urgent battery pack recommendation for mac book pro

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seashell

urgent battery pack recommendation for mac book pro

Post by seashell »

I'll be presenting at a conference next week and will be taking a cross-country flight. I'll need to use my laptop on the flight, but I'm having technical problems with my computer. My battery is old and no longer holds much charge. I went to the local Apple Store to have them replace the battery, but they said they would not be able to fix it in time for the conference. They weren't able to recommend a backup battery pack as they said it was not an apple product.

I'm looking for some kind of backup battery pack that I can use to power my laptop during the flight. Can anyone recommend something like this, or a place to buy one?

I have a 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro. Ideally it would be for 6 hours or so of power but anything is preferable to nothing. I'm under a bit of time crunch so I will be really grateful for any suggestions on what to buy and where to buy it--hopefully a store I can just drive to if possible given the time crunch, but I'll take any suggestions. Thanks!
noco-hawkeye

Re: urgent battery pack recommendation for mac book pro

Post by noco-hawkeye »

You might want to check your flight - many now have regular power outlets that might do what you need.

Is there a 3rd party apple store around? (A store that focuses on Apple products, but not owned by Apple) They might be a bit more accommodating.

I think your battery idea is going to be a hassle, even if the airlines let you check in with a large enough battery to power a pc for several hours.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

You could replace the battery yourself with an Anker. It's not as good as a real Apple battery, but it's pretty good. If you're in a rush you can buy it on amazon and have it overnighted to you.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

climber2020 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 pm You could replace the battery yourself with an Anker. It's not as good as a real Apple battery, but it's pretty good. If you're in a rush you can buy it on amazon and have it overnighted to you.
Here's what I purchased for my trip overseas two months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3 ... UTF8&psc=1

- Ron
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ery-packs/
but to power an old laptop you will need something with a 3 prong outlet.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... ly-so-far/

at the end of all of this either fix your computer or buy a new one.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dont have a Mac, but my experience replacing a battery on a laptop was the end of the lifecycle for the laptop, ended up being a waste of $$ and the machine became unreliable.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Hope you are flying first class or are in the exit row, otherwise you might have difficulties opening the 15” laptop when/if the person in front of you reclines their seat :(
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Could overnight a brand new Macbook Pro. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Ron wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm
climber2020 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 pm You could replace the battery yourself with an Anker. It's not as good as a real Apple battery, but it's pretty good. If you're in a rush you can buy it on amazon and have it overnighted to you.
Here's what I purchased for my trip overseas two months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3 ... UTF8&psc=1

- Ron
I meant an actual internal replacement Anker battery to replace the one that sits within the housing of the MacBook. Although those would work too even if a little cumbersome.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

As long as you have a good internal battery there's absolutely no reason to replace it, there would be zero benefit. There are many external battery packs you can get, Anker is a good brand but there are others as well. External battery packs connect to your laptop power port and charge it and are the best way to get extra battery life.

In addition to the Anker another option is: https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-36000mAh- ... B017QUHB44, there are many others.
Topic Author
seashell

Post by seashell »

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all your helpful responses. I'll definitely check them out. Thanks again. You rock!