Is there really a lithium battery in a USB-C-to-micro-USB adapter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Is there really a lithium battery in a USB-C-to-micro-USB adapter?

Post by nisiprius » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:07 pm

So I bought a Samsung Micro USB to USB-C adapter. It came in a box so big I couldn't even think what I'd ordered, and the box had a warning on the side, "CAUTION: Lithium Ion batteries. Do not load or transport package if damaged." Inside was this. The front and back sides of the adapter, a dime to show scale, and the barcode from the retail packaging it was in. The QR code translates to the cryptic string GH98-40218B, the same as the string printed above it, and nothing more.

As you see, the thing is in a tight-fitting plastic sleeve with a warning saying not to throw it in the trash.

Anybody know why? I thought this was a strictly passive device. Does it really have a lithium battery in it, and, if so, why?

If it's not lithium, why would it be any different from any other adapter or USB-C plug (such as the plug on the end of the charging cable that came with my Samsung tablet?)

Just to be clear, it's not a charger, it's not a booster, it's just, well, one of these:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobil ... 930bwegus/

And I've just gotten off a 15-minute call with a Samsung customer service rep who seemed not to understand my question, and finally answered that "all Samsung products are exposed to chemicals during their manufacture that makes it advisable not to throw them in the trash." Hmmm. Maybe everything electronic will have that label on it going forward and they are just ahead of the curve....
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

mxs

Re: Is there really a lithium battery in a USB-C-to-micro-USB adapter?

Post by mxs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I highly doubt it. It most likely is taking one pin out to a different pin out, and nothing more.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm

I think they simply used whichever box that was available to ship your order.

I am 99.99999999999% certain that there is not a battery of any kind inside.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't know the answer, but I happen to have a Samsung micro-USB to USB-A adapter on my desk (from my wife's smartphone box). It has the same logo on it ("embossed" in the white plastic; wouldn't have noticed it and polluted the entire county landfill without this thread :shock: )

gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 pm

It's a passive device. Take it apart and you should see that.

Post the photos of the insides when you do.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm

You should saw the thing in half somehow and find out!
Attempted new signature...

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 pm

It is possible it does but unlikely, USB-C is capable of transporting up to 20V at 5 amps but this is generally from the wall to the device to charge something large such as a laptop. Most commonly USB-C ports on a computer are going to be supplying 5V power at around 1 amp, plenty to power an adapter.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:18 pm

They have extra labels that had to be inventoried and needed to be used somewhere to get the labels' value off the books. :oops:
TheirMMV :|
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm

There are none of the usual warnings regarding batteries about this product on Samsung or any other suppliers websites. It does show warnings for California about cancer causing materials, just about all products have this, but nothing else.