Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Re: Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Post by CULater » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm

As for Android Auto/Carplay, this was on my list of must-haves. It makes sense if you have the option of buying the vehicle without paying for the in-dash Navi. You can do that with the CRV. But I got the Touring which has the Garmin Navi standard. Garmin not as good as Google Maps for sure, but I find myself just using the Garmin Navi so I don't have to bother tethering my phone to the auto USB. And the Garmin Navi does have the advantage of showing the speed limit, which Android Auto does not. I still like the option of Android Auto, but I'm not as sure now that not having it would be a deal-breaker if the car Navi is decent and doesn't cost a fortune to add as an option.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Impromptu wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm
In 9 out of 10 ways minivans are better than SUVs. The Toyota Sienna is even AWD. But if you really want a lesser quality class of people-mover, then the Mazda or the Honda are decent vehicles.
Not in this case.
The OP doesn't need a 7 seater. I couldn't find the AWD Sienna on Toyota's website and neither the Odyssey nor Sienna (in FWD version) achieves the same MPG as the CX-5 and Tuscon in AWD. Seems a bit of a waste to have something as large as a minivan for 3 people.

Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Alright, went to some dealerships today to check out some cars.

We saw the following:

Mazda CX-5
Hyundai SantaFe
Ford Escape

At the end of the day, I was extremely impressed with the CX-5. I've always been a Mazda fan, but when I sat in the 2017 Grand Touring CX-5, the redesign of it (exterior and interior) is just so nice. It is $10K over our price range and I HATE buying brand new (depreciation hit) but it may be worth it.

I never test drove it, but the wife did. Again, there wasn't anything she was really looking for other than it was something different than her current car, but I notice.

We will probably wait until the holidays to pull the trigger on one.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm

The 2018 should be landing in dealerships in a few months - hopefully you can get a nice discount on a 2017 model at that time. I just read some car news reports that it starts production in Nov 2017.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

pinhead

Post by pinhead » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm

You could probably get a 2012 Lexus RX 350 with around 60K to 80K miles. You wont regret this decision. These are baby miles.

Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Ok all, bumping this back up.

So pricing out a 2017 CX5, you're looking at about $35K+taxes, which to me is pretty crazy for a Mazda. I've always bought "used" to save on the depreciation. Making sure I know the history of the car, the owner has maintenance records etc. So lately, I've been doing some research on some alternative cars.

Audi Q5
BMW X5
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lexus RX350

etc.

For something that has a around 30-40K miles on it already, you're looking at around $25-$30K price range before any negotiations. What I don't know is reliability/maintenance.

My parents have a RX350 and my sister has a Grand Cherokee, both of which I like. Spacious, comfortable and seems reliable based upon their ownership.

Any of you guys have any experience with these?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:04 pm

- Someone in my extended family has a Jeep, it's always in the shop. But they're "Jeep People" and will thus keep fixing it and driving it! ("It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...") :wink:
- Have owned a BMW. It means Bring More Wallet. Other than that, they are very nice.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Lexus if you can can accept the styling.

Lloydo

Post by Lloydo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am
If you want AWD, get the Forester or Outback, whichever your wife likes more.

If not, get the Mazda CX-5.

Either way you’ll want good winter tires for snow/ice.
Just bought a 2018 Outback today. Paid $200 over dealer cost (Invoice - Holdback + Destination) with 5 years at 0% financing. Still too much money but I'm happy with the deal.

VGisforme

Post by VGisforme » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:15 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm
Ok all, bumping this back up.

So pricing out a 2017 CX5, you're looking at about $35K+taxes, which to me is pretty crazy for a Mazda. I've always bought "used" to save on the depreciation. Making sure I know the history of the car, the owner has maintenance records etc. So lately, I've been doing some research on some alternative cars.

Audi Q5
BMW X5
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lexus RX350

etc.

For something that has a around 30-40K miles on it already, you're looking at around $25-$30K price range before any negotiations. What I don't know is reliability/maintenance.

My parents have a RX350 and my sister has a Grand Cherokee, both of which I like. Spacious, comfortable and seems reliable based upon their ownership.

Any of you guys have any experience with these?
Wow so you've bumped up a few classes here. Originally you were targeting used Mazdas and Cherokees now it's BMW, Audi and Lexus?

The appeal of the luxury car is usually the no maintenance for 3years/36k miles and then you dump it if that's what you do. So you run the risk of buying someone else's problem. I'd avoid Audi and BMW if you're at all trying to keep costs down. The Lexus is better but so would be a RAV4 or a CRV.

Why not try a new CRV with Honda Sensing that should be chic enough. Going from a Nissan Cube to the CRV will be a huge upgrade. If you go to a BMW X5 or Audi Q5 there's no going back and the repair bills for common things like brakes will hurt.

If you do your own brake jobs that will help but there is a reason for the big depreciation hit on luxury vehicles, no one wants to pay for the maintenance to keep them running from 30k miles to 125k miles.