Windows 10 Recent Updates

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ubermax

Windows 10 Recent Updates

Post by ubermax » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 pm

A blitz of updates recently some big others small - yesterday a driver update was installed , "Intel Corp. - System - 7/3/2017" and it appears under Update History as successfully installed yesterday ; now today under Settings/Windows Update it says updates are available ,i.e. "We need to start a separate installation to complete this update , i.e. the same one that was installed yesterday ; Select install to start it "

Should I be suspicious of this update being that it was installed yesterday or should I just assume something was missed and now it's being corrected ; anyone here get notice of this update ?

jebmke

Re: Windows 10 Recent Updates

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:42 pm

My last update for Windows 10 Pro was 9/13. System shows up to date. There have been a few app updates (Outlook, Office) since but no system updates.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:42 pm
My last update for Windows 10 Pro was 9/13. System shows up to date. There have been a few app updates (Outlook, Office) since but no system updates.
Recently when I open Setting/Windows Update there's a little check mark and it says I'm up to date but it also has been saying that updates are available ; something doesn't smell right with that 9/13/ date , the big Fall Creator's Update was just a couple days ago , that should have been automatically installed or you should have been prompted that it was available ?? - Anyway thanks for replying .

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm

The fall creators has rolled out over months. Not everyone gets it at the same time. I have a couple of systems that got it over the summer.
Last edited by jebmke on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm

ubermax wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm
jebmke wrote:
Recently when I open Setting/Windows Update there's a little check mark and it says I'm up to date but it also has been saying that updates are available ; something doesn't smell right with that 9/13/ date , the big Fall Creator's Update was just a couple days ago , that should have been automatically installed or you should have been prompted that it was available ?? - Anyway thanks for replying .
I believe they're rolling the creators update out in phases, beginning with newer machines first. So not everyone has it yet.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Rupert wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm
I believe they're rolling the creators update out in phases, beginning with newer machines first. So not everyone has it yet.
My error thanks for the correction - I got my new laptop in August .

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Rupert wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm
ubermax wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm
jebmke wrote:
Mine arrived for my update recently while we were away on vacation, so not sure when it got here. But it was a somewhat confusing update as it appeared to need to be done repetitively. Anyway, all seems fine after it completed.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 pm
Mine arrived for my update recently while we were away on vacation, so not sure when it got here. But it was a somewhat confusing update as it appeared to need to be done repetitively. Anyway, all seems fine after it completed.
Yes , my experience also .

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 pm

my fall creators update left me stuck at a white or black screen. then when rebooting, windows restores a previous version.

then after about a day, it prompts me to install the fall creators update again :oops:

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 pm

ubermax - I removed the formatting in your posts. As noted in an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:52 pm
ubermax - I removed the formatting in your posts. Please bear in mind that bold, italicized, colored text is distracting and very difficult to read. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
avoid posting in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or otherwise using distracting formatting
Please don't enhance your formatting unless it's to make a point. Thanks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 pm

I am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and how you solved it.

My laptop keeps downloading the Windows 10 Creator's Update version 1709. It fails to install and starts downloading it again. Endlessly. It renders my laptop impossible to use.

I checked and according to Toshiba my laptop is incompatible with Windows 10 Creator's Update even tho it runs Windows 10 just fine.

So, did anyone else run into this? What did you do? Is there anything so compelling about the new version that I should consider upgrading my laptop?

Optmst

Post by Optmst » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:59 pm

My Toshiba handles updates OK, but I had the same problem with an ASUS laptop. It upgraded from Win 7 to 10 easily two years ago, but then refused to upgrade to the anniversary version last year. I tried dozens of "solutions" I found on the internet, but none of them enabled the update. I finally used the Media Creation tool to download the latest Windows to a USB stick, and then told Windows to upgrade from the USB by NOT keeping any of my software. Then the Windows upgrade went smoothly, but I had to reinstall my software later. If you decide to try this, save a copy of all your drivers and your license keys in case you need them later.
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you Optmst. That is probably what I need to do. My computer was originally Win 8.

Optmst

Post by Optmst » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 am

As a temporary first aid measure to gain use of your computer until you do the update, you can set your WiFi (if you use WiFi instead of an Ethernet cable) to metered. That will stop Windows from downloading updates for a while, but not forever because Windows is adamant about updates. Another useful tool is O&O ShutUp10 (link below). It has many settings to make Windows work better, including three to stop any updates. That works OK for a few days, but Windows changes the settings to allow updates, so you need to reset those options uncomfortably often.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 am

I received the Win 10 update last week and did not like it, so I had them revert my PC to its prior state. And that pretty much ruined my PC because NOTHING I could find to do would allow my PC to connect to the internet after that. I seriously spent 30 hours over the next few days dealing with the problems the update caused, and finally, last night, just reinstalled Win 10 using their Windows Creation Tool. I hope I never get an update from them again!!!
Last edited by fundseeker on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:41 am

I've been stuck in an endless loop on my Asus rog laptop. Win 10 downloads an update, it fails and restores. Then I run Microsoft update troubleshooter tool. It says it finds and fixes errors. Then the win 10 downloads the update again. And again it fails and restores. I keep postponing the update now but it is getting angry about that and starting to make threats. The machine originally came with win 10.

What bugs me is I am not one who would use any of the features in a creator update. I just game and use ms Excel. I think Microsoft is a sad company now. They just can't seem to make their operating system work for the user. The user winds up working for the operating system.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:45 am

Well happy ending for me.

I left my laptop on overnight which I do not normally do. It successfully updated to the Creator's version. It looks like it took pretty much all night downloading, updating, restarting over and over until it finished about 6 am.

Maybe it just requires a long period with no user activity? Still do not know why Toshiba says this model cannot upgrade. It seems to be working just fine. ( fingers crossed)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Make a backup so you won't have to go through this again. Be sure to include a system image to grab the entire drive.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I had one system update yesterday. It took a while. I use Classic Shell and I don't do any media stuff so I don't really notice anything different. It did change my default browser to Edge so I had to reset that as well as reset some of the privacy settings.

meebers

Post by meebers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 pm

I constantly monitor/read www.tenforums.com. There are some really smart people there that can help/suggest what to do. Just about every thing that can happen to Windows 10 has happened to 1 or more of the people in that thread. :P

Mapache

Post by Mapache » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:11 am

I just went through this tonight on my ASUS laptop. Whenever the laptop indicated a failure to download the updates, I restarted the laptop. After four restarts, it finally downloaded and installed all the updates, albeit very slowly.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:40 am

Easy Rhino wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 pm
my fall creators update left me stuck at a white or black screen. then when rebooting, windows restores a previous version.

then after about a day, it prompts me to install the fall creators update again :oops:
This is most often due to an incompatible AV--it happened to me all the time when I was testing prerelease builds. Try either updating or uninstalling your AV before installing the Fall Creators Update again.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 pm

I did an update about 6 weeks ago which took forever. After that I turned the computer off. When I turned the computer back on the next day, it took basically all day to upgrade once again.

Since then the software hasn't felt right. Little things started cropping up: one day all my typing was in capital letters. Turned off the computer and back on and it worked just fine. Still have problems at times with both Word and Excel. Sometimes, I can't copy and paste in Word or in Excel, put in basic equations. Again, turn it off and back on and it is ok. Sometimes it works fine for days and then something else crops up. So very frustrating. FYI: have been disappointed with Windows 10 since I got the computer in April 2016.