Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DiggleRex

Re: Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Post by DiggleRex » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm

So google is already aware of all the screen complaints. I wonder if software alone can fix it though.
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-fix/

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am
No. I would get either iPhone or Samsung. Stay with the big name.
ha do you know how big a google is?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am
No. I would get either iPhone or Samsung. Stay with the big name.
ha do you know how big a google is?
Google? Never heard of it. Let me google that name and see what I come up with...
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:24 pm
MathWizard wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 pm
My Nexus 5x is good enough, no need to pay for a Pixel.
Until that 5X locks up, you mean.
I'm on my third Nexus 5x. The first two died under warranty and got replaced for free. So I'm happy for now.
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Pixel 2 before too long but I'm not sure just when.
I do have a spare smartphone I could use for a while if/when this 5X croaks...
Maybe I'm just lucky. I've had mine for nearly a year and a half, and no problems.

It's good to know that there may be problems though. I have a tracfone (iphone5s) as a backup.
I'm trying out Fi and did not want to spend so much on the phone when I might not go that direction.

pochax

Post by pochax » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 pm

after i saw the new pixel 2 and 2 XL features/release, i didn't see the value proposition to pay that much. i ended up getting a brand new unlocked LG G6 for <$500 new and a 64GB sd card and i put a google launcher to make it look closer to stock android. will it be as good as the pixel 2/XL in terms of software and camera experience? probably not, but i saved $180-300 for those tradeoffs and i still get a 5.7" display but a smaller device to fit my hands (my previous Nexus 6P was way too big and unwieldy in retrospect). the camera will still be better than any motorola camera. oh and it is waterproof and does wireless charging to boot.

have had the phone for only a few days but i love it and think it will work just fine.

oh yeah, and it has a headphone jack :)

ILnative

Post by ILnative » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

For those with a Nexus 5x - please be prepared for this phone to die/bootloop on you. Mine worked great and then with no warning froze up and I was in the dreaded bootloop. This is 17 months in to having this phone (purchased in May 2016). Looking at the various chat rooms/reviews - this is happening to many, many phones - most between the 12-18 month time period after purchase. Google will not help you at this point. I sent mine to LG as it was in pristine condition (protected with cover, never dropped, never wet) and they said they would fix it if it is a manufacturing defect (which this is - I think there is even a class action lawsuit about it). Some have had luck with this route (LG) and it only cost me $5 to send the phone in.

You should have a back up plan- especially if you are travelling. I now am the proud owner of a Kroger purchased AT&T prepaid Samsung and am paying for one month of prepaid (and Project FI - at least it is cheap) while I wait to see if LG will fix my phone. Didn't take me long to set up and get my calls/texts forwarded to the prepaid - but I was without any service for a while before I figured out what I wanted to do.

I'm hoping they fix the Nexus so I can have some runway to figure out what I want to do and/or for Project FI to have some more phones be compatible. After this experience - I'm not really trusting the Google branded/produced phones. If push comes to shove and i have to get something else right now- I'll probably go with the Motorola that is compatible.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I currently have a Pixel XL, and my wife has the Pixel (both 2016 models). They're our favorite phones ever. Great cameras. Best Android experience I've had. I've had a Samsung phone before, and I just hate their software experience. But if you can tolerate the Samsung software, then Samsung definitely has the best hardware for Android.

That said, I'm trading in my Pixel XL for the $420 credit from Google to upgrade to the Pixel 2 XL. Even better camera, and phones are my yearly spending vice I suppose. But I'm a tech geek (and when I come home it's the only device I ever seem to get to use over kids/wife). My coworker made fun of me for it, but he drives a brand new corvette compared to my 99 Toyota Camry, so I think I'm still coming out on top for cost savings for vices...

Some things to consider:
The Pixel 2 XL has multiple internet threads slamming it for the screen. I suggest you go to the Verizon store and look at it yourself. It looks like a great screen to my eye. Seems as good as the original Pixel, but not as good as the latest Samsung. And I'm usually pretty discerning on TV displays. Basically, if you hold the phone at an angle the screen looks like crap. Guess what; so does every non 2017 Samsung panel display phone. They just have varying ways they look like crap while tilted, whereas the Pixel 2 XL has a blue tint. There is a reason Apple picked Samsung for their iPhoneX OLED display panel though.

I didn't notice any banding or clouding or graininess like other reviews say. I did notice the blue tint when tilted, but it didn't bother me. I try not to use my phone at an angle...

That said, the colors are muted on the Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 2 phones. If you compare it directly to a new Samsung or Apple display, you'll think it looks washed out. That's because Apple and especially Samsung saturate the colors on their displays to make them stand out. The Google display is actually technically more accurate. It's sort of a personal preference. If you compare side by side, if you spend just a few seconds you'll think the Pixel 2 looks washed out. But if you look at pictures of people and skin tones you'll start to realize that colors look more realistic on the Pixel 2. But some people don't like that. You can try this out on Samsung or original Pixel phones by switching to sRGB. Personally, I prefer the more realistic colors after extensive use, but if I compare side to side my first reaction is that it is washed out. FWIW, Google did respond to these washed out comments and said they were considering a software option to provide more saturated displays if enough people prefer them.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Gadget wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 pm
FWIW, Google did respond to these washed out comments and said they were considering a software option to provide more saturated displays if enough people prefer them.
+1, me also taking the trade-in and upgrading Pixel XL 1 to a 2. Looking forward to downsizing from Lifeproof case to Evo Check Case. Screen doesn't worry me at all. For references, see also: https://www.google.com/search?q=google+ ... l+2+screen
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am

Got my Pixel 2 XL on Thursday. Noticed a dead pixel on my Pixel! It's stuck on blue right near the center of the screen.

Took awhile on the phone with their support when I called about it. They required me to send them a picture showing the dead pixel but now they're sending a replacement free of charge and letting me use the original phone they shipped until the replacement arrives. Hopefully the new phone has no dead pixels.

So far the few pics I've taken with its camera are really awesome though, best phone camera I've ever used.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

pochax wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 pm
i ended up getting a brand new unlocked LG G6 for <$500 new and a 64GB sd card and i put a google launcher to make it look closer to stock android.
How are you liking the G6 so far? I saw it in person today. It looks nice. Seems like it was ignored when it came out and doesn't have the best reviews, so curious of your experience with it so far. What network are you using it unlocked on?

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am

BeerMoney wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am
Got my Pixel 2 XL on Thursday. Noticed a dead pixel on my Pixel! It's stuck on blue right near the center of the screen.
That is a shame! hopefully it gets sorted out. I looked at it again in person today..price aside for a moment, I think if I were to put a decent case on it, it'll become quite large (especially in height). I may hold off just a bit longer to see what more people say about the screen. Also curious if google plans on dropping the price of the first pixels anytime soon--they're still quite expensive for 1 year old phones.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 pm

I am, for security reasons, I only feel comfortable sticking with the Pixel line or the iPhone line.

I currently have a OnePlus device. Great specs, great price. There was a report a few weeks ago that OnePlus was collecting a significant amount of data off their phones.

I prefer sticking with the big names and the ones with the most frequent security updates for that reason.

While I prefer the larger screens, I am a bit disappointed in the early reviews about the Pixel 2 XL's screen. Might be using the small form factor again (owned the original small Pixel and LOVED the camera on it)

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 pm

I got the Pixel 2. Have had my hands on it for 24 hours now and really liking it. Coming from an original Moto X (2013) which was beginning to have serious issues with battery, USB port, and cellular antenna.

I'm not a "newest phone" person as you can tell from previous phone, but my phone is my primary computing device except for games so I don't mind spending for something good. I strongly prefer a smaller phone. My primary concern was future proofing, ie top of current line for chipset and RAM, as well as software update availability.

I also do typically like Google's design philosophy and I'm cautiously optimistic about our new AI overlords.

I would not recommend this phone for anyone who is obsessed with screen size or wanting a phone that looks flashy.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 pm

I thought about getting the Pixel 2 XL but once I saw the price, I went and bought the OnePlus 5. Great reviews, battery life, stock Android experience at just over $500 for 128GB. Great deal imo.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 pm

harrychan wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 pm
I thought about getting the Pixel 2 XL but once I saw the price, I went and bought the OnePlus 5. Great reviews, battery life, stock Android experience at just over $500 for 128GB. Great deal imo.
Have the same phone and love it

This worried me though and it's why I'm willing to spend more to stick with pixel and iPhone devices : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thever ... itive-data

bandoba

Post by bandoba » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 pm

darrvao777 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 pm
harrychan wrote:

This worried me though and it's why I'm willing to spend more to stick with pixel and iPhone devices : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thever ... itive-data
Yup, OnePlus is great. I'm having issue with GPS though, are you guys having similar issues?

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:21 pm

bandoba wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 pm
darrvao777 wrote:
harrychan wrote:

Yup, OnePlus is great. I'm having issue with GPS though, are you guys having similar issues?
No problems with the GPS, just worried about data collection issues

Phone is otherwise awesome and would've been a great line to continue with for a serial phone churner like myself

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am
32 is pretty small. One of the reasons I switched from Samsung to LG was the SD slot; that and the removable battery.
DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am
I never had the old one but it got consistently solid reviews. I was considering doing that based on your same logic, but they really aren't (yet) bringing down the price of the old one yet. I'm afraid 32GB with no SD card slot would be too small, and the 128G one is still pretty expensive. I would think they'd want to unload their old stock, but what do I know.
Pixel devices come with free cloud storage for photos and videos. You can have this set to run automatically when on Wi-Fi (or cellular if you like to use up your data). Settings->Storage-> Turn on "smart storage".

Shouldn't have worries about memory space on a Pixel unless you are doing a lot of video and don't have access to Wi-Fi for free cloud uploads.

I think Pixel 2 allows full quality photos. Not sure on Pixel 1. I have the Nexus 6P and only get unlimited "high quality" photo and video storage rather than full original quality. Pixel devices should get free could storage regardless of carrier. Not sure on Nexus 6P -> definitely get the free storage on Google Fi (which we have).

My wife enjoys her Pixel very much.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:44 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 pm
DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am
... and the Pixel 2 has an incredibly dated look to it.
So do I :shock:
We are patiently waiting for Travelgeek 2.0 :D

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

I'm very happy with my Pixel 2 so far.

One advantage over every other Android phone that I know of is Google will provide three full years of OS and security updates. Typically, other Android phones only guarantee a year or two of updates and are slow to put them out.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am
pochax wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 pm
i ended up getting a brand new unlocked LG G6 for <$500 new and a 64GB sd card and i put a google launcher to make it look closer to stock android.
How are you liking the G6 so far? I saw it in person today. It looks nice. Seems like it was ignored when it came out and doesn't have the best reviews, so curious of your experience with it so far. What network are you using it unlocked on?
i really like it. i use it on Cricket wireless (AT&T MVNO)- just plopped my SIM card from my 6P and it was good to go. there were a few small things that my Nexus 6P could do with Oreo (8.0) from a software standpoint but not that big of a deal. there are MANY things i like about the G6 better than my 6P:
- easier in the hands (6P was too big in retrospect)
- that 18:9 screen is really nice
- a little quicker (Snapdragon 821 in G6 vs. 810 in 6P)
- wireless charging (bought a $14 charging disc on Amazon...just plop it down when i go to bed and 100% battery in the morning)
- IP68 dust/waterproof (although i have not tested)

actually i saw lots of nice reviews on it but they were honest about the shortcomings (32GB internal storage but there is micro SDcard expansion, Snapdragon 821 vs. most flagships have 835, inconsistent battery life depending on user, camera may not beat Samsung, iphone, or Pixel 2). would refer you to Pocketnow (6 months later) and Dave Lee 2D's videos on youtube. also look at several camera shootouts with the iphone 8 and Samsung S8....the differences may not be as stark as people say.

the issue is LG came out with the V30 which made up for many of the shortcomings but the prices on the V30 are as high as iphone/Pixel 2 right now so not worth it. G6 is <$500 new and even <$400 used for the unlocked version.

so i did my own comparison:
G6 vs. Pixel 2XL: $300 price difference - lose out on 32GB storage, slightly worse camera/battery life, worse OS software, Pixel 2XL has those dreaded screen issues
G6 vs. S8: $150-200 price difference - lose out on storage, worse camera and screen, but horrible fingerprint sensor placement on S8
G6 vs V30: $300-400 price difference - lose out on storage, worse battery, screen, quadDAC audio
G6 vs. OnePlus 5: price about same - this one was close but i prefer the G6 design/screen and wireless charging

i already have an iphone 8 for work so no need to compare. so in a nutshell, the value of the G6 did it for me (and i just prefer over the OnePlus 5 but that is a great phone too).

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 am

I picked up a Pixel 2 on Thursday, replacing my Droid Turbo due to issues with GPS performance and general aging of the phone. I went with the smaller one since I often carry my phone in my front pockets. While I like the idea of getting timely updates, my two biggest factors were a good camera and decent battery life. After using it for about 4 days now, I can say that the camera is definitely as good as the reviews state. Even under the worst lighting conditions(Indoor concert), the pictures were still fairly good, and under normal conditions, they are excellent. As for battery life, while the battery is much smaller than the Turbo's massive battery, it can still easily last two days under my typical usage. As for the phone itself, it is very fast, responsive, and looks good to me. I think it will work out quite well.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

Seasonal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

One advantage over every other Android phone that I know of is Google will provide three full years of OS and security updates. Typically, other Android phones only guarantee a year or two of updates and are slow to put them out.
You got the smaller one?

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am

FreemanB wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 am
I picked up a Pixel 2 on Thursday, replacing my Droid Turbo due to issues with GPS performance and general aging of the phone. I went with the smaller one since I often carry my phone in my front pockets.
Just wondering if you'll use the Pixel 2 for GPS in the car, and if so, if you think the screen is big enough for that use?

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am
Just wondering if you'll use the Pixel 2 for GPS in the car, and if so, if you think the screen is big enough for that use?
Both of my vehicles have built-in navigation systems, so I only occasionally use my phone for navigation.(Usually if I want to tell it to navigate somewhere after I've already started driving) I did use it once this past weekend with the new Pixel though, and I didn't have any issues with it, nor did I have any issues using my previous phone with roughly the same size screen. I generally rely on the voice more than the screen in those instances though, so I'm not sure how helpful my opinion is. I don't think it will be that different from any other phones, since the location of the phone in relation to you will probably have a bigger impact than the actual screen size in that situation.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm

At the moment, not me.

I too am a proud owner of a Nexus 5x. A little over a month ago it died on me with little warning -- the dreaded bootloop failure. I contacted LG who emailed me a pre-paid postage form, and submitted it as a warranty return the same day. I had bought this phone in February 2016, so it was about 18 months old.

Going online and reading the accounts of others with the same problem, I expected to receive some sort of rebate or compensation check. Since one's phone can be an integral part of life and business, I did a bit of research, and went to the local Verizon store and got a LG G6. If you study the specs, it compares very favorably to the Pixel (not Pixel 2); the camera may not be quite as good, but then again, the price was not as high. Also the G6 is waterproof (as is the Pixel 2), and you can add a sim card. My only regret was that I should have bought an unlocked phone online; the prices were identical on Amazon and B&H, and Verizon phones are loaded with bloatware. Also Verizon charges an "upgrade fee"; I found this strange given I was buying a phone from them, using their plan, and everything they were loading the phone with -- but that's a different topic altogether.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email from LG that they replaced the motherboard (or mainboard, for phones) and were mailing it back to me. I received the phone exactly 10 days after I mailed it, well within the window for returning the G6. It seems a bit faster now, with longer battery life, so fingers crossed going forward.

Now I'm left wondering, when it gives up the ghost again, what's the best 5x replacement? I'd take another look at the G6, and my hope is the original Pixel will see some drop to a more comparable price.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am
Seasonal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

You got the smaller one?
Yes. I had a Nexus 6P and it just felt too large. Before that I had a Nexus 5 and preferred the way it felt in hand.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Looks like there are some reports of possible screen burn-in on Pixel 2 XL devices after just a week of use.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/165 ... en-burn-in

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 pm

ILnative wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm
For those with a Nexus 5x - please be prepared for this phone to die/bootloop on you. Mine worked great and then with no warning froze up and I was in the dreaded bootloop. This is 17 months in to having this phone (purchased in May 2016). Looking at the various chat rooms/reviews - this is happening to many, many phones - most between the 12-18 month time period after purchase. Google will not help you at this point. I sent mine to LG as it was in pristine condition (protected with cover, never dropped, never wet) and they said they would fix it if it is a manufacturing defect (which this is - I think there is even a class action lawsuit about it). Some have had luck with this route (LG) and it only cost me $5 to send the phone in.

You should have a back up plan- especially if you are travelling. I now am the proud owner of a Kroger purchased AT&T prepaid Samsung and am paying for one month of prepaid (and Project FI - at least it is cheap) while I wait to see if LG will fix my phone. Didn't take me long to set up and get my calls/texts forwarded to the prepaid - but I was without any service for a while before I figured out what I wanted to do.

I'm hoping they fix the Nexus so I can have some runway to figure out what I want to do and/or for Project FI to have some more phones be compatible. After this experience - I'm not really trusting the Google branded/produced phones. If push comes to shove and i have to get something else right now- I'll probably go with the Motorola that is compatible.
You might want to look into 'pausing' Fi service. I think it's and option, but not certain if it would help you.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm
Looks like there are some reports of possible screen burn-in on Pixel 2 XL devices after just a week of use.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/165 ... en-burn-in
I wasn't even aware of the existence of screen burn-in on phones until the recent round of articles. I checked my Pixel XL, which is about 6 weeks old, and it already has burn-in. I'd never notice it unless I was looking for it. This seems like a non-issue to me.

My Pixel 2 XL arrives tomorrow. The reported issues have not bothered me, but I will probably only keep it if a working root solution is developed within the window for returns.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I have the Pixel 2 XL. Best phone I have ever had. Fastest phone I have ever had. My last phone was a Galaxy S6 so it was a couple of years old. The best part of the phone for me is to wake it up via voice and text via voice while driving. It also reads my messages to me for a true hands-off experience. I am still on AT&T but will move to Fi in the next week. That should save me $20+/month on service. Over a 2 year period of time that will basically pay for the phone.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Based on all that's coming out, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger right away. I'd consider getting the first generation pixel/pixel XL but they're too pricey for a year old phone and out of so many configurations/color combos anyway. They don't even have the original pixel at all. I even asked google this morning if they're getting more in and they told me to check 3rd party sites. I asked if they'll be manufacturing more and they gave me a vague answer.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:22 pm

darrvao777 wrote:
harrychan wrote:

You can disable it easily.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/commen ... onal_info/
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Aside from questionable quality issues, why would anyone buy a phone from what is essentially an advertisement company. You are the product.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 pm

I'll get a Pixel 2 XL at some point probably after Christmas.

I have a Nexus 6P and it's has Android 8.0 but it's starting to slow down.

For me the draw is the camera. the 6P has a nice camera but I look back at my pictures and the newer they are the better they look. I have young kids and I'd prefer to continue to get better and more pictures of them.

Also I really want to try out daydream view.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm
Until that 5X locks up, you mean.
That's a valid concern. From what I've gathered the defect tends to appear early in the handset's life. My 5X is now 8 months old and going strong. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, I've heard that they have replaced some defective ones even if out of warranty.
Mine survived 1.5 years before I had any issues. I had one since the original pre-orders and started using it on launch day.

From everything I see the original poster should seriously consider the Essential Phone PH1
It has dropped $200 since it's launch only a few months ago, and is a relative bargain for the build quality vs. price in the realm of high end phones.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm

N1CKV wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:30 pm
From everything I see the original poster should seriously consider the Essential Phone PH1
It has dropped $200 since it's launch only a few months ago, and is a relative bargain for the build quality vs. price in the realm of high end phones.
Essential has had a lot of problems since launching (including exposing customer info). I tried to find info about how well this phone works on Verizon and if people are experiencing any problems/limitations specifically using it on Verizon, but I pretty much came up empty. I would say though, the price it dropped to probably should have been the original price.

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm

personally i think you should hold out for the OnePlus 5T:
http://phandroid.com/2017/10/24/oneplus-5t-specs/

should be available end of November for $549 unlocked.
edit: apparently available for preorder now:
https://www.oppomart.com/oneplus/op5t/oneplus-5t.html

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm

clutchied wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 pm
For me the draw is the camera. the 6P has a nice camera but I look back at my pictures and the newer they are the better they look. I have young kids and I'd prefer to continue to get better and more pictures of them.
I've only had the Pixel 2 for about 6 days now, and I have to say, I think the camera is amazing so far. I took some pictures of my daughter while on a bike ride through some wooded paths last weekend, and they turned out absolutely amazing with virtually no effort on my part. The level of detail and overall quality rivaled anything I've been able to take with my DSLR. I'm not a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so I need all the help I can get.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 pm

FreemanB wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm
clutchied wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 pm
I've only had the Pixel 2 for about 6 days now, and I have to say, I think the camera is amazing so far. I took some pictures of my daughter while on a bike ride through some wooded paths last weekend, and they turned out absolutely amazing with virtually no effort on my part. The level of detail and overall quality rivaled anything I've been able to take with my DSLR. I'm not a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so I need all the help I can get.
great to hear! thanks :)

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm
I wasn't even aware of the existence of screen burn-in on phones until the recent round of articles. I checked my Pixel XL, which is about 6 weeks old, and it already has burn-in. I'd never notice it unless I was looking for it. This seems like a non-issue to me.

My Pixel 2 XL arrives tomorrow. The reported issues have not bothered me, but I will probably only keep it if a working root solution is developed within the window for returns.
I received my phone but will be returning it. Touches on the edge of the screen do not register properly. It seems to be a problem in the software, which presumably attempts to filter out false touches. The only problem is it filters out far too many of my intended actions.

I also underestimated how frustrating it would be for me not to have root. I probably won't be buying another phone at launch in the future unless root is available out of the box. AdAway and especially Titanium Backup are too useful.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:30 am

FreemanB wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm
I've only had the Pixel 2 for about 6 days now, and I have to say, I think the camera is amazing so far.
How are other aspects of the phone so far? Overall happy?

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:29 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:30 am
How are other aspects of the phone so far? Overall happy?
Very happy overall. Although I am definitely a techie, I'm not a power user by any means. My primary phone activities include surfing the web, reading email, listening to music, occasional navigation, tracking my running, and just generally catching up on various things. The screen looks excellent to me, and I've spent a fair amount of time using it.(Killing time during my daughter's various evening classes) The battery life has been excellent(A week after I got the phone, I realized that I hadn't even gotten a car charger for it yet), with a full charge usually lasting 2-3 days of moderate usage. I'll recharge when I get down in the 20-30% range, so I could probably push it another 12+ hours if I were so inclined. All of the apps I've used work quickly and smoothly, without a hint of lag in anything I've seen.

I'm trying to get more use out of Google Assistant, but that's mostly a matter of retraining myself to pay attention to it and use voice commands by default. This morning, Google Assistant warned me before leaving home of an accident on my normal route, so I used Google Maps to detour around it. About halfway through the detour, it re-routed me back to my regular route after the accident had cleared up, but it still cut about ten minutes from what my travel time would have been.

After almost two weeks of normal usage, I haven't had a single problem that I can think of, and I'm still learning how to do things that just weren't possible with my previous phone. My favorite new capability is using split screen on apps to easily copy stuff from an email or text to a web page or vice versa. And I've taken many more pictures by now, and I'm still impressed by the camera.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm

This is somewhat secondhand, from using a friend's phone for a while and getting his take but: It's just a really nice phone. Great design. Non-XL version is the perfect size IMO--right size screen, limited bezel. I personally think the rear fingerprint scanner is a pretty intuitive design. The display is gorgeous (tested it out with some 4k videos on youtube and...wow). The camera is fantastic.

My wife just bought a Motorola G5 Plus (not the S with the slightly larger screen), for $300 (for the 4gb RAM version). It's super fast--no lag, great response time. Generally not noticeably slower than the Pixel, though I'm sure it is much slower in certain circumstances. The screen is Full HD but not OLED. It's gorgeous, but not quite as jaw-dropping like the Pixel. From doing a lot of research in looking for a new phone, it seems like the biggest differences in the price points are the OLED screen and the difference between a really solid camera and an impressive near-DSLR-quality camera like the Pixel or an iPhone.

Overall, the price point on that Pixel is totally justified. But you can also get a phone that does most things almost as well, and a few things definitely not as well, for under half the price. Sort of like buying a BMW, it's one of those luxuries that some people really appreciate--that every time you fire it up it brings a smile to your face. Or it could just fade into the background of hedonic adaptation and it becomes another appliance that you paid too much money for.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 pm

FreemanB wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:29 am
Very happy overall. Although I am definitely a techie, I'm not a power user by any means. My primary phone activities include surfing the web, reading email, listening to music, occasional navigation, tracking my running, and just generally catching up on various things.
Thank you for the update, I appreciate it. What network are you using it on? Did you get the carrier version (Verizon) or unlocked?

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:50 pm

ryuns wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm
My wife just bought a Motorola G5 Plus (not the S with the slightly larger screen), for $300 (for the 4gb RAM version). It's super fast--no lag, great response time.
What network is she using it on?

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:00 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 pm
Thank you for the update, I appreciate it. What network are you using it on? Did you get the carrier version (Verizon) or unlocked?
I'm using it on Verizon, and I got it from them directly, so it should be the locked version. I've been on Verizon 10+ years now with no plans to change, so it wasn't a concern for me.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm

FreemanB wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:00 pm
I'm using it on Verizon, and I got it from them directly, so it should be the locked version. I've been on Verizon 10+ years now with no plans to change, so it wasn't a concern for me.
Oh perfect, then you can answer a question for me (I'm on verizon too). Does the Verizon version come with any bloatware/pre-installed Verizon apps? Fear of that was one of the reasons that if I were to get this phone, I was considering getting it unlocked from google and just putting in my current sim. And I can't remember, did the phone you came from have a bigger or equivalent screen to the Pixel 2?

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:50 pm
ryuns wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm
My wife just bought a Motorola G5 Plus (not the S with the slightly larger screen), for $300 (for the 4gb RAM version). It's super fast--no lag, great response time.
What network is she using it on?
T-Mobile, which probably doesn't help you, since you're on Verizon. We just bought the unlocked ad-free version via Amazon, so it's mostly bloatware free, excluding a few Motorola items, which are mostly helpful.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton