a "dress" aloha shirt, slacks, nice shoes. Even for bank presidents.
Everyone brings gifts and snacks for whatever reason, to say hello, to say thank you, to visit your home, or just because.
When a car breaks down on the side of the road, everyone nearly competes for who can be the most helpful.
Humility and being "low key" is one of the most valued character traits.
And, everyone "talks story". (chew the fat) to get along. And, they are truly interested.
It's called the "Aloha Spirit" and those that don't participate are the same one's that don't take their shoes off before entering a home. :D

And. . . there's a very high percentage of "Millionaire's Next Door" in Hawaii, and they don't stand out. :D