What are you driving? And would you buy your current ride again?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Afty

Re: What are you driving? And would you buy your current ride again?

Post by Afty »

2008 Infiniti G35 sedan with manual transmission, 100k miles. Bought it off lease in 2011 for the price of a 4-cylinder Accord or Camry. I love this car -- it's fast (306 hp!), handles well, and has been super reliable. Would definitely buy one again. As it approaches 10 years old, I've started to think about replacing it, but I can't think of a newer car that I would rather own. So I will probably stick with it for another 3-5 years.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

2000 Avalon XLS. And, uh, at this point, no, though it has been a great car and I'm hoping it holds out another few years...as for new Avalons, I have no idea what they're like.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:00 pm
miles monroe wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm 2011 honda element.

i'd buy it again -- its perfect for my lifestyle -- but they don't make it anymore.
+1
DW drove one forever until a deer hit it one dark night. Totaled the front end.
It was reliable and very useful.
Did the deer hit your DW or was it the other way around? I hope the deer carried insurance! :sharebeer
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

2013 Ford Taurus. Bought it new because it was relatively cheap and decent sized. It has served its purpose and has 110k miles. Would I buy another? Probably not for various reasons. I’d probably look at a low mileage Avalon (we drove one of those for years). My wife drives a 2012 Lexus ES 300 bought used. Yes would buy this again.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I have a 2015 Camry XLE which replaced my 1999 Camry XLE.
I liked my 1999 so much I replaced it with the same when the time came.
If I ever purchase another car and they still make the Camry, it will be my next purchase.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

Me: 2012 F-150 Supercrew with about 73K miles. Would have it again in a heartbeat.

Wife: 2007 H3 Hummer with about 84K miles. She loves it; safest vehicle she has ever owned in her estimation. Can no longer buy new; wouldn't want to buy a used one.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

2012 Chevy Impala........bought it as a program vehicle with 27K miles. Very nice ride and an inexpensive purchase.....would buy again.

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. This is our first new vehicle purchase in 20+ years...also first pickup truck. Wife absolutely loves it....me too. Only had it for 3 months so don't know if it would be something I'd buy again. In fact, this may be the last vehicle I own......it may out live me!
badger42

Post by badger42 »

2010 Subaru Forester. Purchased new because used was barely cheaper. Base model, downright agricultural in its level of refinement (complete with the 4-speed automatic). Total Swiss Army car - It goes on roads, off roads, in the city (tight conditions), road trips, Costco and airport runs, kid hauler, hitch for the bikes, but it still fits honestly in a compact parking space. It's not the perfect vehicle for anything, but it does everything. Would definitely buy again.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

2010 Subaru Forester and 2015 Subaru Forester. These are our 4th and 5th Foresters, so, yes, we'd buy another. They keep making them more comfortable and with better mpg.
Hey, if something works so well, why fix it?
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

2009 nissan cube 6 speed manual with 25K miles, purchased new in 2009... plus two bikes- a 1970's vintage english 3 speed and my latest sweet ride- a fully loaded dutch oma - 8 speed internal hub, full chaincase, shimano rollerbrakes, dynamo hub with front and rear lights, brooks sprung saddle and waterproof panniers- the perfect slow all weather ride.

love my cube, its tiny outside but huge inside, great for driving and parking in the city and rides like a recliner duct taped to a gocart ( which i think is great because you can't take anything too seriously driving a boxy fishbowl) but i don't drive that much.

if i ever get a new car- it will be electric, small and boxy (good use of space) and hopefully some sort of shared ownership for costco and hd runs.... unless i get utility bike with trailer :D

there is a new post re new cars with ugly grills, i totally agree! their face and body styling look very aggressive from a pedestrian/slow cyclist point of view. like land sharks with gaping open mouths
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

Just finished a 2 day drive towing the boat with my '07 4Runner V-8.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but Toyota doesn't make a 4Runner with over 7,000 lb tow capacity anymore.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

We have a 13 Acura MDX and 14 Honda Odyssey. Both vehicles have been very good to us with just regular maintenance. I would definitely buy both again. Actually, the new 17 MDX and 18 Odyssey are looking nice too. I have to resist the urge to splurge... and sit back in the comfort of knowing that I have no car note right now :D
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

2007 BMW Z4.
Fun car and I would buy again. However, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who deals with a long commute.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

'15 CR-V. We will drive the wheels off it, love it.

'18 Equinox. Ultra cheap lease. Not my favorite car, but has filled a need for the next two years. Couldn't afford a '17 CR-V. I plan to replace it with a pre-owned '17 CR-V in a couple years.
skinhealer

Post by skinhealer »

Honda Accord ' 94 397K drove for about 18 yrs drove a lot highway miles mainly

Honda odyssey 2012 till now 110K
cantos

Post by cantos »

What's the purpose of this thread? So far, it simply proves that people like vehicles that they have paid tens of thousands of dollars for, from a Civic to a Camry to a Wrangler to a BMW to a Hummer. Confirmation bias probably at work. Though I'll grant that most vehicles are quite nice these days.
bta15

Post by bta15 »

2016 chevy Silverado 1500...I would probably buy a 2500 for additional towing capacity if I could do it over
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Daryl wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:47 am
Mr.BB wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am I traded in my 2007 Honda Civic EX 270,000 miles at the end of February, and I bought a new 2017 Honda Civic Ex. Just hope I can get the same mileage out of this car.
If I was averaging 27K miles annually, I'l probably spend a little more than $20K on a car; however, the new Civics really are awesome. I just bought one myself.
+1. I do really like my new Civic. I could have bought it with extra bells and whistles like leather interior and some extra conveniences, but I beat the crap out of my car and I'm pretty comfortable in it so I rather put a few thousand dollars extra into my Roth account.... LOL
My next car if this goes 10 years be my retirement car then I'll buy a more luxury car then.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

2007 Toyota Corolla. It has about 32,000 miles. It replaced a 1991 Geo Prism (I bought it used in 1992), which is basically a Corolla. I got 15 years from the Prism, and I expect to get at least 15 years from the Corolla because I will have unfettered access to my IRA in 5 years from now.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

cantos wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 pm What's the purpose of this thread?
If you don't see the point of any thread you don't have to post in it. I'm doubtful about the value of this thread as well but FWIW:

2015 Lexus RX 450h
2013 Porsche Boxster S

Too early to say on the 450h. I was purchased just a month ago. However, it was purchased because we were very happy with the 400h it replaced which was totaled in an accident. The Boxster has been reliable but has had some fit and finish issues that I wouldn't expect for a vehicle in its price range and class but we would probably buy another away for the performance and driving experience. That is, unless Honda came out with something like the S2000 again. Or if the new Supra came in a convertible which seems unlikely.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

1997 Acura Integra, which they don't make anymore, so no. But considering that I've had it since high school and now have two kids, my requirements for a new car have changed quite a bit.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Daily Driver- 2016 WRX STI: Yes, would buy again. I can't really think of another car that would tick all my boxes. I wanted something quick with 4 doors and 4 usable seats, manual transmission, and hydraulic power steering (hate the feel of electric). It fits child seats much better than other turbo AWD cars and also has a very big trunk for a car its size (despite the lack of the hatchback style). Only downside is lackluster fuel economy and the foibles of Subaru's ancient EJ257 motor they've been using on the car since 2004.

Project/Fun- 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider: Yes and No. I have a bit of a special attachment and history with this car- it was purchased as a "lifetime" car, and has so many one-off parts on it that it's not really possible to buy another one like it- or even build one that is identical. Sometimes I do wish I had had just purchased a Miata instead- but just about everything that can be done to a Miata has been done.

Spouse's car: 2006 Chevy Equinox. This is sort of the opposite of the "Car-guy" cars that I like to drive, but it gets the job done and has been cheap to own and operate. In the future, I'd like something that can tow the Alfa, so I probably won't buy another. However, one could do worse for basic family transport.
travellight

Post by travellight »

cantos wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 pm What's the purpose of this thread? So far, it simply proves that people like vehicles that they have paid tens of thousands of dollars for, from a Civic to a Camry to a Wrangler to a BMW to a Hummer. Confirmation bias probably at work. Though I'll grant that most vehicles are quite nice these days.
I find it useful for any negative comments on the cars. I think it is actionable to be forewarned if the negatives are acceptable to me.

I own:

2010 Kia Borrego. Overall okay but the driver's seat doesn't conform to me well so I would not buy it again.

2008 Cadillac STS: Great seats and the seat belt is the best, I can't even tell it is on. I would buy it again because it was such a great deal. I bought it used for 25k$ with about 50k miles on it, 2 years old. It was immaculate and felt/smelled/drove like new. Only negative is fuel efficiency (18 mpg) and tank is slightly small.

2017 Tesla S: I love how this car drives but there are a couple of negatives: Paint job is "soft" and vulnerable, AC has a little weak for me, and seat belt for a petite person is not a good fit. The drive experience is fantastic though. I would probably buy it again, just depends on the price.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Family cars are:

2013 Toyota Alphard (great for large groups)
2012 Mercedes E-Class

I didn't buy them and don't drive, but enjoy riding in the backseat.
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

2017 Dodge Durango - 10k miles Luv this truck , yes would buy again , sporty, huge three row seats, comfortable , looks great.

2017 Dodge Charger R/T - Looks great, Fast , great exhaust sound. Was what i was looking for now in a modern yet retro American muscle car with a V8 370HP with 4 doors
praxis

Post by praxis »

2014 Tahoe Z71
Yes
We drive this truck packed full of gear 1200 miles and return to our 2nd home in the mountains usually 3 times/year. It is heavy and quiet and does not wear us out on the 18 hour drive. Once we're in the mountains we drive steep, high centered rocky roads in the snow and ice in winter and tow our trailer loaded with ATVs or kayaks in summer. I'd love to get better than 20 mpg but need the features this truck provides. PS I like Cooper tires.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

2015 Mazda CX-5. Very happy with it and would buy it again. Not one problem in 3+ years.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

Barefoot wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:02 pm Just finished a 2 day drive towing the boat with my '07 4Runner V-8.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but Toyota doesn't make a 4Runner with over 7,000 lb tow capacity anymore.

I drive a 2010 4Runner and would also buy it again gladly. I do wish the v8 was still an option however.
tacster

Post by tacster »

2017 BMW 330i. Would buy it again in a heartbeat only next time I'd add heads-up display and maybe step up to a 340i. My first BMW and far and away the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. In fact since it's looking like a sunny day here today I'm about to log off and go for a drive. Just for fun.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Drive a 2001 Dodge Stratus. Would definitely buy again. Although I'm hoping it can hold out long enough that my next car would be my dream car - a DeLorean.
Calico

Post by Calico »

2005 Pontiac Vibe. I bought it new and put 150k on it. It runs great and is as reliable as ever. It looks great too (people ask me if it's new... I keep it in the garage so the paint isn't faded and such and I keep good care of the interior too).

I won't buy another one because they don't make them anymore. If they did still make them, I would. The closest cousin to it would be the Toyota Corolla iM (the Pontiac Vibe has a Corolla engine and the Corolla iM is a hatchback like the Vibe).
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
Riley15

Post by Riley15 »

Talk about confirmation Bias! Have not seen one reply that they would not buy the same car again. Maybe it is about wanting what you have.. :happy
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

2016 Toyota Tacoma - yes, would buy again in a heartbeat. My first truck and I really love her!

2006 Honda Civic Si - yes, would definitely buy again. Very cheap to own and easy to maintain.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

Riley15 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:38 pm Talk about confirmation Bias! Have not seen one reply that they would not buy the same car again. Maybe it is about wanting what you have.. :happy
OK, I will bite. 2015 GMC Yukon Denali. AC gone out twice on my dime, Transmission replaced under warranty. Motorized back lift gate replaced on my dime. So NO, Never again.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

2009 Honda Fit base.

I'd buy it again I might fork over the extra for the sport. I sometimes miss not having cruise control.

The only downsides are
-dents, chips, and scratches very easily
-A/C sucks had to replace compressor
-Transmission delicate but no major problems
-seats can get uncomfortable on long drives
-interior plastic parts and features not great.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Riley15 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:38 pm Talk about confirmation Bias! Have not seen one reply that they would not buy the same car again. Maybe it is about wanting what you have.. :happy
I posted on my Kia borrego, no.
Riley15

Post by Riley15 »

travellight wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:57 pm
I posted on my Kia borrego, no.
Maybe I missed that. But the overwhelming majority is they will buy again. I guess that speaks to the relationship we develop with our cars over time.
Last edited by Riley15 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edie

Post by Edie »

2011 Prius, would buy again, but when it gets replaced, the replacement should be a full electric, and hopefully there will be fully self-driving vehicles by then too :) (another 10-12 years is the plan, crossing my fingers to no longer drive myself to work, but let the vehicle do the job instead)

2017 Chrysler Pacifica, would buy again. The cargo space is incredible, and family road trips are so much more comfortable. We drive to Mexico 3-4 times a year, and I'm thinking about purchasing a couple SUPs since we have the extra space :mrgreen:
Green Nut

Post by Green Nut »

2015 Audi S5. Purchased 1 year ago used with 7k miles, have 18k now. So far I love the car and would buy again. Even though I'm still under mfg warranty for 18 more months I often wonder when the Audi-reliability hammer will drop, yet I'm reassured the generation I have is reliable.
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

Mercedes E63S 2016
You are only middle aged once.
Yes, I would buy it again, but bargain harder.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

The first part is easy, a 1995 Ford Bronco (full-sized, of course). The second is not so easy, as the question is vague.

Do you mean:

1. If I could back in time to the point where I bought this, would I do it again? The answer is yes.

2. Would I buy another 95 Bronco now if I needed replacement? Possibly, if I could find one I liked.

3. Buy a current model? No, they stopped making them in 1996.
Plutus

Post by Plutus »

2012 Ram 1500 - Just rolled over 101,000 miles. Other than oil changes and new tires at 55,000 miles, I haven't had to do any maintenance on it. I haven't even had to change the brakes yet! Would definitely buy it again and plan too, but my goal is to get another 100k miles out of this one before replacing. Has been a great all around vehicle for me, the crew cab is huge, lots of power with the v8, tows my boat, use it for hunting, and it is great for tailgating. It is also my daily driver.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Riley15 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 pm But the overwhelming majority is they will buy again.
I think rather than confirmation bias, maybe this thread reflects that BH buy their cars aware of the potential foibles and compromises. In the list above, there have been a lot of caveats with economy cars and with spendy cars, too. I've bought plenty of cars that I didn't "love" but I knew I wouldn't love them when I bought them. They were a compromise that met most of the requirements for as little money as possible. Even for performance cars, the same criteria seem to apply in this forum -- nobody's buying a Ferrari hoping they're going to get a big raise in two years.

I've cautioned people to not buy their "dream" house. I think the same goes for cars. When you're seeking your dream car, there is an endless cycle of "but for a few more dollars, I could get this [better, faster, newer] car instead..." And in the end, it's probably not perfect, either.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Sodapop

Post by Sodapop »

2002 Ford Ranger, Super Cab, 4X4, 157,000 miles. Definitely would buy again...bought it used 10 years ago for $7k...I honestly think I could sell it now for what I paid then. Zero depreciation or very little at worst. It's been flawless, nothing serious ever...Definitely would buy again...that is if this one ever gives up....not likely. Exceptionally bullet proof! Sounds like the Ford Ranger is returning to the US next year...so maybe 10 year's from now I'll buy a newer used model.

My wife has a 2016 Mazda CX 5...loves it. Just oil changes and go, so far. Super fun to drive, zoom zoom zoom.
G12

Post by G12 »

2014 Ford Flex SEL, dog hauler, has roughly 48k miles of which ~ 44k are long distance miles. Infotainment can be a little clunky at time. It rides very well, handling can get a little twitchy at high speeds, replaced the tires about 2k ago and the new ones handle much better with stiffer sidewalls still with very good ride. Have not had anything go wrong, and this was my first "American" vehicle in about 36 years. I would have preferred the twin turbo engine, but changing out from long term ownership of asian vehicles to this, plus about a $14k price differential on something I was not 100% sold on kept me off the turbo and it's more luxurious trappings. I don't know if I will buy another, if we don't go back up to 3 or more dogs I may get something a little smaller/sportier, the Honda Ridgeline with AWD may come into play.

Swapped my wife out of her 2012 turbo Beetle for a 2017 turbo Beetle SE in December, the 2012 definitely had some punch but we started having issues and all fuel injector replacement was the last straw around 70k miles. That thing emitted some soot, too, hard to keep the immediate area above the tail pipes clean . Lost 30 HP, but the new version has greatly diminished turbo lag, quick shifts, more interior room with a quiters and better ride, and runs on regular gas. It is her favorite car she has ever owned, plus she loves its infotainment technology.
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

1999 infiniti qx4 suv - daily. would buy again in a heartbeat.
2007 aston martin v8 vantage - garage beast. would buy again faster than a heartbeat.

i do the maintenance on both.
29er

Post by 29er »

2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Definitely will buy again!
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Four Kia's. Rio,Forte,Soul & Sedona. Yes x4.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
maroon

Post by maroon »

2010 Subaru Forester - bought certified used at ~22K miles, now has ~95K miles - would buy again!
Pranav

Post by Pranav »

Toyota Corollas and Hyundai Elantra. When they reach end of life, we shall consider electric cars instead :happy
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki