what is your weekly workout routine?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14

what is your weekly workout routine?

Post by retire14 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 am

I am currently on: one day weight training (45 minutes+ 15 minutes stretching), next day (40 minutes aerobic-stairmaster and treadmill+15 minutes stretching), then one day off, then repeat. Looking for something on my days off and add variety and intensity to my workout, but still gives my body time to recover. Please share with me your workout schedule. Thanks. I am 65 yrs old, in good health and have been exercising regularly for last 5 years.

Drew777

Re: what is your weekly workout routine?

Post by Drew777 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am

Lifting 4 days a week:
Day 1: Legs
Day 2: Chest/Triceps
Day 3: Back/Biceps
Day 4: Shoulders/Traps

I also do 40 minutes cardio of 5 days a week.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:54 am

I do weight training mwf about 30 minutes followed by 30 minutes on the exercise bike, then 30 minutes of bike t th sat. 63 yo. Lost over 70 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years.
I do a 5x10 modification of stronglifts since I got a hernia surgery and don’t want to lift that heavy anymore. I stopped doing the free weights due to the hernia and some shoulder pain.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm

On MWF I do this Bodyweight workout:
5 sets each of:
10 pull-ups (including wide grip, close grip, and chin-ups)
10 squats
10 pushups
Planks: 30 sec each front plank, right side plank, left side plank, then stretch

3-5 times a week I walk 3 miles.

I've been working out for decades.

Doing Bodyweight exercises prevents me from getting the type of injuries I used to get when I lifted weights. To me, pull-ups are the key.

I'll be 71 next month. 8-)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

imareal1

Post by imareal1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Weight: 165 lbs

Main lifts: deadlifts, squat, bench

Do one of those each day plus associated accessory exercises - amounts to an hour a day for four days. Fourth day would be shoulders and arms. Monday-Thursday. No cardio.

Proud to say I'm in the 1000 lb club which I think is impressive for my weight. :)

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm
5 sets each of:
10 squats
10 pushups
Planks: 30 sec each front plank, right side plank, left side plank, then stretch

Doing Bodyweight exercises prevents me from getting the type of injuries I used to get when I lifted weights. To me, pull-ups are the key.

Do you do one legged squats or pistols?

More difficult variations of pushups?

I do all kinds of bodyweight exercises and mix in mountain biking 1-2X per week, and 2-3 mile walks 5-6X per week.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm

You might enjoy searching YouTube for workout routines. There are a wide range of free of charge videos that can provide months of variation.

The other activity you might add is to use a foam roller if you have not been using this in your stretching routine.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Monday - 6 Mile Run, 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Tuesday - 5 Mile Run. 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Wednesday - Off Day
Thursday - 6 Mile Run. 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Friday - 5 Mile Run, 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Sat-Sun - Off Days

The band work consists of 3 specific exercises focused on strengthening muscles to support the neck and reduce my neck pain issues. Sets of 15, 10, then 5 each.

I know, I know, more strength training needs to be added :)

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

I recommend the following two books:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Intensity-F ... 1616088443

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Res ... 0071597174

As a result of reading the first book about 5 years ago, I radically transformed my workout. Consequently, workout time was reduced to about 15-20 minutes, all injuries reduced to zero, and results were dramatically improved. Lifting weights since I was 20, I've been totally surprised at the improvement in my physique since blowing up the old workout.

As a result of reading the second book this past summer, results have gotten even better. I have never worked out more than 3 days a week in my life, and my metabolism is such that I cannot do cardio without losing unacceptable amounts of weight. Since 2014, my good cholesterol has increased by 50% and bad cholesterol deceasing by 10% as a result of even more attention to diet. I absolutely refuse to be one of these statistics in retirement: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017 ... -spending/

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

As a result of reading the first book about 5 years ago, I radically transformed my workout. Consequently, workout time was reduced to about 15-20 minutes, all injuries reduced to zero, and results were dramatically improved. Lifting weights since I was 20, I've been totally surprised at the improvement in my physique since blowing up the old workout.

As a result of reading the second book this past summer, results have gotten even better. I have never worked out more than 3 days a week in my life, and my metabolism is such that I cannot do cardio without losing unacceptable amounts of weight. Since 2014, my good cholesterol has increased by 50% and bad cholesterol deceasing by 10% as a result of even more attention to diet. I absolutely refuse to be one of these statistics in retirement: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017 ... -spending/
I'd be curious to hear what an example workout looks like for you now. 15-20 mins goes quick!
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:30 pm

I workout average 5-6 days/week on my lunch break from work.

Push
Pull
Accessories- biceps, calves, traps
Legs

Rinse & repeat
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Drew777 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am
Lifting 4 days a week:

Same - except I don't do the cardio even though I really should. And I'm generally at the gym 5-6 days a week, so I usually get through 1-2 of those splits multiple times in a week.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 pm
Jazztonight wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm
5 sets each of:
10 squats
10 pushups

Do you do one legged squats or pistols?
Excellent question and observation! At one point a year or two ago, I considered pistol squats and started doing the steps to achieve that goal (one-legged squats from a standing position to sitting on a chair, then rising, etc.). But frankly, I after a few months I decided that this wasn't an important goal for me at my age, and I went back to two-legged squats.
More difficult variations of pushups?
I've done them in the past and know exactly what you're talking about. Right now I'm keeping it simple. I use pushup stands in an attempt to save my wrists.
I do all kinds of bodyweight exercises and mix in mountain biking 1-2X per week, and 2-3 mile walks 5-6X per week.
That's great! If everyone did what you do, we'd have a physically fit society. It takes a lot of self-motivation, doesn't it!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

retire14 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 am
I am currently on: one day weight training (45 minutes+ 15 minutes stretching), next day (40 minutes aerobic-stairmaster and treadmill+15 minutes stretching), then one day off, then repeat. Looking for something on my days off and add variety and intensity to my workout, but still gives my body time to recover. Please share with me your workout schedule. Thanks. I am 65 yrs old, in good health and have been exercising regularly for last 5 years.
I am just a few years younger, and the way I see it, I exercise in order to do fun stuff. So I might not do an aerobic machine per se, but I will bicycle out to a small-town diner for breakfast and back again (44 miles round trip). Or go canoeing.

Unfortunately, I can't walk very well (shin splints) but I can do an eliptical machine. Since I don't have cable TV at home, I will schedule an hour on that machine at the gym to catch a TV show that I want to see. I also usher at our local center for performing arts, which has pretty steep balcony steps, and when I am up and down them, it is a pretty good workout in that 30 minutes before showtime (plus I get in free).

I could be missing something, but your exercise sounds like a chore--I am not hearing any fun there. What are some fun things you could do that also provide exercise?

I never learned to swim until I was 40 years old, so that is exercise for me as well. I currently only do weight training on machines twice a week due to work schedule, but I do take some classes at the gym that do some strength training along the way.

I have to do some core exercises every day to keep my back in the right place.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Age 41 female

Tue/Thu/Sat - Consistently do the recommended routine from Reddit's /r/bodyweightfitness.
Mon/Wed/Fri - 30-ish minute walk or climbing stairs, I am not as consistent with this
Sun - Off day, very consistent!

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Age 69, retired. 3 to 4 hours manual labor every weekday morning in my tropical fruit tree orchard and apiary and tropical plant hobby nursery. After Hurricane Irma have been doing daily chain saw work plus even more heavy lifting. Take a break every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday for 18 holes of golf. Only problem is that I do notice my recovery time from bodily aches and pains from the manual labor takes much longer than it used to.

pondering

Post by pondering » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Right now I run 2 5Ks on the treadmill each week. I run at about a 29 minute pace.

I try to get 10,000 steps in at least 6 days a week.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

praxis

Post by praxis » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Oct - May
Bike 1 mile to/from club
MWF- 1 hour Body Pump class (seven 5 min. each routines on different body parts) + 10 min. cardio and 15 mins abs & core work.
TTSat- 1 hour either Step class or Circuit Training eight stations focused on different muscles alternating with cardio.
(classes keep me prompt)
I swim laps sometimes and ski maybe 10 days each winter

May - Oct
7 days- 20 min calisthenics every morning including pullups and dumbell work.
frequent trail hikes and mountain biking and kayaking

I've worked out steady since college, I'm 68 and no longer use heavy weights. I always include stretching and sometimes yoga.

Both DW and I believe we can stay active if we exercise to maintain flexibility, stamina, circulation and tone.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Mountain tactical institute

Bodyweight foundation course...
Will finish 6 week course this week. Just did 8 mi jog in 75 minutes

Lots if High intensity intervals and short sprints with long easy runs as well. Really increased my endurance. Workout scales to fitness level. Definitely recommend.

Training for mountain goat hunt next year in AK.
Don't want to be "that guy" struggling to climb and pack out. Living in the flatlands makes it hard to get ready for the vertical climb.

DA

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm

32yrs old. Hard to have a set routine with two working parents and a baby at home, but I think I have a pretty good setup considering:

Bike to work: ~2x a week (9 miles each way)
Daycare pickup run: ~3x week (3mi round trip run with the jogging stroller)
Lifting: ~3x week at lunch in workplace gym. My normal split is push/pull/legs. I usually start with a big compound barbell exercise (bench press/row/squat/deadlift) and then do 2 other miscellaneous isolation exercises on day's theme (i.e. flys, skullcrushers, curls, lunges) with 5 minutes of core at the end of each session. On a good week, I will have a "bonus" day where I work anything that isn't sore.

I used to get a long bikeride (50+ miles) in on most weekends, though that's nearly impossible with chidlcare obligations. My goal is to be like my 84 year old grandfather, who can still bench press his weight and gets mistaken for my father when I am with him in public :happy

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Almost 71. Good shape. MWF at the gym for an hour full body circuit workout. 2 or 3 upper body lifts then a leg/back exercise, repeat with different exercises, including some plyometric jumps. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday a 20 mile bike ride, although on many Tuesdays and Thursdays I play hockey for an hour and a half session with an over 50 group. Saturday is a rest day. During the winter my wife and I ski 2 or 3 days every other week, so I work the other stuff around that. I'm thankful that I can still do this and realize that I'm very lucky. My wife recently got an electric bike, and now I can go as fast as I want , and she'll keep right up with me.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

cajungal

Post by cajungal » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I enjoy reading all these replies so I will chime in:
T and Thurs - weight work with a personal trainer; walking to get 10-15K steps
Sun and Wed HIIT treadmill class
Fri, Sat, Mon 4-5 mile runs
I am 69 and feel great. Good genes have blessed me.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm

I highly suggest swimming. It is much easier on your body so you can do it until you're old. Tennis and golf are also good.
I wouldn't go super heavy with the weights unless you have good form. Good way to slip a disc particularly deadlifts.
Do you ever wonder why you don't see many older weightlifters? :D Otherwise lifting is a great workout.
Running on pavement is also terrible for your joints.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 pm

You folks work hard, but I'm sure it's worth it. I'm 81, male, and I do what I hope is enough to keep me from falling behind. If I were younger this probably wouldn't be enough.

Every other day, in front of a tv on which I record shows like ax men, deadliest catch, ice road truckers, etc. I can watch a one hour show in 40 minutes if I skip commercials. The 40 minutes are:

arm rows, overhead lifts, elastic band for shoulders, pushups, curls, crunches, squats. about 2x12 for each with fairly light dumbbells. Then 20 minutes on treadmill interval 3 mph/4mph. sometimes it runs overtime. This isn't going to build muscle, but at least keep me where I am. So far bp, hdl/ldl, etc are all in normal range. Doc says this is working for me.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

72 yo

2 days a week: spinning classes, 45-50 minutes
1-2 days a week: Concept 2 rower or elliptical for 30 minutes
3 days a week: walk on beach or in woods 40-60 minutes
Stretch on non-walking days

I intermittently get on weight kicks where I do (mostly dumbbell) workouts twice a week. Even though I've regularly done some kind of regular exercise since my mid-20s, I've never been able to stick with weights for the long haul.
Friar1610

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm

retire14 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 am
Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I'm roughly your age (ok a little older). I started exercising about 15 years ago. I'm more a believer in exercising in general and time spent than a specific routine. Its a keep-the-parts-moving philosophy. I do a gym workout 3 times a week half the year. It's a combination of cardio, strength and balance. I particularly value the latter. I do deep knee bends standing on a Bosu. I also do balancing on a Bosu on my knees for 5 minutes at a time. The overall routine takes me about an hour. The other half year I swim in a pool. I do easy laps for a half hour, about 0.4 miles. But every day.

Perhaps my routine is not scientifically sound, but I was very struck by https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UZPI7A/re ... TF8&btkr=1 "Younger Next Year" It generally recommends my self titled "keep-the-parts-moving philosophy".

Oh, re Naismith saying "I could be missing something, but your exercise sounds like a chore--I am not hearing any fun there. What are some fun things you could do that also provide exercise?"

I hate exercise! But I do it. I feel better. It's no fun for me. I've never experienced an endorphin rush. But I exercise. I keep telling myself "it feels good", "I'm enjoying this",but I don't. I envy those who do enjoy it.

One last repeat, do some sort of balance exercise. As you get older so many injuries are balance related.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm
I highly suggest swimming. It is much easier on your body so you can do it until you're old. Tennis and golf are also good.
I wouldn't go super heavy with the weights unless you have good form. Good way to slip a disc particularly deadlifts.
Do you ever wonder why you don't see many older weightlifters? :D Otherwise lifting is a great workout.
Running on pavement is also terrible for your joints.
I see plenty of older weightlifters- my aforementioned 84 year old grandfather being one of them. This guy is is his mid 90s:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/m ... arian.html

You don't look like that in your mid-90s without a lot of time in the weight room. The article linked above explains why weight training is so important in old age. Swimming is fantastic (especially for the heart), but it won't prevent loss of bone density and joint degeneration and won't preserve and build muscle like weight training will.

I think lifting has been given a bad name by bad coaches (especially high school football) to encourage bad form and pushing through pain. I've heard of lots of former high school football players who were encouraged to do things like half squats (not breaking parallel) and attempting to max out lifts every session. The thing is, if you learn proper form and stick to the progressive overload principle, heavy compound exercises like deadlifts will actually make your back MUCH stronger and reduce back pain and other degenerative conditions.

Levett

Post by Levett » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 pm

75 yo. Lifting (3 days weekly), stretching and aerobic (6 days a week). 45-60 minutes each session. And single malt scotch at 5 p.m. :D

Lev

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 pm

I am inspired with these.

Age 62 and still working. Typically will ride bike 60 -75 minutes 3-5 x weekly from April thru October and then move inside for stationary bike and add pushups, resistance bands and light weights.

My goal is 200 workouts per year. Heading to the indoor gym now that weather is turning cooler (and less daylight). Looking for new stuff. Thanks for suggestions.

Ed

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Levett wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 pm
75 yo. Lifting (3 days weekly), stretching and aerobic (6 days a week). 45-60 minutes each session. And single malt scotch at 5 p.m. :D

Lev
I posted my routine, but forgot to mention the 5 PM scotch! That might be the key to the whole thing. :beer

tnr

Post by tnr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:31 pm

61 yr old - male.

Every other day - 45 minute cardio + 45 minute strength training. Cardio is a mixture of treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike. On off days, try to walk 1-2 miles at moderate clip.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Average 10 hrs/week of running and swimming split about 60:40 right now; will add biking in next spring in prep for triathlon racing. Most of the swims are hard efforts, but the runs are mostly easy aerobic effort with 1 fast workout and 1 longer workout/week.

Bodyweight and functional strength training 2-3x/wk, 20 mins per session. Stuff like compound motions, pushups, burpees, jumping hard, etc.

Most normal folks look at that 10hrs/week and say "sheesh that's wayyy too much!", but my triathlon friends look at that and say, "meh - you could def use more!" :annoyed

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:06 pm

M
Health:. . . time and day dependent. Varies between ambitious and slovenly.

Workout routine:
Mon/Thrs : Elliptical, upper, mat work.
Tues/Fri : Elliptical, lower, mat work.
Wed: Physical therapy.
M/W: A.M. Tai Chi
T/TH: A.M. Chi Kung

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm

65 with congenital heart condition—work is good, strain is bad.

At the gym MWF: 30-minute warm up, balance and flexibility; 60 minutes with trainer, lower weights with higher reps.

Most days: brisk walking 40-50 minutes/about 2 miles.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:58 pm

68 years old. 6 feet, two-and-a-half inches. One hundred sixty-two pounds.

Seventy-five to ninety minutes of brisk walking per day; two meals per day (chicken, fish, vegetables and fresh fruit. And one cup of coffee. Also the usual handful of vitamins and a moderate dose statin.)

Upper body work one or two days a week. Push-ups, bar dips, and weight machines because I suck using free weights. (My form is bad and I seem incapable of getting better.)

But what I do works for me and I plan to continue the routine until they cart me off to the senior facility to which my kids assign me.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I mountain bike 1-2 x per week for 60-90 minutes
I run 2X a week for a total of 12-18 miles
I lift 3x per week (upper pull, upper push, legs)

During the summer I also swim 1x a week .5-1 mile, open water with a wetsuit.

bjc3

Post by bjc3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm

33 yo male

Mon - Wed
Run 1 mile to Crossfit
Crossfit (1 hr)
Run 1 mile back

Thu
Off day

Fri & Sat
CrossFit and some type of cardio (not running)

Sun
Usually off day, but I occasionally lift (no cardio)

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm
2015 wrote:

I'd be curious to hear what an example workout looks like for you now. 15-20 mins goes quick!
Read the books. It's the intensity of the workout, the degree of concentration, the muscle groups involved, and importantly, the amount of rest between workouts. The science of weightlifting has come a long way in the past 10-15 years. Additionally, as Schwarzenegger says, most people in most gyms do not work out correctly, thereby wasting much of their time.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Monday/Wednesday/Friday - Beer and salty snacks

Tuesday/Thursday - Donuts

Saturday/Sunday - Freestyle!

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Levett wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Lev
Excellent! My role models are all 15-25 years older than me. One guy in the gym is 86, looks about 70, and is really cool to be around. Although he still lifts and looks good, he's says he doesn't train at all hard as when he was younger because he has "nothing to prove." He serves as the model for me of how I want to approach health, vitality and energy in my eighties. I still remember when he told me about 5 years ago that I was dressing too old for my age!

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm
Monday - 6 Mile Run, 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Tuesday - 5 Mile Run. 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Wednesday - Off Day
Thursday - 6 Mile Run. 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Friday - 5 Mile Run, 10 minutes of upper body "band" work & push-ups
Sat-Sun - Off Days

The band work consists of 3 specific exercises focused on strengthening muscles to support the neck and reduce my neck pain issues. Sets of 15, 10, then 5 each.

I know, I know, more strength training needs to be added :)
Slacker! Just kidding :) I'm running an hour every other day with a 1.5 hour long run on the weekend. Assuming everything goes as planning, I'll stretch that out to a little over 1.75 hours on November 5th (Wine and Dine Half Marathon, Walt Disney World, Orlando). I have the same issue with strength training.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Drew777 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am
Lifting 4 days a week:

Pretty much the same for me for the most part. I do the same body part combos in the evenings but on different days. I also do cardio in the mornings 5-6 days a week for about 30-45mins depending on when I actually wake up. I also play pickup basketball one day during the weekend for a couple of hours too. I am in my early 40s...

mark4269

Post by mark4269 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm

you guys are intense!

my workout: 2 beers every day, without fail

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:43 pm

63 y/o
Monday - 18 holes of golf
Repeat Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Sunday - 9 holes of golf
I walk the course.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm

41yr old. Never did athletics in High School or college.

I was doing a full body workout M,W,F:
M - heavy weights 5x5 or sometimes 10sets of 3
W - light weights high volume 2 sets 12 reps on small muscle groups and 3 sets 12 reps on compound movements or I would superset two exercises for as many sets as I can get done of 5 reps over a time period such as 10 minutes or 15 minutes.
F - dynamic/power movements olympic lifts, speed pulls, band presses, etc
I have a list of about 50 different movements and I'd pick 4 or 5 for each day and try to cycle through all 50 exercises over the course of several weeks. Upon getting back to the same exercise again on a "heavy" monday I would add weight on to every set for the progressive overload or I would try to get in additional sets in the same time frame on the volume day of the same super setted pair.

Yoga Tu,Th

Now I am doing something called "Athlean-X" because my wife wasn't really enjoying my old routine and I felt the Athlean guy's youtube videos were quite informative.
This is 5 days a week where it appears to be high volume weights or bodyweight exercises M,W,F and cardio on Tu,Th. Every 4 weeks you have to complete a "challenge" that is very much endurance based. For example: complete 100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 inverted rows, 100 situps in less then 15 minutes in order to proceed to the next week's workout. The cardio involves lots of sprinting, football footwork drills, etc.

Not really part of the workout but we also walk the dog, go on hikes a couple times a month and go on short (4 mile) or medium (10 mile) bike rides a couple times a week.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Do you have anywhere pleasant to do a 2 mile light hike on your days off, like something of a restorative day?
To me it's a different workout to walk on some uneven ground rather than just a treadmill all the time; it gets all your small balancing muscles involved. Doesn't have to be steep.

ddd

Post by ddd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:26 pm

I used to run 6 miles 5 days a week.

Now I do 6 miles on MWF and 12 miles on Saturdays.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:01 pm

3 days per week, 20 minutes eliptical, 20 minutes inclined treadmill, 20 minutes leg press, hip flexor press, and biceps/forearm press. Total of 1 hour per day. I also try to walk 18 holes of golf 2 times a week/off days from gym.

I am 62 and have been doing this for about 5 years.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:38 am

2015 wrote:

Thanks so much for these recommendations, I've always been pretty bad about incorporating exercise in my day to day activities

Both books outline very manageable workout routines

Now it's just a matter of cleaning up that diet 😀

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:05 am

Slacker wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Now I am doing something called "Athlean-X" because my wife wasn't really enjoying my old routine and I felt the Athlean guy's youtube videos were quite informative.
This is 5 days a week where it appears to be high volume weights or bodyweight exercises M,W,F and cardio on Tu,Th. Every 4 weeks you have to complete a "challenge" that is very much endurance based. For example: complete 100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 inverted rows, 100 situps in less then 15 minutes in order to proceed to the next week's workout. The cardio involves lots of sprinting, football footwork drills, etc.
Jeff Cavaliere is one of the few fitness talking heads out there that really knows what he is doing. Has solid credentials and actually uses evidence-based research to support a lot of what he does.

I've been a competitive athlete my entire life and have run the gamut. From power sports (played D1 football), to powerlifter, to triathlete; now at 36 it is all about setting an example for my kids and not hurting. I might be in the best overall shape of my life from a body composition, relative strength, and general physical preparedness standpoint. I have no fixed routine per se, but I generally pull on Mondays, squat on Wednesday, push on Friday, and do some olympic lifting/fun stuff(sled, strongman yoke, ropes, etc.) on Saturday. Tuesdays I run (usually sprinting intervals, but I'll throw an occasional longer run in there) and Thursdays I row (same as running). No pre-planned workouts, I train by feel now. I also cycle quite a bit (virtually all my commuting is by foot or bike), but this is primarily low intensity stuff like picking up my kids from daycare and going to grocery store, we try to hike at least once a week when it is not snowing, and I start every morning with about 10 minutes of squat progressions (I have tight hips and sit most of the day at work).