Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Post by DiggleRex »

I currently have a 2-year-old Motorola w/a 5.7” screen. I looked at the Pixel 2/2XL in person as well as the old pixels. I’m a bit torn. IMO, all of them are overpriced, but that aside, I ideally don’t want to use a smaller screen, especially since I use my phone as my GPS. I cannot use my current phone (let alone a bigger one) one-handed, and the increasing sizes are almost making them too big for pockets (especially when you add a case). The Pixel 2 XL is pretty gigantic, and the Pixel 2 has an incredibly dated look to it. I would consider getting one of the older ones but they’re still very expensive. For example, the Pixel 2 XL is $840 with 64GB and the original Pixel XL is $769 with 128GB is. I found the LG V30 to be a great size, but the construction did not feel high quality to me. After using 5.7” for two years, I’m not sure I could go down to 5", and the 6” one is a bit of a beast (although there isn’t a huge size difference between the original 5.5” pixel XL vs the 6” pixel 2 XL).
WhiteMaxima

Re: Anyone planning on getting the new Pixel phone?

Post by WhiteMaxima »

No. I would get either iPhone or Samsung. Stay with the big name.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

How about a new Moto G5S Plus? 5.5 inch screen, $349 with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I would love to, but I am not spending $650 or $850 on a phone. I've had a couple of Google phones and liked them. My limit on a phone now is around $300-$400 and have found they are completely capable of doing just about everything an $800 phone can do.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

Fclevz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 am How about a new Moto G5S Plus? 5.5 inch screen, $349 with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage.
I did look at this one online, definitely a good buy for sure. But I find that unlocked Motorola phones are very slow to get updates. I'm still on android 6.0 and my last security patch was a year ago. I wonder how noticeable the slower processor is on this phone compared to the flagships.

Edit* One of the reasons I'm leaning toward Google phone is because they'll always be the first to get updated.
Last edited by DiggleRex on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Afty

Post by Afty »

The Pixel 2 XL isn't that gigantic. The screen is large at 6.0 inches, but the bezels are small so that the overall size is about the same as a typical 5.5-5.7" phones. If you check the dimensions I bet it's the same size as your current 5.7" phone.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

Afty wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am The Pixel 2 XL isn't that gigantic. The screen is large at 6.0 inches, but the bezels are small so that the overall size is about the same as a typical 5.5-5.7" phones. If you check the dimensions I bet it's the same size as your current 5.7" phone.
Yeah I put my current phone (without a case) next to the Pixel 2 XL. Definite difference. My current phone with its case is about the same size as the pixel 2 XL. But I always use a case so I'm fracturing that in as well. Wouldn't want to break such an expensive phone if I were going to get it.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I typically buy one generation prior. Bugs are worked out and price is better. How was the old Pixel?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 am I typically buy one generation prior. Bugs are worked out and price is better. How was the old Pixel?
I never had the old one but it got consistently solid reviews. I was considering doing that based on your same logic, but they really aren't (yet) bringing down the price of the old one yet. I'm afraid 32GB with no SD card slot would be too small, and the 128G one is still pretty expensive. I would think they'd want to unload their old stock, but what do I know.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

32 is pretty small. One of the reasons I switched from Samsung to LG was the SD slot; that and the removable battery.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

I've pre-ordered and am trading in my Nexus 6P as part of it. The 2XL is very close in size to the 6P so I know it will be comfortable.
The waterproofing (submersion to one meter) and camera quality were the big draws for me. There are reviews coming through from tech sites. You may want to read a few of them.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Fclevz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 am How about a new Moto G5S Plus? 5.5 inch screen, $349 with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage.
I lucked out and got one of the 4/64GB versions on sale at Newegg for $299. A killer deal! :moneybag
DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am I did look at this one online, definitely a good buy for sure. But I find that unlocked Motorola phones are very slow to get updates. I'm still on android 6.0 and my last security patch was a year ago. I wonder how noticeable the slower processor is on this phone compared to the flagships.

Edit* One of the reasons I'm leaning toward Google phone is because they'll always be the first to get updated.
Phone comes with Nougat/Android 7.1. Moto says it will get Oreo/Android 8.0 update 'this fall'.
As for speed, I'm currently in split-screen mode with video playing on one side and web browser with 51 tabs open on the other. Still smooth as glass. Although, I credit that more to the 4GB of RAM rather than the processor.
One drawback, no NFC chip, so no Android Pay.
But as someone said, smartphones are kind of like cars. What one person likes, another may not, so I guess you just have to pick them up and play with them to know for sure, assuming you can find them in a retail store somewhere.

Random thought bubble: If Google wanted to be in the phone business, why did they sell Motorola?
Last edited by CyberBob on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I am planning on getting the Pixel 2 XL.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm I am planning on getting the Pixel 2 XL.
what are you coming from?
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

CyberBob wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:24 pm I lucked out and got one of the 4/64GB versions on sale at Newegg for $299. A killer deal! :moneybag
The phone is definitely a great deal. I wouldn't rule it out per se....But I've had 2 motorolas in a row now, and I find their cameras are very average compared to the rest of the field. Plus the slow updates. Like the all metal build though compared to glass.
simple man

Post by simple man »

No. I am trying to distance myself from Google and their silly intrusive evil spying practices. I think using THEIR actual hardware would be the coup de grace. Might as well bank with them, give them all my tax returns and run a broadcasting camera from my bedroom!!! :oops:
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

simple man wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 pm No. I am trying to distance myself from Google and their silly intrusive evil spying practices. I think using THEIR actual hardware would be the coup de grace. Might as well bank with them, give them all my tax returns and run a broadcasting camera from my bedroom!!! :oops:
If you use any other Android phone I doubt Google will get any less information on you.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

My Nexus 5x is good enough, no need to pay for a Pixel.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 pm
mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm I am planning on getting the Pixel 2 XL.
I have the Pixel XL. It's the best phone I have ever had.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm I have the Pixel XL. It's the best phone I have ever had.
Oh that's good to hear. Anything in particular you like about it?
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 pm
mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm I have the Pixel XL. It's the best phone I have ever had.
I like that it uses "pure" Android, meaning that it gets the latest Android version and the latest updates directly from Google as they are available without waiting for the carrier to make it available. In my previous experience using Samsung phones with ATT, it would take 6-8 months from the time a new Android version was released by Google until it was made available on my phone by ATT, and updates were also delayed. I also like that I do not have to deal with all of the bloatware that comes with other phones. I also like that it has 24/7 live support built into the phone, I don't think any phone other than Pixel offers that.

I also like the phone itself, it has a great screen and a great camera and it just works, and it is very well integrated into the Google ecosystem.
Last edited by mptfan on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Not me. I have no interest in spending big bucks to get the newest phone of any kind. I would much rather wait a few years to wait for the prices to drop to levels that are more to my liking.
petiejoe

Post by petiejoe »

mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm
DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 pm
I like that it uses "pure" Android, meaning that it gets the latest Android version and the latest updates directly from Google as they are available without waiting for the carrier to make it available. In my previous experience using Samsung phones with ATT, it would take 6-8 months from the time a new Android version was released by Google until it was made available on my phone by ATT, and updates were also delayed. I also like that I do not have to deal with all of the bloatware that comes with other phones. I also like that it has 24/7 live support built into the phone, I don't think any phone other than Pixel offers that.

I also like the phone itself, it has a great screen and a great camera and it just works, and it is very well integrated into the Google ecosystem.
These are all reasons why I loved my nexus and I'm very sad that Google discontinued that line. The Pixel looks like a great phone, but I have a hard time paying that kind of money for a phone. I wish they would come back with a bare-bones android phone.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

I lucked out and got a new first gen Pixel XL sent to me for free as a replacement for my Nexus 6P that was having battery issues. Apparently there was only about a 48 hour period in which this was happening and I caught it at the right time.

Killer phone. I would have opted for the new, smaller Pixel, but you can't beat free. Google's (and Project FI's) customer service is the best!
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

JimmyD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 pm Killer phone. I would have opted for the new, smaller Pixel, but you can't beat free. Google's (and Project FI's) customer service is the best!
Just curious, for what reason(s) would you downsize in terms of the screen size?
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:40 pm
JimmyD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 pm Killer phone. I would have opted for the new, smaller Pixel, but you can't beat free. Google's (and Project FI's) customer service is the best!
Just curious, for what reason(s) would you downsize in terms of the screen size?
Phones with smaller screen sizes are easier to keep in your pocket/purse and they also tend to consume power at a slower rate then phones with larger screens.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I have a Pixel XL on Project Fi and am trading it in for a Pixel 2 XL in a few weeks. Used the Pixel XL as a GPS on a multi-state motorcycle camping trip a few weeks ago, and it was a reliable companion. The camera is also excellent and is substantially improved in the 2 XL. Interface is clean. I previously came from many years of iPhone use and was unhappy about Apple's dumbing down and walling in of the user experience. YMMV.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:40 pm
A few reasons:

1 - Less expensive
2 - I have small hands and it would be easier to use one-handed
3 - I'm a cyclist and every gram counts! Obviously lighter weight
4 - The new ones are water resistant - nice in case I get caught in a storm without a ziploc bag - it happens!
5 - I severely broke my hand and wrist a few months ago and am dealing with some gnarly pain. Smaller phone would ease that a bit
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

I just read this article pointing out problems with the google pixel 2 xl's screen: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... led-screen

This is not the first I've read of this. And I've seen the same complaints about the LG V30--LG being the maker of the larger pixel's screen.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

My Nexus 5x is good enough, no need to pay for a Pixel.
+1
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

petiejoe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:32 pm
mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm

These are all reasons why I loved my nexus and I'm very sad that Google discontinued that line. The Pixel looks like a great phone, but I have a hard time paying that kind of money for a phone. I wish they would come back with a bare-bones android phone.

Check out the forthcoming "Android One" variant of the Moto X4:
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/mo ... ndroid-one
Pure Android, monthly updates, NFC, works with Google Fi, $400.
It's not clear whether it will be available independently of Google Fi.
Ged

Post by Ged »

MathWizard wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 pm My Nexus 5x is good enough, no need to pay for a Pixel.
That's my conclusion. Still getting updates for my 5x, so I'll be waiting this cycle out. Pixel 3 or bust!
G12

Post by G12 »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am I currently have a 2-year-old Motorola w/a 5.7” screen. I looked at the Pixel 2/2XL in person as well as the old pixels. I’m a bit torn. IMO, all of them are overpriced, but that aside, I ideally don’t want to use a smaller screen, especially since I use my phone as my GPS. I cannot use my current phone (let alone a bigger one) one-handed, and the increasing sizes are almost making them too big for pockets (especially when you add a case). The Pixel 2 XL is pretty gigantic, and the Pixel 2 has an incredibly dated look to it. I would consider getting one of the older ones but they’re still very expensive. For example, the Pixel 2 XL is $840 with 64GB and the original Pixel XL is $769 with 128GB is. I found the LG V30 to be a great size, but the construction did not feel high quality to me. After using 5.7” for two years, I’m not sure I could go down to 5", and the 6” one is a bit of a beast (although there isn’t a huge size difference between the original 5.5” pixel XL vs the 6” pixel 2 XL).
I bought a Galaxy S8 with 64GB and 5.8" screen new a few months ago for $420 at Best Buy. The new Pixels had not been released and after reading about the gen 1's I decided to stay with Samsung. The carriers wanted $765 for the S8 at the time. It is a little longer than my old S5, but more narrow and with a sturdy case it slips easily into my pockets. I have fairly large hands and it took me quite a while to grow accustomed to the narrower profile one handed.

ETA: I also have a 64GB expansion card in the phone for photos, video, and music files, so 128GB total which is plenty.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

G12 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:56 pm I bought a Galaxy S8 with 64GB and 5.8" screen new a few months ago for $420 at Best Buy.
How did you get it so cheap? You don't mind the placement of the fingerprint sensor?
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

I'm on Project Fi and needed a new phone but not willing to pay 600-800 for a Pixel. I decided to get the new Moto 4x from Fi, I just received notice that it shipped today. I really don't need much when it comes to a phone and really like Project Fi. I've heard most people really like the Pixel phones though.
"Gonna Make It"
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:40 pm Just curious, for what reason(s) would you downsize in terms of the screen size?
I have last year’s Pixel and love it and its size. Fits into my pant pockets and feels great in my hand. When I am at home, I have an iPad with a 9.7” screen.

I won’t get this year’s Pixel. There is nothing wrong with my current device. It’s updating itself to Oreo as I write this...
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am ... and the Pixel 2 has an incredibly dated look to it.
So do I :shock:
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm
DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 pm
I have the Pixel XL. It's the best phone I have ever had.
My wife has a Pixel XL, and she said the exact same thing. Very fast and responsive, never has random force-closes, good camera. She got it when her previous phone failed - it was a Motorola Turbo 2, which I think came out back when Google owned Motorola. She loved that phone too - it just worked without bugs.

I am considering trading up to the Pixel 2 XL when it comes out AND when my current phone fails. I like the idea of more frequent updates, and I also believe that having a phone and software made by the same company (or in this case, by a different company with lots of Google help) makes for a better experience overall. (And no, I've never considered getting an iPhone - just used to the Android ecosystem I guess!)
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 pm
I have last year’s Pixel and love it and its size. Fits into my pant pockets and feels great in my hand. When I am at home, I have an iPad with a 9.7” screen.

I won’t get this year’s Pixel. There is nothing wrong with my current device. It’s updating itself to Oreo as I write this...
You have the smaller one?
FrugalConsultant

Post by FrugalConsultant »

Ordered a Pixel 2 XL to replace my 4 year old Nexus 5. I don't like the high price, the Nexus line was a super bargain, however I've been spoiled by the regular software updates and no vendor installed bloatware.

This is also my first big splurge since I hit my number! I'm now trying to loosen the purse strings a little.
CULater

Post by CULater »

I got the Pixel Gen 1 recently when they were on sale; actually I think you can get one now from the Google store for that same price of $549. $100 cheaper than the Pixel 2. I had a problem with it: it reset itself and wiped everything out. Google support said it was a known problem with an indeterminate fix. Fortunately, I had a backup which enabled me to get everything back but it took a little time. I was so ticked that I was going to return it, but they said they'd send a new one out for swap so I did that. Especially because they said I had a year to return that one for exchange if I had trouble. I figured that meant I might get a Pixel 2 for exchange, but I guess they have to run out of the Gen 1 before that can happen. Have no idea if the Pixel 2 is susceptible to the same problem. Probably should have just returned the Pixel and gotten an iPhone instead, but I'm too familiar with Android and too lazy to change. Didn't want a Sammy either, since I don't like phones that ignite spontaneously.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Just a note that Pixels are in high demand, so it's easy to sell your previous generation to upgrade to a new one. If you don't want that hassle, Google (via Project Fi) offers its own trade-in deal, currently up to $410 for a Pixel XL 128Gb Gen 1 model. This is not a giveaway, but certainly offsets the upgrade cost. At this time you also get a free Google Home mini with purchase. (Last year, with Gen 1 you got a free daydream headset, which was kinda fun.) Project Fi support is superb.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

That's probably what I would do. You would not be locked into a plan that way.

Or if you have a Comcast/Xfinity account and don't use much data, buy a phone of your choice from Xfinity Mobile and go on their $12/Gb plan.

Expandable storage is a big deal for me.
denovo

Post by denovo »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am No. I would get either iPhone or Samsung. Stay with the big name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2

HTC makes the Pixel, LG the Pixel XL. Google has had a good track record of making quality phones when they contract out production, and these phones have no bloatware. What's way more objectionable is the freaking price.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
willie838

Post by willie838 »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am I've pre-ordered and am trading in my Nexus 6P as part of it. The 2XL is very close in size to the 6P so I know it will be comfortable.
The waterproofing (submersion to one meter) and camera quality were the big draws for me. There are reviews coming through from tech sites. You may want to read a few of them.
oh man you may have missed the scam of the year

I saw that google was offering replacement pixel xl for people that bought their 6p from them, due to the repeated boot loop battery issue

i did, never had any extended warranty and only a few time experienced the boot loop.

Anyway, i read through the checklist of what the tech would ask me

contacted customer support

said that i did all the basic attempted repairs for my 6p
provided my imei number to show i bought it from google

even though i was almost 2 years out of warranty they issued me a brand new pixel xl 128g for my nexus 6p 64g

I jumped on it the day i read about it, google closed the loophole i used about 4 hours after i did it.

---------------

\got my pixel xl, wiped by 6p, shipped it back to them- the temporary $1000 hold on my cc for the pixel xl was removed as soon as my phone was received in good working condition.

------------

now, i'm considering trading this pixel xl in (google offering 410, swappa sales are around 500)

and putting that towards a new pixel 2 xl.

there would be approx a 4-600 gap in cost but t-mobile is offering a 325 rebate if you open a line with them (2 months should be enough to get the visa prepaid cc, then cancel and return to project fi for me)

anyway, the pixel xl is really really nice. I didn't realize how shot my 6p was until i got my hands on this phone.

the only drawback on the pixel 2xl is that the screen is made by LG and it's getting pretty much universally tanked.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

There is very little difference between cell phones these days other than hype.

My gf has an iPhone 6s (flagship)

I have three phones- Samsung S7 Edge (flagship) , ZTE Axon 7 (midrange) , and LG XCharge (dirt cheap) that was selling for $1 new unlocked via Xfinity Mobile. It currently costs $99 via Cricket.

The X Charge has a slightly duller screen than the two flagship models (iPhone and Samsung, which are pretty identical in quality). This is a disadvantage in daylight conditions. It is a little slower, but not painfully so, and the camera is a bit inferior, especially in low light conditions.

IMHO the Samsung, Axon 7 and XCharge have a major advantage over the iPhone as they have expandable storage, and use the universal standard micro-USB cables. Others might not care about these things.

The XCharge has the best battery life of the four phones.

The Axon 7 has the best sound quality for playing music, though the differences between the 4 are not very great.

The XCharge has a major advantage over the other phones since if you drop it in the toilet or break it or your battery dies you won't be miserable about having to replace it.

Otherwise, the four phones are nearly identical in form and function. I imagine that is true about most smartphones on the market in 2017.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

willie838 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:26 am the only drawback on the pixel 2xl is that the screen is made by LG and it's getting pretty much universally tanked.
I'm curious to see how this unfolds as more people get their hands on them.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:25 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 pm

You have the smaller one?
Yes, Pixel 1, not Pixel 1 XL.
CULater wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm I got the Pixel Gen 1 recently when they were on sale; actually I think you can get one now from the Google store for that same price of $549. $100 cheaper than the Pixel 2. I had a problem with it: it reset itself and wiped everything out. Google support said it was a known problem with an indeterminate fix.
Known problem that doesn't affect every device out there (I had never even heard of it; have had the Pixel 1 since day one). Hope you get this sorted out; I'd be ticked if my device did it.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

MathWizard wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 pm My Nexus 5x is good enough, no need to pay for a Pixel.
Until that 5X locks up, you mean.
I'm on my third Nexus 5x. The first two died under warranty and got replaced for free. So I'm happy for now.
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Pixel 2 before too long but I'm not sure just when.
I do have a spare smartphone I could use for a while if/when this 5X croaks...
Attempted new signature...
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

Until that 5X locks up, you mean.
That's a valid concern. From what I've gathered the defect tends to appear early in the handset's life. My 5X is now 8 months old and going strong. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, I've heard that they have replaced some defective ones even if out of warranty.