Recommendations on quartz countertops

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Gnirk

Recommendations on quartz countertops

Post by Gnirk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 am

I'm thinking of replacing my granite tile kitchen counters with quartz. I've researched various brands, such as Silestone, Cambria, Zodiaq but I haven't been able to find anything comparing the quality of the products. I know Lowe's has a house brand from Sage Industries.
Any insight or recommendations?
Thanks!

littlebird

Re: Recommendations on quartz countertops

Post by littlebird » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 am

I have Viaterra brand and have no problems or complaints, except that it hides dirt so effectively that counters appear clean when they are demonstrably sticky to the touch. The only solution seems to be to sponge down routinely after every food contact. Otherwise they are as maintenance-free as Formica, which is my gold standard for countertops. :wink:

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

There are literally hundreds of posts about quartz on the Houzz GardenWeb Kitchen forum. Recommend searching there and asking questions if you like. That forum is the Bogleheads of kitchen remodeling.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 am

We have Caesarstone x 4 years no problem.
Rentals have Ikea vendor quartz tops x 8 years no problem.

No maintenance for either; yes they chip if you drop a cast-iron pot on the corner just right.

Winkdinkerson

Post by Winkdinkerson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Second the recommendation of the www.houzz.com website. Really a wealth of information about home remodeling, countertops, cabinets, sinks, hardware, etc.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Really vet your fabricator and if possible find one that does digital layouts so you can see exactly how the veins will line up after your slab is cut. If your fabricator doesn't do digital layouts and you have any kind of veining insist on seeing how the templates will be laid out on your actual slab(s) before they cut it so there are no surprises after the install.

Spend some time lurking on the gardenweb (houzz) kitchen forums so you can see what kind of problems people have with crappy fabricators these days. From what I've read there if you have any problems with the install from a big box store, good luck.

I see you list your area as "western washington" I had my granite counters fabricated by "Integrity Stonework" in Lynnwood if thats near you. They did a great job. My in laws had floform do their quartz counters through Costco and also had great results.

FraggleRock

quartz countertops are very similar

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm

90% of all engineered quartz is made by processes created by http://www.breton.it .
Samsung is an exception.
So, in theory, a quartz countertop from PentalQuartz (Vietnam) is the same as Caesarstone (Israel) is the same as Hanstone (Korea).
What is different are the colors and patterns from each manufacturer.

The traditional thickness is/was 30mm. But, many european designers are moving to 20mm and even 10mm.

Another surface material to consider is: https://www.dekton.com/usa/ . Stronger, more heat resistant...more money.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm

We've had Zodiac for 10 years now. My primary comment involves the color you select. If you have family members who don't see or care about the crumbs and flakes they leave on the counter, then don't get a light color, since you will see their mess all the time. But if you get a dark color with dark specks in it, then you probably won't be able to see the ants when they are all over the counter. :annoyed Our kitchen looks great when it is all cleaned up, but when it's not.... yuck.

Direct sunlight hits a part of our dark counter for part of each day and some of it "faded". It turns out there are companies who charge a high price to come out to "restore" the color with some "special treatment" solution they won't name. They manually "rub" the counter for an hour or so. The plumber said he could get it for us directly next time, but I still don't have the name. But this only needs to be done every ten years or so.

In our case, we really contacted the repair company about a seam that separated due to floor settling and one part of the countertop was a tad higher than its adjoining piece. It looked like if you slid something across the counter, you easily chip the raised edge, so I had to find someone to fix that. (They pour something into the crack that expands and lifts up the lower edge.) So while I had the company out to fix the sunken part of the countertop, I also let them fix the fading, since they were already charging for the house call. They did a good job, but I was/am a bit ticked that they wouldn't tell me the name of their "secret" cleaner. I don't think it is sold directly to the public, but professionals in construction appear to be able to buy it.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:41 pm

OP here-
Thank you for all your insight and information, and the links to the Houzz sites. lots of information there, too. It appears that inspecting the actual slabs before fabrication is really important, especially if you've used small samples to make your choice of color/design.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm

I have Cambria. After 5 + years, I stll love it.

He company who installed it used digital photography to do the measurements.