undiagnosed health (GI) issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
22doubledeuce22

undiagnosed health (GI) issue

Post by 22doubledeuce22 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 am

Greetings.

I'm having a very difficult time getting my condition diagnosed. I have had GI issues going back about four months now. I'm in my late 30s and feel no physical effects of it. I switched to a vegetarian diet in an effort to break free of it about 2 months ago and also consumed a vegan diet for more than 2 weeks of this time to try and get things back to normal function.

So far, in an effort to get my condition diagnosed, I have had bloodwork done four times and stool samples submitted twice.

My problem is that I have had diarrhea or oily stools, consistently, for about 4 months (and frequent gas). Trying to find any information on the internet about this usually leads down an endless rat hole that arrives at comedy, humor, or adult content. It doesn't seem like my local medical system has too much interest in trying to determine what is going on. My symptoms started while I was on a cruise boat and I'm worried that I picked up something from someone from a different continent - something which most docs in the states wouldn't likely be familiar with.

I need to accomplish, or at least attempt to accomplish a hard reset of my digestive system, as best as I can guess. I expect to try the following in the next few weeks - and am looking for any ideas or places to turn for help. Are there any extensive stool tests, which might yield greater information than the previous ones I've completed - some sort of exhaustive test? At some point, I'll likely need to get a colonoscopy - I'm not sure what info that would provide, which would answer my questions.

1. 5 day fast
2. antibiotics to alter stomach bacteria
3. a diet with only unprocessed foods

If you have any info that could help me - a place where more information is available, etc., I'd genuinely appreciate it.

mouses

Re: undiagnosed health (GI) issue

Post by mouses » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 am

If this were me, I'd make an appointment at an excellent teaching hospital to get this diagnosed. If you have picked up some parasite, messing with diet seems unlikely to do any good, and I suspect the random GI doctor is not going to find it.

The CDC website says:
The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene: www.astmh.org
The International Society of Travel Medicine: www.istm.org

I remember reading years ago that the usual test for giardia missed instances, and there was some new better test for it, but I can't find that on the web.

As soon as the mods wake up, they are probably going to lock this thread as dealing with medical advice.

prudent

Re: undiagnosed health (GI) issue

Post by prudent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:46 am

Topic is locked (medical issue). Medical issues are off-topic by forum policy.