what is your weekly workout routine?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
John88

Re: what is your weekly workout routine?

Post by John88 »

Old Guy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:51 pm IGot to 80, but I hated doing them so I just stopped.
There are progressions on the push ups. Try Archer push ups, kneeling one arm or counter top one arm or one can wear a back pack with zip lock bags of sand to increase load. See my links I posted above on 7/16.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 am 2+ hours of pickleball, usually 5 days per week.
2 hours of brisk walking every non-pickleball day.
Chasing grandchildren around when available.
+1
One of the most fun, and exhausting, things to do. Grandchildren do not seem to get tired.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

John

Thank you for the suggestions, but I am not doing push ups anymore, of any kind, ever. The 80 was my normal routine. I once got up to 95. Once I can get some weights I’ll do curls.
Toons

Post by Toons »

10000 steps a day minimum walking and jogging
Age 69/10months
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Post by Toons »

10000 steps a day minimum walking and jogging
Age 69/10months
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
ThatsMyFamJam

Post by ThatsMyFamJam »

Run 20 miles over 4 days over the course of a week, with one being a tempo run and one a longer slow jog. Go by how I feel, not by a watch. Stretch and modified yoga after one of those times. Walk or run with one of various friends 4-6 miles once/week. Upper and mid body workouts using resistance bands, kettlebell or dumbbells.

Pickleball with spouse 1-2 times/week.

Hike with my family once/week.

I have a nice spin bike, which I use to mix things up, sometimes with the Peloton app.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

M-W-F
I do the NYT 9-minute strength workout with my spouse
https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/str ... lyometrics

T-Th-Sat/Sun
I run, faster on weekdays, slow jogs on the weekend. Last week I totaled 20 miles over the three days, and looking to increase the mileage very slowly.

Sat/Sun
Depending on which weekend day I run, the other day I mow the lawn, weed whacking etc., which takes a couple of hours.
reddison

Post by reddison »

I am just shy of 63. My main workout for the past 10 years has been running. I've averaged 1500 - 2500 miles a year, ran 39 marathons across 29 states and 1 foreign country (Espana). 6 Bostons. The mileage finally caught up with me a couple of years ago and I developed a painful foot issue that has caused me to reduce the running and races. The problem is I get a lot of joy out of it and I have a large group of running friends that I travel with, so I don't want to give it up. I also pace races - mainly half marathons. I bought a decent road bike a couple of years ago and I have recently been riding more, and walking more with my wife. In the past 2 years DW and I have also hiked the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim in a day, as well as South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel in a day. We really enjoy hiking. I also stretch, do situps, pushups, planks,free weights, etc., but not as regularly as I should. I am registered for the London Marathon on October 4th (postponed from April due to COVID). The Race Director is providing an "update" next week, which hopefully will be a final decision on cancelling the race and allowing us our spot for next year. When we both retire next year we hope to do a lot more of all of the above.
praxis

Post by praxis »

I miss the weight classes at my club during quarantine. I have worked up to a 15 minute calisthenic routine and repeat it each morning at home. I already had a 40 lb barbell, two 20 lb dumb bells and a Bosu ball. I start with 15-20 pull ups and move quickly into
60 full jumping jacks
30 fast deep pushups
20 plank jacks
20 deep squats
20 lunges per leg
20 chest presses/ barbell lying on the ball
20 dips on the coffee table
20 slow curls
I get out on a walk or bike every day. Sometimes longer, sometimes, not so long.

It's a short routine, so I'll actually DO it.
I would skip a longer, harder workout. I know me. I'm 71.
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

All these posts are very inspiring! And also makes me feel very weak and lazy!
I run around 10-15 miles a week and do bodyweight exercises twice a week.
No enough I guess based on what I have read, but thats all I can manage at present!
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

John88 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:22 pm
Jazztonight wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm On MWF I do this Bodyweight workout:
5 sets each of:
10 pull-ups (including wide grip, close grip, and chin-ups)
10 squats
10 pushups
Planks: 30 sec each front plank, right side plank, left side plank, then stretch

3-5 times a week I walk 3 miles.

I've been working out for decades.

Doing Bodyweight exercises prevents me from getting the type of injuries I used to get when I lifted weights. To me, pull-ups are the key.

I'll be 71 next month. 8-)
5x10 on the Pullups is impressive for someone over 70 - heck most people at any age can't do that.
Thanks. This was written almost 3 years ago. Since then I've modified my workout and schedule, and now do something each day, which is helpful during the Pandemic/shelter-at-home:

MWF - 20 sets of 5 pull-ups (total 100 pulls in 30 minutes)

T,Th,Sat/Sun - I do one of the following (total 20-30 minutes):
100 hanging knee raises;
100 pushups + 120 squats or lunges (front or back);
100 jumping jacks;
100 burpees with pushups.

3 days a week I go for a hike or walk for an hour.

I'm not saying any of this is easy, but if you make it a habit and just do it every day, it not only keeps you in decent physical shape, but it starts the day off with an accomplishment. (When people ask how many pull-ups I do the answer is "Five." I do five 20 times.)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Jazztonight wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:31 pm
John88 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:22 pm
Jazztonight wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm On MWF I do this Bodyweight workout:
5 sets each of:
10 pull-ups (including wide grip, close grip, and chin-ups)
10 squats
10 pushups
Planks: 30 sec each front plank, right side plank, left side plank, then stretch

3-5 times a week I walk 3 miles.

I've been working out for decades.

Doing Bodyweight exercises prevents me from getting the type of injuries I used to get when I lifted weights. To me, pull-ups are the key.

I'll be 71 next month. 8-)
5x10 on the Pullups is impressive for someone over 70 - heck most people at any age can't do that.
Thanks. This was written almost 3 years ago. Since then I've modified my workout and schedule, and now do something each day, which is helpful during the Pandemic/shelter-at-home:

MWF - 20 sets of 5 pull-ups (total 100 pulls in 30 minutes)

T,Th,Sat/Sun - I do one of the following (total 20-30 minutes):
100 hanging knee raises;
100 pushups + 120 squats or lunges (front or back);
100 jumping jacks;
100 burpees with pushups.

3 days a week I go for a hike or walk for an hour.

I'm not saying any of this is easy, but if you make it a habit and just do it every day, it not only keeps you in decent physical shape, but it starts the day off with an accomplishment. (When people ask how many pull-ups I do the answer is "Five." I do five 20 times.)
Impressive!!!!!
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I do alternating days of strength training and running.

My strength training is a full-body workout using adjustable dumbbells. If I lose motivation, I change the workout.

Running is a 3.5 mile jog which usually takes about 37 minutes (11 minutes / mile). If I can't run outside, I'll workout on my elliptical trainer for 30 minutes.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.