When to buy a new car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortysixandtwo

When to buy a new car

Post by fortysixandtwo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:14 pm

My kid sister recently purchased a mid 2000's Honda CRV. Her intention was to purchase reliable transportation with some cargo space for use in her work around LA. Since she's owned it (all of 6 months) she has had to repair the brakes, much of the suspension, fix the electrical for two of the windows, and replace several other smaller things. Someone also hit her not long after she moved to LA—no frame damage, but she can't get over the fact that the car has been in an accident and blames a lot of her problems on that. I tell her that all cars require maintenance and that it won't always be like this.

Now, however, her AC has gone out (apparently this is a known issue with the AC system that Honda refused to recall though they did have to settle a class action lawsuit), and she is beside herself. The cost to repair proper is almost $2000 and even I'm starting to wince. She's ready to get a different car. My gut says she is will always be buying more problems, but I don't want to tell her that the end of major repairs for the next few years has arrived and then have something else go out.

What would you all do? Find a different car possible with a warranty, or just keep on keeping on with the car that you've already invested in so heavily, knowing that it will still be cheaper than buying a new or different car?

jebmke

Re: When to buy a new car

Post by jebmke » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:20 pm

friend of mine has the same problem. I have urged him to trade it. It is unreliable and he drives it in remote rural areas. Just last week we were out in the hinterlands and a caliper locked up. Stuck. I think he can't get past the sunk costs.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:28 pm

If she can afford it, I would trade up for a newer vehicle or buy a new vehicle. I've been pretty lucky buying used vehicles over the years but the one that really wasn't worth it was a 2003 CR-V that I bought used in 2010. It was non-stop repairs the five years we owned the thing and I finally traded it off for a 2015 RAV4. I haven't regretted that decision once.

wander

Post by wander » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Sounds like a lemon to me, I wouldn't keep it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:35 pm

Sounds like a very high mileage car. Everything is used up. Or, a lemon.
Suggest buying a car with lower mileage. Corolla. Civic.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm

wander wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 pm
Sounds like a lemon to me, I wouldn't keep it.
It is a 10-15 year old car (figure something like 120-200k miles). Most of those problems sound like things you would expect to deal with. I am sort of surprised the inspection before buying it didn't tell you that the brakes and suspension were worn out.

Does it make sense to keep throwing money into the car? Who knows? Buying another 10+ year old car is playing the lottery. Buying a3-4 year old car which you can expect to be reliable for 5+ years is going to cost significantly more.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm

A decade old car and it needs brakes and suspension and a known AC problem happens? What next......after 400 miles of driving, it runs out of gas? These are all completely expected. People do sometimes think that if it's got a Honda "H" on the hood or Toyota "T", that nothing ever needs to be replaced or maintained. You might want to suggest that the oil is not "lifetime fill" as well, with these expectations.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

sambb

Post by sambb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:01 pm

i would sell the car

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm
A decade old car and it needs brakes and suspension and a known AC problem happens? What next......after 400 miles of driving, it runs out of gas? These are all completely expected. People do sometimes think that if it's got a Honda "H" on the hood or Toyota "T", that nothing ever needs to be replaced or maintained. You might want to suggest that the oil is not "lifetime fill" as well, with these expectations.
++.

The good thing about Honda/Toyota is that when things do break or wear out, the parts are relatively affordable. Is she getting the work done at a dealer or with a really great independent shop? I would go high-quality independent, which should be not necessarily be cheap but will be better than dealer prices, and as good or better work.

And it’s all about total cost of ownership. If you buy a $7k car that you are happy with, you’ll have to put in a lot of repairs before it even begins to approach a new, $25k vehicle.

It sounds like she wants a new or different car though.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 pm

OP, is 46 your age? How old is your kid sister? (closer to 18, 30 or 45? In other words, how much life experience does she have?) How much does she make and can she afford a new or newer car?

I wouldn't want my kid sister's car to break down in a big city late at night.

As far as the current car, did anyone inspect the car before purchase? Is her mechanic trustworthy? If these were issues before, buying another used car may bring along the same type of problems.

For no other reason than all the bad experience she's had with the car, as long as it wouldn't cause her undue financial hardship, she should get a new or newer car. May I suggest a Toyota Camry or Ford Fusion? You should be able to get a terrific deal on a new one.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/10/to ... mber-2017/
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... story.html
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017082 ... -amid-glut

wander

Post by wander » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:45 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm
It is a 10-15 year old car (figure something like 120-200k miles). Most of those problems sound like things you would expect to deal with. I am sort of surprised the inspection before buying it didn't tell you that the brakes and suspension were worn out.

Does it make sense to keep throwing money into the car? Who knows? Buying another 10+ year old car is playing the lottery. Buying a3-4 year old car which you can expect to be reliable for 5+ years is going to cost significantly more.
I think a lot of CRV owners will say the CRVs are very reliable. Most works for these cars are maintenance related. I think there is something wrong with this car since 10-15 years range is not too old for a CRV or any Honda. If it is difference compared to same model, then keeping it is not a good idea.