Pant Recommendations (Business Casual)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kywildcat

Pant Recommendations (Business Casual)

Post by Kywildcat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am

I work in a business casual environment, but struggle to find pants that I like to wear on a regular basis. I wear a 36 waist, but most business casual pants always seem tight around the waist to me (I don't seem to have this issue with jeans and other casual pants). I haven't tried a pair on, but I think that a 38 would be too lose on me as well.

Does anyone else have this issue and have recommendations for any brands that might run a little bigger/looser, but not as big as buying the next size up?

Sandtrap

Re: Pant Recommendations (Business Casual)

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 am

Dockers. Pleated front.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 am

Costco has some Kirkland Signature pants with a spring adjustable waist band. The spring is in the clasp. They look nice, come in 3 colors, and are $19.99. I tried to buy some, but they did not fit me.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am

Business casual to me was always a pair of dress slacks and a decent shirt and proper shoes. I always had the slacks adjusted by a tailor when I bought them. The "casual" was the pitching of the jacket and tie. I normally kept a jacket and tie in my office. Some places I had to go would be awkward without them.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 am

Kywildcat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am
I work in a business casual environment, but struggle to find pants that I like to wear on a regular basis. I wear a 36 waist, but most business casual pants always seem tight around the waist to me (I don't seem to have this issue with jeans and other casual pants). I haven't tried a pair on, but I think that a 38 would be too lose on me as well.

Does anyone else have this issue and have recommendations for any brands that might run a little bigger/looser, but not as big as buying the next size up?
What is your budget. I wear 36 as well and Brooks Brothers Milano advantage chinos are what I wear. Very comfortable, good fit, durable, they have been going on since past 5+ years. One can wait for their annual/semi annual sale to get these cheaper (I think they sell it at $68 during holiday season).

canderson

Post by canderson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 am

No pleats, just no.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am

Kywildcat wrote:

Brands have different fits now, but you seem to be concerned about the waist only. If the pants are too tight around the waist, they don't fit properly. Different brands can vary for the same nominal waist size, but even then the different models within the brand can vary, so you have to try them on.

You might also lose a little weight but stay in the same size pants. Even ten pounds would make your pants fit more comfortably. Honestly, that would be the cheapest and healthiest way to solve your problem. :beer

farnsy

Post by farnsy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:19 am

I tried a ton of different brands of slacks a while back and my favorite was the Stafford flat front black micro stripe pants from J.C. Penny. Normal price isn't good but they are always having super sales. I ended up buying 15 pair or so online the last time they went on sale. I like them very well and always choose them over my other pants. They fit at the waist, don't wrinkle, and aren't super baggy in the leg and crotch. I wear them with a short sleeved colored dress shirt and some black Doc Martens and I'm good to go for any business casual event. I can put on a tie if I want to dress up a little.

Kywildcat

Post by Kywildcat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am
You might also lose a little weight but stay in the same size pants. Even ten pounds would make your pants fit more comfortably. Honestly, that would be the cheapest and healthiest way to solve your problem. :beer
No argument from me on that point! I have been trying to lose some weight (separate from pants issue) so hopefully it will work itself out in the course of time.

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm a fan of Dockers Slim Tapered pants. They are truly slim and look pretty sharp. Very cheap at Kohl's when on sale.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Kywildcat wrote:

That’s funny because 36 are also a bit snug on me but 38 are way too loose. I looked on amazon for 37 but didn’t have much luck. Bottom line is I need to lose a few pounds to fit in 36. :mrgreen:

200couches

Post by 200couches » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

canderson wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 am
No pleats, just no.
^^truth

Going to tiptoe around this subject gingerly...any possibility of working to get down to a 34"/33" (or even 32")?

Edit--Pajamas beat me to it

GoCubsGo2016

Post by GoCubsGo2016 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Regular Fit Garment Washed Chino from Johnston Murphy. $88 and there is usually buy one get 2nd half off. I'm a 36 and they fit great. Also, Ted Baker London makes great casual pants (I usually buy at Nordstroms) that fit/look great, albeit a bit pricey ($170).

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Check out bonobos.com. My Son really likes their pants. They are mostly on-line, but have Guideshops in many areas now to help you make sure you get the right fit.

dk240t

Post by dk240t » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Fit is the most important thing, as long as the fabrics are decent quality.

Hit up a place that carries Dockers and grab a bunch of different cuts in sizes around where you think you are and try them all on. Like, take 20 pairs of pants to the dressing room. Or try out a Bonobos - they have a ton of different cuts.

Fit is the most important thing. You can't just order a pair of pants online and expect them to fit.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:21 pm

dk240t wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Hit up a place that carries Dockers and grab a bunch of different cuts in sizes around where you think you are and try them all on. Like, take 20 pairs of pants to the dressing room. Or try out a Bonobos - they have a ton of different cuts.

Fit is the most important thing. You can't just order a pair of pants online and expect them to fit.
Agreed. I've personally always considered a well-fitting pair of jeans to look much more professional than poor or okay-fitting dress pants.

If you have to wear a belt, your pants don't fit.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm
Kywildcat wrote:

That’s funny because 36 are also a bit snug on me but 38 are way too loose. I looked on amazon for 37 but didn’t have much luck. Bottom line is I need to lose a few pounds to fit in 36. :mrgreen:
... or pig out on ice cream for a while and fit into the 38s ;-) :beer

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 pm

euroswiss wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 pm
JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm
Kywildcat wrote:

... or pig out on ice cream for a while and fit into the 38s ;-) :beer
Hmmmm....

I suspect if fit comfortably into 38s I’d be well on my way to future increased medical expenses!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:53 pm

jadd806 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:21 pm
dk240t wrote:

Agreed. I've personally always considered a well-fitting pair of jeans to look much more professional than poor or okay-fitting dress pants.

I guess I am old and out of fashion enough to not like the current trend of body hugging pants or even clothes in general. Sure they look great if you are 25 and thin but 55 and....well you get the picture.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:53 pm
jadd806 wrote:
dk240t wrote:

I guess I am old and out of fashion enough to not like the current trend of body hugging pants or even clothes in general. Sure they look great if you are 25 and thin but 55 and....well you get the picture.
+1
I've recently become fairly dissatisfied with the belts made overseas. There are custom and small company USA belt makers the use fine "tack" quality USA leather. The belts cost a bit more but are outstanding in quality and texture. They are a good accent, whether "skinny jeans" or "senior" dockers . . . or loose fittin' jeans.

A lot of my pants and long sleeve shirts are now from Columbia. Good quality. Excellent materials. A bit pricey.

As for fit. . . it seems most pants nowadays are designed for those in the "accumulation phase" vs the retiree "expansion" phase. :P :shock:

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 pm
JBTX wrote:
jadd806 wrote:
dk240t wrote:

+1
I've recently become fairly dissatisfied with the belts made overseas. There are custom and small company USA belt makers the use fine "tack" quality USA leather. The belts cost a bit more but are outstanding in quality and texture. They are a good accent, whether "skinny jeans" or "senior" dockers . . . or loose fittin' jeans.

As for fit. . . it seems most pants nowadays are designed for those in the "accumulation phase" vs the retiree "expansion" phase. A lot of my pants and long sleeve shirts are now from Columbia. Good quality. Excellent materials. A bit pricey.
I’m not at all a fashionista. I’ve worn shorts and pocket t shirt everyday since early June except for 1 where I put jeans on to meet a former coworker for lunch.

I knew when you said pleats somebody in the thread was going to get uncomfortable. :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 pm
JBTX wrote:
jadd806 wrote:
dk240t wrote:

+1

As for fit. . . it seems most pants nowadays are designed for those in the "accumulation phase" vs the retiree "expansion" phase. A lot of my pants and long sleeve shirts are now from Columbia. Good quality. Excellent materials. A bit pricey.
I’m not at all a fashionista. I’ve worn shorts and pocket t shirt everyday since early June except for 1 where I put jeans on to meet a former coworker for lunch.

I knew when you said pleats somebody in the thread was going to get uncomfortable. :D
LOLOLOLO :D :D :D :sharebeer

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I'd recommend to get a left and right pant, to get a matching set of pants.
To the pants I would add a matching loincloth. A loincloth makes attaching the left pant and right pant to the waist thus, holding up each pant at the proper height.
Definitions are important, :mrgreen:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I've been reasonably happy with adjustable waistband options. I have a few pants from Sams Club that are more traditional and also some golf pants from JosAbanks. Both work fine with or without a sport coat.

Leadbetter golf pants http://www.josbank.com/leadbetter-pants

Perry Ellis https://www.samsclub.com/sams/wrinkle-f ... roduct:1:1

mikepru

Post by mikepru » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm

I would say look at Lands End and LL Bean. Both have multiple styles and fits, as well as lots of 37 waist.

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Duluth trading company. They have an insane guarantee, (which I have used and didn't have any issue), hilarious ads, and their clothes rock. Get the Duluth flex style chinos/khakis, so comfortable and have some extra....room. I have replaced every single pair of pants I own with their stuff. Buy them a size up from what you normally wear. I usually wear a ~32*32 and I get the 35*32. They will shrink a little. They will last a long time, and if you ever wear them out, go exchange for a new pair.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 pm

This thread cracks me up. Styleforum.net please

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Brands have different fits now, but you seem to be concerned about the waist only. If the pants are too tight around the waist, they don't fit properly. Different brands can vary for the same nominal waist size, but even then the different models within the brand can vary, so you have to try them on.
Ditto. I have even ordered five pairs of pants of the same size and model from the same manufacturer at the same time, and had to send three pairs back for being too small or too large. Quality control is awful everywhere. You must try them on to know if they fit. I am a giant and cannot often do so before I buy them - my size is not usually available in stores, not even big and tall stores (which are actually big *or* tall stores :annoyed ).

Look for free returns on Amazon. :P
Hey! What? That's What!

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:50 pm

I also wear a 36. I hate everything about shopping for clothes, so now I buy on Amazon which has been awesome. I now buy these pants exclusively because I know they are going to fit me the right way and the comfort waist helps for comfort.

Lee Men's Comfort Waist Custom Straight Fit Flat Front Pant. I pay $29.99.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 am

tooluser wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Ditto. I have even ordered five pairs of pants of the same size and model from the same manufacturer at the same time, and had to send three pairs back for being too small or too large. Quality control is awful everywhere. You must try them on to know if they fit. I am a giant and cannot often do so before I buy them - my size is not usually available in stores, not even big and tall stores (which are actually big *or* tall stores :annoyed ).

Look for free returns on Amazon.
:P
+1
One post retirement project has been to completely redo my "entire" 1/4 of the large walk-in closet I "share" :( with DW.

Lately, I've gone through $1000 worth of clothes to find $200 worth that fit my evolving retired senior physique. :shock:

Thank goodness for Amazon free returns and 100% refund. :D

macheta

Post by macheta » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 am

i always spend a lot of time trying on clothes before buying them. Just because I know my size doesn't mean the clothes will fit and be comfortable.

Kywildcat

Post by Kywildcat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. As much as I hate shopping in general (not just because of $$ factor), I forced myself to go to Kohls this weekend and try on a bunch of different brands/styles. I found a set of Dockers that is very comfortable and looks good as well. They were a little more expensive than most options at Kohls, but well worth it.

Lesson learned.......it's easier to buy pants in-person instead of online unless I know specifically what brand/style fits.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 am

tooluser wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm
Pajamas wrote:

Look for free returns on Amazon. :P
My thoughts, as well. I can try on three 36 inch waist Dockers, and all will be a different size.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Check out Jcrew's Bowery pants, they're flat front and hang on your hips. Catch them on sale for around $60-70.

Pleated slacks are a valid option and serve a functional purpose but you have to realize they sit at your natural waistline. The problem is that dockers, and khakis from the Gap killed pleated pants for a generation back in the late 1990's because they made them ride too low and people wore them incorrectly.

If you're overweight, flat front slacks will only accentuate that issue. Either lose weight or find out how to properly wear pleated pants which help conceal it by offering a more continuous silhouette.

Google “Smart Casual” for an updated sharper take on Business Casual (which for the most part has devolved into chino khakis and golf shirts).

egionesco

Post by egionesco » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 am
Dockers. Pleated front.
Absolutely no pleats. It's not 1985.

Also, don't be frugal. More expensive clothes tend to look better and make you look better. That being said, if there is one place to skimp it is mens' pants. But do not buy cheap shoes.

Also, get as close as you can in size but always take everything to a tailor to get it perfect.

This might not sound spendthrift, but if you are working you will get your value back in terms of more respect, increased chances of promotions, raises, etc. These things are difficult to quantify but you are being judged on how you dress.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Pleated pants are back. Don't listen to the aging naysayers who are stuck in the fashions of the last millennium.

https://www.gq.com/story/try-pleated-pants

northtexan

Post by northtexan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:11 pm

My favorite dress pants are from Nordstrom, they are the Mens Shop pants, come in many colors, very comfortable and they are un-hemed with free hemming to fit by their tailors. They run about 50-60 dollars but are good pants.

Pacman

Post by Pacman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm

I alternate between brooks brothers and costco kirkland pants, in a corporate environment. I'm young and do wear pleated pants which I've always viewed as a conservative look, compared to the guy I used to work with who had tight unpleated pants on which showed off his you know what. Are pleated pants really that bad, assuming one works in a conservative work environment?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 pm

egionesco wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 am
Dockers. Pleated front.
Absolutely no pleats. It's not 1985.

Also, don't be frugal. More expensive clothes tend to look better and make you look better. That being said, if there is one place to skimp it is mens' pants. But do not buy cheap shoes.

Also, get as close as you can in size but always take everything to a tailor to get it perfect.

This might not sound spendthrift, but if you are working you will get your value back in terms of more respect, increased chances of promotions, raises, etc. These things are difficult to quantify but you are being judged on how you dress.
Okay. No pleats it is.
As I'm retired and on a mini ranch, I will be seen by the horses, my cat, my physical therapist, my doctors, DW, fellow "old fart seniors", and cows off in the distance. :D
No pleats on my work jeans.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Pacman wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm
I alternate between brooks brothers and costco kirkland pants, in a corporate environment. I'm young and do wear pleated pants which I've always viewed as a conservative look, compared to the guy I used to work with who had tight unpleated pants on which showed off his you know what. Are pleated pants really that bad, assuming one works in a conservative work environment?
No, not if your coworkers are wearing them, and especially compared to the tight "hipster" pants that you mentioned that only look good on those who are underweight.

http://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/front-center/

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am
Business casual to me was always a pair of dress slacks and a decent shirt and proper shoes. I always had the slacks adjusted by a tailor when I bought them. The "casual" was the pitching of the jacket and tie. I normally kept a jacket and tie in my office. Some places I had to go would be awkward without them.
+1. I am retired as of this year so don’t listen to me. But used to manage somewhat large organization. Always thought that best look was wool or wool blend dress slacks, tailored of course, with very nice, even expensive, leather shoes and decent shirt. Don’t skimp on the shoes. But did I mention that I am retired? No longer really care. Good luck.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 pm

I kept waiting on the Munchkin Man to weigh in on this one.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:31 pm
Pacman wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm
No, not if your coworkers are wearing them, and especially compared to the tight "hipster" pants that you mentioned that only look good on those who are underweight.

http://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/front-center/
Pleated pants are fine provided that they fit you and are in proportion to your body and other items. Menswear is supposed to be timeless, classic.

Flat front slacks is definitely a fashionable trend that favors slim men and is on it's way out. People get tired of seeing the same thing year after year so the pendulum will always swing back to the other side (pleated versus flat, cuff versus no cuff, thin lapel versus thick, narrow collar versus spread).

A great book to read on the subject of menswear is Alan Flusser's “Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion”. It's helped me adapt a timeless modern look that requires very little upkeep or seasonal updates. Focus on fit and proportion.