Amazon kindle paperwhite

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
prettybogle

Amazon kindle paperwhite

Post by prettybogle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 pm

I just got an email from Amazon alerting that kindle paperwhite is now reduced to 89.99. Does anyone here use it ? Is it worth it or just another electronic gadget that will strain eyes and also move us further away from physical things like books ?

oldcomputerguy

Re: Amazon kindle paperwhite

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 pm

prettybogle wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 pm
I just got an email from Amazon alerting that kindle paperwhite is now reduced to 89.99. Does anyone here use it ? Is it worth it or just another electronic gadget that will strain eyes and also move us further away from physical things like books ?
I have used my iPad's Kindle app for a while, and love it. (It is perfect for us older folks, as you can make the fonts much, much bigger.)

Last time I went on vacation, I quickly discovered that it was nigh unto impossible to read the tablet's screen in the direct sun. I now have a Kindle Paperwhite in addition to the tablet, for my next trip to the beach. It's completely readable in the bright sun.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm

I have an old kindle keyboard that we acquired second-hand for free. I use it with the local library to check out books, and find it useful for that purpose. It's nice, but I don't value it at $90. If it broke, I doubt I would pay to replace it. I don't buy ebooks, though, so I'm not really the target market.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to buy one but have been waiting for a price cut. This may be enough to push me to finally get one. I have read reviews and feel pretty sure I would like it. Now I read on my Android phone. Not bad but nothing like a paper white.

My main concern is if it will spur me to spend a lot more on books than usual, but the counter to that is that reading is better than TV. So may be worth it, and if I were good, which I am not, I would pay for books by dropping cable TV. It is good to have goals.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

bobolinx

Post by bobolinx » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Here are a few thoughts:
1. If you were not interested in a kindle paperwhite before the add, I would ignore it.
2. As a kindle paperwhite user, I enjoy it. Some advantages are: a) I can travel and have plenty of reading with me for very little weight and space; b) it is easy to read with in no or dim light; c) one can sample books. I have sampled plenty of travel books to new destinations for free on the plane. they provide an introductions to the area. Then I usually purchase just one. c) should you run out of books, it is easy to download another. d) takes up no room in the house. We have been trying to down-size and books take up a huge area!
3. Some negatives. a) the cost of kindle books has risen significantly since its inception and one must shop around. b) no easy way to lend a books to a friend. c) I can often just download books from the library onto my phone for free which equals some of the advantages to a kindle.
4. I have a few friends that have a color amazon tablet (fire?) which they bought for around $40 and enjoy it also. Plus it can be used on the internet. This may be a better value.
5. Barnes and Noble has a nook which may be worth looking into.
I enjoy my kindle and am glad I made the decision, but it is not for everyone!

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Does anyone know if a Paperwhite would work well for sheet music? Will it sit on the piano music stand or on a stand-alone music stand that other instruments use? Has anyone tried this? Does it work well? Can you turn pages easily, etc? Any problems?

Thanks.

Hope I am not hijacking thread.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 pm

We have 2 kindle paperwhites and like them. I use mine to read in bed (without the light on) and it is easier on the eyes. Also easier to read at the pool. Additional bonus is that you will not get sidetracked checking other stuff like you might do on the Ipad (starting to check our emails in between or reading news). This is especially an advantage with our 12 year old son, he can get unlimited time on his Paperwhite but the Ipad usage has limits.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Kalo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to buy one but have been waiting for a price cut. This may be enough to push me to finally get one. I have read reviews and feel pretty sure I would like it. Now I read on my Android phone. Not bad but nothing like a paper white.

My main concern is if it will spur me to spend a lot more on books than usual, but the counter to that is that reading is better than TV. So may be worth it, and if I were good, which I am not, I would pay for books by dropping cable TV. It is good to have goals.

Kalo
You can borrow ebooks from the library for free. My library offers ebooks in kindle format.
Wiki

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:24 pm

I've had the Kindle PaperWhite since it came out and have gotten good use out of it. But as others have pointed out, kindle book prices have risen to the point where I went back to good old books with real paper pages. So many books read better on paper than on screen. The advantage of the kindle is increasing font size for old eyes. But, better reading glasses works just as well for books with real paper pages. I also find I can lend or give away a book but not a download on a kindle.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Just another gadget. I just use my tablet with a matte screen cover for my e-reading.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 pm

I have one, and love it. Awesome for travel, backlit for reading at night or anywhere. Classics (aka old stuff) is free or very cheap, and many libraries are growing their e-book catalogs. Throw a wide net here - check with the largest city library in your state, or region. For example, in Los Angeles, they have a very deep selection of ebooks, and a library card is free to anyone in the state. My local small-town library is banding together with other locals to share titles. It's a growing thing, and the Kindle rocks! Getting rid of physical books is just one of the advantages..
The downside is that when you buy books (and they are cheaper than hardback, but not cheaper than used), you cannot pass them on. I am hoping my BFF will bequeath me her KIndle and Amazon account.....
Last edited by CAsage on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Very bright with no glare. Great in the direct sun which makes them good outdoors and at the beach where most other electronic devices wash out.

simmias

Post by simmias » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I love love love my paperwhite. Great for night reading, outdoor reading, traveling, etc. The battery lasts forever and it's the easiest device on my eyes by far.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I just bought one for $89.99. It should arrive today.

I had my 2nd version Kindle for years and the battery finally gave out. I replaced the battery myself one time and then that one also went bad. It was time to put it to rest. I think the paperwhite should be a great upgrade.

I almost went with the refurbished Kindle Voyage for $134.99 but the $90 price for the regular paperwhite was too good to pass up.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:44 pm

prettybogle wrote:
I've been using a Kindle for years. It's far superior (in my opinion) to other electronic readers.

It's not a computer screen, it's not back-lit. There's no strain on the eye. It's just like reading a book. Works fine in direct sunlight just like a book. Of course you also need a lamp at night (just like a book).

I highly recommend the Kindle.

Edit: I see the paperwhite has a built in light. I'm curious how that works. Does that make the screen look like a computer screen? Because I wouldn't be interested in that.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm
Just another gadget.
Maybe.
I just use my tablet with a matte screen cover for my e-reading.
I find the e-Ink to look just like printed words on paper. Very different from reading on a computer or a tablet or a phone.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Tablets are also heavy.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Love my Paperwhite but pre-ordered the new 7 inch oasis. Can't wait.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:24 pm
But as others have pointed out, kindle book prices have risen to the point where I went back to good old books with real paper pages.
This is an excellent point. Kindle books now cost the same as paperbooks, and both have increased prices 50% recently on Amazon.

That does indeed makes me mad.

I wonder if this is a result of Amazon driving most book stores out of business, and now they can raise prices at will. $10 for a book just a year or two ago, now it's $15.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 pm

prettybogle wrote:
Worth it depends on whether you are interested in downloading books and other files to read. It does make it very easy to bring a book or multiple books with you when you travel because it is so small and light. Do you have any friends with Kindle's you might be able to borrow for a few days to try them out?

Some libraries even are set up to allow books to be checked out using your Kindle, meaning free access (subject to demand and the number of copies of the book they have a license to loan out at once) to a very large collection of titles without having to physically visit the library.

Lack of eye strain is the best part about the e-ink Kindles. The screen isn't quite the same as reading off of real paper, but it's the closest any electronic device comes to the experience by far.

I don't know that moving away from physical things is necessarily a bad thing. I do share the concern that there may be new ways to lose books you paid for when there is no tangible object to hold onto, but you can lose or destroy physical books, too, and with a digital file, there is also a new way to get them back via backups or re-downloading them (as long as Amazon remains in business, hopefully). And yes, there is something more to reading a physical book, or having it sitting on the shelf beckoning you to pick it up again, or starting a conversation about the book with a guest.

But really, buying a Kindle does not mean you can't simply read a variety of books on the Kindle, but still buy physical copies of the books that you really love.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Kalo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm
Does anyone know if a Paperwhite would work well for sheet music? Will it sit on the piano music stand or on a stand-alone music stand that other instruments use? Has anyone tried this? Does it work well? Can you turn pages easily, etc? Any problems?

Thanks.

Kalo
Interesting question. I just did a search and found out there is some sheet music available in Kindle format.

The Kindle can also read PDF's, in case you have it in that format or want to scan it. The challenge there is it's a 6" screen. Regular paper is equivalent to a 14" screen, so the music will be shrunk down quite small. You can zoom in, but then you can only see part of the page at a time.

On the Paperwhite, turning a page is as easy as a single tap on the screen, so that part is no problem.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:49 pm

I love my kindle paperwhite. I can adjust the font size to read without my glasses. It uses front/edge lighting instead of back lighting, so there isn't the eye strain that you get with a regular tablet. I can easily read in the dark without disturbing DW, but can also easily read in full sunlight.

Many classics are available for free and my library offers kindle books (although there is frequently a long waiting list for popular titles). I've also found a few self-published mystery and sci-fi writers that I like; some could use better editing and Shakespeare they are not, but I've found them enjoyable. Prices have gone up on books, but I still like the convenience and portability of the kindle.

I thought that I would miss paper books and the "feel" of reading, but I find that I have adapted. I now change the page on my kindle without processing that I'm changing the page, just as I do with paper books. The difference is that I can easily carry literally hundreds of books at one time.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm about to get a kindle. But isn't the Voyager superior in all ways except it costs more?

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm
I'm about to get a kindle. But isn't the Voyager superior in all ways except it costs more?
The Paperwhite is arguably the best choice for most users.

The Voyage is slightly lighter weight and slimmer, has a slightly nicer backlight, adds an additional page turn option that some users like and some are indifferent to, and has a nicer build quality with a metal backshell and seamless, tempered glass screen instead of the plastic shell and slightly recessed plastic screen of the Paperwhite.

The consensus seems to be the Paperwhite does basically everything the Voyage does for a fairly sizeable price savings, but the Voyage is nicer in several subtle ways that frequent users will appreciate.

Compared to the basic Kindle, the Paperwhite has a nicer looking (whiter), higher resolution screen, and a built in light, although it is a bit heavier.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:11 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:42 pm
Kalo wrote:

Thanks.

Kalo
Interesting question. I just did a search and found out there is some sheet music available in Kindle format.

The Kindle can also read PDF's, in case you have it in that format or want to scan it. The challenge there is it's a 6" screen. Regular paper is equivalent to a 14" screen, so the music will be shrunk down quite small. You can zoom in, but then you can only see part of the page at a time.

On the Paperwhite, turning a page is as easy as a single tap on the screen, so that part is no problem.
Thanks for your reply. I have found a couple e-readers for sheet music: Gvido and Good E-Reader. Found them via Google search. The Gvido looks expensive but nice. It just came out. Hoping price will come down.

Kalo

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Kalo wrote:

Thanks.

Kalo
Don’t bother. Stick to real sheet music. The screen is way too tiny.

sleepwell

Post by sleepwell » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:27 pm

To my knowledge, audiobooks are not able to be played on the Kindle Paperwhite. This may or may not be important to you.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:54 pm

simmias wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm
I love love love my paperwhite. Great for night reading, outdoor reading, traveling, etc. The battery lasts forever and it's the easiest device on my eyes by far.
This.

cajungal

Post by cajungal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:12 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Just another gadget. I just use my tablet with a matte screen cover for my e-reading.
What product do you use?

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 pm

sleepwell wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:27 pm
To my knowledge, audiobooks are not able to be played on the Kindle Paperwhite. This may or may not be important to you.
I heard that Amazon is now delivering human readers to homes to read aloud books for people. This service is available for Prime members only.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 pm

cajungal wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:12 pm
runner3081 wrote:
What product do you use?
Bought a cheap matte screen cover on Amazon for my tablet and adjusted the colors, works great!

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:54 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:10 pm
I wonder if this is a result of Amazon driving most book stores out of business, and now they can raise prices at will. $10 for a book just a year or two ago, now it's $15.
Amazon doesn't set the price. The publisher does. It says so on every page. "Sold by: Random House LLC. Price set by seller."

There was a huge massive lawsuit about how Apple led an ebook pricing conspiracy. Here's one of many articles about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/tech ... pheld.html

Amazon wanted low prices for ebooks. Apple and the publishers didn't. Eventually Amazon gave up and now publishers set whatever price they want and Amazon has no control over it. It is called the "agency model" of pricing and the ship has sailed at this point; I don't think Amazon is interested in reopening the fight to lower prices.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 pm

I read a lot. Use a Kindle Voyage. Love it. Much better than a real book.

But the increased costs (books) is very disappointing. The ebooks were supposed to be much cheaper. Not true anymore.

prettybogle

Post by prettybogle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks y’all for replies. Looks like the members here are split about 50-50. Good reasons on both sides.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 pm

We have 4 kindles of various generations. Each of us including the kids have one.

We bought one with ads and eventually decided we no longer wanted the ads. Amazon charges $20 to remove the ads, but did it for us for free 'because you are a valued customer.' nice.

I use the Kindle when portability and battery life are at a premium. So it's great for backpacking and camping. Also much better than the iPad in bright light, and just generally more comfortable to read with because it is lightweight and can be held with one hand.

I use my libraries to download most Kindle books. Only when a book is not available in any library in either Kindle or physical format do I buy Kindle books. Fewer than 5 per year. The library is great.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 pm
I use my libraries to download most Kindle books. Only when a book is not available in any library in either Kindle or physical format do I buy Kindle books. Fewer than 5 per year. The library is great.
^ This. Very convenient downloading library books from the comfort of your home...or pretty much anywhere with WiFi (or cellular if you purchase the kindle with cell access)

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 pm

I have a Kindle Voyage that I use a lot especially while I travel. With Prime, the library and various bundle deals I don't have a problem getting inexpensive books. Also my house is overflowing with books (17 book cases) now anyway so I'd rather be selective about which physical books I buy.

prettybogle

Post by prettybogle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:41 pm

I just decided to give it a try so ordered paperwhite :D

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am

Gratz, you won’t regret it. If you are a voracious reader, you might try the free month of kindle unlimited. You can get some clunkers, but overall I find it worthwhile.
Some info:
https://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-unlimi ... scription/

Free trial:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... sr=1-1-acs

prettybogle

Post by prettybogle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:31 am

Although I am not prime member, my kindle is arriving this weekend itself :D . Our local library here does not have much of kindle collection. Please let me know what are any good online resources or free libraries for kindle books. I want to be ready to read my first kindle book :D

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:46 am

prettybogle wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:31 am
Although I am not prime member, my kindle is arriving this weekend itself :D . Our local library here does not have much of kindle collection. Please let me know what are any good online resources or free libraries for kindle books. I want to be ready to read my first kindle book :D
If you like classics start here (go a bit down on the page to get to the free books, it also shows low priced ones):

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=2245146011

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 am

I haven't read this thread carefully and I haven't been to a library for years but there used to be a library sharing service whereby you could get your library to order books that had been digitized from another library. I think it was called Overdrive. I haven't researched it lately but I think this may be one link:

http://blogs.overdrive.com/

I also know that years ago there was a Gutenberg Project to digitize classic books.

I have had many devices that I gave as gifts to friends so I tested a lot of them. Now that I've retired, I decided to reduce my careless purchase on Amazon!

When I travel, I use my Surface Pro 3 with an Kindle App. I also use the Surface for photographic software. At home if I am casually browsing a book, I use my Chromebook. I go to my Amazon account and check on orders, digital. I bring up the book I ordered and get the message that I ordered it previously. I can then read it on my Chromebook. I have a desktop, IPAD, laptops etc but I sit in my comfortable recliner and use my Chromebook for 95% of my reading and research.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:42 am

prettybogle wrote:
Its the only electronic gadget I have that doesn't strain my eyes actually. Their technology is tops when it comes to eye-strain in my opinion. I can't read a tablet for 8 hours on an airplane without eye strain but I can read a Kindle Paperwhite for 8 hours without eye-strain.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 am

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:44 pm
Edit: I see the paperwhite has a built in light. I'm curious how that works. Does that make the screen look like a computer screen? Because I wouldn't be interested in that.
No it does not make it look like a computer screen. eInk screens are opaque, so it is literally impossible to backlight them like a computer monitor, TV, tablet, or phone screen. Kindles are front-lit, using an LED strip at the edge of the screen (usually on the bottom) and a thin overlay that directs the light down onto the screen where it is reflected back. The effect is the same as having an overhead light shining on a piece of paper, albeit dramatically more even. That's why eReader screens are not hard on the eyes in the same way that say, tablet screens are.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am

prettybogle wrote:
I've owned a few iterations of the Kindle and for some reason, I just can't get into them.
Don't get me wrong, they do have their uses (ie: decent screen, customization options, and the ability to carry a library with you in one small device)

I feel like a I read and retain information better from a physical paper book.

$89.99 is usually the 'normal' price for these...they go on sale often and that's the usual price point for the Paperwhite and it rarely will go lower.

slayed

Post by slayed » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am

Looks like the $89.99 deal is already over :(

Back up to $119.99 this morning.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am

slayed wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am

They go back to the $89.99 price point frequently.

Also, the current version of the Paperwhite has been on the market for almost 2 years...I believe it may be due for a refresh or upgrade soon, just like the Oasis.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm

I use the iPad for an ereader. I don't know what all dedicated Kindle readers can do. Anyway, I noted some resources for free books in a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=224406

If the Kindle can't handle epub books, then there are programs and services to convert one format to another that might work.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

voltaire

Post by voltaire » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

I had one which I returned.

1. Screen was very small which meant small text. One of the advantages of an ereader for older folks is that text size can be increased. But the PW screen was too small to make larger type usable.

2. Difficult to impossible to download public library books (maybe that's a feature from Amazon's point of view).

Bought a Samsung 10" tablet on sale at Costco and am borrowing library books and expanding the type to read them. Download the Kindle app and it is quite easy.

slayed

Post by slayed » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am
slayed wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am

They go back to the $89.99 price point frequently.

Also, the current version of the Paperwhite has been on the market for almost 2 years...I believe it may be due for a refresh or upgrade soon, just like the Oasis.
According to camelcamelcamel that is not the case. https://camelcamelcamel.com/Amazon-Kind ... B00OQVZDJM

The price usually bounces around between $99 and $119 and has only been $89.99 once.