When the cold wind comes, I go where the dahlias bloom

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
baconavocado

When the cold wind comes, I go where the dahlias bloom

Post by baconavocado »

It was quite cool this morning in my area. I was wondering if there are many snowbirds on this forum and if so, when do you move south? Do you enjoy the snowbird lifestyle? How long have you being doing it?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: When the cold wind comes, I go where the dahlias bloom

Post by Sandtrap »

Northern Arizona to Hawaii.
As often as I get homesick. :(
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I am not a snowbird but many of them in my area start heading out in November. They need to be out of here for enough time to avoid being classified as a resident for state income tax purposes. Some will wait until December.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Toons

Post by Toons »

The Migration has already started towards South Florida :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

The magical license plate color change is already happening in Arizona :)

Was sitting at a stop light yesterday and 4 out of 8 plates that I could see were from out of state. South Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois and Missouri.
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

I haven't begun the snowbird thing yet but plan to not long from now. When would I leave? After I've cut down, dug and put my dahlia roots away, of course.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Not attempting to hijack the thread, but while we're talking about "snowbirding," I'm curious about some things. What style of home do you keep in either location? If you have a stand-alone house in the north (which many empty-nest retirees still might have), do you have someone maintain it while you are down south (snow removal, checking for freeze issues, etc.)? Or do you have it winterized by a plumber? Also, homeowner insurance policies may not cover a home which has been vacant for 14+ days. If the house catches on fire or a tree comes down on it while the snowbird has been in the sunny south for a couple a months, he/she may be out of luck, coverage-wise. There is a similar insurance concern for a southern home vacant for months in the summer (fire, hurricanes, etc.)

Snow-birding may be in my future some day soon, or I may just decide to sell everything, pack-up and get the heck out of the northeast icebox for good. Just trying to figure out the logistics.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

samsoes wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:55 pm Not attempting to hijack the thread, but while we're talking about "snowbirding," I'm curious about some things. What style of home do you keep in either location? If you have a stand-alone house in the north (which many empty-nest retirees still might have), do you have someone maintain it while you are down south (snow removal, checking for freeze issues, etc.)? Or do you have it winterized by a plumber? Also, homeowner insurance policies may not cover a home which has been vacant for 14+ days. If the house catches on fire or a tree comes down on it while the snowbird has been in the sunny south for a couple a months, he/she may be out of luck, coverage-wise. There is a similar insurance concern for a southern home vacant for months in the summer (fire, hurricanes, etc.)

Snow-birding may be in my future some day soon, or I may just decide to sell everything, pack-up and get the heck out of the northeast icebox for good. Just trying to figure out the logistics.
I'm curious about how this works also. I think it would be great to divide time between two places (although I'm not quite sure we can afford it yet), and why not move with the weather?

I'm not sure I could take the politics or lifestyle of Florida or Arizona though, so I would probably consider a different sunny locale, maybe outside the US.
island

Post by island »

I'm also curious how people do it. What is your primary residence and who takes care if it while you're gone? I know a few who leave their adult children in charge and they are starting to resent as their the parents time away increases and they have a lot of responsibilities of their own.
We're in S California which has a great climate, but no family here so I think of moving closer to family in retirement. Would be nice to keep our home for snowbirding. Affordable, but how to manage it when empty would be a problem.
Nice climate elsewhere is a consideration, but as someone else mentioned I don't think I could hack the political leanings in AZ or FL
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:03 pm ...I'm not sure I could take the politics or lifestyle of Florida or Arizona though...
I wouldn't plan on running for office or otherwise getting involved in local politics. I'd just want to escape the hell which is winter here in the northeast. Each year it seems to get more and more difficult for my aging self.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

samsoes wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm
baconavocado wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:03 pm ...I'm not sure I could take the politics or lifestyle of Florida or Arizona though...
I wouldn't plan on running for office or otherwise getting involved in local politics. I'd just want to escape the hell which is winter here in the northeast. Each year it seems to get more and more difficult for my aging self.
+1
My aging self just needs health and comfort. The folding lawn chair doesn't differentiate lifestyle or politics whether on Kailua Beach in Hawaii, or in the beautiful lakeside National Forests of Northern Arizona, or the shores of Southern California. When the cold comes, my snowbird spine needs to get warm.
I kept a condo rental in Hawaii so I could do some "snowbirding".
Hawaii No Ka Oi :D
island

Post by island »

Agree, but if DH and I were somewhere for 6mos, I'd hope to meet some people I could socialize with or have a conversation. I have relatives that live in The Villages in Fl for several years and are thinking of moving because political conversations dominate and an alternate opinion or the desire to not talk politics is unacceptable to many.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

samsoes wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:55 pm Also, homeowner insurance policies may not cover a home which has been vacant for 14+ days. If the house catches on fire or a tree comes down on it while the snowbird has been in the sunny south for a couple a months, he/she may be out of luck, coverage-wise.
Is this true? If i travel for vacation (and stay in hotels in multiple places for 15 days), then my home insurance dont cover if we are not living in it for more than 14 days?
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Great topic. Wife and I talk about this too. Would love to hear some BH's tell how it's done. Up north for Hurricane Season, down south for Blizzard Time. I love Florida, but we miss Fall & would like to miss Summer Monsoon season.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Topic Author
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:50 pm
+1
My aging self just needs health and comfort. The folding lawn chair doesn't differentiate lifestyle or politics whether on Kailua Beach in Hawaii, or in the beautiful lakeside National Forests of Northern Arizona, or the shores of Southern California. When the cold comes, my snowbird spine needs to get warm.
I could definitely handle both the politics and lifestyle of Hawaii, but it's a very long flight and very HCOL.

What about Chile? Also a long flight but a different and interesting culture, nice park system, and lower COL than Hawaii and probably even FL or AZ.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

niceguy7376 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 pm
samsoes wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:55 pm Also, homeowner insurance policies may not cover a home which has been vacant for 14+ days. If the house catches on fire or a tree comes down on it while the snowbird has been in the sunny south for a couple a months, he/she may be out of luck, coverage-wise.
Is this true? If i travel for vacation (and stay in hotels in multiple places for 15 days), then my home insurance dont cover if we are not living in it for more than 14 days?
It is for my Amica policy. YMMV. Check with your carrier.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

HI is very high COL, but it is where we live. We just go on trips to visit people and places, not due to weather (tho we do keep weather in mind when making travel plans).

Another issue some of us need to be concerned with, especially as we age is healthcare and providers. I like to be able to get in to see them sooner than later and it is a struggle to find and keep great ones (several of mine are retiring).

I haven’t check med my homeowner’s or fire policy about our home being vacant when it incurs damage because we are off on vacation and we have traveled for 5 weeks at a time.

Have heard of folks who offer their home for rent on Airbnb but that doesn’t appeal to us at all.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

HIinvestor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:07 pm HI is very high COL, but it is where we live. We just go on trips to visit people and places, not due to weather (tho we do keep weather in mind when making travel plans).

Another issue some of us need to be concerned with, especially as we age is healthcare and providers. I like to be able to get in to see them sooner than later and it is a struggle to find and keep great ones (several of mine are retiring).

I haven’t check med my homeowner’s or fire policy about our home being vacant when it incurs damage because we are off on vacation and we have traveled for 5 weeks at a time.

Have heard of folks who offer their home for rent on Airbnb but that doesn’t appeal to us at all.
I have a friend in Lanikai who does AirBnb and travels a lot and likes the setup. Another friend in Kailua who tried it a little and didn't like it. Another in Hawaii Kai who does VRBO and it's working out. Has a couple of them.

You're right about healthcare. In Hawaii, Kaiser and HMSA is down the block from nearly anywhere. Tough when abroad. Ditto. All my docs are retired or going to be. I'm ready for medicare next year so that would be nice if travelling thru the US. More coverage.
Yes. HI is ultra HCOL, but, it is always home.
Hawaii No Ka Oi.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

We snowbird from Washington to the Palm Springs area, drive down starting Oct 31st. We fly home in early December for Christmas, then back to the desert on New Year’s Day and stay until the last week in April. This has been our routine for 10 years, although we’ve owned our snowbird home for 17 years and used it part time before fully retiring. Our snowbird ( freestanding) home is about 1600 sf, small lot, gated over 55 community.

We don’t rent it out, but friends and family are welcome to visit while we’re there. We chose the Palm Springs area because our medical during our working years was with Group Health, which had reciprocal with Kaiser. And our Medicare Advantage plan is with Kaiser.

I’ve used VRBO when traveling and have had great experiences. Extended family rents a large house in Ashland for 4 days each year to enjoy the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. And when traveling with friends have rented very nice apartments in Paris and old Avignon for much less than a hotel would cost.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

baconavocado wrote: ...I'm not sure I could take the politics or lifestyle of Florida or Arizona though...
...I could definitely handle both the politics and lifestyle of Hawaii, but it's a very long flight and very HCOL.

What about Chile? Also a long flight but a different and interesting culture, nice park system, and lower COL than Hawaii and probably even FL or AZ.
Wow, can't take the politics in Florida or Arizona, but Chile is OK--really?
Topic Author
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Frugal Al wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:48 am
baconavocado wrote: ...I'm not sure I could take the politics or lifestyle of Florida or Arizona though...
...I could definitely handle both the politics and lifestyle of Hawaii, but it's a very long flight and very HCOL.

Wow, can't take the politics in Florida or Arizona, but Chile is OK--really?
From Wikipedia: "Chile is today one of South America's most stable and prosperous nations. It leads Latin American nations in rankings of human development, competitiveness, income per capita, globalization, state of peace, economic freedom, and low perception of corruption."

Maybe you're thinking of the Chile of the 1990s?
btenny

Post by btenny »

You guys are ill informed about politics. It is all local. I live in Arizona and Lake Tahoe northern California and have homes in both places. My Arizona neighborhood is very liberal and many of my California friends are gun toting conservatives. We never talk politics and I will not talk it here. We talk about skiing and hiking and bad roads and crazy vacations and lots of other fun stuff.

I spend spring and fall in Arizona and winter(for snow skiing) and summer (for boating and hiking) in Tahoe. I keep up both places via year round helpers. I have a yard person who blows the snow in my driveway in winter and mows lawns in summer in Tahoe. I have a year round yard guy in Arizona. I soft winterize each place when I leave for long periods. I have talked with my insurance people and they say this is fine and normal for lots of people. Yes it is very expensive but I can afford it and it sure is a fun life style.

I also have suffered through doctors retiring and moving and my changing needs. I now have doctors in three states. The issue I have is getting the various doctors to work together and how the small town facilities will work long term.

Good Luck.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

btenny wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:43 pm You guys are ill informed about politics. It is all local. I live in Arizona and Lake Tahoe northern California and have homes in both places. My Arizona neighborhood is very liberal and many of my California friends are gun toting conservatives. We never talk politics and I will not talk it here. We talk about skiing and hiking and bad roads and crazy vacations and lots of other fun stuff.

I spend spring and fall in Arizona and winter(for snow skiing) and summer (for boating and hiking) in Tahoe. I keep up both places via year round helpers. I have a yard person who blows the snow in my driveway in winter and mows lawns in summer in Tahoe. I have a year round yard guy in Arizona. I soft winterize each place when I leave for long periods. I have talked with my insurance people and they say this is fine and normal for lots of people. Yes it is very expensive but I can afford it and it sure is a fun life style.

I also have suffered through doctors retiring and moving and my changing needs. I now have doctors in three states. The issue I have is getting the various doctors to work together and how the small town facilities will work long term.

Good Luck.
Well said.

Broad stroke comments about this state or that state do no good. I couldn't think of a way to say it, but you can find what you are looking for or not looking for everywhere. :|
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

I've been a snowbird since 1999. I have a co-op apartment in New York and a condo apartment in Miami Beach. I depart for Miami post bogleheads conferences and leave for New York at the end of the Miami Heat season. Thanks, Mr. Bogle for your guidance in making it possible.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

island wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:11 pm
Agree, but if DH and I were somewhere for 6mos, I'd hope to meet some people I could socialize with or have a conversation. I have relatives that live in The Villages in Fl for several years and are thinking of moving because political conversations dominate and an alternate opinion or the desire to not talk politics is unacceptable to many.
Well that's a bit odd.
In Real Life, as they call it, you can discuss your preferred political issues to your heart's desire, as much as you want.
The rules of Bogleheads forum do not apply IRL...
Attempted new signature...
island

Post by island »

The Wizard wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:26 pm
Well that's a bit odd.
In Real Life, as they call it, you can discuss your preferred political issues to your heart's desire, as much as you want.
Of course, but what's "odd" is when it gets to the point that people are obnoxious and fighting about it with raised voices and name calling in social situations. That's not a civil discussion or "real life" I want to be a part of.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

Try before you buy! We did Florida in 2016 for February and March, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale hated it, too much traffic, crowded, rainy weather. Tried Phoenix/Scottsdale in 2017 and loved the area, going back in 2018 in a condo via VRBO.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:22 pm Northern Arizona to Hawaii.
That sounds like a pretty tough lifestyle. :wink:
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

F150HD wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:47 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:22 pm Northern Arizona to Hawaii.
That sounds like a pretty tough lifestyle. :wink:
It is very very difficult. :(
In Northern Arizona I'm surrounded by 4 National Forests and land and lakes forever, but no ocean, no beaches, no bikinis. So I get homesick.
In Hawaii, (kailua) I'm surrounded by white sand beaches and nothing but clear green blue ocean, and a familiar culture. But, after awhile I get "rock fever" and long for open land cattle and truck country.
DW doesn't mind if I keep a foot in both worlds. The cultures are 180 apart. (and also what's on the news). :D I manage.
Thanks to the "Boglehead path", it is affordable. :D
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:56 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:50 pm
+1
I could definitely handle both the politics and lifestyle of Hawaii, but it's a very long flight and very HCOL.

What is the crime rate in Chile?

Air pollution would be a problem in some places (bad for lungs).

Don't know what the healthcare situation is. I imagine you would need insurance?

Long flights are ok if jetlag is minimised. Jetlag seems to get worse not better as one ages.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

island wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:16 pm
The Wizard wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:26 pm
Well that's a bit odd.
Of course, but what's "odd" is when it gets to the point that people are obnoxious and fighting about it with raised voices and name calling in social situations. That's not a civil discussion or "real life" I want to be a part of.
This is a familiar problem. It is disconcerting but also quite real.

Miami would have the "right" politics but don't buy there. Just do not. I can tell you why via pm.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I don't snowbird and I don't plan to. I've lived my life in the temperate zone and love the four seasons, including winter. It keeps things interesting and also gives you a perspective on time.

Not to say we wouldn't take a short jaunt from time-to-time to a tropical zone, but only for vacation.

I also resist the idea of owning two homes. I think that when you're living in one of them you'll always be worried about the other one, the one you're not in at the moment.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Taking care of two homes and managing the upkeep is our major challenge with snow birding. There are always things that we want to improve or change or to make some repair. We stayed in Tahoe late this fall to handle bat infestations. I had to find the right bat pest person and get quotes and schedule the work and wait for it to be done and so forth. That takes time. Same for our Arizona home. We redid the kitchen back when and had to stay way into summer much longer than we wanted to let contractors finish the work. Right now we want to redo the master shower but have postponed it 2 years due to scheduling issues.

Likewise we are always needing clothes or tools or decor items that are at our other place. So we end up buying two of lots of things. So now I have lot of extra wardrobe clothes as it is too complicated to take the "right stuff" back and forth. I just buy extra and leave them. Same for tools, I now have two of many items. But it is really a lot easier now that I hire most yard work.

Good Luck.