building contractor has no license

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
looking

building contractor has no license

Post by looking » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 pm

I hired a contractor for home repairs but later found he does not have license he lied
I paid $ 1700 for repair home but it breaks down. so i tried to send a demand letter first and later file lawsuit but could not find his address, how can i find his legal address so i can send a demand letter and if not get paid i file a law suit.

Sandtrap

Re: building contractor has no license

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 am

looking wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 pm
I hired a contractor for home repairs but later found he does not have license he lied
I paid $ 1700 for repair home but it breaks down. so i tried to send a demand letter first and later file lawsuit but could not find his address, how can i find his legal address so i can send a demand letter and if not get paid i file a law suit.
If he did lie, and is dishonest and "fly by night", you will not collect. Most likely even if you find his legal address and send a demand letter, you will not get a refund. And, it will cost you more in legal fees to recover the money. If you win a case in small claims court you will receive a judgment to collect. The court does not collect your money for you. The court gives you the "right" to collect. Then you either pursue collection yourself or send it to a collection agency which will take 50% in some cases. There are exceptions depending on location and situation. This is one example.

You may be able to find his address on the internet searches.

In the future, get several estimates for repair work from licensed, bonded, insured, professionals. Check with the local licensing board to verify that they are licensed. Ask for evidence of prior work done and double check that they are legit. and work done well. Check on the internet if they have had complaints. The cheapest price is not always a bargain, yet, there is always a tendency to find the cheapest price for a project or repairs.

I have rental properties and apartment buildings and investments in Hawaii and in the mainland USA. This is a common problem because of the sheer number of contractors and repair persons that are called upon.
It is the responsibility of the owner to check and verify everyone that is hired to do repairs and projects.

Assume that everyone might lie, check, check , and verify to protect your business. If other landlords or business folks or friends refer a contractor that has done good work, you must still verify everything before hiring them and giving them money.
Get everything in writing first. Address. Price. Time to completion. What is to be done. Etc.
Business card. Invoice. Statement. Receipt for payment. etc. A professional will have all of this.

Good luck,
j

celia

Post by celia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 am

On something like this, it is unlikely you will recover any money. Even if you were to win a small claims judgement from him, you are unlikely to collect any money.

However, since it appears you live in California, the California State Contractors Board wants to know about people like this since they give law-abiding licensed contractors a bad name.
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/Report ... _Activity/

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (legal advice). As a reminder, see: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Also see the disclaimer at the bottom of every forum page:
No guarantees are made as to the accuracy of the information on this site or the appropriateness of any advice to your particular situation.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

looking

illegally working buiding contractor

Post by looking » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I just wondering anyone has this kind of experiences;
i trusted this guy whatever he said. My contractor is working patio cover and garage door and window and door replacement and something is not right so i was suspicious and found out he lied and has no license, any insurance and no bonded. the work is half done. i made no contract in writing and no need permit for window and door replacement.

Can i have him stop the work and get him out of my home and chase him out and no paying to him . if he demands payment, what kind of resources i have and should i see call attorney or report legal department. Or call police for trespassing private property or as illegal work without license
Last edited by looking on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

WhyNotUs

Re: illegally working buiding contractor

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

Do you have a contract or agreement with license, bonding, etc. provisions?

Have there been regular inspections?

Do you have a valid building permit?

I would get answers to this and then (assuming yes, yes, yes,) meet with contractor immediately and present facts and then seek remedy.
If the answers above include no's then you need to provide more info before an answer is possible.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:46 am

You're likely going to have to pay him for the work he's done unless you can establish that the work is defective in some way or that the required permits were not obtained, etc.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:58 am

My personal experience:

If it happened to me I would be asking myself:
Is he doing good work as he promised?
Does it seem like he's going to finish the job and do it well?
Perhaps I might ask the contractor about it and sometimes it can be overlooked.

Sometimes I have had wonderful work done by contractors with no license, other license or expired license. The fact that sometimes they had lied about the license is not necessarily going to mean that I would be cheated or the job would not be done right.

In Hawaii there is a certain job price that if not exceeded does not need a license but likely different elsewhere.

OTOH I have spoken to contractors halfway through a project and come to an agreement to pay them up to that point and then part company.

This is my personal experience owning apartment buildings in Hawaii, Arizona, and California, and not legal advice.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

looking wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am
I just wondering anyone has this kind of experiences;
i trusted this guy whatever he said. My contractor is working patio cover and garage door and window and door replacement and something is not right so i was suspicious and found out he lied and has no license, any insurance and no bonded. the work is half done. i made no contract in writing and no need permit for window and door replacement.

Can i have him stop the work and get him out of my home and chase him out and no paying to him . if he demands payment, what kind of resources i have and should i see call attorney or report legal department. Or call police for trespassing private property or as illegal work without license
Is this about the same contractor you mentioned on a different post yesterday, also one without a license?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=230154&p=3579110#p3579110

That post was already blocked.

How is this situation different, so we can best try to help?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

looking

Post by looking » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Report this post Quote
Post by WhyNotUs »

no contract made and no need permit ..window and door and patio cover

looking

Post by looking » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

I would get answers to this and then (assuming yes, yes, yes,) meet with contractor immediately and present facts and then seek remedy.
If the answers above include no's then you need to provide more info before an answer is possible.

looking

Post by looking » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

nickjoy

Post by nickjoy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm

You don't need permits for any of that stuff.

Contractors aren't required to be bonded.

It sounds like it's just a guy and not a company, so he doesn't have to be insured either. Unless something goes wrong.

Right now it sounds like this is kind of 1099'ing him.

You're overthinking this. If you trust the guy, trust him. If not, pay him what you owe him and get a company to finish it.

(I used to be a contractor/subK for garage doors. We only got bonded when the county required it, and just for county jobs)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

looking wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 pm
In my experience:
Actionably:
A contractor is not needed for this type of work. A competent carpenter or handyman could do this quite well.
Pay by the hour if you want to. Time and materials, and you buy the materials.
If he is a good carpenter, let him finish the work.
Actionable:
If you have paid up front, and he has walked away with your money, and you do not have his address or contact, then you can only find someone else to finish the project. As for your money paid to the lst "contractor". It's gone.

tashina
Site Admin

Post by tashina » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

This topic was previously locked. Please do not re-post.
LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 am
This thread has run its course and is locked (legal advice). As a reminder, see: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Also see the disclaimer at the bottom of every forum page:
No guarantees are made as to the accuracy of the information on this site or the appropriateness of any advice to your particular situation.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 pm

I have merged the previously locked thread into here.

(Topic remains locked.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.