Considering a LG 55" OLED TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MPLSTCH

Considering a LG 55" OLED TV

Post by MPLSTCH » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 am

I am ready to replace an old JVC TV. It has been good, but it is getting tired. I have been looking at an LG 55" OLED set at our local COSTCO that has a beautiful picture. They currently have it at 1799.00......but I am waiting to see if it comes down near Black Friday. Does anyone here have one of the LG OLED TV's? Are you happy with it?

William104

Re: Considering a LG 55" OLED TV

Post by William104 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

Possibly a better deal on a 55" OLED here right now: https://slickdeals.net/f/10691280-65-lg ... e-shipping

I'm going to get a 65" once pricing comes down more next year then will get one of the new Apple 4K TV units. Hopefully by then Comcast will have a fair amount of 4k offerings.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:15 am

The 2017 model LG OLED is really nice.

I too want the 65" model which is a steep jump in price. It would fit perfectly in our TV space. Currently have a 60" Sharp Aquos which is still a great TV. I would move that to the basement and get rid of the Panasonic 50" Plasma. Maybe it could go to my parents or sister. Still a good TV, but the shiny screen makes it best for a basement/darker area.

You will likely find a better price online and could save sales tax. However dealing with shipping on large/fragile items as winter approaches always concerns me.

If the 55" at Costco meets your size requirements, that is a good price. Not the best. But, I don't always have to get the best price. If you have a Best Buy or Sears or other retailer that will price match, see if you can get a slightly better deal.

Costco does have some advantages. I think they double the manufacturers warranty. Their return policy is very good. Something to be said about convenience and service.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:17 am

Yes and yes. 65" Really stunning color. Planet Earth 2 is spectacular. We use it in a room with 3 walls that are almost all windows, and the picture always looks great.

We do have a sound bar, you may want that if you care about sound quality.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:18 am

I would wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Bestbuy, Walmart, Amazon will all have deals. I don't think Costco does Black Friday deals. I chose a larger TV over OLED but I've heard it is really good. Might check out HDR as well.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 am

for 4K video, you need 65" or large TV. For 55", 1080p is good enough.

MStrambolo

Post by MStrambolo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a 55" C7 2017 vintage. It's wonderful. Spectacular picture. Smart apps are terrific. It even has a browser built in so I can stream movies that are available through the NYC library system for free. I'm very glad to have upgraded this year. Go for it!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I have a 2016 65”, and it is spectacular. I enjoy it every time I watch.

khh

Post by khh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm

MStrambolo wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:07 pm
I have a 55" C7 2017 vintage. It's wonderful. Spectacular picture. Smart apps are terrific. It even has a browser built in so I can stream movies that are available through the NYC library system for free. I'm very glad to have upgraded this year. Go for it!
How is the browser for internet surfing? For example, can you read and post at Bogleheads and access your financial sites?

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Bought a 2017 55" LG OLED last summer on sale at military exchange. Best TV we've ever had by far. Wall mounted, very slim, great picture in a room with plantation shutters so lots of light reflection and variation. User interface is fine (seen much worse). Expensive but if you don't mind the cost its great. We got the 55" because it is above the fireplace and larger size won't fit which helped keep cost down.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Bought a 55" LG OLED last year at this time. Got it for $1,799. Black Friday was $2,199. Never saw it cheaper but stopped looking. By far the best TV picture I've ever seen. I do most of my TV viewing on a 50" Samsung (higher rated model). Every time I go into the other room and watch my OLED I'm still amazed a year later. My only regret is I didn't get the 65". I'll probably make that move in a couple of years.

paisano

Post by paisano » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 pm

https://camelcamelcamel.com has Amazon pricing history charts (like stock charts), which usually comply with LG's authorized dealer MSRPs.

Although past performance is no guarantee of future results, you can compare last year's model to this year's:

Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 am

I purchased the 2017 65" this year. After trading out two defective panels, the picture quality is absolutely stunning. Initial set had a pretty serious color drift in the white spectrum (3" vertical stripe of bluish light on one side of the panel; 9" yellowish stripe on the right side). I normally would not be too worried if it was just whites, but it distorted the color rendering. Traded out on warranty, second panel was bent. Third panel is not bent nor has stripes, but still has a little bit of gradient color drift in the whites. However, when rendering colors and live TV it is not noticeable, so I am waiting a while to see if they can iron out the quality issues before trying again. From what I've read, most people do not have a problem, so I may just have rotten luck. YMMV.

All that being said... the set is gorgeous and delivers as promised. My understanding is that the quality issues are much better on the 55" panel.

MStrambolo

Post by MStrambolo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:57 am

khh wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm
MStrambolo wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:07 pm
How is the browser for internet surfing? For example, can you read and post at Bogleheads and access your financial sites?
I haven't thought to try browsing and posting with the browser app - despite the name. The remote has a pointer function, so you can point to the letters on the screen and click when entering a URL or text. It's decidedly less clunky than using the navigation keys to move between letters as on other sets I've seen. But I wouldn't want to write a post at Bogleheads that way. One could do it, but it would be far easier and quicker to use an iPad or computer.

By the way, a professional calibration is well worth the money in my opinion. While the panel is close to specs out of the box, having it adjusted to be spot on makes a noticeable difference.

MPLSTCH

Post by MPLSTCH » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks William104..... for the link. I had Best Buy match the price, and purchased the LG Oled 55". I think the 1549.00 price is as good as it will get for awhile. Now just waiting for todays delivery

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am

Keep in mind if you have CITI Costco card your warranty jumps to 4 years at no cost to you. Can not go wrong. Think twice about Best Buy, restocking fees and charge for warranties.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:09 am

I bought the LG OLED65C7P for our family room last summer and liked it so much I just bought the 55" sibling for the front room. The picture is absolutely stunning - and the style/design of the unit is really beautiful. Practically frameless picture, and the top half of the unit is seriously 1/4" thick. Consumer reports compares the various models; there are slight differences in sound quality which might determine whether you want one vs the other (if you are running external speakers, for example), but all the LG OLED have same visual components.

Citi cards offers a 60-day price rewind guarantee, so I am still watching prices to get the best deal. And I can recommend a "short" and totally awesome mount for it (the weight of this TV is all in the bottom third). This mount is super elegant, and installed the TV quite easily. New TV a lot lighter! Crutchfield also price matches, and has excellent service.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_993QLL22/ ... ml?tp=1416

Edited to add: The TV comes with a right angle power plug. I would also recommend you purchase a right-angle Coax connector for the TV antenna (if you run OTA) and any HDMI connectors (like your DVD player) as the newer TV mount very close to the wall. My Roku stick happily plugs in the side. The only downside to these TV's are the relative lack for 4K programming - I expect that will pick up over time. The picture still totally rocks, and I squandered an extra $2 per month to get HD programming on my Netflix account (no cable, frugal).
Last edited by CAsage on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 am

for 55" 1080p is good enough from 6 ft away. for 4k, you's better go 65". Also OLED price will drop once the tech mature and market saturate. Wait 55" drop below 1k and 65 drop below 2k. 2 years from now.

dave_k

Post by dave_k » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:10 pm

I have last year's 65" model, and the picture is incredible. I highly recommend the LG OLED 4k TVs.

Whether 55" is big enough to take good advantage of 4k depends on viewing distance and how good your eyesight is. If you can see good 4k material on both sizes in the store, check it for yourself at various distances.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 pm

dbltrbl wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am
Keep in mind if you have CITI Costco card your warranty jumps to 4 years at no cost to you. Can not go wrong. Think twice about Best Buy, restocking fees and charge for warranties.
It’s even better than that.

Costco has the register rebate where you can get the 3 year Squaretrade warranty extension for $0 net cost. The Citi Costco card adds 2 years onto that - so you actually get 7 years of warranty coverage! (1 year LG, 1 year Costco, 3 years Squaretrade, 2 years Citi)

Keep in mind that Citi has Price Rewind, so you can buy it at Costco, submit the printout of the Best Buy website price, and they’ll credit you the difference. (up to $500)

I bought the 65” LG OLED TV this year - it is hands down the best TV I’ve ever had.

katzmandu

Post by katzmandu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Not to throw too much rain on the idea, but considering the flogging Google and LG are taking for what is a not as good as Samsung quality OLED on the Pixel 2, might it not be worth checking Samsung out to see if you have a better option? Samsung really has a leg up on their competitors in terms of image/screen quality. Not sure about the price-point however, but you're going to have that TV a long time. If the difference were $200-300 for the much better screen at same size and a more enjoyable experience, the aggregate cost is low since you'll likely use the product daily for many years. My 2 cents, and no I don't work for Samsung. I have a TV from 2004 that is off 99% of the time, but I do check out what's in stores and reviews, etc as I like to know what's out there if I ever feel like an upgrade.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 pm

I have my eye on the LG 65" OLED TV and am considering a purchase around Black Friday. The price on these recently dropped across the board and I'm hoping it falls again. It will replace a 50" Panasonic plasma from 2009.
katzmandu wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:29 pm
Not to throw too much rain on the idea, but considering the flogging Google and LG are taking for what is a not as good as Samsung quality OLED on the Pixel 2, might it not be worth checking Samsung out to see if you have a better option? Samsung really has a leg up on their competitors in terms of image/screen quality. Not sure about the price-point however, but you're going to have that TV a long time. If the difference were $200-300 for the much better screen at same size and a more enjoyable experience, the aggregate cost is low since you'll likely use the product daily for many years. My 2 cents, and no I don't work for Samsung. I have a TV from 2004 that is off 99% of the time, but I do check out what's in stores and reviews, etc as I like to know what's out there if I ever feel like an upgrade.
Samsung does not make OLED TVs. TV displays are very different from phone displays, and the LG OLED TVs have had rave reviews. LG and Sony are the only US manufacturers of OLED TVs, and Sony uses the same panel manufactured by LG, so the only differences are styling/branding/speakers.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 pm
Samsung does not make OLED TVs. TV displays are very different from phone displays, and the LG OLED TVs have had rave reviews. LG and Sony are the only US manufacturers of OLED TVs, and Sony uses the same panel manufactured by LG, so the only differences are styling/branding/speakers.
Actually Samsung offers TVs with a competing technology called QLED, using quantum dots. It's a bit different than OLED, but still pretty good to my eyes, and I was comparing these TVs over the weekend at Costco. Not sure which one I would go with.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... s-oled-tv/

From the article:
"When pitting QLED vs. OLED in terms of picture quality, OLED comes out on top, even though the latter technology represents a significant advancement over the LED TVs of old. OLED is lighter, thinner, uses less energy, offers the best viewing angle by far, and, though still a little more expensive, has come down in price considerably.

QLED has its own distinct set of advantages with brightness capability, and with recent tweaks, black levels have also improved. For many, a QLED TV will make more sense since a QLED viewed during the day will offer a punchier picture. But when the lights go down, OLED is a more attractive choice."

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:40 pm

weltschmerz wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm
Ketawa wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 pm
Actually Samsung offers TVs with a competing technology called QLED, using quantum dots. It's a bit different than OLED, but still pretty good to my eyes, and I was comparing these TVs over the weekend at Costco. Not sure which one I would go with.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... s-oled-tv/

From the article:
"When pitting QLED vs. OLED in terms of picture quality, OLED comes out on top, even though the latter technology represents a significant advancement over the LED TVs of old. OLED is lighter, thinner, uses less energy, offers the best viewing angle by far, and, though still a little more expensive, has come down in price considerably.

QLED has its own distinct set of advantages with brightness capability, and with recent tweaks, black levels have also improved. For many, a QLED TV will make more sense since a QLED viewed during the day will offer a punchier picture. But when the lights go down, OLED is a more attractive choice."
I read the same thing and bought the Samsung QLED. I am very happy with it, and I felt the price (1000) was acceptable.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:06 pm

SpaethCo wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 pm
Costco has the register rebate where you can get the 3 year Squaretrade warranty extension for $0 net cost. The Citi Costco card adds 2 years onto that - so you actually get 7 years of warranty coverage! (1 year LG, 1 year Costco, 3 years Squaretrade, 2 years Citi)
That's not how the Citi extended warranty works. It does not add years to non-manufacturers warranties, only to manufacturers. If you can get an extended manufacturers warranty (ie laptops commonly offer this) it should extend that.

That being said, Citi cards are great for the price rewind and extended warranty, as are the LG OLED TV's.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:30 pm

brajalle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:06 pm
That's not how the Citi extended warranty works. It does not add years to non-manufacturers warranties, only to manufacturers.
They specifically call out this example in the benefits documentation for the Citi Costco card at http://citi.com/Costco

Brokepilot

Post by Brokepilot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

QLED is not close to OLED. QLED is overpriced edge lit technology.

When it comes to TV you have ask yourself what your going to do with it. Gaming, dark room viewing, Computer usage, ETC. Rtings.com will help you pickout the right TV for you.

I recommend the Sony XBR-55X900E. Great full array TV, has the best specs all around. $1200.

Edit: I also do the square trade warranty and buy the TV on my Amex to get an additional 1 year. You'll be covered by two warrants on the second year if you go that route.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:53 am

SpaethCo wrote:
Keep in mind that Citi has Price Rewind, so you can buy it at Costco, submit the printout of the Best Buy website price, and they’ll credit you the difference. (up to $500)
I wonder if the slight difference in model numbers would be an issue for that?

Costco has it as Model OLED55B7
Best Buy has it as Model: OLED55B7A
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:59 am

I think the letters distinguish between different audio and mounting options. The OLED panels are the same. I do not know if Costco has a different tolerance for dead or always on pixels.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 am

Brokepilot wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am
QLED is not close to OLED. QLED is overpriced edge lit technology.
Just as "LED" itself is nothing but a different backlight on a LCD display. Some other mfr has XLED, I have no idea what it is but would guess like "Q" it's just another variation on a LCD with LED backlight.

Also "4K" is really 2160p, I am surprised no one has started calling their 1080p TVs "2K".

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:15 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 am
for 4K video, you need 65" or large TV. For 55", 1080p is good enough.
It's really about how close to the TV you want to sit. Personally, I have no use for anything above 1080p. However, it seems the OLED TVs only come in in 2160p (aka 4K)?

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:19 am

Stay 1080p for a while. majority video are still in 1080p blueray . Tech will get better and cheaper. Until 55 OLED drop below 1k and 65" drop belpw 1.5k.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am

I'm not buying yet, but some random sellers have the 55 inch LG OLED model at about $1100 already.

Brokepilot

Post by Brokepilot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am
I'm not buying yet, but some random sellers have the 55 inch LG OLED model at about $1100 already.
What model? Some years 2015 have terrible banding.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Brokepilot wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 am
jeffyscott wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am
What model? Some years 2015 have terrible banding.
I guess 2016 and 2017? Saw that price for OLED55B7 and OLED55B6, with P, A or no extra letter at the end. Just do a search with the model numbers and google shows a few places with them at $1100 or so. I did not look closely as I am not buying yet, but at least some have free shipping.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:53 am

You might actually be better off to use https://shopping.google.com and searching for OLED55B7P, and taking one of those sites for the price match.

I had no problem submitting a claim for the Citi Price Rewind using a price I found on TV Superstores for my OLED65B7P and getting the full $500 claim limit on the difference. I would have never ordered from that site, but I had no reservations about using them for a price match.

No matter what I was intent on buying from Costco because of the 90 day hassle-free returns if I ended up with a bad panel (there are still some with banding issues), and the warranty benefits were way too good to pass up.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 pm

My 65" Panasonic Plasma is perfect for watching 1080p. Super black level and color saturation. Also it heat my room during the dark cold night. OLED 8K, I will see you 5 years later. Or I might get a laser 8K projector in 5 years.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:18 am
I would wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Bestbuy, Walmart, Amazon will all have deals. I don't think Costco does Black Friday deals. I chose a larger TV over OLED but I've heard it is really good. Might check out HDR as well.
Costco does do Black Friday deals. In fact, they issued their holiday shopping guide last week that lists all the sales they will run between now and Christmas. There were a ton of TVs in there. So, OP, I recommend that you get a copy of that guide to see if your TV will be on sale in the next few weeks.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm

SpaethCo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm
jeffyscott wrote:

You might actually be better off to use https://shopping.google.com and searching for OLED55B7P, and taking one of those sites for the price match.

I had no problem submitting a claim for the Citi Price Rewind using a price I found on TV Superstores for my OLED65B7P and getting the full $500 claim limit on the difference. I would have never ordered from that site, but I had no reservations about using them for a price match.

No matter what I was intent on buying from Costco because of the 90 day hassle-free returns if I ended up with a bad panel (there are still some with banding issues), and the warranty benefits were way too good to pass up.
Wow, thanks for the info! I'd prefer Costco for the same reasons, so I will have to keep that in mind.

Did not know that their Citi card was so liberal on the price matching. TV Superstores was the one I checked to verify that it was really for a new TV and I noticed their return policy seemed pretty restrictive.

Houe

Post by Houe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:47 pm

I've been doing some research for a 4k tv. The LG OLED sets are consistently at the top of everyone's list. But no display is perfect and depending on your needs OLED may not be the best technology for you.

OLED pros:
1. blacks are inky black
2. better viewing angles
3. excellent color with vivid colors

OLED cons:
1. burn in with certain content (like video games and news channels with a constant logo).
2. struggles with light grays (1-5% grays might show vertical banding)
3. not at bright as LCD displays

I'd say if most of your viewing is in a darker environment and long hours of video games aren't played then go OLED. If most of your viewing is in a bright environment LCD might be a better choice. It quite late in the season and 2018 models are right around the corner so keep that in mind as well too. 2017 oled models had a nice upgrade from the 2016 oled model. My plan is to wait for 2018 models and then either get a 2017 or 2018 if the upgrade is worth it.

Houe

Post by Houe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
SpaethCo wrote:

The OLED55B7A does not have Dolby Atmos while the costco OLED55B7 does. I think that is really the only functional difference. If you have a Dolby Atmos A/V receiver then the lack of Atmos probably won't matter when using external video sources (AppleTv, roku, amazon firetv, etc.). If you want to use the internal smart tv apps then you will not be able to feed Atmos sound out to an A/V receiver with the OLED55B7A model.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:34 pm

MPLSTCH wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am
Thanks William104..... for the link. I had Best Buy match the price, and purchased the LG Oled 55". I think the 1549.00 price is as good as it will get for awhile. Now just waiting for todays delivery
That is an amazing price for an amazing TV. We got ours this spring when our a big black ripply stripe appeared on our TV. My husband expected prices to come down on the LG OLED around Black Friday but we couldn't stare at that big black ripply stripe for months while we waited. I am not a video-phile but now that we have it, I don't mind the $$$ spent and couldn't go back to less clarity and brilliant color.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 pm

SpaethCo wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:30 pm
brajalle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:06 pm
That's not how the Citi extended warranty works. It does not add years to non-manufacturers warranties, only to manufacturers.
They specifically call out this example in the benefits documentation for the Citi Costco card at http://citi.com/Costco
I took a second look - hrm, it is less clear than I'd hoped.

The old extended warranty documents specifically excluded any extra warranty or service contract.

The new one does include a customer purchased extended warranty, but there are several points where exclusions specifically refer to the manufacturers warranty. I guess we'd need to contact Virginia Surety or get some datapoints to know for sure. I'd be a bit hesitant to rely on a 3rd party extended warranty for that reason without something from Virginia Surety in writing, but you're right, it does appear to suggest it could apply. My apologies.

MPLSTCH

Post by MPLSTCH » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 am

Found something interesting when I set up the OLED55B7A. I was not expecting Dolby Atmos...... but found it "not grayed out" and available. The TV did go through an "online update" before I sat down to make picture adjustments. Maybe the update added the Dolby Atmos capability ??? Or maybe it was available when purchased..... I don't know......

Houe

Post by Houe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 pm

MPLSTCH wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 am
Found something interesting when I set up the OLED55B7A. I was not expecting Dolby Atmos...... but found it "not grayed out" and available. The TV did go through an "online update" before I sat down to make picture adjustments. Maybe the update added the Dolby Atmos capability ??? Or maybe it was available when purchased..... I don't know......
It will not decode Atmos and play it on the built in speakers, but it can pass it on via ARC to an A/V receiver. See below from the OLED FAQ.

B7A - Most basic model with a wedge stand and silver bezel. Even though the B7A does not support native Atmos decoding, it can still pass lossy (DD+) Atmos over ARC
B7/B7P/B7V - Same as the B7A but adds native Atmos decoding for the built-in speakers

gpsjoe

Post by gpsjoe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I just bought a LG OLED55B7P-U from Costco. The TV and picture are all that I expected. There ARE a couple of issues that people need to be aware of with this TV.
1) The "magic" remote control is unconventional and is not capable of controlling any other equipment except the TV itself.
2) You are NOT able to use TWO remote controls for this TV as is conventional with all other TVs I have ever seen. For instance, it your wife has the control and YOU want to control the TV with YOUR (the second) Magic Remote Control, then you must "LINK" your control to the TV which UNlinks your wife's control. (What engineer in his right mind would do this?????
3) Along the line, they changed the remote control to the AN-MR650A (was AN-MR650). The two controls are NOT compatible and this fact is not publicized anywhere!

Had I known you could only use the one remote control, this would have killed the deal for my family!
Joe

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Don't even bother with that remote. Take the batteries out and unpair it. It's bluetooth and paired with the TV. Who thought of that I don't know.

Get a couple of IR universal remotes. So long as the LG is unpaired they should work.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Ged wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Don't even bother with that remote. Take the batteries out and unpair it. It's bluetooth and paired with the TV. Who thought of that I don't know.

Get a couple of IR universal remotes. So long as the LG is unpaired they should work.
Careful about which universal remotes you choose if you intend to operate your system with more than one remote at a time. "Activity based remotes," such as Harmony won't play well together like that as they "remember" what state your devices are in and go from there. If the state is changed via another remote or the device itself, aggravation ensues.

ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Have the 65"...amazing TV was worth the purchase
gpsjoe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm
Had I known you could only use the one remote control, this would have killed the deal for my family!
Joe
Why do you each need a remote to control the same TV? Can't you just pass it to the other person in the room when they want to change the channel?

ragabnh

Post by ragabnh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 pm

I have so many remotes on the table, I get confused all the time. :confused
One tor TV
Second for Receiver
One for DVD
One for VCR
One for Cassette
One for Roku
Another one which I am not sure :annoyed

So :confused