Use Time Warner for home phone vs ATT

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Johio

Use Time Warner for home phone vs ATT

Post by Johio » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:06 pm

I am one of the few people left who has a landline. We have Time Warner for cable and Internet, and phone service is available through them, but I have been reluctant to get rid of ATT due to fear that if cable is out I have no phone. I think my fear is a bit unwarranted since cable is up most of the time and we have cell phones if landline is out.

I am curious as to the experiences of others who use a landline - do you bundle it with cable provider or use someone like ATT?

Thanks

StoneyJB

Re: Use Time Warner for home phone vs ATT

Post by StoneyJB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 pm

AFAIK Time Warner is now Spectrum...but I was TW Cable/Phone/Internet customer for 20 years and only issue we had was after Superstorm Sandy we did not have service for 3 weeks and got lip service from TW (we were one of last neighborhoods reconnected)...I was able to transfer all calls to home to my cell and then handed the in the end I handed the entire bill to TW and after 90 days they paid it (I gather I was not only customer who did this and AG ordered TW to pay up).

Have not heard ANYTHING good about Spectrum...from Labor issues (IBEW Lock Out) to not meeting in service dates...

StoneyJB

Post by StoneyJB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Moved and now have Verizon and so far no issues

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm with Spectrum (formerly Time-Warner Cable) for my internet only, we do not have cable or satellite TV. I will not bundle my phone service with Spectrum as it would be too expensive. We use VOIPo for our phone instead at a cost of about $7.50/month. If you were to go with Ooma it would be even cheaper from what I hear, though I don't speak from experience. We use our cell phones as backup if the internet goes down.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut. Res quanto est maior tanto est insidiosior.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 am

Are you sure you have a true landline through ATT? If you have a DSL/phone bundle with them, chances are high that they switched you to VOIP. I just talked to an ATT technician yesterday ( performing my once-a-year provider switch from Spectrum back to ATT U-verse and I asked him about “true landlines”. He confirmed that they still exist but are VERY expensive ($50-100 territory). If you are paying 20bucks a month, likely you are using VOIP already?

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am

Cable company charges too much, for us. We have only internet, but I doubt any bundle can beat Ooma.

We Have had Ooma for 4 years or so. It has been great, one issue in that time that was taken care of within a day of when we called about it. It now costs $5.25 per month and was $80 or $100 for their box. We bought the box from Costco, figuring that gave us a up to a couple years to try it out and return it if we were not happy with it.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 am

Ours is bundled with internet through a cable provider. Where I live in rural America, the only option if you stream movies is through the cable company. The other options all have speed issues. To handle the price issue, I switch to a dish television service every two years. When I switch back to the cable provider after two years, I get all the prices reduced again.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm

We switched from landline with traditional copper to using Ooma with VOIP, only 5 dollars a month, very satisfied.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 am

I started using Ooma several years ago on the advice of several BH's. Perfect service, $5 and change. I don't recall ever having to reboot it.
If I am stupid I will pay.

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 am

euroswiss wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 am
chances are high that they switched you to VOIP.
ATT U-Verse for phone and Internet here.

True, it is a VOIP situation.