Medicare Part D sign up

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CWRadio

Medicare Part D sign up

Post by CWRadio » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Is better to sign up for Medicare annual Part D on Medicare.gov or the insurance company web site? Thanks Paul

GerryL

Re: Medicare Part D sign up

Post by GerryL » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:22 pm

I have always gone through Medicare.gov. This year I will be switching insurers, and I plan to do it on the Medicare website, but I will be keeping my eye out for notification that the company I am departing cancels the auto-pay feature. I think an advantage of going through the Medicare site is that they communicate with both companies. And besides, I'm already there when comparing plans.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:29 pm

CWRadio wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 pm
Is better to sign up for Medicare annual Part D on Medicare.gov or the insurance company web site? Thanks Paul

Drill down the the choices on medicare.gov and then check your math on the carriers website because there are data input errors on medicare.gov and they are not responsible for any bad data.When drilling down the options on medicare.gov enter your current pharmacy but also run comparison with the other big pharmacy chains because different carriers use different preferred pharmacies and that can skew the lowest cost plan results .Look for drug restrictions such as step therapy and PA required.Compare what you can buy generics for on www.goodrx.com first because sometimes they are much cheaper than using the part D plan and by paying cash you also preserve your intial coverage which helps to prevent reaching the coverage gap.Using the goodrx strategy may skew the lowest cost plan results on medicare.gov as well

Once you have decided which plan you think is best I would still consider using the carriers telesales agent (most independent agents will not be willing to do it for the part D business only, because you will have recourse if their is an error made that you wouldn't have if you DIY.

CWRadio

Post by CWRadio » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:10 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:29 pm
CWRadio wrote:

Drill down the the choices on medicare.gov and then check your math on the carriers website because there are data input errors on medicare.gov and they are not responsible for any bad data.
I took your advice and compared the drug I use (ADVAIR) on Medicare.gov and the insurance web site (https://envisionrxplus.com/)
The retail price of the drug was $609 on Medicare.gov and $294 on the insurance site. This caused the Medicare site to put me into the coverage gap (doughnut hole) which resulted in giving me incorrect information on the total yearly cost of the drug.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 pm

CWRadio wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:10 pm
cashmoney wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:29 pm
CWRadio wrote:

Drill down the the choices on medicare.gov and then check your math on the carriers website because there are data input errors on medicare.gov and they are not responsible for any bad data.
I took your advice and compared the drug I use (ADVAIR) on Medicare.gov and the insurance web site (https://envisionrxplus.com/)
The retail price of the drug was $609 on Medicare.gov and $294 on the insurance site. This caused the Medicare site to put me into the coverage gap (doughnut hole) which resulted in giving me incorrect information on the total yearly cost of the drug.

Glad to hear it helped.Another thing you may notice is that the carriers contracted cost for Advair may between different pharmacy chains - and sometimes even between the different locations of the pharmacy within the same city.