bedroom color-current trend?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
omega

bedroom color-current trend?

Post by omega » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

Hi all,

Just curious to see what color folks are using nowadays for interior wall, especially bedrooms. I understand color is a personal choice, but wants to see what out there. I was told gray is the current trend. Also, do you prefer any specific brand of paint over other?

Thanks

Jamieson22

Re: bedroom color-current trend?

Post by Jamieson22 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:16 am

I think Pottery Barn selects current colors each year. I believe Sherwin Williams sells the Pottery Barn colors.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:51 am

Jamieson22 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am
Our master walls:
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... lors&p=PS0
We have looked at a fair number of model house lately. Many of the bedroom walls are either bold colors or some shade of gray/slate/etc.

Also, we noticed that the term "master suite" is no longer used, it is now the "Owner's Suite".

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 am

Jamieson22 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am
Our master walls:
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... lors&p=PS0
I love gray and have it in many areas. It is soothing and feels good. However the trend is also to paint the trims white which of course looks very crisp against gray. We have stained wood, medium shade. I am not sure if this dark gray will go with wood.

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:57 am

The trend is gray, gray and some more gray. It also includes the occasionally pale icy blue or a pale gray green. Also white is supposedly up and coming (or back again, lol) Check Houzz. This is not the place for sound style advice. :)

I'll add we've been using a lot of Sherwin Williams. Much better value than Benjamin Moore.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Gray ugh. Never in my house. Worse than glare white.

Seriously, who paints their house according to what someone declares is fashionable.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Seriously, who paints their house according to what someone declares is fashionable.
People that want to be fashionable. In 3 years it will all shift to something else. I just hope wood paneling doesn't make a come back....

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm

We're going to be redoing our "owner's suite" to a gray, so I guess that is the trend. Our flooring is a dark espresso wood with white baseboards. Should look pretty good!

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm

If anyone is wondering what colors BUYERS prefer, Money magazine had a recent article. If anyone is going to sell and painting anyway this information might be helpful. As I recall, blues and grays were among them..................

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm

mouses wrote:

:sharebeer

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 pm

mouses wrote:

People like me, who are helpless at picking colors. Almost everytime I try picking something on my own, I hate it. Somehow, just looking around and trying to copy what I think I like doesn't work.

We just did some grey with white trim in a kid's room. Repainted the dresser white and put a dark stained wood top on it. I definitely like the overall scheme. I wouldn't have thought of it myself.

I also practically had to fight off the mother-in-law who like you, was adamantly anti-grey for her grandchild.

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:21 pm

mouses wrote:
No Kidding!

It's your bedroom, OP, who cares what's trendy. Who is going to see your choice anyway? Pick what YOU like.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Best to pick a lighter/neutral color that you like. Whatever you pick, it will be "out" next year. Grey's are "it". They won't be it next year.

We have browns and beiges. I like the colors. a mix of darker to lighter in the bedrooms. I'm not repainting to get "it".

Maybe in several cycles, browns and beiges will be in again. Maybe not. I'm still waiting for Honey Oak to be the new trend in wood color. :shock:

Our house is filled with late 90s honey oak. That color was probably in for 1 year tops. Oops.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

I've always loved antique white, it really shows my personality. It gets more appropriate for me with each passing year.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

I put the color on the walls that my wife chooses since I honestly don't care, especially in bedrooms where my eyes are closed the majority of the time.

As far as brand of paint, after using my first can of paint from Sherwin Williams, I will never ever buy another can of paint from a big box hardware store. If I was a better painter, I could get by with one coat even if going from extremely different colors. Not too long ago, I helped someone paint with some paint they bought at Menards. It took three coats and twice as much paint to get the same coverage.

e5116

Post by e5116 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm
Best to pick a lighter/neutral color that you like. Whatever you pick, it will be "out" next year. Grey's are "it". They won't be it next year.

We have browns and beiges. I like the colors. a mix of darker to lighter in the bedrooms. I'm not repainting to get "it".

Maybe in several cycles, browns and beiges will be in again. Maybe not. I'm still waiting for Honey Oak to be the new trend in wood color. :shock:

Our house is filled with late 90s honey oak. That color was probably in for 1 year tops. Oops.
Grays have been "in" for at least the last 3-4 years, so I don't agree that they won't be "in" next year. But I agree with you that these things do go in and out of favor and there are cycles. Beiges were the rage for a while and have been out for a while now. The most recent trend that has caught some fire is the allure of brass fixtures, which people previously thought looked very 80s.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 pm

e5116 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm
The most recent trend that has caught some fire is the allure of brass fixtures, which people previously thought looked very 80s.
Maybe 10 years ago I swapped out all our gold/brass hardware for oil rubbed bronze. I probably should have kept the 80s/90s look items for when they come back in. It is tough to keep up.

Many in our neighborhood are having all their mop board, door trim, window trim removed and re-finished to be the "in" style. It can be $20k+ to do that. Then that will be out in a few years. Vicious cycles.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 pm

mouses wrote:

Someone wanting to sell, maybe? :-)

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Ah, good point. OP may be looking to sell and looking for what's trendy would make sense then.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Not a bedroom, but when I was redoing the bathroom in my rental I had the incoming tenant pick the colors. They picked three different shades of gray. Probably not what I'd pick, but it does seem to be a popular these days.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

chevca wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:39 pm
Ah, good point. OP may be looking to sell and looking for what's trendy would make sense then.
Whenever I've sold a house, I've gone through and painted everything off-white. I've heard that it is hard for potential owners to see potential in a property if they don't like the color. Off-white allows them to imagine the room in the color of their choice that matches their furniture.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 pm

randomguy wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm
mouses wrote:

People that want to be fashionable. In 3 years it will all shift to something else. I just hope wood paneling doesn't make a come back....
Sorry.....
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/yanic-sima ... 97098.html
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 pm

About 4 years ago I had a whole-house refresh/remodel. I'd been wanting gray and pink for many years. Don't care about what's trendy. I ended up with light-to-medium gray walls and pink (dusty rose) accent walls. Woodwork is a creamy white and railings are a dark slate gray. Love it. The light gray changes colors in different light.

I opted to do my bedroom in a slightly darker shade of pink. Only issue for me was that previously the bedroom wall was covered in a floral wall paper, so waking up in the new room with just subdued outdoor light coming in the window made me feel I was in a gray box until I got used to no more fussy wall paper.

Unless you are planning to sell soon, go with what you like. I worked with a paint consultant to get the shades right and to understand which walls should get the accent color. And I never would have thought a creamy white would go with gray.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Gray is so six months ago. A lot of homes we are looking at are going with a rich, medium brown with lighter beige accents. I know Benjamin Moore chose Caliente as their color of the year. I like it, but I wouldn't use it in a bedroom unless your theme is "opium den". Pantone chose a grassy green, which again, I wouldn't use for a bedroom. It is too energetic. Sherwin Williams chose Oceanside, which really is not to my liking and I can't see finding any sheets to match. And Behr chose some nasty color that is probably called "Bleh". It looks like 2018 will be the year of bold colors, so my bedroom will be out of style.

Are you getting new furniture and bedding? If not, bring home a lot of swatches and see what looks best with what you already have. Decide what you want to say with the color. Do you want relaxing, cozy, exciting, modern, etc.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:18 pm

When I sold my house my realtor told me to paint everything with Sherwin Williams' "agreeable grey" and several people have told me that they have used that recently. Seems to be the color everyone is going with.

When I moved into my condo I painted most everything a light tan/cream with columns and rafters a darker brown. I bricked one of my walls and am super happy with the way it looks.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 pm

mouses wrote:

+1

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 pm
mouses wrote:

+1
I did the SW Agreeable Grey to sell my house bc I had a lot of odd colors in it when I lived there. I didn't think I'd like it bc I thought it would look institutional or like I was in a Navy destroyer... but once it was up I really, really liked it.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm

When we were looking to buy, we were kind of irked when the seller spent money on paint, carpet, countertops/cabinets, in colors we did NOT like. Would much have preferred to get $ off the price so we can have our choice of colors.

Fast forward a bunch of years. Now we will be the sellers! All what I mentioned is due for change. Nothing really terrible, but a buyer would want to change stuff eventually if not sooner. My thought is to price the house to reflect the cost of improvements rather than put 10's of thousands into upgrades myself.

Any ideas on this approach?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Very very light creamy earth tones in satin finish. Beige/light cream carpets and stone and tile flooring with hardwood. DW stays with classic timeless, subtle, tasteful. Non-trendy.

cajungal

Post by cajungal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:00 pm

omega wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am
Hi all,

Just curious to see what color folks are using nowadays for interior wall, especially bedrooms. I understand color is a personal choice, but wants to see what out there. I was told gray is the current trend. Also, do you prefer any specific brand of paint over other?

Thanks
Behr

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Pick out fabrics - rugs, bed covers, curtains - then select a paint color that complements them. For one thing, fabric designers know more about color trends than financial gurus. For another, trying to find fabrics that go with paint colors is much harder than tweaking a paint color to go with fabrics.

RetiredNow

Post by RetiredNow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Just this week we painted a room in SW Useful Gray, with an accent wall of SW Gray Area. We chose SW Greek Villa for the trim (a shade of white ). We really love the way it turned out....

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:41 pm

GerryL wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 pm
I'd been wanting gray and pink for many years.
Pink and gray were big when I was in high school back in the 50s.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 pm

RudyS wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm
When we were looking to buy, we were kind of irked when the seller spent money on paint, carpet, countertops/cabinets, in colors we did NOT like. Would much have preferred to get $ off the price so we can have our choice of colors.

Fast forward a bunch of years. Now we will be the sellers! All what I mentioned is due for change. Nothing really terrible, but a buyer would want to change stuff eventually if not sooner. My thought is to price the house to reflect the cost of improvements rather than put 10's of thousands into upgrades myself.

Not everyone thinks like a Boglehead. Some people do not want to paint or replace carpet right away. If the house has 20+ year old paint and carpet I'd replace. Painting will be a little less expensive if you get it done before carpet is replaced. If you think the house will sell within days with multiple offers you probably don't need to do anything. If you expect it to be on the market for a few months having it look clean, light, and airy can help it sell faster.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:29 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 pm
RudyS wrote:

Not everyone thinks like a Boglehead. Some people do not want to paint or replace carpet right away. If the house has 20+ year old paint and carpet I'd replace. Painting will be a little less expensive if you get it done before carpet is replaced. If you think the house will sell within days with multiple offers you probably don't need to do anything. If you expect it to be on the market for a few months having it look clean, light, and airy can help it sell faster.
Some people have a hard time envisioning a home after changes are made. Everyone can envision it as it is.

If the basics are a 'non-offending neutral' proper staging is probably enough in my opinion. But if they are very 'personalized' then it's probably best to go ahead and make changes before listing.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm
Not too long ago, I helped someone paint with some paint they bought at Menards. It took three coats and twice as much paint to get the same coverage.
I bought some Conco paint at Menards 2 years back. It sucked, literally. After coat 1, had to do coat 2. Finally had to buy a different brand to cover/finish it. Couldn't breathe upstairs, Conco took a week to air out. really, really sh*tty paint. Never again.

They had Dutch Boy paint (with primer) this past summer 1/2 off around July 4th. That worked well, and price wasn't bad even if it wasn't on sale. Also, the nifty plastic container w/ the pour spout was nice. The metal cans rust after a year or two of storage, the rust pieces break off and fall into stored paint so one has to pitch it. :(

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:29 pm
stan1 wrote:
RudyS wrote:

Some people have a hard time envisioning a home after changes are made. Everyone can envision it as it is.

If the basics are a 'non-offending neutral' proper staging is probably enough in my opinion. But if they are very 'personalized' then it's probably best to go ahead and make changes before listing.
Sorry, but we are going to agree to disagree perhaps. A bright, light, clean, fresh house appeals to most buyers plus it makes the rooms look bigger. If a house has old carpet and hasn't been repainted in years it's not going to look fresh and clean. My experience is that if you underprice a house because it needs cosmetic work you often end up getting hit twice: once when you price it low and again when the inspection report comes back and the buyer is looking to find more money to fix the cosmetic issues. As a seller you want to find a buyer who loves the house not a bargain hunter. Help the buyer fall in love with the house. Markets are local; if the house is in the SF Bay Area none of this matters.

Oh and back to the topic at hand: Ben Moore Edgecomb Gray is a great color that changes its look in different light. Not too white, not too gray, not too beige, just right. Only place I might not use it is in a large, light filled room (such as a 2 story family room with high windows).
Last edited by stan1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 pm

F150HD wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 pm
Also, the nifty plastic container w/ the pour spout was nice. The metal cans rust after a year or two of storage, the rust pieces break off and fall into stored paint so one has to pitch it. :(

Unless you need to store paint, I would go with the metal containers. Unlike plastic, they aren't going to be around when the sun goes nova and in the meantime damaging various parts of the environment.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:08 pm

for bedroom i am a big fan of earth colors like bowns a bit of green and white. it calms me down

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:25 am

mouses wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 pm
Unless you need to store paint, I would go with the metal containers. Unlike plastic, they aren't going to be around when the sun goes nova and in the meantime damaging various parts of the environment.
like the millions of reusable 'plastic' water bottles people buy to be green to save on buying disposable ones in packs of 24?

how many of those will be around when the sun goes nova?

Does the computer you are using this minute have 'plastic' in it?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:36 am

stan1 wrote:
RudyS wrote:

You can't win. A lot of buyers want some move in thing in the current style and don't want to do any work. Others don't care because they plan on redoing everything whatever style they want. My feeling is that the move in buyers out number the fixer uppers but the tricky part is that the move in people all have slightly different desires so what appeals to one might not to another.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:40 am

RudyS wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. My house had had a bit of a flood that would have required the entire lower level flooring to be redone. As is, the real estate agent priced it at $87K. I put about $25K into it - flooring, new carpet throughout both floors, painted the entire inside of the house, granite countertops, new siding, and a new roof (insurance claim). I sold it at the bottom of the market in 2012 for $155K. Definitely worth it to make the cosmetic repairs. The only thing that may not have been "needed" was the granite countertops but for all I know, that was one of the the things that sold the new buyers on it.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 am

I painted several walls slate gray over 10 years ago and I still like it.

Guess I was ahead of the trend. :wink: :sharebeer

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:00 am

I like Maria Killam's blog and her online books. Well worth buying in my opinion. I have some stronger Farrow and Ball colors but also used Pale Oak by Benjamin Moore throughout my house. It is a warm greige color. We don't get tons of light and our floors are a medium tone hardwood.

What some of you are missing about the grey trend, which includes greige, is that it is great background for color, especially vibrant color.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 am

stan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Oh and back to the topic at hand: Ben Moore Edgecomb Gray is a great color that changes its look in different light. Not too white, not too gray, not too beige, just right. Only place I might not use it is in a large, light filled room (such as a 2 story family room with high windows).

I find that a lot of BM colors do this. My favorite is Man on the Moon, but I wouldn't use it for a bedroom. I'm really surprised that so many people are recommending SW. I would never use it again. Two different professional painters used it on various things in our house, and it just doesn't hold up. It literally wiped right off of the doors when I cleaned them, and a surprising amount comes off the walls when I wash. I don't use a scrubber, either. One door was easily destroyed with just water and a hand towel. I have never been disappointed with Benjamin Moore.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 am

Pantone dictates the future color trends that manufacturers follow, so if you want to know about that, go to the source:

https://www.pantone.com/fashion-color-t ... pring-2018

It's best to pick colors that you like personally that work well with the particular rooms and environment, regardless of trends. If you are having a lot of trouble choosing, you might consider consulting with someone who has a lot of experience with it because the color can make a big difference in the feel of a particular room depending on its characteristics, natural and artificial lighting, etc. I wouldn't recommend any color to anyone without actually being in the room they want to use it in, preferably at different times of the day and at different seasons. The same color that works well in Miami might not work so well in D.C. or Boston.

omega

Post by omega » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Wow..so many replies..thank you all for your inputs.

More info..we just bought this house..had no intention of painting..but could not find a color match for the patch up work left unpainted by the seller..so started the painting project...

Right now, the house has various sheds of tan/beige in different rooms..I am starting to paint four bedrooms in the second floor..could not decide on the color and hence the post.

Thanks for suggestion on agreeable gray..seems to be popular here and in store..will try this in one room and see how it turns out..

Thanks again..Happy Sunday :)

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:42 pm

I just repainted as did one son and a daughter. Three different cities, three different lifestyles. The answer is indisputable:

Grey

:D

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Traveler wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:40 am
RudyS wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. My house had had a bit of a flood that would have required the entire lower level flooring to be redone. As is, the real estate agent priced it at $87K. I put about $25K into it - flooring, new carpet throughout both floors, painted the entire inside of the house, granite countertops, new siding, and a new roof (insurance claim). I sold it at the bottom of the market in 2012 for $155K. Definitely worth it to make the cosmetic repairs. The only thing that may not have been "needed" was the granite countertops but for all I know, that was one of the the things that sold the new buyers on it.
Thanks to all who responded. Some good food for thought. I realize now that I sort of hijacked the original thread. Sorry for that; I will likely start a thread of my own on this shortly.