Renting A Winter Escape For A Month

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alexa9

Renting A Winter Escape For A Month

Post by Alexa9 »

What is the best way to rent a place for an extended period and get a better rate? Most places charge excessive daily rates or want you to sign a year lease. I'm assuming airbnb or vrbo have better rates the longer you stay? Say a place in Southern Florida or Arizona for example.
TeamArgo

Re: Renting A Winter Escape For A Month

Post by TeamArgo »

There are a lot of weekly and monthly home and condo rentals in Florida. BUT starting in early January until late March, you are competing against the Canadians and Snowbirds who return to the same places year-after-year. Start now, and you may still be able to arrange for something, but time is running out.
“Love with your heart; Use your brain for everything else.” -Captain Disillusion
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Alexa9 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:45 pm What is the best way to rent a place for an extended period and get a better rate? Most places charge excessive daily rates or want you to sign a year lease. I'm assuming airbnb or vrbo have better rates the longer you stay? Say a place in Southern Florida or Arizona for example.
There are monthly rentals in Scottsdale but prices soar in the winter season. A bit cheaper n the not so prime areas. How about Hawaii? Short term rental.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I see that airbnb offers weekly and monthly discounts and fairly reasonable for a room in a shared house. I'm starting to wonder about couchsurfing at this point :x Maybe there will be some last minute deals? Or maybe a less desirable warm destination.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Alexa9 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:15 pm I see that airbnb offers weekly and monthly discounts and fairly reasonable for a room in a shared house. I'm starting to wonder about couchsurfing at this point :x Maybe there will be some last minute deals? Or maybe a less desirable warm destination.
Maybe warm"er" but not so warm might be more affordable. Taos NM, Sedona AZ, Prescott AZ, . . . . . Amarillo TX?. . . .
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MJS

Post by MJS »

Check Craigslist. You might even find someone who wants a house sitter.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I'm renting an Vrbo in Oahu for 2 weeks in January and I get some discount. I don't remember how much, could be 10%. Much cheaper than hotels, with cooking facility.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

May I recommend checking out a rental this season in the Florida Keys? We own a weekend home in Key Largo, and I can confirm that although there has been much damage and destruction to a swath of the area, there are also many areas that are either undamaged or cleaned up and ready for business. And there are so many, many small business owners and employees who depend on tourist revenues. It's touched my heart to see all the plywood signs along the Overseas Highway assuring passersby that 'we're open'.

So this is my PSA to suggest that if you are looking for a warm weather destination please consider supporting a lot of folks who are working desperately hard to climb back from a devastating natural blow.

As my very favorite plywood sign put it; 'You can't drown a Conch" (which is what the Keys' residents call themselves). Please throw a line to a lot of Conchs who are trying hard to keep paddling.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I know someone that rents a condo for a month at time in the Florida panhandle. She knows the area and which if the big condos she would want to stay in. As I recall she calls the condo management and they handle rentals for a lot of the units.
Gill

Post by Gill »

pennywise wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 am As my very favorite plywood sign put it; 'You can't drown a Conch" (which is what the Keys' residents call themselves). Please throw a line to a lot of Conchs who are trying hard to keep paddling.
Just to pick a nit, Conchs are limited to those living in Key West, not the entire Keys.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Homeaway.com and flipkey.com (along with vrbo.com) are good resources.

It helps to have some idea of the location. Weekly, monthly and longer rentals are available, but they may fill up fast for the winter getaway locations.

This ad is on our local Craigslist:

https://fargo.craigslist.org/vac/d/1650 ... 77699.html
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

I've been to many Caribbean islands over the last 30+ years, and my favorite is Granada - been there twice. Always fantasized about renting for a month or so on Grande Anse beach. Damn, I've even fantasized about buying a second home on Granda. Any other Granda lovers here? Any ideas about how to go about doing a long-term winter rental there?
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

vrbo is now going to start charging not just the person posting the place, but also the person who is renting it. Not sure how much those fees will be.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

When I didn't have a returning tenant, I would list my seasonal rental on Craig's List. It's getting late in the season, however, if you're looking for February or March in AZ. January may still be widely available.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 am Homeaway.com and flipkey.com (along with vrbo.com) are good resources.

It helps to have some idea of the location. Weekly, monthly and longer rentals are available, but they may fill up fast for the winter getaway locations.

I wouldn't let my family stay in that area down here :)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

littlebird wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 am When I didn't have a returning tenant, I would list my seasonal rental on Craig's List. It's getting late in the season, however, if you're looking for February or March in AZ. January may still be widely available.
Mid-January is not a bad time in AZ. You have to look not only at the snowbird population, but the events and avoid those times.

Early January - Fiesta Bowl.
Late January - Auto Auctions, Phoenix Open
Mid-February and on- Spring Training
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

That is why I said to "know the location". I was simply stating that you can "find" places quite easily (on Craigslist or other). Whether one should actually rent them is another thing.

Homeaway, vrbo, flipkey have reviews from people who stayed there. That can help. I make sure a place has a at least 10 good reviews or am very familiar with the area.
praxis

Post by praxis »

Want to gamble? There are condos and beach houses that escaped Harvey, Irma and Maria. If you can verify some details about the specific condition by speaking with a caretaker or a neighbor, you could negotiate a good rate with an owner. We are renting a $2500. beach house in the FL Keys for $500. next week. It escaped damage luckily, but people are worried so are accepting the airlines' liberal cancellation policies and opting out of this season's beach plans. There are many vacancies in Key West and Padre Island due to the news exposure from these hurricanes. You could call a Chamber of Commerce or try to contact owners in these areas via airbnb or VRBO. Many snowbirds have cancelled their plans and rebooked alternative vacations.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Try using VRB0.com
If you are renting for a month, you should be able to get a better rate.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Mr.BB wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 pm Try using VRB0.com
If you are renting for a month, you should be able to get a better rate.
From personal experience, make sure to check both VRBO and AirBNB for two reasons.

1) Find a cheaper price (possibly on the same place)
2) Make sure the place you are looking at, if on both sites, is not already booked on one or the other.

Have had 2 instances or getting reservations cancelled on VRBO due to the multiple calendar issue.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 am Homeaway.com and flipkey.com (along with vrbo.com) are good resources.

Personally, I'd be leery about using Craiglist since it is prone to attracting scam artists. See this article about fraudulent apartment rentals on Craigslist.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

We used VBRO for our winter escape. Now we have direct communications with the owners.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:11 pm
littlebird wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 am When I didn't have a returning tenant, I would list my seasonal rental on Craig's List. It's getting late in the season, however, if you're looking for February or March in AZ. January may still be widely available.
Mid-January is not a bad time in AZ. You have to look not only at the snowbird population, but the events and avoid those times.

People come here for these events, not to avoid them.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

For the Florida Keys where would your recommend? Looking for a 2-3 bedroom with 2 young kids (pool, close-ish to beach / state parks would be ideal. We've stayed at Hawk's Cay which we absolutely loved, but they're not taking reservations now as they do repairs.

Also, how does Captiva compare with the Keys?
Gill

Post by Gill »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 pm For the Florida Keys where would your recommend? Looking for a 2-3 bedroom with 2 young kids (pool, close-ish to beach / state parks would be ideal. We've stayed at Hawk's Cay which we absolutely loved, but they're not taking reservations now as they do repairs.

Captive is beautiful but, of course, not as warm in the winter as the Keys. Also, very hard to find something at this late date.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

littlebird wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm
runner3081 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:11 pm

People come here for these events, not to avoid them.
Right, the point being that is a "cheaper" or "less busy" time to come!
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Gill wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 pm For the Florida Keys where would your recommend? Looking for a 2-3 bedroom with 2 young kids (pool, close-ish to beach / state parks would be ideal. We've stayed at Hawk's Cay which we absolutely loved, but they're not taking reservations now as they do repairs.

Captive is beautiful but, of course, not as warm in the winter as the Keys. Also, very hard to find something at this late date.
Gill
Ok thanks. Captiva is one part of the Florida I haven't been to and would like eventually to check out, but I also like warm weather and water. That is one thing I distinctly remember about the Keys in January - both were perfect for my preference.