Running shoes/insoles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dekciwRuasonid

Running shoes/insoles

Post by dekciwRuasonid »

Calling all runners!

I've picked up running a year ago, and I'm struggling with finding the right shoe fit.

Shoes I've used: Asics (old pair no longer used due to getting shin splints often), and Nike (I like them, but I guess my feet are too wide for the narrow shape of the shoe causing my right big toe to get blisters on the left edge. However! I noticed I don't get shin splints anymore).

For my next shoe, I'm looking for --
1. A wider shoe shape so my toe doesn't rub against the shoe when I strike the pavement (I'm a front striker) to prevent the blister
2. Enough cushion to absorb the impact
3. Does anyone recommend getting a custom insole? I've done some research online, and it seems like there is a mixed opinion about this product
4. Can log miles (training for a half/marathon/half tri)

I haven't gone to a running store yet (should've done this earlier) to get a fit. But I will be making a visit this evening and wanted to get the people's opinion before then.

Thank you in advance!
pjhalifax

Re: Running shoes/insoles

Post by pjhalifax »

I think you're on the right track (ha) heading to your local running store. They'll be able to give you plenty of details about the different models across brands and take care of 1,2, and 4.

Regarding brands, it all comes down to your fitting...but if it helps at all, I really like Saucony shoes. I had the Kinvaras for a long time, which didn't have a ton of cushioning but were light and comfortable. I also wore Skechers Go Run Ride shoes to switch off with the Kinvaras now and then. Much more affordable and also quite comfortable, but lacking durability (at least the year I had them...I think it was 2013's model). Definitely don't rule out Skechers if the store prices turn you off.

Now I'm in Brooks Adrenalines as I recover from an Achilles injury. They're more in the "motion control" category with much more support. The Brooks are expensive but I like the feel so far. I also like Brooks because they have a product donation program - they've given me cool products for a charity 5K I've coordinated for the past 5 years. I always appreciate companies that make it a priority to give back to the community like that.

As far as #3 - personally, I'd try your new shoes without insoles first. Then you might consider something like Superfeet insoles. There are a few different types and at $40-50 they're more affordable than true custom orthotics. I use the Superfeet Orange when I play tennis and really like them. I find the insoles more helpful for an activity like tennis with more side to side motion and quick stops and starts. I haven't found them as helpful with distance running but that's just me.

Let us know what you get! I haven't kept up with the latest brands/models - I'm curious about brands like Hoka that I've heard about - but I always love looking at new shoes.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The local running store is your best bet. Not only will they let you test drive shoes until you find the right one for you, but most of them run discount programs that come in very handy when you're training for a half-marathon or marathon and need new shoes every few months.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

New Balance makes shoes that fit wide or feet that aren't "normal" (in the strictest sense). The various lasts address problems with pronation, the way your foot strikes the ground, etc.

The most important thing that I have found is to get shoes that are large enough. A moderately loose shoe doesn't cause problems for me, but one that is even slightly tight will definitely cause problems. If a salesman tries to tell you that an uncomfortable shoe will stretch, that's a signal not to buy that shoe. Sounds like you may also have had shoes that did not accommodate the size of parts of your feet, too.

Frequent shin splints is a big red flag that you are damaging your body. Take that seriously. Research the causes and eliminate them.

If you can find someone at an athletic shoe store who actually knows what they are doing, they can help you find the right shoe. It might help to take several pairs of older athletic shoes so they can see how they wear and to discuss the problems you have with them.

I agree that an insert should be tried only after you get the right shoe in the first place. If Superfeet or similar pre-made insoles aren't sufficient, there are also custom-made inserts available.

Some background information:

https://support.newbalance.com/hc/en-us ... Shoe-Last-

https://support.newbalance.com/hc/en-us ... Shoes-Fit-

https://www.aperfectdealer.com/theshoeb ... s-b15.html
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

I agree with the going to a running store.

They initially will try to sell you the latest, greatest (and most expensive) shoes, but be firm in explaining your issues.

Some brands have extra wide toe boxes. Those can help in avoiding toe blisters. They may be a better bet than just getting shoes where the entire width is wide.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Here's a lengthy review of insoles.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-in ... d-walking/
retire14

Post by retire14 »

One more vote to the running store. I went to get fit for a pair of running shoes. They made a pair of customized insoles then I put them in several pairs of shoes they recommended to pick what I liked. Worked well. When it's time to buy a new pair of shoes, I just continue to buy the same model (different year) and use the same insoles.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Agree with above, but just as counterpoint food for thought: re running shoes

- No running shoe/model has been scientifically proven to decrease running injuries.

- Cushioning makes shoes feel nice and soft when you walk on them, but also do not decrease injuries, and do not remove impact forces - they redistribute them up to the knee/hip. Once scientist at Harvard believes that this MAY (too hard to do the 20+ yr study) be a big cause of arthritis in older folks, which didn't seem to be the case many years ago before the cushioned shoe craze

- It may be worth exploring 'less' shoe rather than more, as a result. It's normal to have adaptation periods for your shoes as newer runner; unless it's a chafing/undersizing issue, don't automatically assume the shoe will magically be super comfy on your first run. Barefoot/minimalist runners understand this fully well - going minimalist feels TERRIBLE for the first few months of acclimation compared to regular shoed running, but improves over time a lot. I'd recommend avoiding add-ons to shoes if at all possible. (I still wouldn't go minimalist/barefoot right away if I were you - it's very hard and really for those very committed to it.)

- Using "less" shoe may feel more difficult up front, but will both force you to improve your run technique as well as pay better attention to early strains which likely prevents bigger injuries in the long-term. It's actually NOT good that motion-control shoes allow overfatigued runners to clomp away with poor form at the end of a poor workout when they'd be better off stopping and recovering rather than overdoing it. Given that nearly 50% of runners experience a injury that stop them from running every single year, better biofeedback is a big deal.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Re the shin splints: Try a pair of compression socks. Many runners swear by them (including the one who lives in my house and is presently training for a marathon). I don't think there's much data supporting their use during runs to prevent injury, but there is some data that suggests they aid recovery when worn after a long run.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Avid runner here.

I used to have severe shin splints (used to be painful to just walk after running). I switched to Asics GT-2000 series in 2002 and have been using the same shoe since (same model, not the same shoe). I should also add that you may need to switch your running posture. Move your waist forward as you run so that it somewhat redistributes the load on your legs. Also, make sure you are properly stretching/warming up before and ideally after working out. All these will also help with the shin splints.

As I've grown older and body is wearing out, I added insoles to my new Asics. I get the "Superfeet Green" which provides excellent arch support and stability.

One other thing is that you MUST replace your shoes every 300 miles. Your feet/ankles/knees/hips/back will thank you.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Local running store, as others have mentioned, is the way to go. However, I would stay from the "brand" stores, such as New Balance stores. They tend to give bad advice based on my personal experience. Though, the Brooks outlet in Bothell, WA usually has a knowledgeable team of employees. I will admit that I am that guy who gets the advice and buys them online. I can't stomach the small store prices.

I had bounced around shoes for a while (22 mile per week runner for 14 years). NB, Brooks, Nike and Asics. The longest periods of time were in the NB and Asics. After a redesign of the Gel Nimbus, I went to the local shoe store and they fitted me in some Mizuno Wave Riders.

Have been running in those for 5 years now. Outside of one generation of very quick wear (16's maybe), they have been great. Supportive, but not too soft or sloppy.

I always found that New Balance had a nice wide toe box.
johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 »

I had some serious plantar fasciitis and over the last 10 year have used the moldable insoles from RedWing. They cost about $45. I recommended them to my sister who is an avid walker, and she found them to be very supportive. I don't usually recommend products but this worked for me since I play a lot of tennis and walk a lot as well.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Wanted to add a suggestion: don't just go to a running shoe store. Call and tell them you have problems with your feet and need someone very skilled to help you pick out the best shoe and ask who that employee is and when they will be working and go then.
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

Going to a full service running store is probably your best bet. Some even have treadmills so they can watch your gait as you run. As mentioned previously, New Balance has all sorts of widths available in their shoes. Also, Altra makes running shoes (zero drop; so it may take some time for your Achilles to get use to) that are shaped like your foot - very wide foot box. Altra trail running shoes are very popular as footwear to long-distance thru-hikers (AT, PCT, etc).
Carl Z
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I highly recommend Super Feet. I've been using them for probably 10 years now.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

dekciwRuasonid wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 am Calling all runners!

I've picked up running a year ago, and I'm struggling with finding the right shoe fit.

Shoes I've used: Asics (old pair no longer used due to getting shin splints often), and Nike (I like them, but I guess my feet are too wide for the narrow shape of the shoe causing my right big toe to get blisters on the left edge. However! I noticed I don't get shin splints anymore).

1. A wider shoe shape so my toe doesn't rub against the shoe when I strike the pavement (I'm a front striker) to prevent the blister
3. Does anyone recommend getting a custom insole? I've done some research online, and it seems like there is a mixed opinion about this product

I haven't gone to a running store yet (should've done this earlier) to get a fit. But I will be making a visit this evening and wanted to get the people's opinion before then.

Thank you in advance!
I really recommend the Mizuno Wave Creation running shoes. They fit perfectly and provide tremendous cushioning. They're hard to find in the box stores and aren't cheap but are long lasting and worth every penny.
alec

Post by alec »

My runner friends with wide feet prefer Altras.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I like Saucony running shoes. They have a nice bounce and good support and still have a good feel of the road. The Guide ISO is nice.
They are also good for walking or in the gym on machines. I have wide feet too and they are fine (no stress or sores on my feet after long use).
Topic Author
dekciwRuasonid

Post by dekciwRuasonid »

Thank you all for the personal experiences, links, and 2cents as it's definitely helped!

I dropped by a local store near work, and tried several pairs: Saucony, New Balance, and Brooks.

1. Saucony - I definitely liked this one the best. The fit was snug and width was good for my feet.
2. New Balance - These were on the larger side and didn't fit as well as the rep had thought, so we agreed to pass on NB.
3. Brooks - These were good, but the overall feel of a Saucony was too good to ignore.

I'll call around to see if I can find any stores that carry Mizuno's and Altras (if I missed any other brands, let me know!). For now, I'm leaning towards the Saucony and will probably get last years model if they're the one.

Once I decide on a pair, I'll pick up some compression socks and see how that works out. And will definitely re-visit the SuperFeet inserts once I find a pair of shoes and log some miles.

On a side note, I'm glad I dropped by a store because my form was horrible and was able to get some tips to fix it.

Will provide an update if I can find the Mizuno's/Altras! :happy
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

dekciwRuasonid wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm On a side note, I'm glad I dropped by a store because my form was horrible and was able to get some tips to fix it.
Check out the Chi Running book. Changed my running for the better many years ago.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Check out Hoka One One brand, and don't add insoles - just use what comes with. Speedgoat 2 (trail) and Clayton 2 (road) have been great for me and for many other runners I know who have been dealing with accumulated mileage wear-and-tear over decades of running. YMMV. :)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
runner26

Post by runner26 »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 pm
dekciwRuasonid wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm On a side note, I'm glad I dropped by a store because my form was horrible and was able to get some tips to fix it.
Check out the Chi Running book. Changed my running for the better many years ago.
Same here. Another vote for chi running. Watch the videos on you tube.
pwill112

Post by pwill112 »

Wide really helped me.

Have you considered a visit to a foot doctor?

I have costumes fit orthotics for years now from a foot doctor. They will cost more short term but can be a true blessing allowing you not worry so much about future shoe and sneaker purchases as long as the soles are removable. Plus better than any other insert I tried. They will also last at least 10 years and maybe longer.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

TimeRunner wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 pm Check out Hoka One One brand, and don't add insoles - just use what comes with. Speedgoat 2 (trail) and Clayton 2 (road) have been great for me and for many other runners I know who have been dealing with accumulated mileage wear-and-tear over decades of running. YMMV. :)
+1. I would second the Hoka recommendation. The support and cushioning are very good throughout the line. I’ve been running in the ATR series which is designed for light trail use and have been quite pleased. Most but not all of the Hokas have a wide toe box. I don’t use inserts but my wife has had a good experience with Superfeet.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 pm Avid runner here.

One other thing is that you MUST replace your shoes every 300 miles. Your feet/ankles/knees/hips/back will thank you.
+++++1....this is an absolute MUST!

I was a runner for 20+ years and finally knees, body parts wore out. I was never a long distance runner....usually 2-3 miles a day. Started walking 5 miles every day then developed plantar fasciitis. Started using Spenco inserts. That worked for a few years then ended up with torn tendon....which I am still nursing. Got a pair of custom made orthotics a few weeks ago ($500.00+ :moneybag ). Still breaking them in but they do help. I am back to walking 2-3 miles/day and hope to get back up to the 5 mile range in a few months. I've tried many brand shoes and find Sketchers to fit me best.

Take care of your feet!!!! It's a real bummer when you can't get out for a nice relaxing walk or run :sharebeer
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 pm One other thing is that you MUST replace your shoes every 300 miles. Your feet/ankles/knees/hips/back will thank you.
Wow, I sure wish my shoes would last 300 miles. I run with 2 pairs (alternating days) and by 125 miles on each pair, they are shot. I suppose it doesn't help that have a pretty drastic supination landing.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Sketchers.

Tim
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

dekciwRuasonid wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm Thank you all for the personal experiences, links, and 2cents as it's definitely helped!

I dropped by a local store near work, and tried several pairs: Saucony, New Balance, and Brooks.

1. Saucony - I definitely liked this one the best. The fit was snug and width was good for my feet.
2. New Balance - These were on the larger side and didn't fit as well as the rep had thought, so we agreed to pass on NB.
3. Brooks - These were good, but the overall feel of a Saucony was too good to ignore.

I'll call around to see if I can find any stores that carry Mizuno's and Altras (if I missed any other brands, let me know!). For now, I'm leaning towards the Saucony and will probably get last years model if they're the one.

Once I decide on a pair, I'll pick up some compression socks and see how that works out. And will definitely re-visit the SuperFeet inserts once I find a pair of shoes and log some miles.

On a side note, I'm glad I dropped by a store because my form was horrible and was able to get some tips to fix it.

Will provide an update if I can find the Mizuno's/Altras! :happy
Newton is another brand popular with serious runners in my town.
Topic Author
dekciwRuasonid

Post by dekciwRuasonid »

Will add Newton, Sketchers, and Hoka to the list of shoes to check out this weekend!

The Chi Running videos were extremely informational. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

In regards to the 300 mile shoe swap. What signs of wear and tear should I be looking out for to signal that I should start considering getting a new pair of shoes? From what I could Google, it seems like the common theme is to run in them until I feel some sort of discomfort, or when the midsole starts getting flat.

Also, socks. I've noticed using thicker socks (Balega) has helped the blister department. I really enjoyed wearing thinner socks (Wright Socks) because it gave me that 'bare foot' feel. But it I guess adding that extra layer helps me. While I like the Balega's, is there anything else people would be so kind to suggest that they love?

Is having a second pair of running shoes important? I recall reading an article, and they mentioned it is a good idea to alternate between shoes for various reasons. And since runner3081 brought it up, I'm curious to find out if it would be worth getting in my case? Right now, I'm a budding tri-athlete. I have the swimming part down as I've been doing that for the majority of my life. Picked up cycling several years ago and go to spinning on the off season. Running is my achilles heel... :x I need to do some more research about how much running I should put in a week because I'm just going based on how my feet/body feels. However, if I had to give a figure, I'm at about 15-20 miles a week right now, with my longer run happening on sat or sun at 7-8 miles.

I picked up Glide for the feet after a friend made the recommendation, but I can't really differentiate if I'm benefiting from the product? Maybe it's my inexperience with running, but I just figured I'd throw this out there while I'm at it :).

I'd also like to mention that I've been strictly running on a treadmill at the gym. It's been ages since I actually hit the pavement. The last time I did that, I stopped running for a while because of the shin splints. I have a half coming up mid-Nov (Queens), and I think I need to hit the outdoors this weekend so my body can acclimate. Probably should've done this earlier... but I was worried that I would stop training like I did previously. So my question here is, what can I do pre/post running? After each run, I'll spend a good ten or fifteen minutes stretching, and will ice my legs after the longer runs. Should I be doing anything else that can assist in recovery?

Lastly, about the foot doctor. It hasn't really crossed my mind yet to be honest. After what I've seen/read about Chi Running and the tips I picked up from the local store, I'm hoping it'll actually fix a lot of my current issues. And if getting a new pair of shoes, fixing my form, etc don't help, then I may have no other choice but to see the doc.

Once again, I appreciate all the feedback! :D
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Short suggestions:
1. As a triathlete, consider using/reading the slowtwitch.com forum. Tons of info there.
2. Recover with a protein drink after your bigger workouts.
3. Use upcoming races to set training goals.
4. Get a Garmin, Suunto, or equiv to measure performance and track progress. And while music or podcasts can be a nice distraction, they are not allowed on race day, so training without them is good mental race training.
5. As a former ref, my tri advice is "Read and understand the USAT rules." You would be astounded at how many race participants have no idea what the drafting rules are, and think that drafting just means riding close behind someone. It doesn't.
6. Join a local tri club and find a mentor.
Enjoy the journey!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Topic Author
dekciwRuasonid

Post by dekciwRuasonid »

Wow! Had no idea about the slowtwitch forum. Many thanks TimeRunner :sharebeer

As for the upcoming race, I'll be a happy camper hitting 10 minute miles. I'm looking forward to the experience more than anything. It'll be awesome running along other people. And knowing myself, I'll probably scout the field for other runners who I can match with in terms of cadence. I secretly want to be around 8 1/2 minutes a mile, but we'll see how that goes!

I'm thinking of getting a Flex 2 to track my daily workouts, but that's probably not sufficient to measure performance. Definitely need to look into this some more, but am open to hearing what others have used/like!

Just spent a few minutes reading the USAT rules. And holymoly. Got this page saved to read later. :shock: Appreciate the heads up!

I'm most likely going to joining the local running club at the store I visited the other day. Hoping to meet some awesome people, and potential mentors who've been in the game longer than me. Or at the very least, runners who will kick me in the rear. :twisted:
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

I am not a runner by any means; but recently went from being a complete couch potato to walking 7 miles a day to running 30 minutes thrice a week. I started in a similar state initially, where even 5 minutes of running gave me severe shin splints. I think I even had Palantir Fasciitis at one point.

Here are some of the things that helped me:
1) Gait analysis - going to the local store to get a gait analysis is definitely helpful. In particular, ask the sales person on what "kind" of shoes you should be looking at rather than just brand/model recommendations. For me, I had severe supination with high arches, so was recommended to purchase "Neutral Shoes" with high cushioning. For a friend of mine with flat feet, the recommendation was to purchase Stability shoes. Once you know the kind of shoes, you can look at models from Brooks, Hoka One One, Saucony, Mizuno, New Balance, and Asics (This is listed in my order of preference after trying each of them). I currently run in a Brooks Glycerin. Personally, I found the larger brands like New Balance, Asics, and Nike to be less comfortable compared to other brands like Brooks and Hoka. YMMV, of course.

2) Compression Socks - these did help me with shin splints. One caution to this is that Amazon has a lot of them with fake reviews. Before purchasing a brand, look up on fakespot.com or other review analysis sites on how trustworthy the reviews are. I have one from MudGear and like them.

3) Ice packs - If you are experiencing pain or injury, the best thing to do is to use ice packs to heal. Don't stress your leg until it is completely healed, even if it takes a few weeks. Don't try new shoes until you are healed - what shoes you like during pain will be very different from what you like once the pain is gone.

4) Insoles - I tried superfeet, but was not too impressed. The Orange ones worked OK, but green was not good for me. Even then, the biggest difference was getting the right shoe first. Last year, when I was in India, I ran across a local shop that makes custom insoles based on your foot mold. This generally is very expensive in U.S. (unless covered by insurance), but was remarkably cheap in India. The insole cost me about $40, but made a lot of difference (much more than Superfeet Orange). The podiatrist also wrote down the exact measurements for me, so I can order extra pairs in future through my relatives in India.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

dekciwRuasonid wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 am Calling all runners!

Thank you in advance!

Ever think about barefoot running??
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

I skipped a bunch, sorry if I’m repeating anything. I started running 5 years ago.

1) local store +1.

2) It’s better long term to learn proper form than to rely on cushioning to absorb excess impact. Sounds like you’re working on this.

3) Use Strava or Garmin to track your miles, throw shoes away at 300 or when the sole heel starts getting tiny cracks in it. You’ll need to carry your phone or a GPS watch to track miles.

4) 2 wide shoe brands I like are Altra and Topo. I’m on my 5th pair of Altra Torin shoes, very cushioned and light too. But, big caveat- both these companies believe in a lower heel-toe drop than normal. Topo does 4mm, Altra does 0. I think Mizuno runs 13-14mm, most are 10-15. It’ll take a little while for your calves and Achilles to adapt to flexing more, so if you get them, work them in slowly over a couple weeks or a month, starting with shorter easy runs and build up.

Good luck!
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Man, gotta say there is a LOT of questionable or outright wrong info posted in the threads above. I certainly don't have all the answers but I'd recommend sticking to advice from experienced and successful coaches or run trainers.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

lightheir wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm Man, gotta say there is a LOT of questionable or outright wrong info posted in the threads above. I certainly don't have all the answers but I'd recommend sticking to advice from experienced and successful coaches or run trainers.
Just curious which parts you feel are "outright wrong"?