Where to notarize legal zoom documents? Trouble getting witnesses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kjvmartin

Where to notarize legal zoom documents? Trouble getting witnesses

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:54 pm

I purchased some estate documents for my wife and I on Legal Zoom.

Last will, living will, and two different power of attorney forms. At least some of these need to be notarized. Where's the standard place to get a will notarized? Do most places of business have extra people around who can serve as the two witnesses? All of our closer family/friends are typically working during the hours we'd be able to arrange this, and the one that isn't would probably be watching out kids while we run an errand along these lines. Further, they don't want anyone named in the will to be a witness. We've been sitting on this stack of papers for over a month and want to handle it in the next day or two. Any advice?

renue74

Re: Where to notarize legal zoom documents? Trouble getting witnesses

Post by renue74 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Your local bank. If you're a customer most banks do it for no fee.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:56 pm

UPS Store.

Also be very careful that you read the instructions for witnesses and execute it properly. I have seen this messed up before.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:05 pm

LarryAllen wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:56 pm
UPS Store.

Also be very careful that you read the instructions for witnesses and execute it properly. I have seen this messed up before.
We used to go to the local bank branch, but they now restrict their notary service to bank documents.
They suggested that we go to a local UPS store, which surprised us.
Sure enough, online search showed several with the service (and the hours).

They had other employees there who served as the witnesses.
Very quick, very easy.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Agree with the others, UPS store or some other similar type of mail box/delivery business. In terms of witness, they don't seem to have any problems getting one. I was actually waiting in line at a UPS store and they asked if I minded serving as a witness for a simple document being signed by person in line in front of me - took all of 30 seconds.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

What they said above. Sometimes your bank and if not the bank then UPS store.

Even though it is a nuisance it may be worth having it witnessed by someone who knows you. I think expecially the living will, as witnessing means that some close to you are aware of your intentions and can even speak to your state of mind at the time.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Last time I needed two witnesses to sign a notarized document, the bank told me that their employees were prohibited from serving as witnesses for liability reason. I did not know about such a service at the UPS stores.

How much does the UPS store charge for such a service in your area?

invst65

Post by invst65 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:27 pm

I always go to Amscot down the road when I need a notary. I think it costs $10.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:47 pm

I believe the witness and notarization requirements for wills may differ by state. Make sure to comply with applicable state requirements.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:22 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:47 pm
I believe the witness and notarization requirements for wills may differ by state. Make sure to comply with applicable state requirements.
Agreed.

I see notarized wills here in California all the time. Notaries are not supposed to notarize wills in CA. They can be one of the witnesses but they aren't supposed to notarize it. Notaries are generally needed for the remainder of the documents.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Normally your signature on a will does not need to be notarized, only witnessed. However, a "self-proving" will has the signatures of the witnesses notarized. This theoretically removes the need for the witnesses to ever appear before the probate court. I don't know how often it ever comes up or whether it really works that way.

In many states, the witnesses can't be beneficiaries, so as mentioned check your state's requirements. I have thought about, if I ever needed a new will with self-proving witnesses, calling professional notaries and asking if they could provide people to serve as witnesses.

I normally get my notary done at the bank.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:37 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 pm
Last time I needed two witnesses to sign a notarized document, the bank told me that their employees were prohibited from serving as witnesses for liability reason. I did not know about such a service at the UPS stores.

How much does the UPS store charge for such a service in your area?
We've become big users of the UPS store's notary services doing paperwork for upcoming adoption. You should call first to find out the times the notary will be in - some days they leave earlier than others. It's always been $4 per document at every UPS store we've used.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:59 pm

I was having documents notarized at my local bank and needed 2 witnesses. It was a large main branch. They enlisted the help of fellow well known customers and agents there that were not employees.

gretah

Post by gretah » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Hire a professional mobile notary to make certain all the laws are followed properly.

www.NotaryRotary.com has a directory of notaries online. The best in the US, IMO. Look for the Find a Notary tab.
Read the profiles to find the most experienced ones.

I would never go to a bank or UPS notary for something this important.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Many notary services that I am familar with are open until 7 or 8 pm as well as on Saturdays. My experience has been that each service has its own policy as to whether employees can serve as a witness.