Amazon Prime - Decline in Delivery Service?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rashen

Re: Amazon Prime - Decline in Delivery Service?

Post by Rashen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 am

amazon is using amazon Flex to deliver the packages in many big cities and areas adjacent to them.
Amazon Flex relies on regular Joes with SUVs and vans to deliver your packages (cheaper than using UPS or FedEx).
As you can imagine, there is a lot of human error and inconsistency when you pursue this cheap route for delivering packages.

Two day delivery was a standard for amazon. Now you can easily order on Tuesday morning and get the stuff on Friday "by 8 pm".

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 pm

We're in the mountains outside Albuquerque and in the past year I've noticed that Prime may mean more than 2 days when it was more consistent before. I'm guessing it's a city vs. rural thing.

Also Prime often means it's transferred to the local post office for the last mile vs. using UPS (which are great up here). I don't see any rhyme or reason as to which products this happens to or who is choosing to do this (UPS or Amazon). But like a poster said, our post office gets it in the morning, our Tracking reports it as "delivered" or "out for delivery" – but then we don't get it until the next day. And if then if it won't fit in the box, we get a slip to pick it up – which means driving to the post office about 3 miles away. Can be quite annoying. I wish I could tell Amazon not to USPS anything above a certain size so at least it will fit in the box. (You can tell USPS is struggling as they just installed a duplicate bank of mailboxes as they were running out of large package boxes.)

I think I will start complaining to Amazon when Prime ends up being late and at least get credit or something; I didn't know that worked!

I hope they do add a feature to choose UPS or USPS. The reason is that if the package IS delayed, UPS charges a $5 vacation hold; so we have to avoid ordering anything too close to a vacation. Meanwhile, the post office stores our mail for free when we travel.

BTW, I almost always get the option when checking out to get $1 in digital credit if I choose the Standard 5-day shipping (I've got $9 in credit right now). Amazon are more likely to give that option if you buy small cheap stuff, so sometimes I'll check out things separately...! :wink:

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 am

Prime subscriber, Central NJ

Actually things have improved over the past year or so. There was a period when there was a decline in service when Amazon switched over to USPS from UPS, however the USPS at least in my area seems to have gotten it's ducks in a row in the past year or so and I get reliable 2 day service with Prime, plus the added benefit of occasional Sunday deliveries.

In addition the end result is I now get my stuff earlier in the day. When it was UPS I'd get things at 7PM or so. Later during the holiday rush. Now they come before noon. That is a significant improvement!

Of course this is for in-stock stuff that is fulfilled by Amazon. Third parties that ship on their own or out of stock items are expectedly less quick to come.

The most extreme case is the Chinese vendors who ship from China. That could be a month! So read the listing carefully.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Oddly enough, just today, a package ordered via Amazon Prime, "2-day delivery," that was scheduled to arrive today--didn't:

It is probably not a coincidence that the carrier is neither UPS or USPS, but "AMZL US." Never heard of them before, but that is "Amazon Logistics." I've probably gotten shipments, just never noticed; those are probably the shipments that are delivered by people in lime-green safety vests driving unmarked passenger sedans.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm
My experience is that used to be the case but non-prime shipping performance has recently become very slow. I swear they hold the orders for a few days just to encourage people to become Prime members.
I am absolutely convinced this is the case. I live close to an Amazon DC and find that non-prime free shipping orders are often held until the day before the "5-8 business days" window is about to close. Then they ship and the item gets delivered the next day.

The exception to this is around the holidays. Stuff ordered then gets shipped almost immediately. I assume it's because they're so overwhelmed with orders that they'll get anything out the door that they can.