Why so many "reversed" pictures?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
samtex

Why so many "reversed" pictures?

Post by samtex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:06 am

This has been bugging me for a long time. It is fairly common to see photographs "reversed" both on Internet news stories as well as in ads. Today I even received a brochure in the mail promoting an upcoming vote on an amendment next month. The picture had a generic looking home with a sign with the logo of the pro faction that was promoting the vote. But when you looked closer, the house number was backwards and the logo on the house, was clearly reversed from the one on the brochure.

I know it's common to see revered imaged when taking selfies in mirrors or using the front or back cameras in cell phones but the pictures I'm talking about were reversed on purpose. Is it just because some editor thought that it would look better if the viewing angle was reversed. thinking people wouldn't notice the backward letters etc? Or is it something subliminal going on? I know that in some movie chase scenes they have thrown in a very quick shot where the cars (and the oncoming cars) are actually driving on the wrong side of the road, then in the longer scenes they are again on the correct side. It was supposedly to add more tension in the audiences.

Samtex

edit: added missing word
Last edited by samtex on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Re: Why so many "reversed" pictures?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:16 am

samtex wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:06 am
This has been bugging me for a long time. It is fairly common to see photographs "reversed" both on Internet news stories as well as in ads. Today I even received a brochure in the mail promoting an upcoming vote on an amendment next month. The picture had a generic looking home with a sign with the logo of the pro faction that was promoting the vote. But when you looked closer, the house number was backwards and the logo on the house, was clearly reversed from the one on the brochure.

I know it's common to see revered imaged when taking selfies in mirrors or using the front or back cameras in cell phones but the pictures I'm talking about were reversed on purpose. Is it just because some editor that it would look better if the viewing angle was reversed. thinking people wouldn't notice the backward letters etc? Or is it something subliminal going on? I know that in some movie chase scenes they have thrown in a very quick shot where the cars (and the oncoming cars) are actually driving on the wrong side of the road, then in the longer scenes they are again on the correct side. It was supposedly to add more tension in the audiences.

Samtex
In the world of commercial digital stock photography and photography in general it's cheaper to use software and "fidget" with the picture or slice and dice, than it is to reshoot the picture on location. Standards in general are lower with everyone, from Realtors to salesman to bloggers with a cell phone in their pocket.
However, consider the standards of National Geographic, etc. . . . only the best.

pilot_error

Post by pilot_error » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:43 am

I also think it has something to do with the culture of selfies. Some smartphones want to mimic a mirror when used in this manner and as such letters are reversed. My iPhone displays the picture reversed but saves it "normal" when it is taken... not that I take a lot of selfies

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 am

It does seem to me that more and more "news" stories, even from legitimate real-news sources, especially on the Internet, are illustrating stories with rather generic stock photos or "file photos." I guess, in the minds of... someone, it is absolutely necessary for every story to have a picture to illustrate what the story is about, and unacceptable to have nothing but text. So I would first point the finger at "inappropriately generic illustrations" (rather than "actual images taken recently of the events or topics described in the story.")

I'm too lazy to find actual examples, but you know the sort of thing I mean: story about an airline accident illustrated by a years-old file photo of a plane of the same model as the one that crashed. Story of lobster fishermen troubled by some change in regulations illustrated by a picture of a lobster.

In any kind of "layout" it is pretty often the case that it would look better if some of the images were reversed, so art directors reverse them.

It is totally stupid and careless if the result is that the reversed image includes reversed text as a result, although the number of people literal-minded enough and attentive enough to details to care about it is probably not that great. (When I was a kid, before "platters" were invented, movie houses had two projectors, and at the end of every reel the picture on the screen had little symbols that would flash in the corner to alert the projectionist to change over to the other projector. For years and years and years I kept asking grownups what they were, and never got an answer because they had never noticed them and didn't know what I was talking about).

Of course, there are situations where reversed text is legitimate, as when the subject is inside a storefront and the camera is viewing the store window from inside.

Anyway, I think the answer to your question is carelessness, and an increasing cheesy, cheapjack use of stock photos.

P.S. I wonder how many members of the general public believe that bitcoins are physical coins, due to the constant use of illustrations like this one?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 am

I have noticed that as well.

My guess is that there are several reasons. One might be that the pictures look better reversed (as long as you don't see obvious reversals).

I believe there are even some movie scenes filmed in reverse. I can't recall which one, but there was one of the Babe Ruth movies filmed that way. To show Babe Ruth correctly batting left handed, and the actor batted right handed, they reversed the baseball field and the uniforms and signs and filmed it that way.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 am

My guess is that with the logo added to the picture, they had to reverse the picture of the house to get the balance of the picture right so that the logo stands out. Had someone paid more attention, they might have just photo-shopped out the house number.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:07 am

One way to get around automatic copyright infringement checking is to swap the pictures. I think that idea probably worked for a while until the software caught up with that trick.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 am

Huh!! I've never seen those reversed photos. Never claimed to have good observation powers :oops:

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am

an_asker wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 am
Huh!! I've never seen those reversed photos. Never claimed to have good observation powers :oops:
Some (perhaps most) people do not have symmetric faces, so if you look at a face photo (perhaps yourself) reversed - it may not look fully like you.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am
an_asker wrote:
Some (perhaps most) people do not have symmetric faces, so if you look at a face photo (perhaps yourself) reversed - it may not look fully like you.
That is difficult for me to observe. I was referring to photos that had text reversed - I don't recall even having come across those.

That said, I did notice that selfies flipped the image before the rest of my family (or at least DW) did. So I do actually observe stuff ... sometimes!

PS: To be honest, that is how I figured out that the selfies flipped - by observing the parting of hair!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 am

an_asker wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 am
dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am
an_asker wrote:
That is difficult for me to observe. I was referring to photos that had text reversed - I don't recall even having come across those.
That said, I did notice that selfies flipped the image before the rest of my family (or at least DW) did. So I do actually observe stuff ... sometimes!
PS: To be honest, that is how I figured out that the selfies flipped - by observing the parting of hair!
I have seen some of these internet "teasers" with articles about significant differences of perceived "attractiveness" of either reversed photos of faces or making left and right identical (both ways).

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:07 am
One way to get around automatic copyright infringement checking is to swap the pictures. I think that idea probably worked for a while until the software caught up with that trick.
Where's your source for that? It sounds completely bogus.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 am
wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:07 am
Where's your source for that? It sounds completely bogus.
Why does it sound bogus? I would not be the least bit surprised if people are doing this either to avoid infringing use being discovered by automated tools, or on the hope that if they're ever challenged, they can argue that they created a lawful derivative work (Although there is already precedence otherwise).

Copyright violations are major issue, and automated image comparison has been around for a while. Google and others let you do reverse image searches manually, which I know for a fact that some independent photographers do this to protect their livelihoods.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 pm

You see that on youtube very often. Many of the Top Gear episodes or extracts get reposed with mirror image or gets constantly changing and distracting border added to the original video. Automated tools must have difficulty in flagging them

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.