Is it difficult to switch from an iPhone to an Android?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 am

I promised Mrs. letsgobobby a new phone, including the iPhone X if she wants it. She’s been on apple phones forever and curently has a 6 with battery degradation issues. It seems like the X is a sharp looking device, but many claim the top Android phones offer more for the (same) money. I won’t convince her to switch to save money, but she’d consider it if the changeover is easy and if the Android device is substantially better. What do you think?

Also, I just bought myself a replacement Android phone, a Moto G5 Plus. It gets good reviews as a budget phone and cost just over $200. However, it only has 32 gb of memory and 2 gb of RAM. For $299 I can get 64 gb/2 gb. For about double, or $600, I can a Google Pixel. However I think the G5 Plus might do all I need. I usually keep my phones 3-4 years and don’t do anything requiring a lot of power, but on my 16 gb phone I’ve run out of memory to update apps, etc, even though I bought an SD card which holds my photos. Which phone should I get?

mmmodem

Re: Is it difficult to switch from an iPhone to an Android?

Post by mmmodem » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 am

I switched over to an LG G6. I've only had iPhones not counting the company Blackberry. I can tell you the switch has been difficult. Mostly, it's the day to day tasks that have changed that bugs me. Say for example, I want to copy and paste. It's a few more presses on Android for some reason. Taking a number in number in Yelp and calling it are a few more presses. Even using Google Maps which is on both platforms requires more presses. However, there are a lot of positives going to Android as well such as automatic location unlocking and ability to use Google Voice number as my dialer so I can have two phone numbers.

Conclusion? DW has an iPhone 6s. I am not moving her off Apple. If she wants to switch, that's her decision. I have better things to do with my life than to hear DW say, "I listened to you and I got this phone. Now, how do I do x or y? It was so much easier on iPhone." I switched to Android to save money. I like it and will stay with Android.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:28 am

I've had both, in several revision levels. Both do the job, namely make and receive phone calls, access the Internet, take pictures, etc. Most major apps are available in versions for both platforms. I think it just boils down to your individual preference.

I just moved from an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy J3/2006) to an iPhone (SE), not because I prefer iPhone to Android but because my Samsung Galaxy didn't have the hardware features to access international roaming in some of the regions I plan to visit soon. I had no difficulties moving, and other than the roaming feature (and the fact that Samsung should be smacked around for making a phone that constantly wakes itself up from snooze when you put it in your shirt pocket) I wouldn't have minded at all staying with the Android phone.

All this is to say, no, other than the inevitable learning curve when switching from one operating system to a different one, it's not hard. If you do switch, I think you'll find that it'll serve the purpose.

Disclaimer: I am not an Apple fan, especially given their tendencies to break things with their OS "upgrades" that I use daily. To be fair, Android phones have their occasional quirks as well.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] I'd let her pick and if she's already been with Apple for a while, chances are she'd like the X as well. :D

Which platform is 'better' depends on the price point. (You already mentioned you're not looking to save money so this may not matter to you.) A $200 Android phone is going to be twice as good as a $200 iPhone - 2x the memory, 2x the storage, 2x better camera. But at the $1000 level (iphone X vs Note8), things are pretty even.

Reasons to pick Apple

- You like the Apple ecosystem (you let iTunes run your life, you have a Mac at home, you like the Apple app store...)
- The single button works for you
- All your friends have one (my son's excuse for picking Apple, he got 2 free stickers and was thrilled :wink: )
- Enjoy a more consistent Look & Feel to the operating system and interface

Reasons to pick Android
- You like the Google ecosystem (Google maps, Drive, Gmail, other Google apps...)
- It's useful to have three 'buttons' on your phone (Home, Back, Menu)
- More hardware capability for the $$ at lower price points

If you decide to do it, here's how to switch:
https://www.android.com/switch/

My reasons for picking Android:
- I love having three 'buttons' to control the phone! This feature alone is enough :D
- I must have a stylus now that I've had a Note3. I'm a list maker, I hope Samsung never kills the Note line.
- The Google system is great. I use Gmail on all my computers and Google Maps is wonderful (pretty sure you can get them for Apple too)
- Everything is more flexible. If I don't like the main switcher/launcher I can just install a different one.
- Android hardware is second to none
- I can still get a headphone jack on Android! 8-)

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:46 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am

Reasons to pick Android
- You like the Google ecosystem (Google maps, Drive, Gmail, other Google apps...)
- It's useful to have three 'buttons' on your phone (Home, Back, Menu)
- More hardware capability for the $$ at lower price points
I have used both extensively and I would agree with what previous posters have said. The switch isn't that big a deal if you find it easy to change to new things technology-wise. I would never recommend the switch to my in-laws, for example, because they get very frustrated when things change.

Also, many Android devices are slow to get OS updates or stop getting them. Please, please, please only get a flagship Samsung or Google phone if you pick Android. That way, you won't be stuck with a device where you have to wait months (or longer) for the latest security update or major OS update.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am

I figured. x it is.

for me, moto g5 plus?

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:37 am

I switched from a Galaxy S7 to an iPhone 7 because the hearing aids I chose worked better with an iPhone. This is my first iPhone after 3-4 different models of the Samsung Galaxies. I still prefer the Galaxy phone- I really miss the back button and it just seems to run a little faster. There are things that are better on the iPhone, too, but I think we tend to weigh what we have lost more than what we have gained.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:17 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 am
I won’t convince her to switch to save money, but she’d consider it if the changeover is easy and if the Android device is substantially better. What do you think?
Her hand will turn blue and fall off. :mrgreen:

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 pm

One of my kids did the switch and within 2 years, she switched back to IPhone. I think the Android phone is too big for her hand.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Easy - switch back and forth. Email is email and a browser is a browser. Most Apps are available on both. I like the Note Stylus but dislike all of the junky Apps Samsung includes.

student

Post by student » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:42 pm

I have used both. It should not be a big deal switching from one to the other.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Years ago, I tried to switch to Android. I'm pretty tech savvy but felt constantly frustrated trying to learn the new OS and returned the Android phone and bought another iPhone.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
I promised Mrs. letsgobobby a new phone, including the iPhone X if she wants it. She’s been on apple phones forever and curently has a 6 with battery degradation issues. It seems like the X is a sharp looking device, but many claim the top Android phones offer more for the (same) money. I won’t convince her to switch to save money, but she’d consider it if the changeover is easy and if the Android device is substantially better. What do you think?

Also, I just bought myself a replacement Android phone, a Moto G5 Plus. It gets good reviews as a budget phone and cost just over $200. However, it only has 32 gb of memory and 2 gb of RAM. For $299 I can get 64 gb/2 gb. For about double, or $600, I can a Google Pixel. However I think the G5 Plus might do all I need. I usually keep my phones 3-4 years and don’t do anything requiring a lot of power, but on my 16 gb phone I’ve run out of memory to update apps, etc, even though I bought an SD card which holds my photos. Which phone should I get?
Literally just did this exact thing yesterday for my DW... switched her from iPhone 6 with horrible battery issues and "no more photo storage" BS problems, to the new Android based Pixel 2 (not XL, too many reported issues). So far, about 24 hours in, she loves it. Has never used an Android before and has gotten the hang of it pretty easy, likes it better than the iPhone she had, especially the operating system (any lifelong Windows user can get used to Android easily). The Pixel 2 has 64gb storage and Google Photos gives unlimited storage, so she will never have an issues with "too many photos" stored to her phone. Highly recommend the phone, especially if your DW is uncertain about moving from iPhone ecosystem to Android.

We also got about half the Pixel 2 cost covered by trading in the iPhone 6 via the Verizon promotion for it. No-brainer.

FWIW I traded in my Galaxy 6 last month for the Note 8... LOVE IT... incredible battery life (traveling sales rep and never have to charge it during the day, despite calls / txts / email / google maps etc), and love the screen size and amazing screen quality (Infinity Display - Full HD+).
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:18 pm

After decades of using "Android" phones ever since the first "flip phone" and before, I switched to an Iphone 7+ in 2017.
There's no way I would go back to an Android.
I have been assimilated. :shock:

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:19 pm

My brother is not tech savvy at all, but switched to Android after about a decade with the iPhone and said he was amazed at how much easier and more intuitive Android is to him than the iPhone. If anything, I'd only heard the opposite previously, so I thought that was pretty noteworthy.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:40 pm

had android once. never again. ever. too hard to use and limits productivity.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:07 pm

letsgobobby wrote:

Yes, no, maybe.

It might help if we knew what she used the phone for. Take a look at the settings and list the top 3 apps for the following:

Settings -> Battery
Settings -> General -> About -> iPhone Storage
Settings -> Cellular Data

Most users can adapt to both, but a few items tie you to the Apple Ecosystem. Do you use Macs? Apple Watch? iMessages (blue bubbles)?

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-the-iphon ... g-android/

BTW, Google Photos (unlimited storage/limited resolution) works with both.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Why an iPhone X? I had an iPhone 6 that I sold and got and iPhone 8. Cost wasn't a factor as I could easily have paid for the X. I didn't see a need for the fancy stuff on the X. And the 8 experience is the same a 6. It works. Also, it is available today, no waiting.
Best Wishes, | Joe

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:13 am

I think it depends on a persons adaptability. I’ve always used iPhones. My daughter had also used iPhones/iPods etc but wanted to switch to Samsung s7. She made the switch and mostly likes it. From the little bit I ever go on her phone or my sons low end android phone I just can’t stand it (he almost exclusively uses an iPad anyway) I have to take it to the computer and start googling how to do basic things. When you figure out how to do it just seems less intuitive. Perhaps if i stuck with it for 6 months I’d be ok with it.

I’m really annoyed Apple did away with the separate headphone jack. My feelings are somewhat irrational because I don’t use them that often but that still bugs me. I have a iPhone 6 which works fine other than battery dies in a heartbeat. I’m not sure what I’ll do next. Maybe upgrade to a 7 when they become cheaper. I’m not going to pay anything close to $1000 for a damn phone.

It does seem like it takes an awful long time for my daughters Samsung to charge.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 am

sambb wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:40 pm
had android once. never again. ever. too hard to use and limits productivity.
Had iphone once. Never Again. Too hard to use (due to its limited configuration/function) and hugely limits productivity (couldn't do things that are easy to do on Android like look at others calendars on work email server, etc. - all functionality very limited).
Also - since iphone is always behind the curve on technology (was still on 3G when others had 4G; finally came out with wireless charging when others have it for years; etc.) its a no-brainer for me to go with Android.

OP: Personally I don't think switching back and forth is hard but if your wife is against making a change and not willing to learn something new - I wouldn't force it. Apple and Android are different enough that if you use one - there will be a small adjustment period to switch to the other.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:44 am

I've had both and would vote for the Android. Doesn't have all that icky proprietary Apple software, plus I like my headphone jack. But it's whatever her preferences are, when it gets down to it....

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:02 am

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 pm
Why an iPhone X? I had an iPhone 6 that I sold and got and iPhone 8. Cost wasn't a factor as I could easily have paid for the X. I didn't see a need for the fancy stuff on the X. And the 8 experience is the same a 6. It works. Also, it is available today, no waiting.
I’m considering doing the same. I’m not sure that facial recognition will be my cup of tea, nor that the lack of a physical home button will prove to be a good idea in V1. OLED should be great; I have 2 OLED TVs, and I don’t watch video on my phone.

The reason I’m delaying is that I don’t want Apple to profit from screwing up Waze/GPS and battery life in iOS 11.0.3. If you haven’t updated yet, wait for 11.1, at least. Also, I can’t decide between 8 and 8Plus.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:04 am

For us, switching to Apple has been the best technology decision we ever made.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:14 am

letsgobobby wrote:
I think it depends primarily on which ecosystem you like better...Apple or Google? I was an iphone user until about 2-3 years ago when I switched to a Samsung Android phone, and I think it was a good decision. I much prefer the Google ecosystem with Gmail and Sheets and Calendar, etc., and I like the Android OS, and now I use a Pixel XL and I really like that phone.

I think that it is better to be "all in" with one ecosystem or the other. For example, if you have an ipad but you have an android phone, you will experience compatibility issues, and the same is true for any combination of Apple / Google devices.

I do vaguely recall an issue with the switch, my number was in the imessage database so whenever someone with an iphone texted me, it would go through imessage by default instead of the SMS system, but since I was no longer on imessage, I would not get the texts. I vaguely recall that there was a process to tell Apple to take my number out of their imessage system and the problem resolved.
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

davidlhanson

Post by davidlhanson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 am

DW and I both have iPads and I have an Android phone (Nexus 6P). It would be difficult for DW to switch to Android as any small change in how something works on her iPad causes frustration.

I need WiFi calling as my home has a metal roof with no cellular signal inside. I don't believe that iPhones do wifi calling (without using a 3rd party app like Talkatone) but my Android phone does Wifi calling.

On the negative side for Android - the smartphone manufacturers that make Android phones don't support their phones as long as Apple does. Google gives only 2 years of Android version changes and up to 3 years of security changes. I believe Apple is at least twice as long which effectively lowers the price of the iPhone. I don't want to have a smart phone that isn't be update with security patches considering all hackers trying to break into phones.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am

davidlhanson wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 am
On the negative side for Android - the smartphone manufacturers that make Android phones don't support their phones as long as Apple does. Google gives only 2 years of Android version changes and up to 3 years of security changes.
Google guarantees 3 years of Android version updates for the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2 XL.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... te-804779/
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 am

davidlhanson wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 am
I need WiFi calling as my home has a metal roof with no cellular signal inside. I don't believe that iPhones do wifi calling (without using a 3rd party app like Talkatone) but my Android phone does Wifi calling.
I forget when it became available (on Verizon, at least), but we use WiFi calling at home on our iPhones.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 am

Lynette wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:39 pm
Easy - switch back and forth. Email is email and a browser is a browser. Most Apps are available on both. . . .
Agree completely. People over think and make switching harder than it has to be. It's like investing. Brokers want you to think it's complicated, but any high school grad of average intelligence can figure it out.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 am

Purchasing a Nexus 5x through Google project fi is $280 and it's a top of the line phone (finger print sensor, nice camera, great display). Pixel two is 650. Been using project fi and it's really nice if u travel internationally.

I switched to Android after the iPhone 3g. Android is much better imo.

My wife sometimes jokes about wanting an iPhone but knows our frugal living is more important.

dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:42 am

Back in the day I had an Ipod Touch and simple flip phone. Wanted to combine phone with wi-fi so I got Moto G4. The Android phone seemed a lot faster for browsing internet but came with issues. I seemed to be getting lot more ads and it became a nuisance. Also, by pressing the volume buttons in a certain sequence the settings would revert back to manufacturers settings. So why have password protection. Probably biggest difference between Apple Ipod Touch and Moto G4 was the tactile feel of the phone. The Apple product felt like quality all over, while the Android felt it was very fragile. Purchased a reconditioned Iphone 7 and right away I again felt the level of quality in my hand. I guess I am just a touchy feely kind of a guy willing to accept the lower performing Iphone vs. the Android.
Fond memories are the best investment

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 am

for me, moto g5 plus?
I'm very happy with mine. I got the one with more memory (more $) but with the Amazon discount for having ads. I find the ads to very non-obtrusive, so it was worth it for me.

The best thing about the Moto line of phones is the battery life.

Disclosure: I've never had an iPhone.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am

Not sure why you would want to switch to save a few dollars, and I would never even consider switching from my iPhone.

iPhone is what got use started with Apple, then we got iPads, and now we have two MacBooks.

Apple quality is to me the industry standard period.

m

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 am

Iphone sucks. Customization is limited. Hardware is subpar. Technology is about 2 yrs behind flagship Android. Options to do stuff isn't supported. Basic stuff like sharing/exporting files to many program is just not supported. One button only lmao... Yea, I won't buy apple anytime soon. The problem with a lot of people who tried Android is they cheap out and buy a budget android device thinking this cheap android device will compete with Apple $900 phone (it won't). If you buy current Android flagship, they are better than iPhone.
Last edited by Momus on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 am

marc515 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am
Not sure why you would want to switch to save a few dollars, and I would never even consider switching from my iPhone.

iPhone is what got use started with Apple, then we got iPads, and now we have two MacBooks.

Apple quality is to me the industry standard period.

m
For me, the difference between an Apple iPhone versus an Android phone was over $50 per month for a similar plan. My Apple unlimited plan was actually $105 per month per phone for two phones. Now on Android on Republic Wireless come up my last phone bill was $14. Very significant.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:33 am

I used an iPhone 5s for almost 4 years and recently switched over the Android because I use the Google ecosystem a lot more than Apple's between gmail, maps, drive, photos and other Google products. One of the biggest differences I've noticed is that the Android can be customized a lot more than an iPhone if that matters to you.

I do miss the true "home button" from my old 5s iPhone, however all phones (Apple and Android) appear to be ditching that. :annoyed

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:42 pm

gunn_show wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm
.....Google Photos gives unlimited storage, so she will never have an issues with "too many photos" stored to her phone.....
You think Google is actually giving you something? As in, for free? Google charges the same price for their phone as a comparable iPhone, but they also own your data for their benefit. They own all of your photos, and they use them for their purposes, advertising, whatever. There is no expectation of privacy. I pay Apple $2.99/month with discount iPhone gift cards to get my total down to about $2.20. For this, I get hundreds of gigabytes of personal cloud space for my photos and data and they are mine alone. It's amazing that Google gets away with charging the same premium prices as Apple for their phones given what they do with your personal information. Probably a better business model? I don't know.

kjvm

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Momus wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 am
Iphone sucks. Customization is limited. Hardware is subpar. Technology is about 2 yrs behind flagship Android. Options to do stuff isn't supported. Basic stuff like sharing/exporting files to many program is just not supported. One button only lmao... Yea, I won't buy apple anytime soon. The problem with a lot of people who tried Android is they cheap out and buy a budget android device thinking this cheap android device will compete with Apple $900 phone (it won't). If you buy current Android flagship, they are better than iPhone.
Your information is so far off that I don't know where to begin:

Technology 2 years behind? The iPhone 8 A11 Bionic is years ahead of anything in any Android. It's a desktop class chip in a smart phone. Apple has been consistently ahead of other phone makers by a wide margin. Everyone is always catching up to them.

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ap ... enchmarks/

Sharing and exporting files? iOS 11 has the "files" feature which allows you to access files on the storage, share, and export. This works with most cloud providers, including Google Drive.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-im-lov ... in-ios-11/

Android device makers have been copying the iPhone since they came out. They have at times added gimmick features that are new to the market to try and claim they are "ahead of the iPhone." Apple waits until new technology matures a bit and then integrates it. It's such a smooth experience, they work to keep it that way.

kjvm

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:58 pm

[/quote]
For me, the difference between an Apple iPhone versus an Android phone was over $50 per month for a similar plan. My Apple unlimited plan was actually $105 per month per phone for two phones. Now on Android on Republic Wireless come up my last phone bill was $14. Very significant.
[/quote]

lightheir,
Can you explain those numbers, and the differences in plans, as it doesn't look like you are comparing oranges to oranges!

Something just doesn't ring right, you were paying $210 for 2 iPhones on Apple Unlimited Plan (I didn't know Apple offered cell phone service?), but now you are paying only $14 for 2 Android phones on Republic Wireless? I don't know of any carrier who offers a similar to unlimited plan for 2 phones for $14 a month.

m

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:13 am
I’m really annoyed Apple did away with the separate headphone jack. My feelings are somewhat irrational because I don’t use them that often but that still bugs me. I have a iPhone 6 which works fine other than battery dies in a heartbeat. I’m not sure what I’ll do next. Maybe upgrade to a 7 when they become cheaper. I’m not going to pay anything close to $1000 for a damn phone.

It does seem like it takes an awful long time for my daughters Samsung to charge.
I use the headphone jack, but most people don't, and the space and weight that it takes up inside the phone is substantial, and additionally water leakage issues. Apple is betting that wireless is here to stay and they're making a commitment towards that. AFAIK, Apple has been right more often than wrong, and I'll adapt.

BTW, long charging times are often caused by underpowered adapters. Make sure you're using a QC3 power supply.
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/quick-charge-3

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:30 pm

I personally wouldn't switch, after asking friends for their experiences of switching.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:37 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm
JBTX wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:13 am

I use the headphone jack, but most people don't, and the space and weight that it takes up inside the phone is substantial, and additionally water leakage issues. Apple is betting that wireless is here to stay and they're making a commitment towards that. AFAIK, Apple has been right more often than wrong, and I'll adapt.

BTW, long charging times are often caused by underpowered adapters. Make sure you're using a QC3 power supply.
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/quick-charge-3
The headphone jack really shouldn’t be an issue for me but it is for my daughter. She wears headphones quite often and constantly fails to charge her batteries so quite often she is using her Samsung while charging her phone with a portable charger and listening to headphones all at the same time. That simply isn’t possible with the new Apple configuration and only one port for a cord. Not being able to charge your phone and listen to headphones is a significant limitation in functionality IMO.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:37 pm

The headphone jack really shouldn’t be an issue for me but it is for my daughter. She wears headphones quite often and constantly fails to charge her batteries so quite often she is using her Samsung while charging her phone with a portable charger and listening to headphones all at the same time. That simply isn’t possible with the new Apple configuration and only one port for a cord. Not being able to charge your phone and listen to headphones is a significant limitation in functionality IMO.
There's an adapter for that, with an inline splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBear-Lightn ... g+splitter

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:17 am

Well, as usual there is a wealth of opinions. Our family all had iphone 5 as our 1st smart phone. A few years later, we all switched to OnePlus One, an android.

Since then, S has switched back with me to IPhone 6s and D and H have stuck with One Plus phones 3 and 3s.

It’s all personal preference. To me, phones are something that the person who will be using should be happy with. I never could get my Android to cut and paste reliably, which I found extremely annoying. I know it can be done and can be better customized and there’s more options, etc., but I find iPhone just easier to use. D and H just strongly prefer their android and S also likes iPhones. We all have PCs and several of us have iPads as well.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 am

stlutz wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 am
for me, moto g5 plus?
I'm very happy with mine. I got the one with more memory (more $) but with the Amazon discount for having ads. I find the ads to very non-obtrusive, so it was worth it for me.

The best thing about the Moto line of phones is the battery life.

Disclosure: I've never had an iPhone.
Thank you - I’m not too worried about processing speed, moreso the memory. My current phone has 16 gb of memory and is constantly running out, because it contains many gigs of bloatware I don’t want and can’t get rid of. So 32 gb is great, I think, if there is just want I need and want on the phone. If only 16 gb is usable I should probably go for the 64 gb. My justification is by saving $80, in the future I can buy a new phone about 6-12 months sooner for the same price that I’d be paying for the bigger phone now...

wander

Post by wander » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 am

The only big deal is to move photos from Iphone to Android or the other way around. But it seems easy nowadays. Otherwise, some people just like the Iphone Podcast and cannot get the show or podcast they want to listen on Android podcast replacement app. Switching is easy, but are some features that you will miss.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 am

letsgobobby wrote:
That's really more a matter of the individual than the 2 options. I have no problems switching but I'm an IT analyst with a lot of tech experience not just professionally but in my personal life as well. My wife, her parents and others seem to have more difficulty switching with her parents having the most trouble. They generally find IOS to be easier to use.
letsgobobby wrote:
Also, I just bought myself a replacement Android phone, a Moto G5 Plus.
You know your wife better than we do and you have an Android device. Hand it to her and see how well she adapts to doing things she normally does on her iPhone. Better is always highly subjective. It doesn't matter if one or the other is better for us. It's what's better for her. Given that she has been on IOS for years there's going to be a lot of momentum to overcome in getting her to switch is my guess.
letsgobobby wrote:
It seems like the X is a sharp looking device, but many claim the top Android phones offer more for the (same) money. I won’t convince her to switch to save money, but she’d consider it if the changeover is easy and if the Android device is substantially better. What do you think?
In a nutshell they both are both capable of the same things but, again, you need to also consider the individual and not just the device. If I had to make a guess without more information or knowing your wife it would be that you would be much happier leaving her on IOS versus the $ savings. It's why my wife is on IOS. It's why I'm on IOS. Yes, I can deal with and troubleshoot my own phone but I do fix other people's problems all day at work and the last thing I want to do is futz my phone after I leave the office. I'm not saying that IOS doesn't have issues but Apple does produce both the hardware and the software and there is a benefit to that in terms of stability, OS updates, etc. Ease of use is generally a bit better with IOS though Android isn't difficult to use.
letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 am
My current phone has 16 gb of memory and is constantly running out, because it contains many gigs of bloatware I don’t want and can’t get rid of.
You might want to look at Google's own devices. Though more capacity is a bandaid fix for that.
Momus wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 am
The problem with a lot of people who tried Android is they cheap out and buy a budget android device thinking this cheap android device will compete with Apple $900 phone (it won't). If you buy current Android flagship, they are better than iPhone.
I've tried high end Androids a number of times and don't find them better. YMM certainly V given that better is a subjective matter. Everyone does not have the same priorities, preferences, etc. Never assume that what's best for you on any topic is universally best. For some, an Android drive is a better fit. For others, it's not.
c.coyle wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 am
People over think and make switching harder than it has to be. It's like investing. Brokers want you to think it's complicated, but any high school grad of average intelligence can figure it out.
You don't determine ease of use with youngsters. You use older people to determine that. Kids can figure out anything given that they're growing up with this stuff.
Last edited by takeshi on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 am

I didn't read all of the replies but does Apple still have the issue with holding your telephone number hostage for texting? I can't remember all of the details but you basically have to call them to remove your number from your iTunes account.

mxs

Post by mxs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

letsgobobby wrote:

I have a much older Android phone (Droid RAZR M) with only 8gb memory, and a 32gb sd card. I am close to full on the 8gb memory with apps/updates. Does the newer OS and your apps really take an additional 24gb of memory? In other words, are you sure you have your sd card set up properly to handle more of the space? I have mine the default for pictures/videos. On some versions of phones you can move whole apps to the sd card. That may be worth looking into.

Also, my wife has an old iPhone 4S, and putting movies on there through iTunes was a horrible experience. I much prefer that an Android phone plugged into a computer acts like a simple hard drive. In general, you have a lot more control with Android, which is nice if you want/use it. If not, and you want simplicity, iPhone is probably what you want.
Last edited by mxs on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

crswvc

Post by crswvc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 am

Is it difficult to switch from an iPhone to an Android? Yes

Once one is using the ecosystem of Apple (iTunes music, paid for apps, iCloud) then switching becomes difficult.
However, if one only uses it for calling and the free facebook app then not much different.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am
I figured. x it is.

for me, moto g5 plus?
I went from iPhone 5 to Moto G4 16Gb and will never regret it. The 2 Gb of RAM are never an issue for me. I purchased a 32GB SD for cheap. Go for the Moto G5 Plus instead of any flagship phone and invest the difference in an index fund.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"