Someone spoofing my phone number?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DiggleRex

Someone spoofing my phone number?

Post by DiggleRex » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Someone called me three times this morning. I ignored the first two attempts and picked up on the 3rd. Their phone number had the same area code as mine and same first three digits after area code. They told me that I kept calling them. I told them I did not. They said someone kept calling them with my number, making sales calls. I told them again, I've never called them. They said maybe someone is spoofing your number and hung up. This is kind of scary, especially in the midst of the Equifax nonsense. Has anyone experienced this where someone calls you claiming you keep calling them? I found a thread on verizon (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/929989) and sprint (https://community.sprint.com/t5/Service ... d-p/872026) complaining of the same exact issue. Doesn't sound like a ton can be done from the thread responses. The FTC has a complaint form for spoofing, but none of the options allow you to report this specific problem above. You can report receiving a spoof call, but the problem here is the person that called me is the one that received the spoof call.

Nate79

Re: Someone spoofing my phone number?

Post by Nate79 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Have you tried calling your provider and see what they suggest?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 pm

It is certainly possible. I get a spam telephone call at approximately the same time on exactly the same day every week but from a different spoofed number in my own area code and exchange code. I also get spam calls that use my own number as the caller ID.

lilvixen

Post by lilvixen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:59 pm

I had a similar issue last week: someone called me with my area code and prefix and said they missed my call and were returning it. I said I didn't call them, and the phone call got awkward. I verified my call log didn't have their number and remembered all the recent calls I've been ignoring from my same area code and prefix. I called T-Mobile to alert them that I'm being spoofed, and they made a note in my account, but there was nothing else they could do.

I believe spoofers are through the internet, and it sounds like they're using blocks of phone numbers, not necessarily part of a breach. If you find a fix let us know, but I remember a decade ago when I was in web development, there was nothing we could do about spoofed email addresses. I imagine spoofed phone numbers are the same.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 pm

About 3 months ago I started getting junk calls from random numbers with the same first 6 digits. I will get half a dozen in a week then nothing for a few weeks. Rinse repeat. I do not see what you can do about it. In my case, I believe they are coming from out of the country. I guess too many people no longer answer blocked numbers or numbers from unknown areas.

I do not think it has anything to do with a security breach. The people using your phone number have no idea who you are and do not care. They just use the first 6 digits of the number they are calling and add 4 random numbers to the end of it to create the number that they exhibit in the caller ID. It is not going through your cell phone account or T-Mobile at all.
Last edited by Katietsu on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm

I've seen this many times before here. I've actually seen spam calls on my home landline that caller ID identified as coming from my home landline!

I've also seen many, many calls lately in which the area code and exchange (first three digits) were the same as my number. This is part and parcel of the new tricks spammers are pulling these days. I'm not aware of anything one can do about this.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:21 pm

I've had my number spoofed. Phone rang, and the caller ID showed MY phone number. Ugh.....hate robocallers. They even spoofed my health care provider's name and phone number, and when I answered it was the recorded credit card rate scam. :evil:

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Definitely sounds like spoofing.

I spoof numbers all the time, actually (for legitimate purposes). I have a phone system at home that lets me enter any outgoing caller ID information I want prior to making a call. When I want to make a business call from my home phone and not have the recipient see my home number, I enter the business number of the business I'm calling on behalf of.

So I can sit in my apartment and call a patient, but the caller ID is from the hospital's clinic line. That way if they miss the call they don't end up calling my home, which in the past has happened on more than one occasion.
-- Real name: Sotirios Keros. If you have to ask "Is a Target Retirement fund right for me?", the answer is yes.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Neighbor spoofing; here is an NPR Planet Money transcript:

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/31/540515367 ... -robocalls

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Unless you are in sales, there is no reason to answer a call from an unrecognized number. Remember that when you answer a spammer's call with your voice, that instantly raises the market value of your number when they sell it to other spammers. It's like a thief who rings your doorbell first to see whether anyone is home.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Okay so I called verizon, and got a really nice person. As soon as I started explaining the situation, she knew exactly what I was talking about. She said it happened to her boyfriend recently. The only suggestion she had was to go to a corporate store and get a new SIM so that my SIM info would change even though my # would not. So I just got home from doing that. I don't fully understand how that can help even though I had her explain it. I read there are free apps where you can just put in the # you want to display on the caller ID, and the scammers could be doing that. I never use public wifi or anything like that. Since my original post, I found a bunch more threads on the same issue, including recent ones, so it seems to be rampant.

student

Post by student » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for the post. I learned something.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Perhaps they figured out that the shown ID of local and national town names did not work, so they went the new way of copying the first 6 numbers. We got those calls too, but we do not pick up phone anyway when we don't know the person or number. We answer when there is a reasonable recorded message. We got calls with ID and phone number shown being those from real local people, checked that via Google, but none ever left a message, so we assumed it was spam. Perhaps the next is them using Police or Fire Dept. as ID.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:21 pm
I've had my number spoofed. Phone rang, and the caller ID showed MY phone number. Ugh.....hate robocallers. They even spoofed my health care provider's name and phone number, and when I answered it was the recorded credit card rate scam. :evil:
I get that all the time. I don't answer calls from someone I don't know -- or myself.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:02 pm

greg24 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for this. I have been getting a lot of these lately. I know it's spam, but it's disconcerting to see the first 6-digit is always the same number. Good to know I'm not the only one getting these.

I have a habit of not picking up my cell phone unless I know exactly who's calling, and even so, unless it's my spouse, I often just let it go to voicemail. I have prepaid so I don't want to un-necessarily waste my minutes :D For those spam / robocalls, after the first time I add them to a special contact (e.g. call it "spam") that I set the ringtone to none / silent and force it to directly to go to voicemail. Then the only thing I see is a missed call.

AC

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 pm
It is certainly possible. I get a spam telephone call at approximately the same time on exactly the same day every week but from a different spoofed number in my own area code and exchange code. I also get spam calls that use my own number as the caller ID.
I've been getting the "my area code + my exchange + changing number" calls on my cell phone several time a week for many months now. No message is ever left. I don't answer calls on the cell that I don't recognize. I screen all calls on my landline ("We're not here or we're screening calls ...") and won't pick up until someone starts to leave a message. Needless to say, I am not bothered by scams. (The notorious British-accented "Steve Martin from the IRS" did call and leave and overwrought recorded message once on my landline. That was good for a laugh.)

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:38 pm

We got a call from a guy a few weeks ago asking us why we had called him. Needless to say we never called him. Checking his callerID revealed he was on the same exchange and area code as we were. Checking my VOIP account history he had called us on the second of our two phone numbers assigned to us by our VOIP. I assumed somebody spoofed our number to him so I just had our VOIP company cancel our second number since we never use it. He won't be calling us back.

I got a call to my cell phone that appeared to be a spoofed callerID since it had our exchange and our area code, so I didn't answer it. Then the next day the same exact number appeared as the callerID again. Thinking this must be someone real, this time I answered. I got caught as it was a robocall trying to sell me an extended warranty on my car. Never again.
There’s many a slip ‘twixt the cup and the lip.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 am

News Flash: The Caller ID system is not secure. LOL. I became aware of this in the early 2000s when I was the administrator and programmer of my employer's PBX. I could stuff whatever numbers I wanted into the CallerID field. It was a matter of trust. If you could afford a $$$$$ phone switch, "they" trusted you to be ethical.

Now a $1000 PC and the right SW is all it takes to be a "phone switch". This puts significant capabilities into the hands of idiots with not much risk of loss and lots to gain.

With many new technologies, security comes later in the product development life cycle. In the early days, the focus is just on making basic functionality work.

Same thing with PCs. WordPerfect didn't automatically save your work. DOS didn't have account logins and passwords. Access Control Lists didn't exist.

Same with CARS. No seatbelts. No airbags. No crumple zones. No safety glass windshields. Just engine, accelerator, brakes (maybe), steering wheel, bench seat and go!

The phone system is evolving too. It will get better.

Luckily, these lessons are not being lost. More and more products are being designed from the beginning with security in mind. The future is so ___ you'll have to wear ____, maybe. 8-)
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 am

Cell phones and Number Portability didn't help the situation either.

In the old days, pretty much all phone numbers with the same area code and exchange (first 6 digits of a 10 digit number) were all connected to the same phone switch. And that phone number was hard wired to that switch. Made authentication easy. Trace the wire down the street and see where it ends!

Now, a phone number has no direct relation to a location, or even a phone carrier.

I've ported my cell phone number between three different carriers over the years.

And I now longer live in the geographic area that is traditionally associated with the area code.

I just answer the phone and see who's there, or let the machine answer. No big deal. I don't get worked up about it.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am

You really can barely answer the phone at all these days. 90% of the calls are spam. Never pick up unless you absolutely recognize the name first.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 am

rgs92 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
You really can barely answer the phone at all these days. 90% of the calls are spam. Never pick up unless you absolutely recognize the name first.
Sometimes it is CVS saying my RX is ready! :(

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:19 am

I get first-six digit spam calls all the time and learned a long time ago not to call the numbers back as they were spoofed - landline and all cell phone lines. Whoever thinks a call is originating from you will soon learn that spoofing is common. Just don't answer and block the number if they keep calling.
Spammers use your first 6 digits because people are more likely to answer when the number looks local.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 am

This happens all the time. My cell phone block list is full and I can't add any more entries.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:03 am

It is wicked easy to spoof any number and use it as a caller ID outgoing. My son did it (to prove he could) when he was 13. Also did the same thing with email outgoing address (so you look at the email address of an incoming email and it's whatever he chooses). A sim card change wouldn't help the way he did it (your telephone number doesn't change, right?).

Sorry, I have no answer how to avoid this besides not answering.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am

For those getting spam and robocalls there are apps for that. If you have land line phone via internet provider, many of those give you option to use “nomorobo”. It works very well. Eliminates almost 100% of robocalls. You get one brief ring but then no more.

There are also apps for mobile phones. I use robokiller.

If you have old style phone company landline then you are SOL.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am

Like several others in this discussion, I get the same-first-six-digit spam calls all the time on my cell phone. The last four digits appear to be random. They don't appear on spam number lists, because they're not re-used consistently. They're just used to target similar numbers, because it makes them seem legit. And I'm sure if I tried calling one back I'd get a random confused person like the OP.

FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:27 am

tibbitts wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 am
This happens all the time. My cell phone block list is full and I can't add any more entries.
I think the system needs to move from a black list model (list every number who can't call you) to a white list model (only authorized phone numbers get through, everyone else gets voicemail).

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 am

JBTX wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am
For those getting spam and robocalls there are apps for that. If you have land line phone via internet provider, many of those give you option to use “nomorobo”. It works very well. Eliminates almost 100% of robocalls. You get one brief ring but then no more.

We use Nomorobo for free on our VOIP line, works very well. Unfortunately Nomorobo for mobile costs $ so we do without. For mobile we use the [do not recognize-->do not answer-->block number] method. We are too cheap, or too frugal. Take your pick.
There’s many a slip ‘twixt the cup and the lip.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 am

There is a well-known scam that has been running at least a year (well-before the Equifax hack), where the scammers spoof phone numbers with the same area code and first three numbers as the person they are calling. Then they claim to be from a local hotel or travel business and say the victim has won something. The scam goes on from there if the victim does not hang up. Sounds pretty similar to what you described.

This particular scam randomizes the number that they spoof, so it's very likely that you are not the victim of the scam, the people calling you are. You just happened to be the unlucky owner of the random number the scammers selected to spoof when contacting this particular victim. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless this victim turns into a harasser themselves.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm
Okay so I called verizon, and got a really nice person. As soon as I started explaining the situation, she knew exactly what I was talking about. She said it happened to her boyfriend recently. The only suggestion she had was to go to a corporate store and get a new SIM so that my SIM info would change even though my # would not. So I just got home from doing that. I don't fully understand how that can help even though I had her explain it. I read there are free apps where you can just put in the # you want to display on the caller ID, and the scammers could be doing that. I never use public wifi or anything like that. Since my original post, I found a bunch more threads on the same issue, including recent ones, so it seems to be rampant.
Changing your SIM card won't help with spoofing. It would only help if someone had cloned your SIM card, which is highly unlikely to have happened. I hope you were not charged for the service.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 am
Changing your SIM card won't help with spoofing. It would only help if someone had cloned your SIM card, which is highly unlikely to have happened. I hope you were not charged for the service.
Nope, it was free. I figured it wouldn't help, but not hurt either.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 am

FinanceGeek wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:27 am
tibbitts wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 am
I think the system needs to move from a black list model (list every number who can't call you) to a white list model (only authorized phone numbers get through, everyone else gets voicemail).
I already have this on my iPhone - it's called Do-Not-Disturb. Only callers in my address book are allowed to ring-through, others go to voicemail. I'm sure Android must have something similar.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am

CaliJim wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 am
rgs92 wrote:
Or the doctor's office rescheduling my appointment, again. :shock:

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm
I've seen this many times before here. I've actually seen spam calls on my home landline that caller ID identified as coming from my home landline!

I've also seen many, many calls lately in which the area code and exchange (first three digits) were the same as my number. This is part and parcel of the new tricks spammers are pulling these days. I'm not aware of anything one can do about this.
Yes, I have been showing up on the caller ID as calling my self - always tempted to pick up to see what I have to say :mrgreen:
And lately calls with ID supposedly from a local source have been coming through
Never answer and they never leave messages.
Setting # block (on a Panasonic phone it is a one button process) shuts out the call :happy
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:07 am

S&L1940 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Yes, I have been showing up on the caller ID as calling my self - always tempted to pick up to see what I have to say :mrgreen:
And lately calls with ID supposedly from a local source have been coming through
Never answer and they never leave messages.
Setting # block (on a Panasonic phone it is a one button process) shuts out the call :happy
Unfortunately, most of the calls I get now are of the "same area code and exchange" type, with the last four numbers varying apparently at random, so it's impossible to put a block on them.

AT&T allows us to set up a "whitelist" of numbers that we will allow to ring through and block the rest. I am trying to convince DW to go along with this. She is hesitant, though, thinking that perhaps one of her co-workers (who do call here occasionally) or some member of the family that we didn't include on the whitelist might try to call and be blocked. I hope to reach a meeting of the minds down the road. :wink:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:11 am

Same as others. I get these many times a week. There is no point in blocking. They change the last 4 digits every time. AT&T has a free service called Fraud Protect and it catches some of the known spammers but none of these spoofed calls.

Don’t answer from anyone you don’t have in contacts unless you’re expecting an important call you don’t want to miss and don’t have the incoming number. My condo’s property management company blocks their number from being recognized by caller ID so I get “caller unknown.” Annoying! If I put in a maintenance request I will answer caller unknown until they contact me. Any number with the same area code and first 3 digits is always spam in my case. I have an unusual first 3 digits on my phone and no contacts with the same. I just got another spoofed number spam call about an hour ago. That makes 5 in the last two days. They’re relentless.

winner23red

Post by winner23red » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:39 pm
Someone called me three times this morning. I ignored the first two attempts and picked up on the 3rd. Their phone number had the same area code as mine and same first three digits after area code. They told me that I kept calling them. I told them I did not. They said someone kept calling them with my number, making sales calls. I told them again, I've never called them. They said maybe someone is spoofing your number and hung up. This is kind of scary, especially in the midst of the Equifax nonsense. Has anyone experienced this where someone calls you claiming you keep calling them? I found a thread on verizon (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/929989) and sprint (https://community.sprint.com/t5/Service ... d-p/872026) complaining of the same exact issue. Doesn't sound like a ton can be done from the thread responses. The FTC has a complaint form for spoofing, but none of the options allow you to report this specific problem above. You can report receiving a spoof call, but the problem here is the person that called me is the one that received the spoof call.
Same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. This person who was apparently spoofed via my number called my LAN line back and left a threatening message. He was no doubt very upset thinking I was harassing him. I thought about contacting the police due to the nature of the call and decided just to block him from being able to contact me again through my LAN line number. I haven't had an issue since. As for receiving spoofing calls myself displaying the same first six digits as my number, yes it does happen and I never answer those calls. There's really nothing else you can do other than ignore them.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm

JBTX wrote:

I have had nomorobo for nearly a year after I changed my landline provider to be internet-based. It has reduced the junk calls by about 2/3. Many junk calls still get through, some with "Private Caller," some with spoofed local number like what is being discussed in this thread. Others I report to nomorobo so they can add them to their database. I often look up the incoming number in 800notes.com to see if there are other complaints about it.

I get lots of junk calls including those local spoofed numbers on my cell phone, too. I have no call-blocking feature on it and I begin to recognize the common local spoofed ones. About 90% of the cell phone calls I get are junk ones, many for the previous owner of the cell phone number (and I have had the number for nearly 3 years).

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:33 pm

greg24 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:29 pm

I remember listening to that podcast -- what a great episode. I particularly liked the part where the Chairman of the FCC got a spoofed call on his work phone that looked like it was coming from the office :oops:

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:14 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:07 am
Unfortunately, most of the calls I get now are of the "same area code and exchange" type, with the last four numbers varying apparently at random, so it's impossible to put a block on them.

AT&T allows us to set up a "whitelist" of numbers that we will allow to ring through and block the rest. I am trying to convince DW to go along with this. She is hesitant, though, thinking that perhaps one of her co-workers (who do call here occasionally) or some member of the family that we didn't include on the whitelist might try to call and be blocked. I hope to reach a meeting of the minds down the road. :wink:
For those "local numbers" I give them one free shot, I do not answer and when they hang up as my voicemail kicks in without leaving a message, I may give them one more try and if the second call is also a hang up then I start blocking. Even if they do not repeat the same spoofed number (random spoofing) I will simply review my 'Caller ID' list and if there is a bunch of calls in the same format, they start going onto the junk/trash/block list.
I am hoping that Publisher's Clearing House would take the trouble to knock on my door with my check...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:32 pm

scrabbler1 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm
JBTX wrote:

I have had nomorobo for nearly a year after I changed my landline provider to be internet-based. It has reduced the junk calls by about 2/3. Many junk calls still get through, some with "Private Caller," some with spoofed local number like what is being discussed in this thread. Others I report to nomorobo so they can add them to their database. I often look up the incoming number in 800notes.com to see if there are other complaints about it.

I get lots of junk calls including those local spoofed numbers on my cell phone, too. I have no call-blocking feature on it and I begin to recognize the common local spoofed ones. About 90% of the cell phone calls I get are junk ones, many for the previous owner of the cell phone number (and I have had the number for nearly 3 years).
I'm not sure why, but we hardly ever get any junk calls with the nomorobo anymore. You'll hear it ring a several times a day, one ring then done. I used to get the same types of calls you are referring to, but i don't get them anymore. Do you have an option to "block anonymous calls" through your phone provider? Also, we have the option to block up to 50 numbers - but since getting nomorobo I haven't added anybody to the list in months.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:24 pm

nomorobo still lets many of the calls come through. A rough estimate is that nomorobo blocks about 60% of the spam calls (my observation).
It appears that nomorobo is particularly weak with those calls from my local exchange.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Haven't had this happen since my original post, but just now my Hiya app came up with a number with my same area code + first 3 digits. I just ignored the call, and no VM was left. I'm wondering if like the first time, if this was a real person who thinks that I called them because someone called them spoofing my #. Frustrating.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm
Haven't had this happen since my original post, but just now my Hiya app came up with a number with my same area code + first 3 digits. I just ignored the call, and no VM was left. I'm wondering if like the first time, if this was a real person who thinks that I called them because someone called them spoofing my #. Frustrating.
Nah, if they were a person that received annoying calls with your #, I am thinking they would have left a strong message
Get some same area and same three digit exchange # calls, I ignore them and if they repeat I block them
Thing is these robo calls keep changing the last four digits!! but never leave a message

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:33 pm

CaliJim wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 am
rgs92 wrote:
RiteAid calls me from about 4 different numbers to tell me stuff about my prescriptions. I have added those numbers to my phone book as Incom RiteAid. I have a bunch of Incom entries, those I know to pick up but not use to call.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm

My flip phone has a Reject option which is like hanging up and a Silence option which shuts off the ring but the call goes to voice mail. I tend to use the Silence one on the theory that a real person will leave a message.

Is one or the other of these better to not tip off spammers that the phone is active?

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm

from the Washington Post magazine:
'How robo-callers outwitted the government and completely wrecked the Do Not Call list'
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
It's not very optimistic that any solution is on the horizon, but at least a few are trying.
Now, on the horizon — perhaps — is a moonshot called Caller ID authentication, which would function like the blue Twitter check mark that verifies a user’s identity. Developed by a consortium of telecom providers, it’s being tested by AT&T, Comcast and others. It may or may not see the light of day in 2018.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Telemarketers are forging the area code and prefix in caller ID to make calls look like a legitimate person you gave the number to. I get those calls with some regularity, and have had at least one person return the call to me for this reason. This is likely illegal but I have no idea how it would be reported. I suspect the calls with forged caller ID originate overseas.

Moreover, some financial services are using caller ID as a (thus invalid) authentication mechanism.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm

We simply do not pick up any phone calls with a phone number showing we do not know, if it is spoofed or not. For weeks now again those probably fake IRS people are calling with their fake Washington phone number.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 pm

I get these phone calls all the time -- same first 6 digits as my phone number. I'm just in the habit of declining them....