Hyatt Legal first hand experiences ? (new Employer benefit)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Hyatt Legal first hand experiences ? (new Employer benefit)

Post by ResearchMed »

We have one new Employer Benefit this year, and Open Enrollment ends in about 2 weeks.

It's Hyatt Legal, and the monthly fee is quite modest. But that's no advantage if the service is of no value, obviously.

It so happens that we are about to re-do our wills and trust docs.
(We just went through this with MIL, and I think her cost was excessive for something relatively simple, but that wasn't my call at all.)
We also need to set up something like a Special Needs Trust for SIL, which is something DH wants for part of his estate plan.
(She is already named as a significant beneficiary, but we both feel increasingly uncomfortable with her getting a big lump sum at some point.)

It seems that for this alone (our own wills/trust docs), this would be a good year to get Hyatt Legal, even if we didn't think it would be particularly useful for any type of lawsuit (IF they even do that, and also, *IF* we had anyone we needed to sue, which we certainly aren't aware of...).

We don't know anything about the caliber of attorneys who participate.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Hyatt Legal? For wills/trusts? For anything else?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Snezz1e

Re: Hyatt Legal first hand experiences ? (new Employer benefit)

Post by Snezz1e »

My brother signed up for this at a cost of $220/year so he can set up a will which would pay for itself in the first year. He hasn't done that yet but he did use them for a traffic ticket and it worked out well. One thing about the plan is you can go out of network and they reimburse you based on a set schedule

We live in Las Vegas and normally you can pay a lawyer $50-100 and they go to court for you and get non-major violations reduced to a parking violation and a slightly reduced fine. The ticket he received though was from Tribal police on our way back from St George. They have a small strip of land on I-15 they patrol. The officer put the ticket through tribal court instead of the Justice Court as a "favor" to us as tribal court doesn't report violations to DMV so no points. The real reason is they get to keep all fines from tribal court and nothing from justice court. Because of this we could not use a Las Vegas lawyer as they only deal with Justice Courts as I think they can negotiate ticket remotely for justice court but not tribal court.

Even though they don't report to DMV, by just paying fine it would still be admission of guilt and not disclosing to car insurer when shopping for insurance could be considered fraud. So he decided to find a local lawyer to represent him for the ticket to try to negotiate down to avoid driving about 1.5 hours each way to go to court in person. Hyatt didn't have a network lawyer in the tribal area so he hired a out of network lawyer for $200. The out of network reimbursement for traffic tickets was $200 or $250. The lawyer was able to negotiate down to a non-moving violation and reduce the fine by $50. The claim process was pretty simple too. He e-mailed the claim form with a receipt from the lawyer and they paid in less than 2 weeks.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

I used it for a year at work and had a will prepared for my wife and me. We had a great experience with it. I thought the lawyer we worked with was very comprehensive and set up a great set of documents for us.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

I used Hyatt for a will and trust. The selection of lawyers is limited, but in a decent-sized city, there's still lots of options. We were happy with the service.

That said, I think Hyatt might've come out ahead on the deal. I signed up for nearly 8 years before I actually went and got the will done. It's one of those things you know you ought to do, but it's not especially pleasant and easy to procrastinate on.
Pedro Smada

Post by Pedro Smada »

I have used Hyatt Legal twice in the period of 10 years to write and then update a will and trust. I used the same attorney both times. She seemed very competent. I suppose that you don't know how competent the attorney is until the will/trust is invoked. Then it's to late. Maybe while on Hyatt, have the work done then use it to get another attorney for a second opinion.
If you sign up...use it!
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Thanks!

Having just gone through quite an ordeal with MIL's updated will/trust docs, we are now eager to turn to update ours, as our situation has changed (plus we need to have DH set up a Trust for SIL).

We were about to do this, but were no longer particularly impressed (understatement) with the attorney who had done our old ones (the same guy who just made MIL's process unpleasant).

We'll make the appointment right after the start of the year, when the Hyatt Legal program kicks in.
Using it just for these docs should make the modest annual fee well worthwhile. After that, for the following year, we'll reassess.

RM
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Pedro Smada wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm I have used Hyatt Legal twice in the period of 10 years to write and then update a will and trust. I used the same attorney both times. She seemed very competent. I suppose that you don't know how competent the attorney is until the will/trust is invoked. Then it's to late. Maybe while on Hyatt, have the work done then use it to get another attorney for a second opinion.
If you sign up...use it!
Expect to pay twice as much, at least, to review a will as to generate it. When an attorney writes a will for you, she is using software and templates her firm developed and reviewed and approved. When reviewing a document, she is starting from scratch, and will expect to be held liable if you later decide there was something she should have found and missed. She will be diligent, thorough, and cautious. That costs money.
sco

Post by sco »

Used for Trusts, Wills, POA's, traffic tickets, basic questions, and contract review.

I now keep it each year, even if I don't know what I will use it for. It is cheaper here to have it for a year than to get a traffic ticket fixed, which is a pretty remedial task.

Look up your local lawyers if you can and see how many are in your area of interest.

Some employers also will cover the employees parents. So for your $200+ a year, your parents can also change/update their wills, trusts, etc.

I've had good success. I just called a few and selected one. If we ever get over 5M/10M assets we will probably actually hire a lawyer.
Lawyer indicated that they paid him well with no hassle, so he liked Hyatt Legal clients. Probably has something to do with no need for collections :)
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

My experience was positive, they contract with some number of local firms who do the work. Had wills, POA, and death instructions prepared all for free. They will also make updates for free. I plan to test the boundaries for what is covered because I need to set up some trusts so will see how that goes..........
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I would be concerned that only inexperienced lawyers are on the list. I am sure that's not totally the case but they pay attorneys so little that I can't imagine the best ones are on the list. I thus think finding the diamond in the rough might be tough here. Also, things like special needs trusts have lots of intricate rules and should be prepared by an expert.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

We actually just recently had our POAs, wills and trusts completed through Hyatt Legal. They gave us a list of attorneys in the area and then we researched each one before deciding on one. Our experience with our attorney was overall very good. One thing to note is that the documents seem be 'recycled' and we caught some clerical errors when we reviewed the documents prior to the signing. Other than that, the attorney was very informative and answered many of our questions and also gave very good advice.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

3dream3 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 am We actually just recently had our POAs, wills and trusts completed through Hyatt Legal. They gave us a list of attorneys in the area and then we researched each one before deciding on one. Our experience with our attorney was overall very good. One thing to note is that the documents seem be 'recycled' and we caught some clerical errors when we reviewed the documents prior to the signing. Other than that, the attorney was very informative and answered many of our questions and also gave very good advice.
Thanks. This is helpful.

About the "recycled" bit... we have no problem with use of general templates. But do you know if they allowed one to customize for specific changes?

We "know what we want to do"; we just don't know the exact legal terminology/formatting so as to best plan that it "works".
(It's only slightly different from what we already have... some updating, and the biggest change is adding the Trust for SIL.

RM
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 am About the "recycled" bit... we have no problem with use of general templates. But do you know if they allowed one to customize for specific changes?

We "know what we want to do"; we just don't know the exact legal terminology/formatting so as to best plan that it "works".
(It's only slightly different from what we already have... some updating, and the biggest change is adding the Trust for SIL.

RM
I think that it would depend on how customized the changes would be. I was asking our attorney about different trusts and as a side conversation, he said that the revocable living trust is covered by the Hyatt Plan but would have to check if irrevocable trusts are covered by the plan. We didn't need an irrevocable trust so we didn't have him check but that conversation made me believe that certain things would not be covered. Fortunately, our situation was fairly simple. So, maybe as part of the initial consultation, it would be good to find out what they consider to be covered or not.
student

Post by student »

I have used it for a living trust and a will. My colleagues have used them to take care of traffic tickets.
sco

Post by sco »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 am
3dream3 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 am We actually just recently had our POAs, wills and trusts completed through Hyatt Legal. They gave us a list of attorneys in the area and then we researched each one before deciding on one. Our experience with our attorney was overall very good. One thing to note is that the documents seem be 'recycled' and we caught some clerical errors when we reviewed the documents prior to the signing. Other than that, the attorney was very informative and answered many of our questions and also gave very good advice.
Thanks. This is helpful.

About the "recycled" bit... we have no problem with use of general templates. But do you know if they allowed one to customize for specific changes?

RM

Mine were software generated, like a lot of them these days. But full customization wasn't a problem.