Class B RV. Travato vs Roadtrek vs Suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Class B RV. Travato vs Roadtrek vs Suggestions?

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm thinking of getting a Class B Rv.
Maybe "lifestyle creep" but why not.

Winnebago Travato $$$ vs Roadtrek 210 $$ vs other suggestions>?

Requirements are:
DW and I. Retired. Mostly for me solo.
Spine friendly.
Frig, bathroom/shower, stove, microwave.
Not too large, easy to park, versatile, fits in a normal parking space if possible.
No budget restriction.

Anyone with experiences and suggestions to help me shop better?
What should I be looking for?

Thanks,
j :D

retire57

Re: Class B RV. Travato vs Roadtrek vs Suggestions?

Post by retire57 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Mr. Sandtrap,

I'm a fan of the Roadtreks. As a matter of fact, I am writing this from my 2010 RT Popular - all snug in a campground on Lake Erie. I'm on a month-long trip at present, and have traveled solo for 5 years and over 60,000 miles in my beloved Roadie. (DH hates to travel.)

You can't beat the 190 for ease of driving, parking, and versatility. My RT is at home in big cities and in the middle of the desert.

The 190 is 6.7 feet wide and about 20 feet long and therefore fits in a regulation parking spot. The 210 is wider and longer, so parking is more difficult (or so the owners tell me). But the 210 feels so much bigger inside. RT has many models and I suggest you explore all of them in person. (Facebook has a very active RT owners group, if you want some more info).

(Edited to correct dimensional specs.)
Last edited by retire57 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 pm

I too have a RoadTrek. Bought the upper end of the line on the MB chassis with all the electronic geewhiz you can imagine.

Actually everything on mine works as it should and I have no complaints with the rig. It's 23 feet, and I have never had a problem finding a place to park.

However it is complicated, and others have had a lot of problems with RT's high-tech gadgetry, most of which the dealers are clueless about.

If I did it again I'd get the plain-Jane RT on a Chevy chassis with traditional RV features.

MrGreen

Post by MrGreen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Since you have a Toyota Tundra, maybe check out these:
http://www.fourwh.com/

I don’t own one, but see a lot of them out there, especially in the Southwest.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

MrGreen wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm
Since you have a Toyota Tundra, maybe check out these:
http://www.fourwh.com/

I don’t own one, but see a lot of them out there, especially in the Southwest.
Thanks. I've been drooling over those for decades. The "Hawk" model would fit the Tundra perfectly and no problem handling the weight with ease. Also the ability to go off asphalt of which there is a lot out here. I'm surrounded by 4 national parks.

But as I'm older I'm thinking of perhaps alternatives that are more senior spine friendly.
I do plan to visit the Four Wheel Camper factory. Always wanted to do that.
I'm lucky enough to have a large budget in retirement so I'm now looking at alternatives that I didn't before retirement.
Also have been drooling over the Roadtreks for decades.

Thanks again.'
j

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 pm

retire57 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 pm
Hi Mr. Sandtrap,

I'm a fan of the Roadtreks. As a matter of fact, I am writing this from my 2010 RT Popular - all snug in a campground on Lake Erie. I'm on a month-long trip at present, and have traveled solo for 5 years and over 60,000 miles in my beloved Roadie. (DH hates to travel.)

You can't beat the 190 for ease of driving, parking, and versatility. My RT is at home in big cities and in the middle of the desert.

The 190 is 6 feet wide and 19 feet long and therefore fits in a regulation parking spot. The 210 is 8 feet wide and 21 feet long, so parking is more difficult. But the 210 feels so much bigger inside. RT has many models and I suggest you explore all of them in person. (Facebook has a very active RT owners group, if you want some more info).
I believe the 190 is more like 6.5ft wide and the 210 is closer to 7.5ft - both without mirrors. When I last looked there was less than 1ft difference in the exterior width. They both have a longer wheelbase than the 170, which makes them less easy to maneuver.

I don't think you can compare a soft-sided truck camper with any RT - different RVs for completely different purposes. When you get into a hard-sided camper you have a reasonable comparison but there are clear pros and cons to each - and you're no longer looking at a half-ton truck, but of course the RTs are built on a 3/4 or 1ton chassis as well.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 pm
retire57 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 pm
Hi Mr. Sandtrap,

The 190 is 6 feet wide and 19 feet long and therefore fits in a regulation parking spot. The 210 is 8 feet wide and 21 feet long, so parking is more difficult. But the 210 feels so much bigger inside. RT has many models and I suggest you explore all of them in person. (Facebook has a very active RT owners group, if you want some more info).
I believe the 190 is more like 6.5ft wide and the 210 is closer to 7.5ft - both without mirrors. When I last looked there was less than 1ft difference in the exterior width. They both have a longer wheelbase than the 170, which makes them less easy to maneuver.

I don't think you can compare a soft-sided truck camper with any RT - different RVs for completely different purposes. When you get into a hard-sided camper you have a reasonable comparison but there are clear pros and cons to each - and you're no longer looking at a half-ton truck, but of course the RTs are built on a 3/4 or 1ton chassis as well.
So true.
Thus. Roadtrek (190 or 210), Winnebago Travato$$$$$, Pleasure Way, etc . . Class B. Super senior friendly. :D
Though I think the Travato is a bit too large for regular parking spaces in case that is needed.
I plan to travel across the nation and canada, etc. So it would be nice if it fit in all the handicap parking spaces in the national parks, etc.
I did not know the width difference between the 190 and 210. I have been on the website but didn't catch that.There are a
lot of used ones that come up in PHX because of the high retiree population so thats an option besides new.
I plan to also spend time in the better hotels and resorts, so the RV is there to add to those location options and give me a lot more flexibility to travel.
Thanks,
j :D

Alice Ranch

Post by Alice Ranch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 am

We love our Travato. Purchased 2017.5 G this past July. It's 6'9" wide, 9'1" tall, 21 feet long. It fits in a regular parking spot but will stick out a bit like a work van. It's way easier to drive than pulling our 19" foot Forest River travel trailer which we love and still keep. The Travato gets anywhere from 14 - 20 mpg depending on conditions. Chassis is Ram and coach is Winnebago. Sleeps 4 but can't imagine 4 adults. It's just DH, me and 2 small dogs, its compact size is not for everyone. For more info on this rig and its folks there is a Facebook group, hope it's OK to name it, search for Travato Owners and Wannabees. It's a helpful group as Travato is fully loaded, solar, batteries, AC, propane, cooktop, heating and air, microwave, marine toilet, shower, media center, auto awning, things sometimes stop working and there are amazing folks who know fixes, folks modify to their tastes and show the rest of us how, almost everyone travels with dogs or cats. Recently arranged via FB to meet with T folks in person off beaten track at Lone Pine Film Festival, wonderful trip. Good luck!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am

Alice Ranch wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 am
We love our Travato. Purchased 2017.5 G this past July. It's 6'9" wide, 9'1" tall, 21 feet long. It fits in a regular parking spot but will stick out a bit like a work van. It's way easier to drive than pulling our 19" foot Forest River travel trailer which we love and still keep. The Travato gets anywhere from 14 - 20 mpg depending on conditions. Chassis is Ram and coach is Winnebago. Sleeps 4 but can't imagine 4 adults. It's just DH, me and 2 small dogs, its compact size is not for everyone. For more info on this rig and its folks there is a Facebook group, hope it's OK to name it, search for Travato Owners and Wannabees. It's a helpful group as Travato is fully loaded, solar, batteries, AC, propane, cooktop, heating and air, microwave, marine toilet, shower, media center, auto awning, things sometimes stop working and there are amazing folks who know fixes, folks modify to their tastes and show the rest of us how, almost everyone travels with dogs or cats. Recently arranged via FB to meet with T folks in person off beaten track at Lone Pine Film Festival, wonderful trip. Good luck!
Thanks so much. I've been following the "Fit" youtube videos as they have a Travato.
It comes in 2 rear bed configurations.
What do you have?
Why did you pick that over the other?

I did read a lot that the Ram chassis was the better one to have.
Is your Travato gas or diesel?

The Roadtreks seem to have very low ground clearance. Is the Travato higher and better off asphalt.?

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Roadtrek Agile Here,,,,2014
We have put 58000 miles on it since purchasing.
I can't compare it to other Class Bs as I did not look at any other manufacturers or models.
I knew about Roadtrek before I was in the market .
Top notch quality,great customer service(that is critical)
Excellent warranty
We thoroughly enjoy the "freedom" it affords us
We can go must anywhere,,,and sleep most anywhere :happy
You only live once :happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Toons wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm
I can't compare it to other Class Bs as I did not look at any other manufacturers or models.
Excellent warranty
Balanced funds.
Wellesley/Wellington.
Cool Avatar
And now a . . . Roadtrek. . .
will the envy never end. . . . . :shock:
Thanks,
j. :D
I will look into the "Agile" model for sure.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 pm
Toons wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm
Excellent warranty
Balanced funds.
Wellesley/Wellington.
Cool Avatar
And now a . . . Roadtrek. . .
will the envy never end. . . . . :shock:
Thanks,
j. :D
I will look into the "Agile" model for sure.

Lololol....Too funny Sandtrap :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Alice Ranch

Post by Alice Ranch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am
Alice Ranch wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 am
Thanks so much. I've been following the "Fit" youtube videos as they have a Travato.
It comes in 2 rear bed configurations.
What do you have?
Why did you pick that over the other?

I did read a lot that the Ram chassis was the better one to have.
Is your Travato gas or diesel?

The Roadtreks seem to have very low ground clearance. Is the Travato higher and better off asphalt.?
We have the G model. It has a dinette which converts to a single bed. Our friends have the K with its side by side single beds but no dinette. The dinette is also handy as a workstation. The front seats both swivel 180 to face the dinette and TV monitor. It's a little effort but easy to change over to a bed at night.

Our Ram is gas. Front console comes with TomTom navigator, satellite radio, Bluetooth to sync to your smartphone, rear view camera when you reverse. Ram Promaster chassis with front wheel drive. Probably more expensive to service MB.

The T appeals to solo travelers. On our recent trip to Lone Pine we met a retired librarian and artist from back East, she is in her 3rd year on the road traveling with her cat and painting. You know you can visit all national parks in the lower 48 in one circuit.

Ground clearance is only a little bit more than 6 inches. We changed the rear springs to Sumo Springs (ordered them online then had Ram dealer install) and gained another inch plus got a more solid ride. Drives fine on smooth dirt roads. Probably would do the road to Bodie ok, that was a super bumpy road a couple years back.

BTW Winnebago just debut'd a 4WD class B called Revel. The Millenials are loving it, apparently.

Be sure to visit the Travato group on Facebook. Amazing resource.
Cheers