Magic Jack Go vs Obihai obi200- which one as landline replacement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
buckeye7983

Magic Jack Go vs Obihai obi200- which one as landline replacement?

Post by buckeye7983 »

Looking to replace current VOIP landline from cable TV. Want to keep current "landline" phone number.

Trying to understand which of these would be a better choice. Most important factors are 1) functionally acts like our current landline (want to keep using our current handsets, 2) cost, 3) keep current landline phone number, 4) works with Nomorobo. All factors are not requirements, but are listed in order of importance.

All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
euroswiss

Re: Magic Jack Go vs Obihai obi200- which one as landline replacement?

Post by euroswiss »

buckeye7983 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am Looking to replace current VOIP landline from cable TV. Want to keep current "landline" phone number.

Trying to understand which of these would be a better choice. Most important factors are 1) functionally acts like our current landline (want to keep using our current handsets, 2) cost, 3) keep current landline phone number, 4) works with Nomorobo. All factors are not requirements, but are listed in order of importance.

I’m interested in this thread as I’m considering the landline replacement too at the moment. I’ve had a very bad experience with customer service for Magic Jack (dealing with my MIL’s account), so for that reason will not consider them. I have heard good things about obi200, but I’m currently leaning toward Ooma (they do charge an annoying $40 to port your number though...)
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Obi will do all that:
- Zero monthly fees (except our internet)
- Kept old number
- Works with our existing home phone 'network', our old handsets

We had to do this:
- Port our number to T-mobile
- Then port our number to Google Voice
- Disconnect the legacy phone service from the utility panel (required some wires to be cut)
- Connect the Obi200 via a regular phone jack

Google the detailed instructions for each step as necessary. We've had this setup for about a year and have been very pleased! We got the 2-port Obi202 so we could keep our fax machine connected as well.
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

I've been using VOIP service for home in one form or another for about a decade. First, it was with the short-lived T-Mobile at home service. Most recently, with Google Voice and an obi200 SIP bridge.

The Google Voice service provides us with free calls, but I do pay an annual fee for a separate e911 service, because 911 otherwise will not work with obi200 and Google voice. The fee is only ~$20 per year. I have small children and frequent guests, so I feel it is important that the handsets have service to emergency responders. There are instructions on the obi forum for how to set this up.

I have not used Magic Jack, so I cannot comment on it. The obi200 is great.

We use the obi200 with a wireless handset. I have used it to drive the local phone wiring in my house in the past. However, before I did that, I disconnected the phone company's line from my network entirely. I wanted no chance for my adapter to try to backdrive a line going to a phone company-controlled node. This may be overkill, but wasn't a big deal: went up in the attic and untwisted the exterior phone line from the bundle of terminations. Obviously you can't do this if you are using your phone line for internet, like DSL, and you would need to reconnect it if you ever wanted to use DSL or regular POTS / landline service again in the future.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Ooma is good too for under $5 a month.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

i have a obi200, and it works great. Installed one at my dads house and wired it in, to make all his jacks in his house work. he is happy with it.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

rec7 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:26 pm Ooma is good too for under $5 a month.
Just be aware with Ooma that if you want the advanced features like Nomorobo, you have to upgrade to Premier service which is another $130+ a year with all taxes and fees.

They also have terrible customer service. Just last week my device was flashing and first level customer support said it couldn't be fixed because my device was too old (three years old) to update the software and tried to sell me a new device. Second level customer support did the same thing but then updated the software on my device after I said I would find another VOIP provider instead. I consider that fraudulent. I have also had problems with inappropriate billing of fees and taxes that took complaints to the regulatory body to correct.

So while I am still using them out of inertia, I will switch if my device fails or I find time to research a better provider.

I will also warn people about them every chance I get! 8-)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I've used Magic Jack for years and am very happy with it. Was able to port my home phone # and use all of my existing phones. Low cost annual fee and you can get it even lower by paying for 5 years. Set it and forget it.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I'm not familiar with either but will chime in that we got rid of our landline and never regretted it. I ported our landline number to my cell. I believe that was through AT&T at the time.
retire14

Post by retire14 »

I have been using Obihai for a number of years. No problems. I bought a unit for $50 years ago and it is still working. They did ask for a $10 for tech support a few years back. But over all, I am very pleased.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Using Obihai for the past 5 years with no issues. Pay $15/year for emergency service provider, they make it easy to sign up for it.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 pm I've used Magic Jack for years and am very happy with it. Was able to port my home phone # and use all of my existing phones. Low cost annual fee and you can get it even lower by paying for 5 years. Set it and forget it.
Mel,

I'm glad you've had good luck with Magic Jack, but I just had a second one crap out after about four months. The one before that had lasted since they developed the dongle that works when the computer is off (MJ Go), and it died about two months before the year I had paid for ran out.

When it works, it's great. But, I've been treated to their idea of tech support once too often and decided to just buy a new one since there wasn't much time left to go on the year of service I purchased. As I said, the replacement lasted barely four months. Now, they will replace the dead dongle - if I give them another $45, i.e., buy yet another year of service and hope that it lasts. (Oh yeh, it's a special deal, just for today, etc.)

I am not willing to send them more money at this point - if the third is also no good I will need to spend an hour or two typing to a "tech support" script typer who acts as if no one ever though to check connections or can tell a phone cable from an ethernet cable before they will send a replacement - and still have to pay "shipping and handling" for the replacement. Etc.

So, has anyone tried CallCentric? Their pay-as-you-go "plan" sounds good to me - but only if it works. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.callcentric.com/

I am a light user; pay-as-you-go works for me. I do need overseas access. Just want a backup to my cell.

Vic
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

legio XX wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am
Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 pm I've used Magic Jack for years and am very happy with it. Was able to port my home phone # and use all of my existing phones. Low cost annual fee and you can get it even lower by paying for 5 years. Set it and forget it.
Mel,

I'm glad you've had good luck with Magic Jack, but I just had a second one crap out after about four months. The one before that had lasted since they developed the dongle that works when the computer is off (MJ Go), and it died about two months before the year I had paid for ran out.

When it works, it's great. But, I've been treated to their idea of tech support once too often and decided to just buy a new one since there wasn't much time left to go on the year of service I purchased. As I said, the replacement lasted barely four months. Now, they will replace the dead dongle - if I give them another $45, i.e., buy yet another year of service and hope that it lasts. (Oh yeh, it's a special deal, just for today, etc.)

I am not willing to send them more money at this point - if the third is also no good I will need to spend an hour or two typing to a "tech support" script typer who acts as if no one ever though to check connections or can tell a phone cable from an ethernet cable before they will send a replacement - and still have to pay "shipping and handling" for the replacement. Etc.

So, has anyone tried CallCentric? Their pay-as-you-go "plan" sounds good to me - but only if it works. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.callcentric.com/

I am a light user; pay-as-you-go works for me. I do need overseas access. Just want a backup to my cell.

Vic
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Mine has been just the opposite, but that's no consolation to you.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Just another data point.

I've been using service from a company by the name of Voipo for about ten years now. It costs $149+taxes=$185 for 2 years of prepaid service which equates to $7.71/month. This is a 'special' price that is currently in effect but it is typically available a few times each year. Voipo provides the hardware (router) at no cost and it connects to one of the ports on your wireless router. Your phone system then plugs into their router. If the router breaks they replace it at no cost but mine never has. I don't know the exact feature list on the other services but on Voipo we especially like the simul-ring feature which allows us to receive calls simultaneously on a cell phone, E911 and voicemail forwarded to email. All these features and many more are are included at no additional cost (see list below) and many are 'premium' features that cost much more at higher profile providers. We have had a good experience with the Voipo service as well as their phone support.

Here is a complete list of included features from Voipo's website:

7, 10, and 11 Digit Dialing
Caller ID w/ Name
Call Waiting w/ ID
Three Way Calling
Call Forwarding
Call Blocking
Do Not Disturb
*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking
*69 Call Return

Transfer In Your Current Number
Choose Your Own Area Code
Keep Your Number If You Move
Amazing Customer Service
Portable VoIP Device
Softphone Access
e911 Service
711 Service
411 Directory Assistance

Custom Incoming Caller ID
Contacts List
Online Call Logs
Unlimited Speed Dial
Advanced Voicemail
View Voicemails Online
Voicemails E-Mailed
Voicemail SMS Notifications
Distinctive Ringtones
Virtual Numbers
Virtual Number Voicemail Boxes
Network Failover Forwarding
Custom Inbound Call Routing
Custom Outbound Call Routing
Inbound SIP Address Routing
Outbound SIP Address Routing
Simultaneous Ring
Control Features by SMS

Website address: www.voipo.com
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Fri May 25, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

buckeye7983 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am Looking to replace current VOIP landline from cable TV. Want to keep current "landline" phone number.

Not even a contest: Obi200 + Google Voice. It leaves you with a phone system which looks feels and acts like a normal telephone system.... for $0/month with perfect sound quality (add $15/yr for E911 service). Used it for years, no complaints.
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

I have been using obi for about 7 years now, and it is just like a normal landline.
I bought a 100 for 25 dollars first, and then upgraded to a 200 last year for about $35. Couldn't be happier.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Another satisfied obi+Google voice customer. $15/yr is hard to beat.
jocdoc

Post by jocdoc »

I have used nettalk for years.It works fine on all my phone jacks. I ported my home number. Free calls to Canada and Mexico, e911. FYI for these VOIP to sound well you need an internet connection faster than 1.5 downloads, best if 5 or more.
chrissv

Post by chrissv »

I got dissatisfied with MagicJack quality a few years ago. Ported out my number, even though they wanted to charge me a $35 "disconnection" fee (which isn't permitted by the port-out law). Just ignored their "request" for payment and ported out anyway.

I have an OBI200 + Vimeo. It was the cheapest I could find keeping 911 and having very low usage. I am extremely satisfied with my choice. I was hesitant for the Google Voice "free" route but others have used it successfully.

My $0.02

-- Steven
retire14

Post by retire14 »

OBi 100 here. Worked well for a number of years. recently bought a Obi 200 as an upgrade. Highly recommended.
dodonnell

Post by dodonnell »

Obi100 with www.voip.ms

NOTE: GoogleVoice will discontinue working with Obi100/101 shortly, you need to upgrade to an Obi200 series

www.voip.ms
- $0.85 / month per DID
- screens out auto-dialers/telemarketers with Autoattendant that requires the caller to press any key on the keypad to get through
- callerID handling bypasses Auto-attendant and simultaneously rings my cell phone when VIPs call (my aging mother, mother-in-law, relatives, or other frequent desired callers)
- manage not only my account, by putting my mother and mother-in-law on Obi200 also, so we could block telemarketers and get copied on all their voicemails via email mp3 to our cell phones
Watty

Post by Watty »

I didn't look a lot into using Google Voice since I would have so many privacy concerns with them. There is the saying "If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product."

We were getting an excessive number of sales and robo calls, like a half dozen a day. We are now using Ooma Premium for the "spam" filtering. It allows us to set up the filtering. In addition to the Nomorobo call filtering, that does not ring even once, we have several specific numbers blocked.

We were also getting a lot of calls where they spoofed the phone number to look like ours. For example if your phone number is (123) 456-7890 the caller ID would show (123) 456-nnnn where "nnnn" is a random number. We have set it so that any phone number that starts with (123)-456 automatically goes to voicemail unless it is in our contact list.

We now only get a few spam calls per week that get through the filters.

This is not the cheapest choice but it is working well for us and it still costs a lot less than we were paying with the local phone company or using VOIP through our internet company.
dodonnell

Post by dodonnell »

Watty wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 am ...snip... We have set it so that any phone number that starts with (123)-456 automatically goes to voicemail unless it is in our contact list.

We now only get a few spam calls per week that get through the filters.
...snip...
An auto-attendant, that requires the caller to press a key to avoid going directly to voice-mail, seems to be the solution to block ALL robot dialers. Those systems only connect to a live operator after they detect the call has been answered.

Several services provide this capability, which is configured in the service providers Web interface to their (usually Asterisk) server. I chose www.voip.ms after a thorough review several years ago. Anveo was my runner up 2nd place. (Both originally recommended here by well informed fellow Bogleheads).

Warning: www.voip.ms provides many capabilities free of charge (hunting, simultaneous ring groups, multiple auto attendants, voicemail emailed, fax via email, SMS text message send/receive, etc.), however, their interface is complex and advanced. I would only recommend it to someone with access to, or background in, telephony expertise.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

OK, one more query from the techno-challenged: I looked up Obi 100/200.

Like Watty I'm not enthusiastic about the Google data vacuum and rather use something else. They get enough from me through my work acc'ts. Will also look into Steven's suggestion, Vimeo.

If I buy an Obi will it work with any VOIP provider or is it locked to Google (like the MJ dongle only works with MJ)? Do I need to look for a Vimeo-compatible Obi? My phones are old Panasonics. Can I assume they will work with an Obi?

Thanks for the info.

Vic
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

rec7 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:26 pm Ooma is good too for under $5 a month.
+1 We've been using them for years now. Only reason I didn't ditch the landline is that way too many people only have it and it was too much trouble to get everybody to use our mobiles exclusively...
chrissv

Post by chrissv »

legio XX wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 am If I buy an Obi will it work with any VOIP provider?
Yes, it will work with any provider.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I may go for one of these myself. I appreciate the references on how different ones do spam management, as our landline number is valuable for many old contacts, but also gets lots of spam calls.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Good thread. I have used Ooma for many years and it works well, so I am leaving well enough alone.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Magic Jack recently instituted a spam robocall filter. They make the caller press a random number before putting the call through. Doesn't totally eliminate spam, but certainly gives a long way since most spam calls originate with robodialers.
uslee2004

Post by uslee2004 »

Used VOIP for years. Transferred to obi202 in February. Very happen with the service thus far.

I did use Magic Jack once, but that was 10+ years ago when it still needs to be connected with a computer, not even directly to network cable. Gave that one to a friend since I did not really use it much then.

Just my experience.
uslee
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

chrissv wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:18 am
legio XX wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 am If I buy an Obi will it work with any VOIP provider?
Yes, it will work with any provider.
Thanks!
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

I kind of left this up in the air and forgot about it. Magic Jack has just started sending me renewal emails and that reminded me. Here's why I gave up on them:

I started with MJ in 2009 on the advice of a phone co rep who admitted to using it himself. Back then, the MJ only worked when the computer was on and I don't usually leave mine on when I'm not using it. Can't remember any problem with it. I would have called myself a satisfied customer.

Then they got the new version (Magic Jack Plus/GO) that didn't need the computer on. I ordered it as soon as the original was expiring (and, yeh, I am really glad I never bought a 5-year bargain package!). I'm guessing this was sometime in 2012 since the new MJ came out in 2011 according to Prof. Web. Opened the box and hooked it up - and that's when it hit the fan. I thought I was doing something wrong even though the set-up is very simple. It was embarrassing, but I asked a tech savvy neighbor for help.

A guy who raised three kids is a lot more patient than I am, but even he was seriously p***ed by the time we got through. He called the dongle "a piece of s***" and between us I estimate we wasted about four hours getting "tech support" to hit me for another 15 bucks to ship a replacement. My neighbor's estimate was that the "tech" guy was sitting in a chair wheeling from screen to screen and running scripts; you had to be on the line a long time before anything they typed was relevant.

The MJ Plus/GO dongle #2 worked until fall 2017, so not too shabby. When it died, I had only about 6 weeks before needing to renew so I went to BestBuy rather than hassle with tech no-support. MJ Plus/GO dongle #3 crapped out after about four months. It had lasted past BestBuy's date for taking it back (yeh, the date was on the sales receipt) so I was stuck with MJ. It was a re-run of the first episode. IF I forked out for another year's service, they would do me the big favor of adding on the eight months still to go on the dead dongle -BUT if that one also crapped out I was stuck with tech-on-wheels to get a replacement, and yeh, I would have to pay the inflated shipping cost as well. You can get a human being if you call the billing number, but all they do is take money, anything else is the chat-bot tech. Given the two out of three failure rate, I decided to recycle the dead dongle and eat the loss.

Other problems: If you do a web search, there is a number of posts about MJ tracking your calls and browsing, the "you are the product" trope. No idea who they would sell this info to, but it bugs me anyway.

Their website is set up to cause mistakes, and they won't refund if you make one. When MJ first offered overseas calling minutes it seemed like a good deal and I bought some. But, when I clicked the payment button nothing happened, at least not on the screen. I stupidly thought I'd made a mistake and clicked again, still nothing, so I logged out. Then the credit card bill came, and I had bought twice the minutes, 2 purchases, that I wanted. Not a big deal, assumed I would eventually use them - but they expired long before I could use most of it. Where was the expiry info (you can bet it wasn't on the screen where you buy the minutes)? The smarmy "rep" told me it was in the TOS on their site and no, I wouldn't get any money or minutes back. A "read TOS on MJ.com" message probably skimmed past sometime in 2009, but this kind of gotcha game puts MJ on my no-buy list.

No thoughts about the phone app; never tried it.
wcshaff

Post by wcshaff »

Have had Obi for many years, at two houses. Very satisfied. Started with the OBI100 and now have the Obi200. Hooks to an ATT cordless speakerphone with 3 remotes. I would recommend adding the 911 feature (Obi has a vendor they use).
xb7

Post by xb7 »

We used Obihai for several years and overall it worked, but it's somewhat 'geeky' to set up and occasionally maintain if anything at all comes up.
We finally moved away from it because, if I recall correctly, it seemed like sometimes we just wouldn't get a call, someone would call and get no answer but it wouldn't ring for us. Something like that, anyway. Might have been the intervening service we used (Phonepower, I think?), but who knows.

We ended up going with a T-Mobile deal for people over 55 years old, $60/month gives us each a cell phone with unlimited everything, including some international utility. Bought a set of phone handsets that connect to the cell phones via bluetooth so we still have the more traditional handset approach to getting/making calls from home.

This isn't 'perfect' either, but it's pretty good, and nice now to have a decent cellphone plan as part of the overall picture.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

xb7 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:20 pm We used Obihai for several years and overall it worked, but it's somewhat 'geeky' to set up and occasionally maintain if anything at all comes up.
We finally moved away from it because, if I recall correctly, it seemed like sometimes we just wouldn't get a call, someone would call and get no answer but it wouldn't ring for us. Something like that, anyway. Might have been the intervening service we used (Phonepower, I think?), but who knows.
Agree about the initial setup. We have it for over 5 years and have little problems. Did not renew e911.
We just use ATT cellular as our primary.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have had VoIP service for many years. I started with Magic Jack when you had to have your PC on. Now however, you do not. I moved from Magic Jack to Vonage. Had them awhile, better quality than Magic Jack at the time, but Vonage continuously raised their rates. I got tired of negotiating price reductions with Vonage, so I ported to Ooma. I have had them for over eight years. Current bill is $4.96/month.

IMHO, of the three services I have used, I like Ooma the best. Excellent clarity of calls, but honestly it has been so long since I had Magic Jack or Vonage, perhaps their voice quality has improved.

I have an older Ooma device, but I bought a newer one a few years back as it was a great bargain. My old Ooma device keeps on working.

I tested Vonage and Ooma for E911 service, both worked flawlessly. I can't remember if I could do E911 from Magic Jack, too long ago.

It is probably possible to get a better rate for VoIP from someone else, but at $5 a month, not worth my time and energy.

I have two sets of cordless phone systems with multiple handsets, so we have handsets all over the place. I thought my older cordless system was broken, but after I bought a new cordless system, I repaired the old one so now have handsets galore.

Most calls to Ooma go to voice mail unless I recognize the number calling, which is announced when a call comes in.

Wife insists on keeping our number we have had since 1978. I'm not going to argue with her over $60/year. Not worth it to me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
wander

Post by wander »

Obihai all the way!
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Having use magicjack years ago, worst ever experience, I switched to nettalk, it worked well for years. Till this last year, when they announced a "new" device, which will cost more, suddenly the old Nettalk device (it was only 3 months old got very quirky, I had to restart it almost every day.
About 6 months ago I switched to Obihai with Google Voice. Works like a charm.

Obihai + Google Voice :sharebeer
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.