dishwasher recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
seashell

dishwasher recommendations

Post by seashell » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Could you recommend a good dishwasher you've had good experiences with?

My current dishwasher is "water saving" but takes a very long time to run and to be honest, I'm not certain how truly clean the dishes are coming out. Now it seems that things aren't getting cleaned at all. I did a test of my top rack. I put a paper towel inside a mason jar and let the dish washer run. The paper towel inside did not even get wet! The sprayer holes do not appear clogged. Seem like they are rotating. The jars aren't immensely tall or narrow, and in fact are "wide mouth," and it just doesn't seem like the water is getting inside the glass.

Are there any dishwashers these days that aren't "water saving" that do a good job cleaning?

Or are there any dishwashers, water saving or not, you really like that do a good job cleaning?

Are there any features you've liked about your dishwasher?

Thanks in advance.

WhiteMaxima

Re: dishwasher recommendations

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Bosch

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm

My favorite have been Kenmore - I've had two. least favorite was Bosch - too small for our household.

We have a GE now - came with house - it is OK - but we really have to rinse dishes well.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Call up your local appliance repairman and see what brands they service and what brands they recommend. Here in the midwest you can't get any parts for anything LG so even if they make the best machine ever, I wouldn't buy one.

I currently own a KitchenAid and it still does a good job but some of the wash cycles have quit functioning after several years. When we bought it around four years ago, we used the eco-sense mode that sensed when the dishes were clean and stopped. Sometimes took over two hours for a load. The button stopped functioning after about a year. The same thing happens on a couple other rarely used cycles. Currently we've been using the 1-Hr clean cycle. I don't notice any difference in the cleanliness of the dishes but the 1-Hr cycle is definitely faster.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm
Bosch
+1. Have had mine for 13 years.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:37 pm

wow -- sounds like something has to be wrong.

every dishwasher i've owned has cleaned like it should. i won't get a maytag again, though, it had a design flaw that required that the door latch be replaced ever 12-18 months. the repair guy had seen this issue at other homes.

mgensler

Post by mgensler » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Checkout Miele. They cost more than Bosch but are much better built. Bosch puts a lot in marketing and less in quality parts.

excelongt

Post by excelongt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Just got a new one a fewe weeks back. If you are sensitive to sound (our last dishwasher was ridiculously loud), I recommend the GE Model GDT695SSJSS

Its practically silent. I cant even tell if it's on when I'm standing right next to it. The cleaning performance has been an 8/10

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 pm

I replaced a 12 year old Asko with a Bosch 800 series (SHPM78W55N) earlier this year. After using for six months, not sure that I would get another Bosch. I mean, it cleans very well and is very quiet and because I had the Asko, I was used to the drying and interior and rack issues. But the Asko was just a beast re. water temp. and sanitizing. (Although I've taken to running all of my loads with the Sanitize option on the Bosch, I'm not sure that it is quite the same thing.) I priced an Asko, but would have run me another 300 or 400.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 pm

We like GE because of the way the racks are organized. We tried a Whirlpool once and returned it (for full refund) because we couldn't get used to the racks and it didn't dry the dishes well. Our GE dishwashers have be reliable lasting 10+ years.

I think that preferences for dishwashers are very personal based on how they're used, what people are used to and priorities like saving energy and water, etc. You'll probably sense that in this discussion as it continues.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Whatever the brand, I think it is definitely worth paying extra for the "quiet" models. I never realized how much noise a standard dishwasher makes until we got one that was supposed to be the quietest model available at the time. Sometimes when I hear the soft beep from the kitchen signaling the cycle has been completed, it takes me a few moments to connect it to the dishwasher because I had forgotten it had been turned on.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:19 pm

We have a GE for more than 8 years I believe, should only have lasted 6, because that is the average for all. We use it every 1 1/2 days. It runs well, though could use now new racks, but those are not available or much too expensive. We rinse our dishes well, have done that always, not because of this washer. I think we will buy a new GE when this one needs a repair finally.
Quiet model, ha, can not hear any noise without hearing aid.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm
Whatever the brand, I think it is definitely worth paying extra for the "quiet" models. I never realized how much noise a standard dishwasher makes until we got one that was supposed to be the quietest model available at the time. Sometimes when I hear the soft beep from the kitchen signaling the cycle has been completed, it takes me a few moments to connect it to the dishwasher because I had forgotten it had been turned on.
...and I couldn't possibly care less how much noise it makes - turn it on when you are leaving the home. Once you get past the absolute basic models, by far the biggest determinant of dishwasher cost is how quiet they are; they all clean similarly well (which isn't that well).

alrick

Post by alrick » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 pm

We have a GE....came with the condo 17 years ago and has been excellent. It's a bit more noisy than newer models, but I like the sounds of a working machine!

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Bosch :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

margered

Post by margered » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Do you have silverware basket with tall utensils that block the upper spray arm from moving? Have you loaded the bottom rack with pots and bowls hollow side down that blocks the lower spray from getting up to the top rack? Newer machines are meant not to pre-rinse in the sink. The sensors think the dishes are clean and calculate a short cycle. You can google why not to pre-rinse.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:37 pm

+1 for Miele. On our second, first lasted 22 years (not a typo). Expensive for sure but they work amazingly well and are extremely durable. They build to a "gold standard" versus a price point. We love ours!

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I have an odd problem with my current GE dishwasher that I haven't had on previous dishwashers. I am not sure how one can tell if a dishwasher is prone to this. If someone knows, I would like to know so I can avoid it in the future.

The tines on the racks rust and the coating sloughs off. Replacing the racks costs hundreds of dollars. There is a coating and caps sold for repairing this, but really it should not happen.

Update: I see that someone else is complaining about the GE racks above.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:47 pm

My GE dishwasher had a serious design flaw (IMO). There were these little rubber boots at the bottom of the door probably to prevent leakage.

The mold would collect in and around there and the boots would rot. Eventually it lead to me replacing the dishwasher. I assumed this was because I had a lower end dishwasher but found the same boots on one of the higher end models. My GE stove was crap too, and I kick myself for waiting so long to replace it.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:49 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm
Sometimes when I hear the soft beep from the kitchen signaling the cycle has been completed, it takes me a few moments to connect it to the dishwasher because I had forgotten it had been turned on.
If one doesn't like beeps, some GE models let you turn that off "permanently." Push Heated Dry five times in three seconds does it. Needs to be redone after power failures. I envision some GE engineer who likes quiet hacking this in in secret :-)

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm not sure I would go with a Bosch again. A high end Bosch came with our current house. I liked it a lot, but it was only 5 years old before it completely broke. We decided to go with a lower end Bosch. I hate it. It has a weird configuration and my dishes and bowls don't fit quite right. It has broke several drinking glasses. There is no dryer or garbage disposal, and I have come to realize that we really need one with a disposal. It is very quiet, but you can't see or hear that it is on 95% of the time. Each of us have been splashed because we opened the door while it was going. The display is impossible to see because it is on the top of the door and our counter overhangs.

On our next dish washer, I will pay more attention to the configuration and extras like garbage disposal and cleaning cycles rather than brand.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Miele! We had one in our rental home in Germany and replaced the dishwashers in the last two homes we bought in the States with a Miele. Other than the purchase bills, we've had no regrets.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm

We lost a Kenmore and GE because the "computer" mother board went out. We went with Bosh because I was told Bosh is the only dishwasher where the computers are not made in China. I admit I did not verify that statement or find out where the boards are made. They are quiet but the downside is that the Bosh does not seem to hold as many dishes.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:16 pm

We recently bought a Kitchenaid KDTM354DSS from Best Buy. It seemed to be about the highest rated by Consumer Reports. It was about $900 with "free" installation. We got it to replace a 8 year-old Kitchenaid with similar features that developed leaks. We've had it a couple of months and we're happy with it, it's very quiet.

Consumer Reports seems to have moved a lot of their detailed product reviews to their website, the printed magazine seems to only include a few models with cursory details. I thought it was worthwhile to subscribe to the website for 1 month (around $7) to check out the detail reviews, I have to say they saved us a lot of time in thinking about features. The website evaluated over 100 models.

If you're going to have a retailer install it for you it seemed to us that Best Buy worked out the best at the time. Some retailers charge less for the appliance, like a dishwasher, and then nail you for the delivery and installation charges. I think Lowes had a deal where you got the installation charge back on a Lowes gift card. It seemed that they all worked out to similar costs when you added it all up but that Best Buy was just a whole lot simpler for us. Of course the deals change all the time. There tend to be good deals on appliances near major holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas. YMMV
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 pm

I bought a GE from Costco last month (GDT695SGJ2WW). I've been happy with it so far. Much quieter than the 13 year old Kenmore it replaced, and it has cleaned everything I've put in it so far. The unheated drying performance has been so-so, as expected, but I don't mind having to grab a dishtowel to dry off a few things, so I'll probably leave the heater turned off.

FraggleRock

the best dishwashers

Post by FraggleRock » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Asko
Miele
Thermador (the better Bosch)
Bosch (spend at least $900 USD to get a quieter one)

You MUST use the detergent AND rinse agent recommended by the manufacturer.
All will take a long time due to Energy Star requirements. Learn to run it at night.
Bosch have a "secret" option which can be activated to provide better drying.

mouses

Re: the best dishwashers

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:35 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 pm
Asko
Miele
Thermador (the better Bosch)
Bosch (spend at least $900 USD to get a quieter one)

You MUST use the detergent AND rinse agent recommended by the manufacturer.
All will take a long time due to Energy Star requirements. Learn to run it at night.
Bosch have a "secret" option which can be activated to provide better drying.
I use Seventh Generation powder. I have no idea what GE recommends, but the 7th Gen works fine. I use about half the capacity of the holder, since I read that detergent manufacturers recommended amounts are too large. Same with laundry detergent. I use no rinse agent.

I never use heated dry, just leave the racks pulled out to air dry.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Frisco Kid wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:37 pm
+1 for Miele. On our second, first lasted 22 years (not a typo). Expensive for sure but they work amazingly well and are extremely durable. They build to a "gold standard" versus a price point. We love ours!
But check whether there are authorized repair shops in your area. There were none in my area (although there is an authorized retailer), so I got a Bosch.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Maybe for another item, but where did you all buy the dishwasher?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:14 pm

I changed out my old dishwasher for a "energy efficient" one a couple of years ago. I immediately noticed that not only did the dishwasher run longer, it didn't clean as well and it was terrible at drying plastic items. I spoken to others that have noticed the same thing.
My sister has a Kitchen Aid and loves it. Mine is a Samsung and I've never been happy with it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Miele with Miele tablets (split in half for each load, about $23 for 60 * 2 = 120 washes on Amazon)

Nothing like it. It's like it was custom designed to hold my dishes and flatware, yet I know it wasn't. Everything comes out clean. We have the feature that pops the door open to let the dishes air dry.

It does take a long time to run (about 2 hours).

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm

When we remodeled kitchen a few years back, we went with the cheapest Bosch (in stainless steel).
We loved it !!! It's very quite, and gives an excellent wash on the quick cycle (40 min).
When we moved to a new house (new for us, built 30+ years ago, the old dishwasher was the first thing we replaced (that thing was loud and did not clean anything), we went with the Bosch again.
Very quite, efficient and the dishes come out clean every time.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:24 pm

pondering wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm
Maybe for another item, but where did you all buy the dishwasher?
There's a very reputable local business that I bought from. I don't even go to their store when I need a new appliance. I just consult with them over the phone, look at stuff on the web, order it over the phone from them and a day or two later they're in my house installing it.

This was after I got burned by the other local appliance store, which is run by a pack of crooks, in my opinion.

I am not a fan of big box stores. I know Lowe's hires out installations to just about anyone apparently, and it's impossible to find any one in the store hierarchy if there is a problem. Call in any ask for the manager and you randomly get one of five people, all of which seem to have long term memory problems.

seashell

Post by seashell » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 am

Thank you everyone. I will be shopping for dishwashers this weekend so all your responses are tremendously appreciated.

to answer the question--good ideas but no, nothing was sticking up and preventing the rotation, and there are 2 sprayers--one 4 each rack.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:25 am

I bought a Bosch a couple years ago and it is ok. I do wish it had a heat drying function - as it is I have to dry everything if I want to empty it within a few days of running it. I only run it about once a week or every ten days and it is super quiet which I like. The cycle time is long at almost three hours. Dishes seem to get clean.

seashell

Post by seashell » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:11 am

Wow! Cycle time is three hours!

Are there any good dishwashers that have cycle times of an hour or so or no? Does that not exist anymore?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 am

1) We bought a GE Profile dishwasher about eight or ten years ago and it was really awful. Combine that with bad experiences on two GE microwaves that each lasted only a couple of years before literally going "bang!" and emitting a puff of smoke, and we've pretty well had it with GE. The front panel was replaced three times. The first time, it failed and was replaced under warranty. The second time, the serviceman could't figure out what was wrong (the main motor had failed!) and replaced the front panel first, in hopes that was it, and then didn't charge us for the replacement. The third time it failed we called it quits. Also, it didn't get the dishes clean. Also, for whatever reason, unless you were very diligent about pre-rinsing dishes, anything like stray grains of rice would collect in the upper sprayer and block the holes.

As always, your mileage may vary, I believe the posters who say they like their GE dishwashers.

I believe GE has finally sold off their appliance division. I don't know if they got rid of it because it had gone bad, or if they let it go bad once they decided to get rid of it. GE used to be a gold-standard don't-worry appliance company but something bad happened to it perhaps ten years ago.

2) We bought a Bosch a couple of years ago. We bought a model that had a shallow third rack at the top, which turns out to be sensational for silverware, and in order to get that we were "forced" to get the ultraquiet model as well. So far it's been great. We didn't realize just how bad the GE was until we got the Bosch.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:22 am

seashell wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:11 am

Are there any good dishwashers that have cycle times of an hour or so or no? Does that not exist anymore?
We have the Kitchenaid KDTM354DSS and there's an option for a faster wash. The instruction manual says something to the effect of "Modern dishwashers are designed to be quiet and save water but at the expense of time. Choose express wash if you want it to go faster, but realize it's going to be louder. Dishes get just as clean either way"

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:34 am

Just a side note. I have notice that most people do not make optimal use of their dishwashers.

1. The don't read and follow the user manual.
2. They rinse, wipe, clean their dishes more than necessary before they put them in the dishwasher.
3. They use too much detergent if they have soft water. This can etch glassware.
4. They overload it, which means it's a good thing they washed their dishes in advance :wink:
5. They don't follow the instructions for loading the utensil basket, but no problem if they pre-wash the utensiles :wink: :wink:
6. They pre-wash glassware. This can cause etching. And it adds to item #3 etching.
7. They use the short wash cycle thinking it saves resources. The normal wash cycle may be the resource saving one.

Anyway, the bears somewhat on what constitutes a a good dishwasher for a particular person. Depends on whether they plan to actually expect the dish washer to live up to it's name and actually wash dishes.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Whirlpool for reliability.

1pk3mks

Post by 1pk3mks » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Whirlpool for reliability and layout of machine

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:44 pm

When you are buying a new dishwasher, keep in mind that the newer models are more likely to have a filter that needs periodic cleaning.

There is a trend toward quieter dishwashers, maybe because this is a more popular feature.

Your old model is more likely to have a grinder than a new model. Or if the new model has a grinder then it may be quieter and less reliable. Yoiu may have to be more careful about allowing excess food on the dishes.

As I pointed out earlier, consumers tend to act if they don't expect a dishwasher to reliably wash dirty dishes in the normal cycle. Quietness can be a more important selling point.

seashell

Post by seashell » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank you for all your great ideas!

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:18 pm

seashell wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 pm
Could you recommend a good dishwasher you've had good experiences with?

My current dishwasher is "water saving" but takes a very long time to run and to be honest, I'm not certain how truly clean the dishes are coming out. Now it seems that things aren't getting cleaned at all. I did a test of my top rack. I put a paper towel inside a mason jar and let the dish washer run. The paper towel inside did not even get wet! The sprayer holes do not appear clogged. Seem like they are rotating. The jars aren't immensely tall or narrow, and in fact are "wide mouth," and it just doesn't seem like the water is getting inside the glass.

Are there any dishwashers these days that aren't "water saving" that do a good job cleaning?

Or are there any dishwashers, water saving or not, you really like that do a good job cleaning?

Are there any features you've liked about your dishwasher?

Thanks in advance.
Bosch. We're on a budget, not squeaky tight, but tight enough that we resisted spending he money for a Bosch.Its super quiet and does an excellent job.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 am

Had a Samsung ....never again for their dishwasher. Lots of error codes to deal with and Lowe's bought us out on the second round of repairs to computer boards. New models might be better? We returned to Kenmore (spelled Whirlpool) and have been thoroughly satisfied. Most repair folks I talk to support the solid reliability of Whirlpool!

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:46 am

Bosh. Had it for about 6 years now. With 3 teens, we run it daily. Quiet and does a great job with little pre-rinsing of dishes and basically overloaded every time (see the previous comment about 3 teens :D ). About $800 then if I recall.

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 am

Frigidaire- only drawback is you can't tell it's running, but the dishes come out sparkling :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

FinTruth

Post by FinTruth » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 am
1) We bought a GE Profile dishwasher about eight or ten years ago and it was really awful. Combine that with bad experiences on two GE microwaves that each lasted only a couple of years before literally going "bang!" and emitting a puff of smoke, and we've pretty well had it with GE. The front panel was replaced three times. The first time, it failed and was replaced under warranty. The second time, the serviceman could't figure out what was wrong (the main motor had failed!) and replaced the front panel first, in hopes that was it, and then didn't charge us for the replacement. The third time it failed we called it quits. Also, it didn't get the dishes clean. Also, for whatever reason, unless you were very diligent about pre-rinsing dishes, anything like stray grains of rice would collect in the upper sprayer and block the holes.

As always, your mileage may vary, I believe the posters who say they like their GE dishwashers.

I believe GE has finally sold off their appliance division. I don't know if they got rid of it because it had gone bad, or if they let it go bad once they decided to get rid of it. GE used to be a gold-standard don't-worry appliance company but something bad happened to it perhaps ten years ago.

2) We bought a Bosch a couple of years ago. We bought a model that had a shallow third rack at the top, which turns out to be sensational for silverware, and in order to get that we were "forced" to get the ultraquiet model as well. So far it's been great. We didn't realize just how bad the GE was until we got the Bosch.
This must have been the same GE profile dishwasher I purchased in 2008. It was horrible! It would clog the upper sprayer all the time. I was so sick of removing it and cleaning it so often. The other thing that happened was that the water passageways that route the water to the pump underneath the machine were rubber for some reason, and not very thick rubber. After about 2 years, the water had deteriorated the rubber and started leaking all over my wood floor. I replaced the first rubber piece myself, and then more pieces of rubber in other places would start leaking. After about 3-4 years of constant repairs, I threw it in the garbage. I then purchased a Kenmore that was recommended by consumer reports and had zero problems for the next 6 years until I sold the home. Now using a Kitchenaid in my new home that is about 16 years old and works great. Never buying GE again, and I won't even talk about my GE refrigerator and all the control board problems that were fixed under a recall, but still had me paying a portion of it every time.... The GE appliances I purchased in 2008 were the worst home decision I have made, completely unreliable.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 am

seashell wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:11 am

Water efficiency, energy efficiency, and low noise have driven longer wash cycles. Our Miele is about 2 hours. You'd need a commercial dishwasher to get a one hour cycle.

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm guessing you're looking for below-the-counter, but I love my Sunpentown countertop dishwasher. I've had it for two years, no issues and actually gets the dishes clean. Takes up 2' of countertop in a small rental space that didn't have a dishwasher.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...