metal roof: standing seam vs interlocking panels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cantos

metal roof: standing seam vs interlocking panels

Post by cantos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:02 am

Hello boglehomeowners,

We're installing a metal roof and can't decide to do a standing seam or interlocking panels. Unfortunately, a double standing seam is out of the question, as it will run me more than $30k up here in Canada.

So option 1 is what looks like a snap/interlocking standing seam as seen here:

Option 2 is just interlocking panels (not standing seam), they put down strips (what they call strapping) on top of current roof, and put the metal on top of the straps. They say that lifting up the roof an inch or so like that provides some good venting and prevents ice buildup. Like this:

These two options both cost around $20k (don't gasp at the prices, we're talking Canadian dollars here).

Season-wise, the roof will get lots of exposure to the elements. We live in snow country so get tons of snow and ice up here in the winter, and the summers can get hot too.

Please give me some thoughts on which is better or if they're both basically the same, which would explain why the cost the same.

Thanks!

Sandtrap

Re: metal roof: standing seam vs interlocking panels

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 am

simplicity
no chance of wood stapping/lathe rot
as you have illustrated is more "gimmicky" and has more points of failure than #1.
There is more structural integrity in fastening directly to the deck.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hand

Post by hand » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:39 am

If I'm understanding correctly, your two options are #1 a new standing seam roof, or #2 interlocking panels placed over a failing shingles?

#2 feels like an inferior technology (interlocking panels vs. standing seam) installed in an inferior manner (over old roof vs. replacing old roof).
Additionally, worth considering whether leaving old shingles in place will decrease your building's ability to deal with snow load.

If #2 was significantly cheaper and you weren't planning to own the property for many years, it might be worth considering. Given the cost parity, I'm having trouble understanding why #2 would be considered (though I'm in no way an expert).

My bet is that #2 is proposed by one of the many roofing hacks out there who with offer a big discount for signing *today* if you decline their offer.

novicemoney

Post by novicemoney » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Can you stand and walk on #2? We have a standing seam roof with no complaints. As a side note standing seam is a good roof if you are going to put in solar panels. The panels are attached to the standing "fins" instead of drilling through the roof.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 pm

standing seam. No exposed fasteners or exposed punctures.

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm

I had a standing seam metal roof on an old house of mine and loved it. It was the same as your #1 example. I would go that way in a heartbeat. It will likely last longer than you live there also. So, think of money spent that way... getting many years for your money.

The #2 example makes it look like a shed, IMO. I wouldn't used that for a house. As mentioned, it's also lower grade tech. and performance. I would only use that if it was way cheaper and you had to save money.

Look at what is used on most homes and resorts in ski country. That should be a good indicator of what works in those conditions. Hint... it's standing seam. :happy

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm

I think there's a bunch of interlocking products, some that also have no exposed fasteners and with a range of different style options, so I'm not sure if the immediate dismissals of that option is quite apt. Do you have more details about the product you were quoted?

keaton

Post by keaton » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Keep this in mind since your in snow country. The standing seem metal roof makes an amazing snow slide! Depending on roof height and pitch, the snow comes off like a rocket. Make sure you talk to a good roofer about putting stop rails up. Either on the whole house or just over doorways so you don’t hurt yourself or others.

If you have dormers in a stop rail section, make sure that the dormers or correctly flashed and sealed. Why? Because if you keep the snow on your roof, it can melt and work its was between the flashing.

I’m not an expert at this, just issues that I have seen at my parent-in-laws house. They have no stop rails and the snow comes off so fast it sounds like half the house caved in at times. Personally, I love standing seem and my wife and I are going to be using it on our house build with solar install. I wouldn’t use anything else!

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Another vote for the standing seam. I have a standing seam copper roof on a small portion of my house (the rest is slate). I love it, including the look. Snow guards may be needed, though. I would steer clear of the interlock product.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:43 pm

My vote would be to avoid option 2. They don't say how they allow ventilation without allowing wind blown moisture and thus creating a new issue. If there is inadequate ventilation movement through the lathe, the air gap would do nothing to help ice damming. I.e. heat will still transfer through the air gap.

cantos

Post by cantos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks all, looks like it's almost unanimous. Standing seam it is.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Out of idle curiosity, what drives the consistent warnings against the interlocking panels? I haven't seen this stuff before, and while after looking up their website, I don't think it's likely to outperform standing seam, I'm not seeing an obvious major weakness.

I'm not understanding the ventilation concerns since it is in principle similar to the eave/soffit venting and baffles that I think are now required by the IRC in new construction.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 pm
Out of idle curiosity, what drives the consistent warnings against the interlocking panels? I haven't seen this stuff before, and while after looking up their website, I don't think it's likely to outperform standing seam, I'm not seeing an obvious major weakness.

I'm not understanding the ventilation concerns since it is in principle similar to the eave/soffit venting and baffles that I think are now required by the IRC in new construction.
Besides having a long long track record of reliability, as long as the materials and installation are top notch, there's an inherent structural integrity and simplicity of design in the standing seam roofing. There is no major weakness in the interlocking design, again, if done with top notch materials and installation. But it is far easier to do a marginal installation with the interlocking than the standing seam which is near "idiot proof". And, as mentioned before, there is a structural integrity inherent to the standing seam because it is fastened directly to the deck, not lathing.
As far as ventilation, eave/soffit venting is not the same as the deck roofing. Principles are different.

Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 am

I worked for a GC in a past life, and architects specified standing seam on every school I built. I was told by an architect or two that this was due to the durability of the system, as most school districts have limited maintenance budgets. It was also specified on a few state buildings up in the Yosemite area. I cannot remember a warranty call where there was a roof leak due to a failure or improper installation of the standing seam, as others have stated it is a difficult system to install incorrectly. We always used something like Ice & Water Sheild or “peel and stick” in lieu of traditional paper as our underlayment, which probably contributed to the durability of the roofing system.

E

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am

keaton wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm
Keep this in mind since your in snow country. The standing seem metal roof makes an amazing snow slide! Depending on roof height and pitch, the snow comes off like a rocket. Make sure you talk to a good roofer about putting stop rails up. Either on the whole house or just over doorways so you don’t hurt yourself or others.
I agree completely. We have a standing seam metal roof on a small commercial building. As the sun heats up the roof, the snow and ice sometimes slides off in big chunks. It could be dangerous to people, as well as cars if they are parked near the building. We ended up having to install two rows of snow guards on each side of the building. Make sure to go ahead and do this when they are installing the roof so everything matches.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:17 am

I was looking at standing seam vs exposed fasteners, vs stone coated metal roofing. Exposed fasteners after 10 years have to replace them. We have a 10-12 pitch roof on a modified a-frame.
Stone coated looked promising until you read that the stone will not adhere and most falls off.
standing seam was just too expensive for us. But i did all the research into it. make sure they take the shingles off and check the roof. New paper/ice water dam in areas its needed. The strapping while it works its to save on tear off and haul away of the old roof. Check the roof now so there are no issues later on.
We went with a 30 year architectural shingle instead, We may do metal, but first I would like to have a better siding.