Any BMW X5 owners?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tin369

Any BMW X5 owners?

Post by tin369 »

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new car cpo and have always wanted a BMW X5, I was wondering how many who have owned the BMW x5 are happy with it and have owned it beyond the warranty period.

I think a 2-3 year old CPO is a good way to get into a luxury car. Just wanted some opinions from owners about ride quality, long term ownership, maintenance etc.
amindu

Re: Any BMW X5 owners?

Post by amindu »

I purchased a CPO 2013 X5 35i Premium in 2015 with 28K miles currently have 62K miles. I have mixed thoughts on ownership. My trunk would not open due to the automated struts in the mechanism going out and without the CPO would have cost me $1500 to fix. Oil leaks fixed under CPO. I am trying to get to a 100K miles and will trade it in, but will never purchase another BMW.

Find a good BMW only independent mechanic if you go ahead and purchase. I pay $80 for oil changes, and other maintenance done at reasonable prices as compared to the dealer.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I have owned a variety of BMWs and would not recommend one as a used car purchase or ownership beyond 8 years or so. BMW ownership from new to about 6 years old is great, the cars are very reliable and my experience has been that if you do recommended maintenance, the car performs very well during that time (new to about 6 years old). Each of my BMWs has begun to deteriorate in the 7th or 8th year and repairs have been costly. I own cars for 10+ years and found that after year 7, things begin to fail and costs are significant. I sold my last 5 series BMW in 2016 at the 10 year mark and was both glad to be rid of it and vowed never to own another, based on my cycle of ownership (10+ years per car). In the luxury German SUV category, I'd recommend a used Audi Q5.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

I had a 2012 X5. Purchased it with 8K miles in 2013 with the CPO.

I just sold it. i only put 30K miles on it in 4 years and i would guess i would have spent $15-20K in repairs alone had I not had the CPO. The engine intake, electronics, chassis, airbags, everything went wrong with it.

I don't think I will ever own another BMW. I bought a used CRV. Went from getting 14mpg to 30.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

OP, no, I personally do not own any BMW products nor do I plan on ever owning one.

That being said, as someone whom informally follows car maintenance, the posters here are in line with what to expect. Of course this is anecdotal evidence, but there's a running saying that you Buy Japanese and Lease German. I am not one whom normally advises buying extended warranties on vehicles (certainly Japanese ones), but I would recommend you give a thought or two into the factory EW on a BMW if you decide to go this route.
Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz »

Yea, Lexus IS comfy and reliable. Acura is more performance oriented and reliable. Infinity may be ok but most luxury seem like a ripoff: fun to drive but not very well built, especially for the cost
turbostance

Post by turbostance »

DW has a 2013 X5 35i with close to 70k. Eats tires but the twin turbo inline 6 is a blast. No major work outside of regular maintenance. Love the car but will likely go with an Outback next.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

DW has a 2016 X5, and loves it... she had an MDX prior and has let me know she wouldn’t go back to the Acura over the BMW. We haven’t had one problem with the car to date. The N55 engine is well known, and seems to be trouble free, at least on the BMW forums, and the ZF transmission is bullet proof.
One thing to know, BMW just changed the CPO from 2 years / 50k (on top of the factory 4y/50k) to 1 year and unlimited miles, with an option for a second year with an increased fee. If you have a relatively low mile example you’re looking at, I don’t believe the new CPO warranty is worth the premium over a standard non-CPO X5. Just food for thought.

E
KevinIA

Post by KevinIA »

Go to your local BMW dealer and take a look in the service department, I bet 50% or greater of the cars being worked on are X5's. Great performing cars, but they are super expensive to maintain. If it every breaks down out of warranty you will not want to get that bill. Don't buy any BMW that is not made in Germany, I drove them for years when I was younger but the constant maintenance gets old and costly. Switched over to Lexus and spend my free time and money on other things beside constant wrenching on the cars.
JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH »

I bought a CPO '15 X5 back in April. This is my third BMW:

- I owned a 2004 330i for 4 years, from 30K miles to 85K and it was 100% trouble free with almost no maintenance

- I owned a 2008 M3 for 4 years, from 50K to 75K. This car was also 100% trouble free with almost no maintenance.

So far, the X5 has been fantastic, no issues and I love the car. That said, I likely wouldn't own it without an warranty and will look into purchasing something with the CPO ends in a few years. IMO, the driving experience is worth the extra cost, but I know that runs counter to how most folks on here feel. I've test driven the lexus and the mercedes SUV's

One more thought - the previous generation of X5 (2009ish through 2013) with the V8 had numerous problems and were an absolute nightmare to own. The 6 cyl was more reliable, as mentioned the N55 motor is in a lot of platforms and is pretty solid. That said, all BMW's have a lot of parts that start to need replacement around the 100K mark which can be a large repair bill if there is no warranty coverage.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I have owned 2 BMWs (328i and X3) for the past 4-5 years out of warranty. They are 9 and 10 years old now, both with over 100k miles.

I have had to do basic maintenance on both and a couple of reasonable repairs (oil/filter/brake fluid changes, new tires/batteries/lights, some repairs like new actuators, valves, and other stuff that leaked or had cracks). The prices weren't all that bad since I have an independent mechanic that I like and trust. My repair and maintenance costs have probably averaged $500 - $750 each year per car. I'm fine paying that for german cars of this age and milage.

I plan to replace both cars in 2-3 years with 3 yr old CPOs (5 series and X5).
Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel »

tin369 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new car cpo and have always wanted a BMW X5, I was wondering how many who have owned the BMW x5 are happy with it and have owned it beyond the warranty period.

I think a 2-3 year old CPO is a good way to get into a luxury car. Just wanted some opinions from owners about ride quality, long term ownership, maintenance etc.
We bought a new 2012 X5 x35i about 6 years ago. The car has about 30k miles now and has never been in the shop other than for routine maintenance work and 1 or 2 recalls (Takada airbags?). The low mileage may have something to do with it, but we have been very happy with the car. I previously owned other BMWs (3 series), which were also mostly trouble-free, one from new to 80k miles and one from 100 to 180k miles (at which point it was basically done). As a minimum, I would base my decisions only on first-hand anecdotes...

edit: you may have noticed that BMW changed the standard CPO period from 2 to 1 years, which I personally found quite disappointing.
darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 »

We've leased one and liked it.

Nothing spectacular about the vehicle though and even during the brand new lease period, we had a couple of electrical issues that concerned us (backup camera fried for no reason within 6 months)

Ownership was otherwise uneventful.

I would echo the others in this post, solid car but I want no part of owning one outside of the warranty period.
Topic Author
tin369

Post by tin369 »

I am looking at an Mpsort 2015 X5 cpo, but hearing so many people say not to own it out of warranty makes me not take the risk. We did lease a 328xi and it was great, but don't know if it would have had issues if we had kept it past it warranty.

I don't want to lease it, and definitely don't want to buy new.

I will also need to replace my wife car early next year and am thinking about the Audi Q7 new purchase, but the thought of owning two German cars makes me nervous.

I have looked at all other cars and nothing is appealing to me, even the X5 does not have the greatest tech, but it looks great to me and I like the idrive. Would have bought the MDX, but Acura reliability has gone downhill as well.

We have also kicked around the idea of the Volvo XC90, but can't justify spending $60,000 for a Volvo.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

tin369 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm I will also need to replace my wife car early next year and am thinking about the Audi Q7 new purchase, but the thought of owning two German cars makes me nervous.
You don't need to worry too much. The Q7 is both the top rated and most-reliable "Luxury Midsized SUV" according to CR, beating out the Lexus RX. And this is not a fluke. The Q3 holds this title in the "Luxury Entry Level SUV" category, and the Q5 is #3 in the "Luxury Compact SUV" category, behind the Porsche Macan and Lexus NX, both of which have the same reliability rating as the Q5.
tin369 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pmWe have also kicked around the idea of the Volvo XC90, but can't justify spending $60,000 for a Volvo.
And if reliability is a high concern--from your post it seems paramount--the XC90 is an exceptionally poor choice, as it gets the lowest possible rating (much worse than average). I've also read numerous reports of repeated failures, some of which totally disabled the vehicle.
JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH »

tin369 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm I am looking at an Mpsort 2015 X5 cpo
This is what I purchased back in April, though I have the 5.0xdrive which you may feel is overkill.

To the other posts about reliability, if that's the largest concern, I would likely be leaning toward Lexus or Infiniti. That's the direction we'll go when my wife is ready for the next car. For her, the game plan is to buy/hold something and eventually realize the savings over the ownership period.

My case is different; I'm fine paying the ownership premium that comes with German cars as I get a lot more pleasure out of cars than those who consider them just a "tool".
Cash

Post by Cash »

tin369 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm I am looking at an Mpsort 2015 X5 cpo, but hearing so many people say not to own it out of warranty makes me not take the risk. We did lease a 328xi and it was great, but don't know if it would have had issues if we had kept it past it warranty.
We bought a 2015 X5 xDrive50i a few weeks ago from CarMax (cheaper than BMW CPO). Although I never get extended warranties, we got the 5-year/75k mile extended warranty after reading reviews. We'll probably trade it in toward the end and get another :).
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

tin369 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pmI am looking at an Mpsort 2015 X5 cpo, but hearing so many people say not to own it out of warranty makes me not take the risk. We did lease a 328xi and it was great, but don't know if it would have had issues if we had kept it past it warranty.
The BMW code for the X5 chassis you are looking for is F15 (2014 - current). Here are 2 BMW forums that can help you:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=464

We just bought a 2017 X5 40e last year. It's too soon for me to make any judgment on reliability but we're happy so far. We ordered our brimming with all the latest technology. I agree CPO is the way to go.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.